Sergej Milinkovic Savic

Mani

I like it and no doubt it would be a good footballing side, but my concern is the lack of goals. Ozil isn't a big goalscorer and does best with options ahead of him. A 2 man strike force with no wingers just lacks potency, especially when they both still have question marks over their consistency in scoring throughout the season (Lukaku scores good numbers but in a smaller amount of matches than required to win the league).
With this set up we can bring in best out of everyone Ozil needn’t worry about the work rate men behind can do all those.
Martial is not shun out wide as he gets in more central and more opportunities to score.
Lukaku will get those supplies from wing backs or Pogba or any of those central players.But getting this two alone will never end our issues we still need proper widemen from right who can stretch the play.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I think Ozil and Savic can be played in different area of the pitch,how about Ozil at RW or tip of the Diamond,

Martial---Lukaku----Ozil
Pogba-------------Savic
--------Matic---------

Or

Martial----------Lakaku
--------Ozil-----------
Pogba----------Savic
--------Matic---------
Or a 4-1-2-2-1 type formation, where both pick up positions more centrally in the half spaces from the very start, without the need to start wide and cut in. If United had marauding FB's who were able to overlap and be a threat in the wide areas with their crossing, this could work well. Both Pogba and Savic are players who like to drift wide anyway and link up with attacking FB's, so this suits both of them too.

Mani

I could see that top formation being used as a regular thing if we did sign both. I do think Ozil has the skill and guile to play that RW role as an inside type of player. Granted he won’t provide width, that’s have to come from Tony V.
Ozil is more an make shift at RW in case we sign him but that alone wouldn’t solve our wing problems we still need to find the proper RW.

ovoxo

Ozil is more an make shift at RW in case we sign him but that alone wouldn’t solve our wing problems we still need to find the proper RW.
Other than Mahrez, there’s not a great deal of ready made wingers. There’s young prospects which we could sign along with Ozil.

For example, we could end up with Ozil, Malcom, SMS and a young LB if Mourinho really does trust Shaw.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
His inconsistent first touch drives me mad though. I’m not sure I would want another player like that in the middle of the pitch.

Crashoutcassius

He's a bit like fellaini when fellaini is on absolute top form. Bringing balls down, linking up, covering lots of ground.

Personally I'm not convinced of Matic as a playmaker but Pogba Matic Savic midfield does sound like a Mourinho classic. Pogba Felli Matic were pretty effective at start of year and this seems like a decent step up

Hammondo

I'm not head over heels for SMS too, but the problem with signing a deep-lying playmaker is due to Pogba.
Even if the idea is to keep him in an advanced position, he won't be comfortable there. Like I said before, he's not the best in tight spaces and he lacks the nimbleness and mentality to stay on the peripheral for a long time - which is what you'd expect in a advanced role, even with a DLP bringing the ball forward from behind.
The result would be him constantly dropping deep to find space and get a better view of the pitch, thereby creating a very narrow and pseudo-defensive midfield and worse, a static defensive one.
It's obvious we need a playmaker, but I think he should be an advanced playmaker over a deep one, with Pogba doing the defence-attack link thingy and driving forward to join the attack when space opens up.
Pogba is such a liability in that role. Defensively lazy, and he just goes missing when playing that role.

Hammondo

Yes, in a double pivot. I was talking about a midfield three.
He does the same in a midfield 3. When we have had mata, Mkhitaryan, or linguard in front of him hes still a massive liability and goes missing.

Andersons Dietician

I posted an article from David Amoyal who works for Di Marzio and is a avid follower of Serie A, and according to him SMS would best be utilised in a deeper role to where he's playing now.
Isn’t he effectivly playing as a forward of 10 at the moment so deeper role in to midfield would be about right. Really don’t think he has a B2B mentality or the in game ability to play as a DM. Just doesn’t seem to have that controlling mentality.

Devil may care

He does the same in a midfield 3. When we have had mata, Mkhitaryan, or linguard in front of him hes still a massive liability and goes missing.
I agree, we need a controller to play between him and Matic, not ahead of him, he had no problem with this at Juve, the problem at United is we have Herrera or Fellaini in that other #8 role and Matic deep, none of them are providing the constant flow of passes to Pogba so that he stays higher and doesn't need to drop in to get a touch.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He looks like the perfect Mourinho midfielder.

Is that Jordan Lukaku I spotted there also? I'm sure he wouldn't mind putting in a good word from his brother ;)

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
He's probably the player I want most of all. I think the comparisons to Pogba are a little off - He's technically brilliant but not quite as extravagant or ambitious with his play. Also not quite the same freak athlete Pogba is. I'd say he's also more defensively aware.

I'm convinced the plan this season was to be a 4-3-3 side - It's how we lined up in the first game of the campaign vs Madrid. The injury to Fellaini and Herrera falling off a cliff has really hurt that idea.

