Semi-finals | Spain vs France | Netherlands vs England

Absolutely loving watching Mainoo and Foden linking up. (Stockport lads). But I’ve been fixated on Mainoo, just watch his positional awareness and movement. His passing is hard, low, controlled to feet, my god we have a superstar on our hands. He’s so enjoyable to watch.
If we can get Palmer on as well it’ll be popping around between them.

I'd argue this is actually the worst opponent of the ones they have faced because they don't play as compact as they should be given their relative lack of world beaters. No wonder LvG had almost the same team close up a lot more during the WC than Koeman does. He acts like he still has a Dutch team with half of them being WC.
Yeah that's probably true. They also clearly lack a focal point up front. They still have worked a few openings and looked dangerous on their one set piece but things will have to change for the second half.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but it looks like Bellingham never wants to pass to Foden / Saka / Mainoo. It almost seems like he is loath to have another young player outshine him.

Whereas Mainoo, Foden and Saka working it down the right have been really good and all the threat is coming from the movement and understanding they have developed between them.

Found that to be extremely dull and inert despite the chances and the penalty drama.
  • Play a never-press, massive gaps between defence and midfield system?
  • Completely ignore the opposition wing backs and leave them in acres non stop?
  • Hope desperately to hit on the counter while having almost no pace in the entire team?

-Koeman

England not great either, for all the praise. Netherlands have been hideously bad yet they're only level with a penalty non-penalty.
Good post. The Dutch have been shocking to the point where I have no idea what they’re even trying to do.

Hard to tell if that early Dutch goal and reprieve gave our lads a kick up the arse to actually want the ball and move, like a now or never wake up call. If we play to our ability Mainoo and Foden should scoring or at least pinning them back for others to score.

This is the most over reactionary place in history, for the last couple of games it was Foden, now Bellingham and Kane. They've been fine ffs... can't win every game 4or 5-0. Foden and Mainoo have been excellent, Saka good and Belligham and Kane alright. Not everything is a 1/10 or a 10/10. Tactically England have been very good. Missing a left footed left wingback (Shaw would be nice). Unlucky not to have at least a 2-1 lead.
Yep. I think Foden has been underwhelming but he hasn't stank the place out in this tournament. Tonight he's been fantastic.
Kane has done really well outside the box but ideally we need him inside more. And Bellingham has been fine too.
There's no in-between here. You're either rated as shit or really amazing.

• Play a never-press, massive gaps between defence and midfield system?
  • Completely ignore the opposition wing backs and leave them in acres non stop?
  • Hope desperately to hit on the counter while having almost no pace in the entire team?

-Koeman

England not great either, for all the praise. Netherlands have been hideously bad yet they're only level with a penalty non-penalty.

Dude, he has injuries, you can't expect a Dutch manager to play a non brain dead set up if he has to deal with injuries.

That was never a penalty. England dominating though. Did the players stop listening to Southgate or has he suddenly seen the light?

He’s got a point in that it’d be given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch.
But you don’t get a 75% chance for a goal anywhere else on the pitch, do you.

pathetic decision, but to be expected from Zwayer.

Don't like seeing Shaw on the grass right now. Leave him alone!

Foden and Mainoo have been top drawer. Bellingham a let down so far and just tries to hang on to the ball too long.

The plan was Frenkie, Koopmeiners and Schouten/Tijani :(

Shouldn't that be where managers earn their pay then?

Maybe go a 3-4-3 of some sort, they have the defenders to play it. They could even play a combination of Frimping/Simon/Gakpo upfront. So weird persisting with 3 players who are not quite at the required level in midfield.

Kane has been so bad, his positioning at this tournament has been odd.

Why is he finding himself outside of the box on crosses, or playing on the wing?

Penalty was extremely harsh and dubious but the scoreline flatters the Dutch at the same time.

This is the most over reactionary place in history, for the last couple of games it was Foden, now Bellingham and Kane. They've been fine ffs... can't win every game 4or 5-0. Foden and Mainoo have been excellent, Saka good and Belligham and Kane alright. Not everything is a 1/10 or a 10/10. Tactically England have been very good. Missing a left footed left wingback (Shaw would be nice). Unlucky not to have at least a 2-1 lead.
They don’t win any game 4 or 5-0.

We haven't been Spain but England have been much better than in recent games. Crazy to think just a few games ago Southgate was babbling about having not been able to replace Kalvin Philips...

It’s really really weird how referees do that rather than being consistently objective.

Has to be an unconscious reaction, makes you wonder how many other decisions are down to some other subconscious influence or bias.

I'd give that whole England performance a 7/10.
Minor gripes being Kane coming back to deep and Trippiers lack of a left foot.

This has been our level all tournament in all honesty. You're just the first side that actually tries and has quality.