Film Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker [Theories]

I would be more surprised if it was good to be honest given the lack of shared vision that has gone into telling this story. TFA was safe and charmless with weak characters while TLJ was daring and messy if nothing else( and a bit shit really), with weak characters. Hard to see how they can force any true thematic or emotional pay off from from this point with so little investment in the characters.

This is pretty much my thoughts also. I actually quite enjoyed TFA as a cinematic experience, proper popcorn stuff but TLJ gave it absolutely no support to follow up on, was very messy and felt too much like a totally separate film that started nowhere and didn't end up anywhere either (although the star destroyer scene at the end was incredible). We're now going into the last movie still knowing very little about any of the characters. So they've got to quickly create and tie up a story that hasn't actually been formed very well over the previous 2 films. It feels like a massive wasted opportunity.

I've seen some reactions that suggest Adam Driver is in it loads, and I've seen reactions that say Adam Driver barely features.

Safe to say we're all just gonna have to see it for ourselves and make our own minds up. :lol:

I’m gonna go watch it anyway but yeah most of the reviews seem pretty bad which is disappointing.

Oh Christ, the embargo has lifted. The next few months are going to be interesting. :lol:

I will praise JJ if he manages to fit in a scene thats worse than that floating Leia scene from TLJ. Im pretty sure my cinema had laughter like it was a comedy.

Im still baffled how Disney (the ones who backed the MCU) managed to have a trilogy that has different directors doing their own shit and not a outline of connecting the three movies (TFA setting mysteries, TLJ answering queries but setting crossroads, ROS, payoff)
It seemed so simple to do.

Ugh i really wanted this to be good. They havnt managed a good star wars movie outbof 6 attempts now.

It's hard to imagine it being worse than Attack of the Clones.

I mean, after those leaks weeks ago, how can anyone hope for good reviews of this movie? Whole trilogy has been a disaster, the only good thing this trilogy will bring is a new kind of respect for the prequel trilogy as they seem like masterpieces compared to these trainwrecks. And they keep pushing for terrible Brie Larson for Ahsoka Tano, that will go really well! :lol:

At least I've had my good Star Wars stories this year in Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order.

I mean, after those leaks weeks ago, how can anyone hope for good reviews of this movie? Whole trilogy has been a disaster, the only good thing this trilogy will bring is a new kind of respect for the prequel trilogy as they seem like masterpieces compared to these trainwrecks. And they keep pushing for terrible Brie Larson for Ahsoka Tano, that will go really well! :lol:

At least I've had my good Star Wars stories this year in Mandalorian and Jedi Fallen Order.

They really, really don't. Whatever flaws these films may have, they're light years ahead of the prequels in terms of basic filmmaking.

My god, prequel trilogy and fallen order as good Star Wars stories :lol:

No wonder you dislike the Watchmen!

They really, really don't. Whatever flaws these films may have, they're light years ahead of the prequels in terms of basic filmmaking.

Dont really think so. Actings a bit better but the writing is terrible. Luke becoming a cowardly recluse ready to murder his nephew at the first sign of him turning to the dark side.

Dont really think so. Actings a bit better but the writing is terrible. Luke becoming a cowardly recluse ready to murder his nephew at the first sign of him turning to the dark side.
Yeah, but ROTS had Anakin going from "OMG Palpatine is a Sith Lord!" to "Might as well go slaughter some Jedi kids" in a matter of minutes.

I doubt I’ll watch this unless people who’s opinion on Star Wars I actually consider worthwhile say it’s worth seeing.

You say that like the writing in the prequels isn't famously horrendous.

It ain't for nothing that the new films have got glowing reviews compared to the prequels. They're fundamentally better made.

Turns out that the ending is essentially as follows :

Kylo and Rey team up versus Sidious. Sidious gets the better of them both and kills Rey. Kylo revives her by giving her his life force, kisses her for two seconds and subsequently disappears like how Luke did. A revived Rey hears the voices of Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, etc, telling her to "Rise". The force imparts her the combined power to defeat Sidious. She deflects a lightning attacking right back at Sidious, who explodes into nothing. At the end, she, Finn, Poe and co. go to Tatooine, to Lars' gaff; someone asks who she is, and she responds "Rey Skywalker". So, identifying as Skywalker is a thing now, I guess. The end.

