Spartacus vs Game of Thrones

Which show do you think is better?

• Total voters
Spartacus because it never gets boring unlike GoT which has wayyyyy too many characters and often get difficult to follow. GoT is good but too overrated.

Jupiters cock!!! GoT's better than Spartacus? Surely the god's are spreading cheeks and and ramming cock in arse!! (homage to Batiatus' character)

In all seriousness, obviously GoT is better as an overall production and story, but in terms of relentless entertainment, Spartacus does it.

Spartacus because it never gets boring unlike GoT which has wayyyyy too many characters and often get difficult to follow. GoT is good but too overrated.

Actually i'd kind of agree with that (GoT being overrated).
It doesn't work too well as a tv series and is starting to fray around the edges.
Adaptations of books in general seem really hard to get right.

Actually i'd kind of agree with that (GoT being overrated).
It doesn't work too well as a tv series and is starting to fray around the edges.
Adaptations of books in general seem really hard to get right.

wut

I thought the last season was pretty messy and was saved by little more than the set pieces.

What about it was messy? Considering that it's the most ambitious book -> TV adaptation ever attempted, for it to even have a quarter of the success it's had would be fantastic. Adapting that story for TV has been one of the biggest achievements of recent TV history, potentially one of the biggest ever.

And it's done it in style. I'd say that while it's not mindless watching, it's very engrossing and the viewers care about the characters more than in any other TV show. Despite there being about 5+ settings throughout, it all fits together well.

I don't know how anyone can call it overrated, if I'm honest. Sometimes I think people just throw that word around at anything popular just to create an opinion.

What about it was messy? Considering that it's the most ambitious book -> TV adaptation ever attempted, for it to even have a quarter of the success it's had would be fantastic. Adapting that story for TV has been one of the biggest achievements of recent TV history, potentially one of the biggest ever.

And it's done it in style. I'd say that while it's not mindless watching, it's very engrossing and the viewers care about the characters more than in any other TV show. Despite there being about 5+ settings throughout, it all fits together well.

I don't know how anyone can call it overrated, if I'm honest. Sometimes I think people just throw that word around at anything popular just to create an opinion.

Well bearing in mind i watched it a year ago at this point ...
I think it just got too spread out, with too many settings and there was very little down time i guess. It was big event, after big event, after big event.
Just felt squeezed and i think it would have benefited from being spread out over 2 seasons. Just felt kind of rushed through to me (and i was a bit grumpy with some of the cuts tbh).

It was very ambitious and some of the criticisms could be leveled at the books too. They have done a very good job of adapting it (as good as can be expected).
It was just the first season i've watched where i thought it was noticeably weaker than the book.
Im just not convinced fantasy novels like it or the lord of the rings work as movies or tv shows, they always seem to reach a point where character development is just dropped to fit in an extra 20 mins on some battle scene and i stop caring about the characters.
Overrated might not be the best term but while i thought previous seasons were brilliant i thought the most recent one was ... decent to good

GoT is clearly the better show and it upsets me greatly that people disagree with me on this.

GoT is clearly the better show and it upsets me greatly that people disagree with me on this.

Its a terrible comparison because they're both such different shows but spartacus is pretty perfect at doing what it does
The execution is fairly flawless.
I find game of thrones more interesting and enjoyable to watch but i can see the argument.

One criticism i can think of for spartacus is the casting change for Naevia.
It was just jarring and i found the replacement irritating. Otherwise it was great fun.

It really isn't. It has higher production values and is on a bigger scale. That's about it.

Characters and storylines are better in Spartacus.

I reckon a lot of the GOT votes are for those who have never watched all of the Spartacus series

Well that's down personal preference, I'd say there are many pointless/boring characters in GoT for me. I haven't read any book so I don't know anything about what is in store for us. I judge only as a TV show and it's a great one tbh, it also has its negative points just like any other shows.

Well that's down personal preference, I'd say there are many pointless/boring characters in GoT for me. I haven't read any book so I don't know anything about what is in store for us. I judge only as a TV show and it's a great one tbh, it also has its negative points just like any other shows.

There's hardly pointless characters, seeing as they cut down from 230+ to a handful for the first season alone. They had enough stuff to fit in without including pointless things as well.

