Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

Imagine being a young academy striker and having Ruud congratulate you after the game for your individual contribution. Must be surreal for him.

Glad he’s back. Hopefully he’ll be working with all the forwards, not just the strikers, so that he can encourage our wider players to get their head up and look for the pass as much as they do the shot.

Second most exciting signing of the window, after Yoro :)

They brought him in to connect more with the players I think, a lot of the first team are still very young. Van der Gaag was probably too much Ten Hag and too much distant towards the players, McClaren is too old to really connect with them. Van Nistelrooy brings a whole new approach and connection with the boys. Xavi Simons also said he really appreciated that at PSV with Van Nistelrooy.

GTKf0_GWYAAagFa

Last edited:
Sky reporting that Ruud has been running intense attacking drills with a focus on repetitive patterns.

Let's hope it all works out!

Sky reporting that Ruud has been running intense attacking drills with a focus on repetitive patterns.

Let's hope it all works out!

It's funny how everyone gets to know what we are training, preparing; other than our players on ground!

It’s good to learn that training sessions actually involve training now. Watching us play the last two seasons, it was always reasonable to ask WTF goes on in training sessions at Carrington.

It’s good to learn that training sessions actually involve training now. Watching us play the last two seasons, it was always reasonable to ask WTF goes on in training sessions at Carrington.
I think ten Hag himself said that around December through to March there were so many matches and so many injuries that there isn’t really time for “coaching” and getting new ideas across. It’s about fitness, rehabilitation and preparing for the next match.

I think ten Hag himself said that around December through to March there were so many matches and so many injuries that there isn’t really time for “coaching” and getting new ideas across. It’s about fitness, rehabilitation and preparing for the next match.
That's usual for the top teams, which is why it's a pity they do these big pre-season tours now. I know they so a lot of training anyway, but with all the travel, friendlies, PR stuff, and jetlag, it's obviously far from an optimal use of preparation time. And then after, it's the start of the season and soon things are too busy for extensive tactical work during trainings again.

I get the financial side of it, but it's still lame how football has turned out in that regard.

Other top teams seem able to incorporate training into their regimen between matches. Not all top teams, but certainly many do. You look at a squad like Arsenal and they clearly benefit from preparing for that opponent and work on training to maximize their effectiveness with the ball. We had a bad run of injuries last season but those who were able to play didn't appear to have benefitted from any kind training. The ball was a grenade at our feet match after match.

He'll be our interim manager by January.
Loving reading about Ruud’s training sessions. Completely agree around Christmas/new year. Erik has a lot of work to do.

This is a bit silly, he's a member of the coaching staff, so any van Nistelrooy success here is also Ten Hag's success. If we're performing badly enough to sack the manager, that's going to reflect badly on the coaches too.

The much more preferable scenario is that he gets us better drilled, nobody gets sacked, and we're winning games while making good progress towards playing the kind of football we're aiming for.

I’ll say this, ETH doesn’t appear to be a good communicator but also it’s easier to be the friend of players and liked when you’re not the manager
This.

That said, EtH is really convincing in prearranged sit down interviews. Not sure about in the heat of the moment on the training ground though.

Interesting that they left McClaren at home

This dude is definitely waiting in the wings should EtH get sacked 8 games in.

This seems very much the case. The model is to have a continuity candidate, not go off with a cheque book around the pubs where Tuckel and Poch & co drink between jobs.

This.

That said, EtH is really convincing in prearranged sit down interviews. Not sure about in the heat of the moment on the training ground though.

Interesting that they left McClaren at home
McClaren is injured so he couldn't fly.

I can't find any tweets (which is surprising) but Melissa Reddy said that Ruud took over the offensive training.

She said it was the "attacking automization drills". If we see any improvements in patterns of play offensively, I'm sure he will play a big role in it.

I have it timestamped below:

And now he's been talked up as playing a key role in getting that Arsenal kid to join United as well. Hope he's not just being bigged up as the new guy!