The idea of Pogba-Matic-Savic is pretty intense - Can play great football and physically dominate. Could also make up for Lukaku not quite being as good for a diagonal outlet if one can push forward.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
My preference are as follows:

Kovacic
SMS
Jorginho

If we somehow could get Kovacic from RM we will have played a blinder.
Every one prefers Kovavcic but Real 'aint stoopid' under Zizou. He wont leave. Besides Savic is a better passer than he is given crefit for. He only looks less if it at Lazio because they play high risk, direct football.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
besides, I feel we are overrating the need for a playmaker. I dont believe Mourinho's Porto side, his first Chelsea side, nor his treble winning Inter had one. What they had was one AM who was the assist and difference maker. Namely Deco, Lampard and Sneijder. In that mould Pogba can be our Lampard with Matic our Makelele/Costinha/Cambiasso. So what we lack is an Essien/Stankovic/Maniche type. and competition for Matic. That is where signing like Savic and Jorginho would do nicely.

I feel a playmaker is needed more for the 4-2-3-1

ovoxo

I’m starting to think he could be our big money signing in the summer. Not a player like Dybala, especially if we get Ozil on free.

ovoxo

By big money, you mean which range?
Around the £70m range. Dybala would be around £150m, but if we sign Ozil, I don’t see dybala happening. He’s somewhat a dream signing. So, I think SMS could be our big money signing.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I’m starting to think he could be our big money signing in the summer. Not a player like Dybala, especially if we get Ozil on free.
How about both? Ozil #10/RW, Dybala RW/SS, and SMS as CM.

—————Lukaku
Martial—-—Ozil—-—Dybala
———-Pogba
———————Matic
New LB—Bailly—CB—Valencia

Martial——Lukaku——Dybala
———Pogba——SMS
———-——Matic

...Ozil/Dybala could be interchangeable at RW or #10/SS, so can SMS/Ozil when either plays CM or #10 whenever need be.

ovoxo

—————Lukaku
Martial—-—Ozil—-—Dybala
———-Pogba
———————Matic

Martial——Lukaku——Dybala
———Pogba——SMS
———-——Matic

...Ozil/Dybala could be interchangeable at RW or #10/SS, so can SMS/Ozil when either plays CM or #10.
You’re making my inner muppet drool:drool:

But SMS surely wouldn’t arrive to sit on the bench? He’s got the alleged potential to be a top midfielder, so he’ll want to start most games. Therefore, if we got SMS, it’d surely signal intend to move to a 4-3-3? Then Ozil as a RW. We could sign a young prospect RW alongside Ozil though.

Mcking

—————Lukaku
Martial—-—Ozil—-—Dybala
———-Pogba
———————Matic

Martial——Lukaku——Dybala
———Pogba——SMS
———-——Matic

...Ozil/Dybala could be interchangeable at RW or #10/SS, so can SMS/Ozil when either plays CM or #10 whenever need be.
That will take over 150-200m+the FB. I doubt we'd even be signing another player if we sign Dybala. I also shrink at the thought of playing Dybala wide; as a wide forward in a 433? Sure, but in a 4231? No way.

Mcking

Around the £70m range. Dybala would be around £150m, but if we sign Ozil, I don’t see dybala happening. He’s somewhat a dream signing. So, I think SMS could be our big money signing.
Sure, that is the average price for our big-money signings. I doubt we'd be going for Dybala.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
You’re making my inner muppet drool:drool:

But SMS surely wouldn’t arrive to sit on the bench? He’s got the alleged potential to be a top midfielder, so he’ll want to start most games. Therefore, if we got SMS, it’d surely signal intend to move to a 4-3-3? Then Ozil as a RW. We could sign a young prospect RW alongside Ozil though.
Ozil wouldn’t be an everyday starter for us imho. Unless José somehow taps into Ozil’s RM form, he’s at a point in his career where he doesn’t show up consistently enough and age is starting to become a factor. However, he’s still a lot better than what we currently have when he’s on his game and that alone is worth adding him and much improving out options and depth.

Mourinho will switch between 4231 and 433 often next season me thinks especially since he’s finally taken the hint Pogba is best suited in 433. If that’s the case which I’m hoping for, then SMS and Ozil can start essentially equally when it’s all said and done and when one’s not, he will be first sub option more likely than not so not like they’ll be missing out on a lot of game time.

Mcking

Ozil wouldn’t be an everyday starter for us imho. Unless José somehow taps into Ozil’s RM form, he’s at a point in his career where he doesn’t show up consistently enough and age is starting to become a factor. However, he’s still a lot better than what we currently have when he’s on his game and that alone is worth adding him and much improving out options and depth.

Mourinho will switch between 4231 and 433 often next season me thinks especially since he’s finally taken the hint Pogba is best suited in 433. If that’s the case which I’m hoping for, then SMS and Ozil can start essentially equally when it’s all said and done and when one’s not, he will be first sub option more likely than not so not like they’ll be missing out on a lot of game time.
I brought up this idea the other time and got swiftly shut down.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
That will take over 150-200m+the FB. I doubt we'd even be signing another player if we sign Dybala. I also shrink at the thought of playing Dybala wide; as a wide forward in a 433? Sure, but in a 4231? No way.
Like I said, interchangeable and by no means set in stone just an idea/thought.

I see United spending no more than £250M from now till the start of next season.

