Solskjaer's legacy and his future

This is such an dishonest way of discussion. You and me are both from scandinavia and what we know that people outside scandinavia dont know is that when Ole came back to Norway and joined this project, because that what it was, a superhyped, multimillion project with Oles face to it, there'd only be one way this would end, gold to Molde.
The hype around this project brought Molde better players than should play in norway, everyone was in on the hype.

Ole is by far the biggest ever star in a small country like Norway and this project was MASSIVE.

Both you and me know that everyone would have been more surprised if he DIDNT win the league then if he'd win. Everything fell it to his lap. Molde is also the richest club in Norway.

Norwegians like to hype up that achievement but it really wasnt anything special. Ill say it again, with all the resources and hype around this project, it wasnt that impressive. And that is the truth.

I get you bro, you are norwegian, he is norwegian and he is your biggest idol, but keep to the truth.
I’m sorry but I’m not Scandinavian and he is not even close to my biggest idol. If I have one in football. Not sure about that.
We can talk about projects and money involved but you still need people doing right things to get it all work.

At least they won some trophies apart from Moyes who was sacked in his first year. Ole won git all. Was an also ran in everything.
Yes they won. And still, the fans wanted them out. So as a manager you can’t win becasue you will get criticism one way or other. As you see, it is not Solskjaer that I’m defending. It i actually managers.

He was 17th in the championship with relegation form when he was sacked and they finished the season on 11th place under Russell Slade (currently working as consultant for League 2 club Stevenage). The next season under Slade they finish 8th. Under Ole they would be fighting for promotion in League One. Explain that
So you give a guy not even half year and expect miracles. You need time as a manager. Since Solskjaer got sacked from there I see that they came back to Premier League and won Premier League and Champions League. Right?
Lots of biggest managers have got sacked. Not once but lots of times. Doesn’t really say anything.

Undermine him with Cardiff? The cult of OgS has to be the strangest thing in footballing history. Now he’s not to blame for relegating Cardiff then leading them to mighty 17th in the Championship before getting sacked.
You are aware in what state they were? Of course he is not to blame. It is like blaming Rangnick for not having us in top 3 now.

I’m sorry but I’m not Scandinavian and he is not even close to my biggest idol. If I have one in football. Not sure about that.
We can talk about projects and money involved but you still need people doing right things to get it all work.

Yes they won. And still, the fans wanted them out. So as a manager you can’t win becasue you will get criticism one way or other. As you see, it is not Solskjaer that I’m defending. It i actually managers.

So you give a guy not even half year and expect miracles. You need time as a manager. Since Solskjaer got sacked from there I see that they came back to Premier League and won Premier League and Champions League. Right?
Lots of biggest managers have got sacked. Not once but lots of times. Doesn’t really say anything.
I mean this Slade dude that came after him to become Cardiff manager managed to bring them to 11th place without any preparation taking over after the season started.....

What ? So according to your logic if Ole had not been sacked and given time in Cardiff he would came back to EPL and won the league and UCL with them ?? :lol:

Maybe if you can stop gobbling his ballsack you can see he is just not a good manager at all. He won zilch with Molde on his 2nd stint and his replacement directly won the league on his first season.

I mean this Slade dude that came after him to become Cardiff manager managed to bring them to 11th place without any preparation taking over after the season started.....

What ? So according to your logic if Ole had not been sacked and given time in Cardiff he would came back to EPL and won the league and UCL with them ?? :lol:

Maybe if you can stop gobbling his ballsack you can see he is just not a good manager at all. He won zilch with Molde on his 2nd stint and his replacement directly won the league on his first season.
Keep missunderstanding what I meant.

This is such an dishonest way of discussion. You and me are both from scandinavia and what we know that people outside scandinavia dont know is that when Ole came back to Norway and joined this project, because that what it was, a superhyped, multimillion project with Oles face to it, there'd only be one way this would end, gold to Molde.
The hype around this project brought Molde better players than should play in norway, everyone was in on the hype.