I'd also say that judging on the reaction to... Certain events in the show, people care about the characters a hell of a lot. Most of them even have their own cult following.

It has negatives, but not that many (even less that are the fault of the TV show alone) and certainly way fewer than Spartacus, which is honestly some of the worst 'good' TV I've ever watched. It's abysmal and I'm lost for words at how people can not be trolling when they say it's anywhere near GoT.

Without going into spoiler territory for either show, you only have to see viewers reactions to numerous GoT events to see the power and affect these scenes/characters have over viewers. Spartacus doesn't have anything close to resembling that emotional connection with the viewers.

Without going into spoiler territory for either show, you only have to see viewers reactions to numerous GoT events to see the power and affect these scenes/characters have over viewers. Spartacus doesn't have anything close to resembling that emotional connection with the viewers.
Thats a good point and one I would make. The things that happen to characters and the aftermath on Social media was insane especially Season 3.

Both are different shows and different styles. I love them both and am glad I saw them both. But id rate GoT higher (so far). I say that because the next few seasons of GoT could go all Dexter.

There should be some sort of punishment for anyone who voted for the middle two.

I love Game of Thrones but Spartacus was one special show. I love how straight to the point it was. It really was the bee's knees. Or Jupiter's Cock, if you're so inclined.

There's hardly pointless characters, seeing as they cut down from 230+ to a handful for the first season alone. They had enough stuff to fit in without including pointless things as well.

I'd also say that judging on the reaction to... Certain events in the show, people care about the characters a hell of a lot. Most of them even have their own cult following.

It has negatives, but not that many (even less that are the fault of the TV show alone) and certainly way fewer than Spartacus, which is honestly some of the worst 'good' TV I've ever watched. It's abysmal and I'm lost for words at how people can not be trolling when they say it's anywhere near GoT.

There are many characters in GoT, I honestly wouldn't care if they were to die but I accept that everyone has a different opinion obviously, both shows are way too different to be compared anyway. Both great to watch for very different reasons.

It really isn't. It has higher production values and is on a bigger scale. That's about it.

Characters and storylines are better in Spartacus.

I reckon a lot of the GOT votes are for those who have never watched all of the Spartacus series

Bang on!

@Waldner you can't quantify viewers care about the characters more than in any other TV show.

Bang on!

@Waldner you can't quantify viewers care about the characters more than in any other TV show.

Oh sorry, I didn't realise this was a scientifically sound study we were carrying out here. I'll go fire up some of the old statistical programs and produce some quantifiable data for you Louie.

I've give you a copy of the results when it gets published in a magazine. Hopefully I make the second volume :drool:

Oh sorry, I didn't realise this was a scientifically sound study we were carrying out here. I'll go fire up some of the old statistical programs and produce some quantifiable data for you Louie.

I've give you a copy of the results when it gets published in a magazine. Hopefully I make the second volume :drool:

You dick :lol::lol:

Ok, what other shows are you comparing it to and what time frame? Other shows on TV now or other tv shows ever? Its not rocket science Waldie, how do you compare how much viewers of different shows care about the characters?

Bang on!

I've watched a lot of TV shows, True Detective, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, Lost and not one of them come close to creating an attachment between "protagonist" and viewer than GoT manages to do.

Randall is grasping at straws.

I've watched a lot of TV shows, True Detective, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, Lost and not one of them come close to creating an attachment between "protagonist" and viewer than GoT manages to do.

Randall is grasping at straws.

I disagree. Not a single GoT character would even make the top 20 list of most beloved characters in the last 20 years of tv. Its all about the brilliance in writing and execution, the summation of the story, the production and the pacing. None of the characters on the show are as popular individually as Walter White. Tony Soprano or even Rachel Green (Friends) for instance.

I disagree. Not a single GoT character would even make the top 20 list of most beloved characters in the last 20 years of tv. Its all about the brilliance in writing and execution, the summation of the story, the production and the pacing. None of the characters on the show are as popular individually as Walter White. Tony Soprano or even Rachel Green (Friends) for instance.

If you believe for a second Tyrion Lannister wouldn't make the top twenty list you're deluded.