Dybala/Griezmann ~£125M
SMS ~$60M
Ozil ~£25M or free
Tierney ~£25M

...that’s ~£235M assuming we pay for Ozil now and get Dybala whereas if we got AG he’d come cheaper. Doable especially with how much José has voiced his opinion publicly about spending and with our rivals all spending quite a bit recently.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Signing Ozil as a part time starter.:lol:
Yea, just as we did with Mata and Mikhi.

It’s all about improving quality and Ozil is better than both those without doubt so don’t see what’s so funny or how this would be far fetched but you do you.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Yea, just as we did with Mata and Mikhi.

It’s all about improving quality and Ozil is better than both those without doubt so don’t see what’s so funny or how this would be far fetched but you do you.
Those players were not signed for those roles at all. They’re also not as good as Ozil as you said and don’t demand the £200,000+ per week Ozil will. When has Mourinho ever signed a top player on that sort of wage with the intention of playing him every so often? If anything Mourinho overplays his top players.

Ozil would be by far and away our best attacking player. He would walk into this team - He has less consistency issues than every player you named. Including the pipe dream that is Dybala.

If he is signed it’s because he’s going to play every week. Zero chance of anything else.

Mick1

Those players were not signed for those roles at all. They’re also not as good as Ozil as you said and don’t demand the £200,000+ per week Ozil will. When has Mourinho ever signed a top player on that sort of wage with the intention of playing him every so often? If anything Mourinho overplays his top players.

Ozil would be by far and away our best attacking player. He would walk into this team - He has less consistency issues than every player you named. Including the pipe dream that is Dybala.

If he is signed it’s because he’s going to play every week. Zero chance of anything else.
Exactly. Ozil, when feeling up for it, is the best number 10 in the world. Really feels like Arsenal and Ozil were a bad combination. It always seemed like he could not be less interested, like Di Maria here. If Mourinho knows how to get the best out of him, I m all for it.
Hopefully though the primary formation will be the 4-4-2 diamond, with Pogba and SMS being allowed to join the attacks and pose a big physical presence in the middle whilst defending, and drift out to the wings when attacking, allowing the full backs to overlap. That would however put us in need of 2 full back, and attacking minded ones at that. Antonio can still do the job for a season, but a replacement and cover for next season need to bw identified, i cannot for the life of me think of anyone at this moment, City bought them all.
As for the left, if Shaw does not have Mourinho s trust, then maybe Sandro, or someone younger in case Shaw stays consistent till the end of the season.

This would really put us in a good position for the title next season, get the best out of Pogba, Ozil and more importantly Martial and Lukaku, whose interplay would do us wonders, have Rashford play up front for competition or to rest the starters, and then a young talented right winger can be bought for formation changes/ eye for the future.
All in all this would cost us anywhere between 130-180 mils, in accordance with our recent transfer outlay, and have funds saved up for when a WC player is on the market and can t be missed out on.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

I think you’re overrating him tbh. Yes I know his quality and am sure everyone does but that doesn’t mean his consistency issues will magically be solved because as it stands it’s similar to what Mata/Mikhi has trouble with except Ozil is of higher quality than them.

And due to that, Ozil isn’t immune to starting on the bench every now and then if his form’s off just as Mata/Mikhi aren’t. Especially with a manager like José, he’ll do whatever he feels is best and pick players he feels are doing the best which isn’t a bad thing having options

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I can see this one being done for about £70 million in the summer. He looks a proper Mourinho midfielder.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
I think you’re overrating him tbh. Yes I know his quality and am sure everyone does but that doesn’t mean his consistency issues will magically be solved because as it stands it’s similar to what Mata/Mikhi has trouble with except Ozil is of higher quality than them.

And due to that, Ozil isn’t immune to starting on the bench every now and then if his form’s off just as Mata/Mikhi aren’t. Especially with a manager like José, he’ll do whatever he feels is best and pick players he feels are doing the best which isn’t a bad thing having options
What consistency issues though?!?!?

Probably only David Silva matches him for consistency with his touch/passing in the league. He consistently creates more chances than anyone in the league. He's never once in his career looked like he's forgotten how to play football ala Mkhi in recent weeks and is far more incisive with his play than Mata. No player player is great all the time. Not Dybala, not Ronaldo, not even Messi. Ozil is actually a lot better than most in terms of consistency - Certainly better than Martial or Rashford.

The media gave him a hard time for a lot of Arsenal's struggles because of his languid style. Meanwhile Ramsey going from CM to CF in every attack and leaving the team exposed time and again. They've reinforced with an extra CB or CM depending on the formation and suddenly he's back to his best. There's definitely things he needs in place to thrive but that shouldn't be mistaken for inconsistency. His quality is incredible and in terms of pure skill he's league's ahead of anything in our team.

He's simply not to come here to play a squad role or accept any money that would be indicative of that. He will demand and get a huge contract and a starring role somewhere else if he can't get it here. Mourinho isn't actually always like that - He's stubbornly stuck with Lukaku when his confidence was shot for example and has played favourites in the past with the likes of Ivanovic.