Ole is by far the biggest ever star in a small country like Norway and this project was MASSIVE.

Both you and me know that everyone would have been more surprised if he DIDNT win the league then if he'd win. Everything fell it to his lap. Molde is also the richest club in Norway.

Norwegians like to hype up that achievement but it really wasnt anything special. Ill say it again, with all the resources and hype around this project, it wasnt that impressive. And that is the truth.

I get you bro, you are norwegian, he is norwegian and he is your biggest idol, but keep to the truth.
This explains a lot, and thanks for posting and being honest. Always thought his Molde achievement was nothing special. Cardiff and three wasted years here is what his real level is. Crap.

I am just spitting the facts. Please correct my previous comment if there is anything factually wrong.
You are saying that my logic is that he would won PL or CL if given time with Cardiff. Nowhere did I say that. What I tried to give you hint is that they are still in Championship. So how come nobody made them Premier League team if they were so good they should be playing there?

This explains a lot, and thanks for posting and being honest. Always thought his Molde achievement was nothing special. Cardiff and three wasted years here is what his real level is. Crap.
It is always nothing special when other does. No need to comment more about his Molde time. You can take time and talk to people involved there if you want to know how important he was.

They didn't lose all centerbacks. Williams, Philips and Kabak played. Matip played first half of season when Gomez and VanDijk were injuried. It was few times they put a midfielder back there.
Come off it will you. You just said it yourself, Matip Gomez and VanDijk were injuried for more than half a season. Imagine Ole without Maguire Lindelof Bailly for the same time. Liverpool had 52 points with the same amount of games this time last year, compared to 73 right now. Chelsea had 54, that's how we got second, they both had disastrous seasons.

Last edited:
If we look what he did as interim manager I can’t say that managment did wrong thing to hire him. Were there managers with better CV? Yes. On other hand, just because you got great CV doesn’t mean it will go well. We can just look at managers before Solskjaer. That is why I say that having right manager is more important.

You can try to undermine Solskjaer with Cardiff but we know the facts when he took them and in what state they were. But sure, keep blaming Solskjaer for that.

The wheels were visibly falling off coming up to his full time contract. We lost 0-2 to Cardiff in May 2019. Our final game of the season.

He never should have been hired.

What players was this?
I remember "local businessman" Røkke (one of Norway's richest people) giving a lot of money to the club, sure. Big part of that was the new stadium, £23m or so it cost, opened in 1998, Ole joined in 2011. And yes he also gave around £25m more in cash to the club throughout the years to help make them competitive. But if you look at the transfers in and out the years before/after their first ever league wins, there are no significant big names that went on to have better careers elsewhere in bigger leagues. And the majority of their "big" sales (~£1-3m) were Norwegians. Of course they start in the Norwegian league until their talent outgrows the league.

The Norwegian league has always been a springboard league for foreign players looking to get a foothold in Europe, especially for African players, but this is true for all of the clubs in Norway, not Molde alone.

You are saying that my logic is that he would won PL or CL if given time with Cardiff. Nowhere did I say that. What I tried to give you hint is that they are still in Championship. So how come nobody made them Premier League team if they were so good they should be playing there?
Neil Warnock got them promotion in 2017/18, thus they’ve been promoted since OgS was fired so the club is capable of promotion & staying in the league [they did so for a season]. OgS failed to save them from relegation & had them in 17th for the mighty Neil fecking Warnock to do what he couldn’t a few years later.

Teams over & underachieve all the time, why people excuse OgS for continually underachieving is honestly the thing of a cult. He isn’t that good, Cardiff being a yo-yo team is irrelevant.

Neil Warnock got them promotion in 2017/18, thus they’ve been promoted since OgS was fired so the club is capable of promotion & staying in the league [they did so for a season]. OgS failed to save them from relegation & had them in 17th for the mighty Neil fecking Warnock to do what he couldn’t a few years later.

