Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

Still got my Giggs,Scholes and Beckam ones. Also a Beckham England one.
Spent all day in Bristol looking for that Scholes one. The Beckham England one will get worn these next 1-2 games.

To think that was a solid 23 years ago now -- as I reminisce about it again it still feels like yesterday. Time really does fly.

Will our no. 2 be fired? I loved Ruud as a player, and there is so much nostalgia in this thread. I truly hope he has a positive impact here
It's been reported that Van der Gaag and McCarthy are both leaving, with Hake replacing the former and Van Nistelrooij the latter.

I’d say that would be Berba.
Berba’s first touch was way better, but I ‚d tak RVN over Berba every day.

He doesn’t consider it a backward step. He didn’t feel that he was ready in his 1 stint as a manager at PSV.
I moved from Procurement Director to KAM position in a much bigger company don’t regret it.

I was reffering to him accepting a „lesser” job with United rather than opting for a managerial position.
...at Burnley, for example. He might enjoy being in the shadows at United over being in the spotlight at Burnley. Plus he probably feels like he still has lots to learn and might be interested in seeing Ten Hag at work.

No matter what happens he’ll always be Utd superstar. Genuine legend.

One of my favourite ever players, United or otherwise.

I hope to hear the Ruud Ruud Ruud Ruud chant ringing out at OT on the first day of the season.

Has he joined? Or was the Unired connection leaked by PSV to get other clubs to pay up?

If Ruud can improve the finishing of Zirkzee we could end up with a special player in our team.

What a sexy man, and I’m absolutely straight
Sexual orientation is a spectrum and there are not that many people on the poles of the spectrum. Based on your comment you certainly aren't. But you are right. He is sexy. Not Berbatov-sexy, but still. And I'm also kind of straight.

both Hojlund and Zirkzee should both benefit from this.

As much as it would be great if he could, I'm not sure how much Ruud would benefit either, given that the Ruud the coach can't impart his own skills of 20 years ago into other players, any more than McCarthy could last year, or the likes of Henry could when he was an assistant at Belgium. Ultimately, these players have to develop based on their own hard work in training.

Can not wait to see Ruud on the touchline at OT next season. 2 new additions to the coaching staff can only be a positive. Bring us entertaining football. Proper style of play.

Fantastic, welcome back Ruud!

I guess this is a good time for my best RVN related story. I was inspired to buy the same type of boots as this legend and my proudest football moment was being called his name the only time I've ever scored five goals in a 11 a-side match! :p

As much as it would be great if he could, I'm not sure how much Ruud would benefit either, given that the Ruud the coach can't impart his own skills of 20 years ago into other players, any more than McCarthy could last year, or the likes of Henry could when he was an assistant at Belgium. Ultimately, these players have to develop based on their own hard work in training.
Ruud was exceptional at anticipating where the ball would come. His movements in the penalty box. I am sure he could pass on a few tips to the forwards. The young forwards including Wheatley could not wish for a better teacher.

A good excuse to post these again. Welcome back home, Ruud!

Last edited:
Ruud was exceptional at anticipating where the ball would come. His movements in the penalty box. I am sure he could pass on a few tips to the forwards. The young forwards including Wheatley could not wish for a better teacher.

Can you coach that type of skill? Looking back on the great strikers, Law, Greaves, Lineker, Ole et al, it all seemed instinctual.

One of my favourite ever players, United or otherwise.

I hope to hear the Ruud Ruud Ruud Ruud chant ringing out at OT on the first day of the season.

Never thought I’d hear his chant again!