You dick :lol::lol:

Ok, what other shows are you comparing it to and what time frame? Other shows on TV now or other tv shows ever? Its not rocket science Waldie, how do you compare how much viewers of different shows care about the characters?

It's very hard for me to explain why I think this without venturing into spoiler territory, but just look at the reaction some events in GoT have gathered on social media, normal media etc. The aftermath of some of them have been nothing short of hysteria. Some shows have one, maybe two moments like that in their time, GoT has them on a regular basis.

You could ask me to prove this further, but then I could easily ask you to prove anything that's being said in this thread and it would be impossible/very hard for you also. This isn't a subject that can be measured. That doesn't mean it can't be taken as the truth though.

Spartacus is supposed to be good but I got really turned off from it after watching the first episode and haven't gone back to it since. Horrendous CGI and battle scenes. On that basis alone I've voted for GoT.

GoT is good but rather overrated and relies on plenty of hype to carry it through. The first season was excellent but every subsequent season has gone down in quality imo. It's the soap-ish nature of the show and high production quality that attracts such huge attention.

If you believe for a second Tyrion Lannister ldn't make the top twenty list you're deluded.

Im not deluded. I was going to mention him as being the only character on the show with real indidual pull, none after that. He's still got nothing on the ones I mentioned and many others. Id say the Walking dead is the tv show right now with the most beloved characters. People are drawn to GoT for the grand scale of the production and the story straight up

Spartacus is supposed to be good but I got really turned off from it after watching the first episode and haven't gone back to it since. Horrendous CGI and battle scenes. On that basis alone I've voted for GoT.

IMO you cant make a valid comparison when you didnt watch enough of Spartacus. I think you represent the majority of the people who voted for GoT. You should be in the 'I dont know' category IMO. I implore you to watch another episode of Spartacus

Im not deluded. I was going to mention him as being the only character on the show with real indidual pull, none after that. He's still got nothing on the ones I mentioned and many others. Id say the Walking dead is the tv show right now with the most beloved characters. People are drawn to GoT for the grand scale of the production and the story straight up

The walking dead!? God man now you're taking the piss.

The walking dead!? God man now you're taking the piss.

How so? The walking dead is the most watched show on tv today. Im not even really into it. Do you see the reactions on social media when one of the characters dies or is even suggested that the character might die? GoTs most popular character died in the first season. The fans know the score, no one is safe. People are just enjoying the ride without being too attached to any single character save for the imp (and they know death is imminent)

Last edited:
How so? The walking dead is the most watched show on tv today. Im not even really into it. Do you see the reactions on social media when one of the characters dies or is even suggested that the character might die? GoTs most popular character died in the first season. The fans know the score, no one is safe. People are just enjoying the ride without being too attached to anyone character save for the imp.

Yeah, I see the reactions to TWD deaths. It's usually euphoria. "Thank feck that annoying fecker is dead" or "RIP T.Dog #7. We hardly knew ye". TWD and Spartacus, etc don't come close to providing the emotional tug on the heartstrings that GoT does.

Using TWD as a comparison is really doing your argument no favours. Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, terrible character progression, terrible story line -- and yet we still all watch every episode. And hope they all die.

Game of Thrones is probably a much better show but I went for equally as good since they both provide quality entertainment.

I chose Spartacus but that would probably be different if I hadn't read the books prior to watching Game of Thrones. Doesn't have the same impact when you know exactly what is going to happen.

Yeah, I see the reactions to TWD deaths. It's usually euphoria. "Thank feck that annoying fecker is dead" or "RIP T.Dog #7. We hardly knew ye". TWD and Spartacus, etc don't come close to providing the emotional tug on the heartstrings that GoT does.

Using TWD as a comparison is really doing your argument no favours. Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, terrible character progression, terrible story line -- and yet we still all watch every episode. And hope they all die.

When it comes to TWD, speak for yourself. The after show for TWD, Talking dead, is live after every show and it gets ridiculous ratings for a show of that nature. TWD generates more emotional attachment. I don't see how this can even be an argument and its not even a shot at GoT which is crazy popular and a great show that I watch religiously.

Last edited:
Ok, so we can all agree both shows feature it's sex and beautiful women in abundance. Here's one question, which of the shows has the hotter women? Spartacus or Game Of Thrones?

Spartacus for me.