Teams over & underachieve all the time, why people excuse OgS for continually underachieving is honestly the thing of a cult. He isn’t that good, Cardiff being a yo-yo team is irrelevant.
That is thing. How did he underachive? Lack of trophies are not good. We can agree on that. Now comes the question, did anyone think We were better then Liverpool and Man City when he took over? Even Chelsea? Did you think We could win League instantly? Were We best team in Europe to win there?
So where did We underachive before this season?

Do you think managers are capable of doing equally good jobs in any club, regardless of situation, ambition, expectations?

Do you think Pep would've saved Cardiff from relegation? Or Norwich?

One that’s willing to adapt to new tactics, good team spirit, flexible. It’s vague but still clear
Maybe right. But I think what he is saying is lots of players without commitment. Still a lot of work to be done, and fans should be happy we have Ole, Rangnick and Ten Haag communicating on this.. Some fans really don’t understand the state United are in..

That season Cardiff sold their entire spine of players. They had a newly composed team, and from what Ben Turner later came out with, they had a owner trying to pick the team. Ole didn’t finish 17. He lost two games with that team to teams going into play offs, and one got promoted. And played one draw, after a horrible mistake by Mark Hudson inn the last minutes. They where 17 after7 games. Seven/7 games mate.. I don’t know how people lacking so much fact keep arguing invalid points..

Do you think managers are capable of doing equally good jobs in any club, regardless of situation, ambition, expectations?

I could care less if Pep ‘could’ have done it, it’s another ridiculous subversion from the topic. How about instead of ridiculous whataboutisms we focus on what happened.

Solskjær was the manager when Cardiff were relegated, he was subsequently fired the season after with the club in 17th. Let’s say we forgive the relegation because of ‘situation, ambition, expectations’ how is a relegated side with better resources in comparison to their competition in the Championship being in 17th acceptable? It wasn’t so he was justly fired. So he didn’t fail in the EPL [hmm] then he certainly did a terrible job in the Championship the folllowing year, no? or ‘situation, ambition, expectations’.
That is thing. How did he underachive? Lack of trophies are not good. We can agree on that. Now comes the question, did anyone think We were better then Liverpool and Man City when he took over? Even Chelsea? Did you think We could win League instantly? Were We best team in Europe to win there?
We lost multiple competitions where we were not in direct competition with City, Liverpool or Chelsea though. The squad is a result of some hefty spending he resided over so I would say it is in large part down to him that the squad he left wasn’t closer to those teams than when he took over.

If you want to concede the league during his tenure then fine we then have to judge him on different metrics. We weren’t the best team in Europe but we weren’t competing with the best teams in Europe when he was out coached in successive Europa League Semi’s/Finals & the FA Cup against Leicester last year.

Were Chelsea the best team in Europe last year? OgS finished 2nd last season [I wouldn’t have called us the 2nd best team in the League] but as we did finish 2nd was the start to the season not an ‘underachievement’? The whole ‘not as good on paper as’ argument as an excuse for OgS is tiring, we were generally ok against teams around/above us where he continued to underachieve was against teams/managers he had greater sources than.
That season Cardiff sold their entire spine of players. They had a newly composed team, and from what Ben Turner later came out with, they had a owner trying to pick the team. Ole didn’t finish 17. He lost two games with that team to teams going into play offs, and one got promoted. And played one draw, after a horrible mistake by Mark Hudson inn the last minutes. They where 17 after7 games. Seven/7 games mate.. I don’t know how people lacking so much fact keep arguing invalid points..
No one said they finished 17th, he was sacked in 17th but yes it’s always someone else’s fault. Speaking of invalid points, feel free to address how managers/teams overachieve all the time outperforming perceived resources but OgS needed a kings ransom & an injury crisis to finish 2nd with United then the wheels fell off a while later.

We can all get passionate on forums, the facts are he’s young enough to go on & have a successful managerial career, feel free to come back at me when he’s hired by another of Europes ‘elites’ & does a better job.

Sold their entire spine. . . Cause relegated teams don’t lose their better players only Cardiff, poor OgS.

