Ruud van Nistelrooy has joined United's coaching staff

Can you coach that type of skill? Looking back on the great strikers, Law, Greaves, Lineker, Ole et al, it all seemed instinctual.

Maybe not instinct; but positioning, timing runs, getting free/ that half yard away from defenders, these can prodigy be drilled into strikers.
Hoijlund should definitely benefit from Ruud

Ruud was exceptional at anticipating where the ball would come. His movements in the penalty box. I am sure he could pass on a few tips to the forwards. The young forwards including Wheatley could not wish for a better teacher.

I'm sure a few tips won't hurt, but I'm under no illusions our strikers will suddenly get better because someone who was once a great striker is coaching them.

So happy with Ruud's appointment! From a sentimental point, but also from hope that one of the greatest strikers in our history can pass on his expertise.

I'm completely behind Erik and our new structure, but if the worst was to happen within the next two seasons, I wonder if Ruud would be a shoe in to take over the managerial position considering his rather successful spell in charge of PSV?

I moved from Procurement Director to KAM position in a much bigger company don’t regret it.

In one of the most overtly homoerotic threads I’ve seen ( and I’m counting myself in here with my serious man love for Ruud ) I’m still strangely choosing this one for posts that sexual, but aren’t :lol:

Ruud was excellent in his masterclass episode and very reflective on what worked and what didn’t. He won a trophy as manger of PSV without the squad to beat Ajax.

I think this is the first sign on long term planning by the new committee. If Ten Hag doesn’t work out, then we will be very well placed to do a gradual transition to a similar football style.

no need for squad overhaul with each manager. Players will also know that it’s probably going to be the case and so won’t really throw out their prams in the same way as they could have under Ole and have a great start with ETH.

A great move overall with an up and coming coach.

I'm sure a few tips won't hurt, but I'm under no illusions our strikers will suddenly get better because someone who was once a great striker is coaching them.

The most likely improvement is the attackers passing to each other.

Gotta say, I didn't think he was going to end up coming here as an assistant coach after working as a head coach already. Here's hoping him along with ETH and Rene work well together.

Gotta say, I didn't think he was going to end up coming here as an assistant coach after working as a head coach already. Here's hoping him along with ETH and Rene work well together.
I feel we need that one tactical genius still. Like Fergie had Queroz or whatever his nme was hahaha

Happy to have Ruud back. Hojlund now has one of the most lethal penalty box strikers as his mentor. He should deliver at least 20 goals this season.

I hope Ten Hag turns it around and does well, but I'd absolutely love it if Ruud became our manager and did well here.

Great player and seems a top bloke.
I remember watching him as a kid in agony on the training pitch before we were to buy him. Came back just as good. One of the best Finishers we'll ever see

I hope Ten Hag turns it around and does well, but I'd absolutely love it if Ruud became our manager and did well here.

Great player and seems a top bloke.
I remember watching him as a kid in agony on the training pitch before we were to buy him. Came back just as good. One of the best Finishers we'll ever see
Why? He has very little experience

I feel the telling part is "and did well". Which I get, we'd all love to have someone we like do well here. If Ole turned out to be a great manager we'd all be pretty happy having a legend at the helm.

Neither did Pep at one stage.
I'm not actually saying I want him as a full time appointment, but, if for whatever reason, Ten Hag has a bad season, I could see us putting him in charge to see it out, and he could show promise.

I'm just talking about the guy, I hope he has a good managerial career, and if was here, even better

I feel the telling part is "and did well". Which I get, we'd all love to have someone we like do well here. If Ole turned out to be a great manager we'd all be pretty happy having a legend at the helm.
Yeah but my question (because I see a lot of people saying he should become manager after ETH) is why should he get it?

Neither did Pep at one stage.
I'm not actually saying I want him as a full time appointment, but, if for whatever reason, Ten Hag has a bad season, I could see us putting him in charge to see it out, and he could show promise.