Turns out that the ending is essentially as follows :

Kylo and Rey team up versus Sidious. Sidious gets the better of them both and kills Rey. Kylo revives her by giving her his life force, kisses her for two seconds and subsequently disappears like how Luke did. A revived Rey hears the voices of Yoda, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Ahsoka, etc, telling her to "Rise". The force imparts her the combined power to defeat Sidious. She deflects a lightning attacking right back at Sidious, who explodes into nothing. At the end, she, Finn, Poe and co. go to Tatooine, to Lars' gaff; someone asks who she is, and she responds "Rey Skywalker". So, identifying as Skywalker is a thing now, I guess. The end.
:lol:

My god, prequel trilogy and fallen order as good Star Wars stories :lol:

No wonder you dislike the Watchmen!

And no wonder we get shite like this if people think this is any good. And yes, Fallen Order is Oscar worthy compared to this Trilogy.

Dear lord how the standards have fallen in the cinema and TV.

And no wonder we get shite like this if people think this is any good. And yes, Fallen Order is Oscar worthy compared to this Trilogy.

Dear lord how the standards have fallen in the cinema.

You literally love generic mediocrity in Fallen Order, and think that this trilogy being mediocre make the prequel mediocre one a masterpiece.

Yet you dislike the Watchmen tv show.

I mean, at some point you have to be a little self aware enough to realise why cinema and game standards might suffer over the years...

You literally love generic mediocrity in Fallen Order, and think that this trilogy being mediocre make the prequel mediocre one a masterpiece.

I mean, at some point you have to be a little self aware enough to realise why cinema and game standards might suffer over the years...
There's no need to be a dick just because he has terrible taste in everything ever made ever.

That is the point, Fallen Order is mediocre and still ions better than anything this trilogy has to offer. Bloody hell.

The irony in all this is astounding, I'll leave you to your brilliant "tastes".

I just shudder at the future of cinema with views like yours, oh well.

There's no need to be a dick just because he has terrible taste in everything ever made ever.

You are right, my bad :(

I'm sorry @evil_geko for pointing out your love for the mediocre, I shall strive to be better.

Then again:

The irony in all this is astounding, I'll leave you to your brilliant "tastes".

I just shudder at the future of cinema with views like yours, oh well.

You used Irony wrong.

@Redlambs no worries, lap the shite Hollywood spews on the todays sheep while they laugh at your gullibility .

Who said I like these films? You ok there bud?

Btw what is ironic is you moaning about falling standards, whilst loving things of a lower standard. You literally are like a Cod gamer laughing at a yearly Fifa release.

Btw what is ironic is you moaning about falling standards, whilst loving things of a lower standard. You literally are like a Cod gamer laughing at a yearly Fifa release.

Asking that question while putting words in my mouth, you are hilarious.

And the actual irony goes so high over your head, you can't even see it, spew more shite over them Hollywood, they seem to like it! :lol:

Now I've got a shitty memory, so I might be way off and I don't mean this as antagonising, but wasn't it you who argued that the last Jedi was so good?
Likely have you mixed with someone else as per usual.

Yeah, I think you've had one too many cookies today :lol:

(Stomp them harder EA, they seem to love it!)

Cookies? Aren't you mentioning Watchmen the whole freaking time for no reason even though I didn't say anywhere I hate it? You really are something else!

Also mentioning CoD and FIFA that I never play, who is the one who had too many of those cookies mate?

Bloody hell! Comedy gold :lol:

Cookies? Aren't you mentioning Watchmen the whole freaking time for no reason even though I didn't say anywhere I hate it? You really are something else!

Also mentioning CoD and FIFA that I never play, who is the one who had too many of those cookies mate?

Bloody hell! Comedy gold :lol:

Who said you hate it?

I read how Watchmen Season 2 is in doubt, no wonder how underwhelming it was, oh well.

Yet you moan about standards falling. I bet you can't name a single aspect of Fallen Order that hasn't been done before, and better. It's as derivative and generic as it gets.

And then there's the prequel trilogy looking like masterpieces comment...

Yeah, I'm done wumming you now, I'm beginning to feel a little bad about it :lol:

Who said you hate it?

Yet you moan about standards falling. I bet you can't name a single aspect of Fallen Order that hasn't been done before, and better. It's as derivative and generic as it gets.