Your post isn’t addressing the post I made but thanks anyway.

I could care less if Pep ‘could’ have done it, it’s another ridiculous subversion from the topic. How about instead of ridiculous whataboutisms we focus on what happened.

Solskjær was the manager when Cardiff were relegated, he was subsequently fired the season after with the club in 17th. Let’s say we forgive the relegation because of ‘situation, ambition, expectations’ how is a relegated side with better resources in comparison to their competition in the Championship being in 17th acceptable? It wasn’t so he was justly fired. So he didn’t fail in the EPL [hmm] then he certainly did a terrible job in the Championship the folllowing year, no? or ‘situation, ambition, expectations’.

We lost multiple competitions where we were not in direct competition with City, Liverpool or Chelsea though. The squad is a result of some hefty spending he resided over so I would say it is in large part down to him that the squad he left wasn’t closer to those teams than when he took over.

If you want to concede the league during his tenure then fine we then have to judge him on different metrics. We weren’t the best team in Europe but we weren’t competing with the best teams in Europe when he was out coached in successive Europa League Semi’s/Finals & the FA Cup against Leicester last year.

Were Chelsea the best team in Europe last year? OgS finished 2nd last season [I wouldn’t have called us the 2nd best team in the League] but as we did finish 2nd was the start to the season not an ‘underachievement’? The whole ‘not as good on paper as’ argument as an excuse for OgS is tiring, we were generally ok against teams around/above us where he continued to underachieve was against teams/managers he had greater sources than.

No one said they finished 17th, he was sacked in 17th but yes it’s always someone else’s fault. Speaking of invalid points, feel free to address how managers/teams overachieve all the time outperforming perceived resources but OgS needed a kings ransom & an injury crisis to finish 2nd with United then the wheels fell off a while later.

We can all get passionate on forums, the facts are he’s young enough to go on & have a successful managerial career, feel free to come back at me when he’s hired by another of Europes ‘elites’ & does a better job.

Sold their entire spine. . . Cause relegated teams don’t lose their better players only Cardiff, poor OgS.

Ignorance is always someone’s bliss No, not poor. He left because his owner tries to dictate who to play and who to buy. He said NO, and was sacked.. It’s well documented, for anyone trying to bring some valid points into their agenda.Ole did a really good job here, trying to get the club back on track. And we need both Rangnick giving Ten Haag input, and the work to continue. A few online fans unhappy won’t change that fact..

It is always nothing special when other does. No need to comment more about his Molde time. You can take time and talk to people involved there if you want to know how important he was.
Seeing his tenure there he would have them fighting in League One now. You also cant deny the facts that his successor in Cardiff and Molde on his second stint did better than him in any possible metric. Plus Neil Warnock the great got them to PL.

Ignorance is indeed always someone’s bliss.
Just leave em be man. They are too busy gobbling Ole's ballsack to see the facts

Last edited:
Seeing his tenure there he would have them fighting in League One now. You also cant deny the facts that his successor in Cardiff and Molde on his second stint did better than him in any possible metric. Plus Neil Warnock the got them to PL.

Just leave em be man. They are too busy gobbling Ole's ballsack to see the facts

Jesus Christ people need to shut up about his second stint. Molde had NEVER won the league before Ole came in. After he came in the won a fair few trophies and punched above their weight in the EL.

There’s plenty of valid criticism to be made of Ole, but ffs shut up about Molde, he certainly didn’t do poorly with them.

Jesus Christ people need to shut up about his second stint. Molde had NEVER won the league before Ole came in. After he came in the won a fair few trophies and punched above their weight in the EL.

There’s plenty of valid criticism to be made of Ole, but ffs shut up about Molde, he certainly didn’t do poorly with them.
Why ? Did it never happen so we cant talk about it ? The fact is his successor won the league with Molde immediately after he went to United. I know you are Norwegian and of course you naturally will support him, but to think he is a great manager is baffling.

Spot on.

Some mangers doe their due diligence better than other managers and only go for low risk projects.