I'm just talking about the guy, I hope he has a good managerial career, and if was here, even better
Love the guy too, but it would be akin to giving ole the job

To put it in context, the one manager role he had, he quit, and said that he felt he wasn’t ready

so I wish him success in his coaching career but I don’t want him anywhere near the job of Manchester United manager yet

Yeah but my question (because I see a lot of people saying he should become manager after ETH) is why should he get it?
I agree with you. I'd think that if we get to the point that we need an interim this season Hake would be the more reasonable choice, given that he has a lot more experience managing. It's romanticism that leads people to suggest Ruud at this point.

I think it's a huge coup to get a guy like Ruud on the staff. Not like it's jobs for the boys, he would be highly qualified with his coaching experience. He could probably get a managerial job but he's taking a step back in position to go to a much bigger club and if he's associated with success in helping us rebuild and play better football and score goals it will probably help towards his ultimate managerial ambitions.

Ruud's winning and fighting spirit is what lacks in the squad nowadays, "grinta". Besides that, he was one of the most lethal finishers with a great technique we've had up front.

And what he is most? He's a born Brabander (born in Noord-Brabant), not an over the hill attitude, he's direct in his communication, serious when it matters and a lot of fun and joking "to break the ice". Skills EtH doesn't really have.

Top top fella, really excited to have Ruud on board.

Reactions: Invictus
Going Dutch

In keeping with the Dutch theme, Manchester United announced this morning the appointment of Vincent van Gogh as artistic director.

Van Gogh will be working with van Nistelrooy focusing on the team's between the posts impressions

Coach Ten Hag added that this will herald the beginning of a new ear.

Why no interview or similar with him yet? Would be interesting to have his view and also how it feels to be back at United.

Going Dutch

In keeping with the Dutch theme, Manchester United announced this morning the appointment of Vincent van Gogh as artistic director.

Van Gogh will be working with van Nistelrooy focusing on the team's between the posts impressions

Coach Ten Hag added that this will herald the beginning of a new ear.
Well done.

Yet more jobs for the old boys, ineos are a laughing stock man. well hello

You're posting tongue in cheek, but it's funny how some players coming back are seen as pathetic jobs for old boys, yet Ruud coming back is treated as an epic return.

You can't beat a bit of nostalgia and everyone really loves a bit of old hero returning action.

Is it just me, but that doesn't look like Ruud at all...and where is he walking to in the second pic haha.

Love Ruud :devil:

The ball doesn’t come into the box half as often or half as effectually as when ruud was in the team…it’s not just about our strikers lacking instincts it’s more the poor service coming in and usually it’s just a matter of stopping Bruno.

Ruud's winning and fighting spirit is what lacks in the squad nowadays, "grinta". Besides that, he was one of the most lethal finishers with a great technique we've had up front.

And what he is most? He's a born Brabander (born in Noord-Brabant), not an over the hill attitude, he's direct in his communication, serious when it matters and a lot of fun and joking "to break the ice". Skills EtH doesn't really have.

Top top fella, really excited to have Ruud on board.
There are definitely shitty Brabanders as well, but Van Nistelrooij is more laid-back, yeah. Although apparently he doesn't suffer fools lightly and he was obviously a real winner as a player, so I'm thinking he might be more intense on the pitch than those interview videos might have you think.

Anyway, Brabanders de gekste and all that, @KirkDuyt.

The ball doesn’t come into the box half as often or half as effectually as when ruud was in the team…it’s not just about our strikers lacking instincts it’s more the poor service coming in and usually it’s just a matter of stopping Bruno.
Ruud would go nuts in our current system. He had Beckham on one side supplying crosses, Giggs on the other. Scholes behind him and a second striker occupying defenders and passing to him.
Poor Hojlund has the wingers making a beeline towards the penalty spot looking to shoot. He only gets a rebound if lucky.

How much love does Ruud get from our fan base? Such a good striker but also a great character. Love the guy, and very happy he’s back at the club!