Smashley Young

A winger who could dribble?

What were you expecting?

He cost as much as Valencia and has a higher wage, so it isn't outrageous to expect a similar contribution, but we got nothing off the sort.

But we knew we overpaid anyway.

Seriously, when he came here did you really expect him to suddenly become an amazing player?

Get fecked with that. He's been shit for England and not much better for United.

He's been decent at United. England have been bad in general. He probably has been one of the worst though. This is the first full match I have seen though.

Yes. We have a bulging trophy cabinet since he arrived.

Bad reasoning. We didn't win too many trophies with Ruud either, but he was world class.

And this for me sums up why football is shit at the moment. cnuts like this are multi-millionaires.

:lol:
Can't disagree here though!

I felt it was somewhat inevitable that he'd become the villain of the piece. Most England fans wanted it that way anyway. He's going to take so much shit next year.

I thought he had a fine first season for us and before this tournament he was one of England's best players. Well done to all those ABUs for crushing his spirit at a time so it could blow up in their faces.

Players that were not shit this tournament for England -

Hart
Terry
Gerrard
Walcott

Everybody else for England were shit IMO.

Players that were not shit this tournament for England -

Hart
Terry
Gerrard
Walcott

Everybody else for England were shit IMO.

Gerrard was pretty shit today and not all that great in the rest of the games either bar his assist for Carroll against Sweden.

But we knew we overpaid anyway.

Seriously, when he came here did you really expect him to suddenly become an amazing player?

I'm not sure what you're saying. You knew he was shit when he was signed, knew we overpaid and knew that he wouldn't be near our best winger. Now you're saying 'mehh, it's okay, he was always shit'..

I didn't expect him to be an amazing player at all, I was against the transfer when it happened. But once he was signed I had hoped that Fergie knew best etc and that he would turn into a good signing.

When Valencia first arrived I was hesitant on how good he would be, so imagined it could be the same with Young. But as it turns out he's just as good as I thought he was, which is a very average Premiership winger, constantly plays it safe and can't beat a man anymore... Hence the criticism.

Seems like I thought he might be okay, now think he's shit so am disappinted. Whereas you always thought he would be shit, so aren't bothered.

Some of you got problems. Spending time lambasting England fans and ABUs only to follow the stream by suddenly changing opinions about Young's performance for United this season. He's been good to very good, I shall remind you Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

Knew he could miss after I saw him shaking nervously during shoot-out, but wasn't worse than average English player at the tournament. He will get his stick, Cole won't obviously, but don't let his penalty interfere with general view of his time so far at the club.

Got to admit that my emotions are getting the better of my reasoning at the moment I have been thinking 'why the feck did SAF pay 17m for that cnut with one year on his contract'.

Played far too deep, probably Hodgson's tactics. He isn't a defensive winger, and he is far better played much higher up. Tactics didn't help him for me.

He was played as defensive winger, when his best position is as an inside forward or arguably off of the striker. He did an okay at his job in this regard.

Apart from that he was rather rubbish. But he wasn't in the right positions.

He was played as defensive winger, when his best position is as an inside forward or arguably off of the striker. He did an okay at his job in this regard.

He is horrific off the striker.

watching today made me realise that he should never see the pitch unless Nani and Valencia are injured, or need resting

Young has been worse than Milner (some achievement) neither should have started after the way they played in the group.

As much as he was beyond awful today and has been appalling throughout the tournament for them, some of the reactions in this thread are incredibly kneejerk. He's still a fairly good player for us and deserves a place in the squad.

Milner was clearly worse.

His famous work-rate wasn't even there.

And Young was bad alright but people are over-reacting here a lot. Walcott for example I thought would do well but apart from a few mins in that match, what did he do?

Nah, he's a winger. He doesn't have an eye for a pass to play behind a striker. He's a generic English winger, he's someone you'd pick in a high school match. His play is basic, get wide, cut in, cut out, swing cross in.

It's funny what he did today, he failed to get wide and get the ball in so his plan b was to just run with the ball into the centre, somehow hoping he'd morph into Messi and just start getting past players. It was odd.

Some of you gimps are so predictable. A bad game/tournament for England and suddenly Young's been no better for United all season. Memories and attention spans of goldfish.

To be fair, he was pretty poor for long spells last season. If anything the Ukraine game was a great microsm of his season. Very good in fits and starts, and popping up with some possibly game changing moments from crosses or shots, but rather anonymous for long periods, and woeful at beating people. He's not a World Class player, in virtually any definition of the word. I'm not upset we have him though. He's useful.

I doubt he'll be made a scapegoat though. The "socks up for the boys" attitude has been pretty good so far, and the days of witchhunts are hopefully long over. But he was generally poor, and missed an important pen. He'll get stick. He's a footballer, this shit happens.

Could have sworn I'd posted about how shit Young was. Maybe there has been a RAWK style removal!? anyway, the reason Young was shit is because he is not international class. He looks good for us because he's got the players around him to give him the space to perform. Any pressure and he doesn't know what to do.

Nah, he's a winger. He doesn't have an eye for a pass to play behind a striker. He's a generic English winger, he's someone you'd pick in a high school match. His play is basic, get wide, cut in, cut out, swing cross in.

It's funny what he did today, he failed to get wide and get the ball in so his plan b was to just run with the ball into the centre, somehow hoping he'd morph into Messi and just start getting past players. It was odd.

Spot on, that's exactly the way I see it. It was the same at Villa when they played him centrally for most of his last season, it was bizzare because he just isn't suited to playing there.

He was poor offensively today, while being good defensively. Milner did neither. I was amazed by that. Usually you at least see Milner trying or whatever, today he wasn't poor. he just wasn't at all, I couldn't even give him any rate for that performance.

To be fair, he was pretty poor for long spells last season. If anything the Ukraine game was a great microsm of his season. Very good in fits and starts, and popping up with some possibly game changing moments from crosses or shots, but rather anonymous for periods, and woeful at beating people.

He had a mixed season but when he was good he was very good. Definitely proved himself a useful player over the course of the season. Reading the frantic scape-goating in this thread you'd think he was never better than useless.