Dyche, Potter, Bielsa and Ranieri are examples of managers who have done incredible jobs with their PL teams, and all of them had to leave their post because they at some point struggled to keep the fire burning.

Have they lost their managerial skills or did the situation change because something outside the manager’s control?

The manager is off course the person who have to take responsibility for bad results. That’s not necessarily the same as controlling all factors behind bad results.

I have deep respect for managers who go for a real challenge and doesn’t only go for no brainers in order to build up their own reputation.

Ole spent some serious money.
I’d say he’s had more of a detrimental effect on the side than Mourinho, yet is able to disappear into relative obscurity.

Why ? Did it never happen so we cant talk about it ? The fact is his successor won the league with Molde immediately after he went to United. I know you are Norwegian and of course you naturally will support him, but to think he is a great manager is baffling.

So taking over an Ole team and getting them to play football is possible. Maybe we should have got that guy as interim :lol:

He got a lot of backing to change things around? The larger part of the first eleven was his his signings.

Being the first to do something is easier than doing it after it’s been done already.

And feck off in dragging in my nationality, such a cheap thing to do. As is your straw manning me as having said he’s a great manager. All I’m saying is you downplayed stuff in a disingenuous way, and I bet you’ve never sat through a Tippeliga match in your life.

So, by your own logic Ole is far superior manager to Mourinho because once he took over he won several games on the trot?

Being the first to do something is easier than doing it after it’s been done already.

And feck off in dragging in my nationality, such a cheap thing to do. As is your straw manning me as having said he’s a great manager. All I’m saying is you downplayed stuff in a disingenuous way, and I bet you’ve never sat through a Tippeliga match in your life.
By what metric ? Biggest bullshit I have ever read. If it was easy why he won zilch during his 3 years second stint there ? So much for easy right. Why so butthurt then if not because of your nationality ? He's a bad manager end of line. How about his Cardiff stint ? His replacement end up in 11th place and 8th place the next season.

Spot on.

Some mangers doe their due diligence better than other managers and only go for low risk projects.

Dyche, Potter, Bielsa and Ranieri are examples of managers who have done incredible jobs with their PL teams, and all of them had to leave their post because they at some point struggled to keep the fire burning.

Have they lost their managerial skills or did the situation change because something outside the manager’s control?

The manager is off course the person who have to take responsibility for bad results. That’s not necessarily the same as controlling all factors behind bad results.

I have deep respect for managers who go for a real challenge and doesn’t only go for no brainers in order to build up their own reputation.
Definitely, me too. People love to make fun of Allardyce but he loves a scrap and usually does quite well in such jobs. Same with Benitez. Both are true mercenaries and go for the money but if there weren't managers, then what? Nobody will manage Stoke City as I doubt any manager dreams of taking charge of the Britannia Stadium....

Pep may have tremendous results but it's much like when Hakkinen and Coulthard were just trashing F1 when the Silver Arrows were head and shoulders above the competition. It doesn't make Hakkinen a bad driver, just not as impressive as Max Verstappen right now, for example. Or Vettel when he won his first GPs with a far inferior car.

So, by your own logic Ole is far superior manager to Mourinho because once he took over he won several games on the trot?
If that’s what you got from my post your dumber than your posts appear. Absolute cretinous retort. First Pep, now Mourinho, further whataboutisms because you can’t actually justify OgS’s United managerial career on its own merits.

Stick to the topic lad.

If that’s what you got from my post your dumber than your posts appear. Absolute cretinous retort. First Pep, now Mourinho, further whataboutisms because you can’t actually justify OgS’s United managerial career on its own merits.

Stick to the topic lad.
Some people here are just balls deep in the Ole hole you cant talk any sense into them.

All you need to know about his 'legacy' is that he made Maguire captain.

Like his captain, pathetic manager.

Stick to the topic lad.
I am not the one who is comparing different situations, different timelines and what-not. The facts are very clear. Ole is our best manager in terms of league performance since SAF retired.