And then there's the prequel trilogy looking like masterpieces comment...

Yeah, I'm done wumming you now, I'm beginning to feel a little bad about it :lol:

You really are comedy gold, how is "underwhelming" translated into "bad" ? Are we grasping at straws now laddie? "Underwhelming" means that I had so high of expectations it didn't live up to them, and expectations are subjective, but you can't comprehend those eh? Is everything so simplified in your mind?

You take everything you read literally and can't see beyond simple word meanings, another proof why cinema standard is dropping, this further strengthens my theory, cheers mate! :lol:

And don't feel bad, maybe you can improve your power of observation...maybe reading some books or something.

You say that like the writing in the prequels isn't famously horrendous.

It ain't for nothing that the new films have got glowing reviews compared to the prequels. They're fundamentally better made.

My point was that the writing in the trilogy is equally bad. TFA is just a clone of a new hope. We are never told how the empire and the sith basically came back within 2 decades afterbeing defeated. Han turned back to being a smuggler, why? Rey is conplete OP. Anakin was basically conceived by the force, but Rey becomes a jedi master with 5 min training with Luke

You really are comedy gold, how is "underwhelming" translated into "bad" ? Are we grasping at straws now laddie? "Underwhelming" means that I had so high of expectations it didn't live up to them, and expectations are subjective, but you can't comprehend those eh? Is everything so simplified in your mind?

You take everything you read literally and can't see beyond simple word meanings, another proof why cinema standard is dropping, this further strengthens my theory, cheers mate! :lol:

And don't feel bad, maybe you can improve your power of observation...maybe reading some books or something.

Hmmm, interesting sentence. Is that why you don't know what Irony means?

And why is it my fault Cinema standards are dropping? I don't like these new films at all, I think you have me mixed up like ode did. Though if I ask you to name a good film, I can guess where at least one would come from ;)

Btw, I see you can't name a single non derivative aspect about your favourite game. Not surprised, it does have plenty of flashy flashies in it!

Anyway, my apologies for having a little fun. All the best bud!

From Harry Potter to Endgame, the modern trend for the final film in a series leans towards giving an unreservedly positive review as a kind of catch-all for that's gone before. So these mediocre reviews must mean that this is properly shite.

My bad then! :lol:

It is your bad!

The Last Jedi was trash and what makes it more so, is that people seem to think it was somehow different? Just because some fat nerd decided to piss off other nerds by not doing what they wanted, yet forgetting to actually write a coherant and interesting story.

The first one was passable, if only because it felt like Star Wars at least and was so much better made than the prequel shite. Even then, it was so much ripped from other stuff, I'm surprised geko doesn't rate it as the bestest film eva!!

(Sorry geks, couldn't resist a cheap dig!)

Hmmm, interesting sentence. Is that why you don't know what Irony means?

And why is it my fault Cinema standards are dropping? I don't like these new films at all, I think you have me mixed up like ode did. Though if I ask you to name a good film, I can guess where at least one would come from ;)

Btw, I see you can't name a single non derivative aspect about your favourite game. Not surprised, it does have plenty of flashy flashies in it!

Anyway, my apologies for having a little fun. All the best bud!

Do not apologize, the fun was all mine, I mean I knew todays viewers standards dropped but you really take the cake, and who knows what those cakes had in them by reading your posts here.

And here we go again, by saying Fallen Order is much better story than pile of shite Disney produced here, which doesn't take much to do, in your eyes that made the game "masterpiece" and my "favorite game of all time" right?

You are irreparable... :lol:

It is your bad!

The Last Jedi was trash and what makes it more so, is that people seem to think it was somehow different? Just because some fat nerd decided to piss off other nerds by not doing what they wanted, yet forgetting to actually write a coherant and interesting story.

The first one was passable, if only because it felt like Star Wars at least and was so much better made than the prequel shite. Even then, it was so much ripped from other stuff, I'm surprised geko doesn't rate it as the bestest film eva!!

The last jedi made me not want to watch more Star Wars. That's sad.

It is your bad!

Yeah, but first film was passable just because it ripped of from actually good SW stories, and it ripped it so fecking much. The moment they had to actually write their own stuff it fell apart like a house of cards. This trilogy is just a mess where they changed directors where every one of them want to do their own thing while ignoring what previous one already did. They had no long term plan at all.