Sander Berge | Signs for Fulham

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better fit for their midfield than McTom and not good enough for us. Makes sense as a budget Palhinha replacement I suppose.

I didn't want to lose McTominay as a plan B/C option off the bench, just to replace him in the squad with Sander Berge.

I'd rather we kept McTominay if that was the move we were making.

I would however have Berge over Rabiot. So hopefully we don't resort to Rabiot now too.

Were all in on Ugarte for CDM and looking for a CM to ease the pressure on Mainoo to play every game. We don't have a great bargaining position with PSG at this point, so we'll do well to get him under 45m plus 5.

I'd go for Ugarte and an experienced midfielder who was available for cheap or a free agent like Pjanic or Verrati.

Not quite.

Although I dont fully trust Jackson, article says we dont need the cash from outgoings. But we will still need to sell atleast one midfielder from a squad space perspective, and McTominay needs to be sold, because Casemiro/Eriksen dont have any takers.

Now that Fulham have agreed a price. Hijack him and sell them Mctominay like we did to West Ham for Wan bissaka.

Thank feck for that. Although shambolic if neither of Berge and Ugarte happen and McTominay ends up staying again.

'United sources confirmed Sander Berge was never a target for them and any links were just media speculation'

Gentle reminder that Berge was in the Burnley midfield that outplayed United at Old Trafford last season on their way to stealing a draw. Club does not define player and he is deffo good enough to play for Manchester United. Not sure why the opinion is so entrenched that he isn't good enough. We have one of the worst midfields in the league. Just about any midfielder half decent at passing and keeping the ball would get in.
I didn't really get the vehement response to the Berge links either but I guess it's possible both things can be true at once. In theory, Berge could come in and become our 2nd best midfielder after Mainoo for those deeper positions but he doesn't exactly move the needle for a team with big ambitions either.

The hope will be that we sign Ugarte and he can. Berge is probably a better technical player but Ugarte's tenacious nature likely makes him a better fit for what Ten Hag is attempting to do with this midfield. I'd have liked to see us bring in a good technical player alongside Ugarte in midfield but I don't think we're going to get it.

Although I dont fully trust Jackson, article says we dont need the cash from outgoings. But we will still need to sell atleast one midfielder from a squad space perspective, and McTominay needs to be sold, because Casemiro/Eriksen dont have any takers.
Story today that Ajax are looking at Eriksen, would certainly make sense for them and for him.

Ah balls. Not so much that we have missed out on Berge himself but more that one of options to get cash for McTominay is gone. Think if we wanted Berge badly enough he would be here already somehow so there must be some positive feeling about Ugarte. And hopefully more than the deadline day scenario mentioned earlier.

Also Burnley can get stuffed if they wanted more from us than Fulham are paying.

Eriksen has a taker

Gentle reminder that Berge was in the Burnley midfield that outplayed United at Old Trafford last season on their way to stealing a draw. Club does not define player and he is deffo good enough to play for Manchester United. Not sure why the opinion is so entrenched that he isn't good enough. We have one of the worst midfields in the league. Just about any midfielder half decent at passing and keeping the ball would get in.
Berge is average at the very, very best. Like everyone would be in the camp that he's a "good signing for Fulham".

Our midfield is not where it needs to be, but how is the solution signing another bang average player, or as you put it, signing any player half decent at passing and keeping the ball. That will solve nothing and give us another player with zero resale value to have to move on in another season.

Don't get this perspective whatsoever to be honest. It's like, do you think if City don't manage to sign a replacement for Alvarez they'll just say "feck it" and go sign Chris Wood?

If we signed every player that played in a midfield that outplayed us last season we'd be signing... *Checks maths*... Roughly 50 midfielders.

He must be wounded. Thought he was joining us but instead joined Fulham.

How can you outplay a team and also steal a result?

But was Berge in the behind closed doors friendly Burnley won and initiated a mini meltdown last season ?

I’d rather keep than McT than swap him for Berge. Go get Ugarte now.

You mean the game where we had to play Casemiro and Maguire at centre half?

Berge was also on the pitch when we beat Burnley at Turf Moor.

You’re telling us to not judge him cause of the team he is playing yet you seem to be judging him on the one performance he had at Old Trafford, against a midfield you deem to be one of the worst midfields in the league. AND you also say anyone half decent at passing would get in means that’s not a really a benchmark we should be aspiring to is it? We should be aiming to sign better quality players. Quality over quantity. The amount of people still suggesting that a player who has basically played for a championship level team is the answer to our #6 issues is still baffling!

So what kept us from being relegated last season? Our brilliant attack led by Rashford? Our 5 injured center backs? Luke Shaw?

Berge to Fulham means we can't 'bluff' PSG that we have an alternative to Ugarte and we also lose the one PL team interested in McT. Today's a bad day for negotiations... hope for better news tomorrow.

Berge to Fulham means we can't 'bluff' PSG that we have an alternative to Ugarte and we also lose the one PL team interested in McT. Today's a bad day for negotiations... hope for better news tomorrow.

Well one piece of good news is we definitely won't be buying Sandy Burg.

I think you’re forgetting the fact that PSG want to get rid of him desperately. A deal will be done for €50m this week.

Not too bothered by this news but if not shifting McTominay causes us to not buy another midfielder, I think it will really feck our season up.

By signing a player we didn’t want? Not sure I’m following
+1

If anything, they have made fools of themselves for signing a player much worse than McT, from a relegated team for almost as much as they could have gotten McT for. feck Fulham, I hope they join Burnley by the end of the season

Status
Not open for further replies.