Sancho or Messi? Who would you try to sign?

Sancho is a more optimal fit, would likely come here, more realistic and wouldn't destroy our wage structure.

You would have to change the entire complexion of the team to fit in the current version of Messi.

Agree, pointless
So some light hearted debate is pointless on an evening where people are at each other’s throats.

Bet you are a hoot in real life.
I dont think is even funny to be honest. The level of cringe delusion is disturbing. Looks like "Martial or Messi?" I could be wrong but i believe that thread existed.
What is cringey or delusional? Nobody is claiming it’s an actual choice however Messi is potentially up for grabs and
although it’s purely hypothetical I’m genuinely intrigued to see peoples views on what they’d prefer and why.

If you don’t wish to contribute rather than hating on those who are happy having a light hearted discussion I suggest a long walk. I’ll put you down as a Messi vote.

Why is everyone obsessed with age?

Wow, Messi is 33, Ronaldo is 35, Lewandowski is 31...

Do you want to start winning things because If we had Messi in our team we would be.

I rate Sancho heavily but he will never ever be at the standard Messi is even If Messi is 33. Messi in our team would frighten teams so much in England they wouldn't attack us for half the season. We would put fear into teams before they came out of the tunnel

Out of the two - you'd be mad not to take Messi.

He's comfortably the second best player of all time.. so it would be nice to say that we've both had the GOAT and the second best player of all time in our shirt.

I would honestly rather get Zaha than Messi.

For crying out loud, he is 33. He could be done within a year and would cost 50 million per year.

He's comfortably the second best player of all time.. so it would be nice to say that we've both had the GOAT and the second best player of all time in our shirt.

I do not recall Maradona or Pele playing for United.

Sancho means excitement and development... Messi is watching football God slowly fading.

Way to start a war with Messi fans down here.

Messi. Assuming that he will give us three good years for 150m. In that time, Sancho would cost us a bit more though he would have 100m+ resale value.

However, Messi is Messi. In 2 years he would still be better than Sancho in 2 years.

leomessi-manchesterunited.jpeg

Messi. Lifes too short to be sensible.
Exactly. If you have the chance to sign the best player to have played the game (though not necessary the greatest), you just take it and screw the consequences. He actually would improve our team more than Sancho right now, and would increase our commercial income. In 3 years, we can still sign some player with world class potential.

Sancho is one of many, a top player that comes every year or so. Messi is a player who comes once in a lifetime.

Sancho, he could do a job for us for more than s decade. Messi is still fantastic but he'd cost a fortune and how much football has he still got in him? Teams planning on long term success don't spend £100m+ on 33 year old players unless they're in a one horse race like serie A.

Sancho for me. Feels weird saying it, but the age and the wages messi would demand would hinder our ability to strengthen elsewhere.

:lol: he's not even the best player of his generation.

Tell me what this guy had won without a tip top Barcelona FC holding his hand?

Sancho is the future, Messi is the past. If we sign Messi we'll have another Sanchez in our hands.

I would reasonably say Sancho, since he is younger and whole career is in front of him, but... Messi, if there is the slightest of chances it would be unreal.

What a choice. Sancho would be a great signing but so would Messi. The only question re messi is what effect would he have on players? Are they man enough to not just get starstruck? Would Messi want to teach these lads or would he want them to set him up all the time. Would he get a free role with no defensive responsibilities? Of course if you have the money, you would try to sign both on the off chance you sign one.

How is this even a debate?

Messi is on the wind down. He maybe had two seasons left in the Spanish league and is totally unproven in the PL.

Yeah he'd be a showpiece but in empty stadiums etc... 3 years ago maybe.

Now a absolutely not unless he comes on a free for reasonable wages which isn't going to happen.

Messi is definitely the best footballer I've ever seen and it would be incredible to see someone of his ability light up Old Trafford.

But he is Barcelona's and would never truly be ours.

Sancho is young, skillful and could possibly spend his best years here making himself an iconic Manchester United player. To me, despite believing Messi is incomparable to anyone I've seen, that and stories like Greenwoods are much more exciting as a United supporter. The idea of Rashford, Martial, Sancho and Greenwood all fulfilling their potential with us, is what I'd personally love to see.

Sancho, but Messi on a free I wouldn't mind as long as his wages are sensible, or Adidas somehow helps out a little since it'll be their marketing departments dream.

Messi is the best player ever and still easily the best in the world.

But Sancho. We're half a billion in debt. Spending a few hundred million on someone well into his 30s simply isn't an option. It's about long term planning and sustainable squad building.

The point is that the squad is so weak that we do indeed need both. That would widen our options in , obviously players available but also the way we play. A blend of youth and experience is always a good one. I'm not sure Messi's wage demands would wreck out set-up: he knows he is coming to an end and is sensible enough to know his days as a club's top-earner are coming to an end. I would still take ronaldo ahead of him but if Messi is truly available, I think he would give the club and those around him as big a boost as Zlatan did

Messi is the best player ever and still easily the best in the world.

But Sancho. We're half a billion in debt. Spending a few hundred million on someone well into his 30s simply isn't an option. It's about long term planning and sustainable squad building.
not always... think of the experience Messi bring, think of the effect he'd have on those around him (like Zlatan did).. and if it's all about money: think of the shirt sales

It would mean benching Bruno or moving him to the #8 position alongsi.... oh what am I talking about, it's not happening guys.. not in a million years!