Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

I cannot wait for the next general election.

What the feck is this shit. I really struggle to put into words how much I hate this government.

Unless I’m reading this wrong, I think about my partner who is from Slovenia, she wouldn’t have a single family member eligible to come over. Parents, grandparents, little niece and nephews. Like what the feck.

Yup. Looks like the only real one who exists is meme called General Denaturov.

The forever drunk Russian general who was handled a military title through connections with Putin. He never fired a weapon, he was just a bodyguard and suddenly he's leading the invasion and he don't know what's happening around him. Also he's directly responsible for Roma gypsies stealing a Russian tank in village of Ljubimovka.

tw8a7876241b.jpg
link_1646074649XuTfNLCJsNeLIRbKDNzsml,w300h223.jpg
He looks the definition of ‘afternoon sesh’

What the feck is this shit. I really struggle to put into words how much I hate this government.

Unless I’m reading this wrong, I think about my partner who is from Slovenia, she wouldn’t have a single family member eligible to come over. Parents, grandparents, little niece and nephews. Like what the feck.
Nice.

Agreed with the rest Of your post feck the Tories

It's the way that they so brazenly lie that really sticks with you. No morals, no principles, no shame. Absolute shower of cnuts and so is anyone that votes for them.

The Russians will likely expel the same number of diplomats from the US mission in Russia. If some of those are actually CIA case agents, then that's fewer case agents the US has to work sources in Russia.

That’ll all be taken into account when making the decision. Also getting expelled from Russia now is probably a blessing.

Depends what they’ve been up to. Sometimes it’s a calculated risk to keep them around and just follow them, but the invasion gives them the pretext to boot them out without too much fuss (although we’ll see).

Very likely. Or that they've been caught doing something particularly naughty.

Michael Kofman is saying now that he is starting to see a shift in tactics from the Russian army that will likely lead to more success for them (waiting for logistics to catch up, using multiple units in concert after softening areas with artillery and airstrikes). Will be concerning to see if this leads to an increase in civilian casualities and/or inability of UKR military to maintain the success they have so far.

This needs more discussion and focus I think

That’ll all be taken into account when making the decision. Also getting expelled from Russia now is probably a blessing.
I'm sure they've taken it into account and have accepted the costs, I was just pointing out that it is not a costless action.

Who has acted like that?

It’s more unusual you don’t care or see the benefit in showing solidarity across all fronts with this
Plenty of folks in my neck of the internet woods.

Oh now we're about showing solidarity with downtrodden of the world. I'm just feeling cynical about all this. This banning of sport teams does nothing significant for my money. It's just FIFA and UEFA scoring cheap political points.

Don't think the following has been posted.

But this is exactly the kind of stuff Russia is liable to do under Putler. The guys is itching for a fight like a cornered rat.

It's the way that they so brazenly lie that really sticks with you. No morals, no principles, no shame. Absolute shower of cnuts and so is anyone that votes for them.

I don’t really understand how I can scroll through the whole bbc news page and this isn’t a headline anywhere. It’s scandalous.

Of course they didn't. They did it because no one wanted to play a Russian team and they had no choice.

UEFA did sever ties with Gazprom though, who had brought a lot of money. That's something at least.
They'll make their nut from somewhere else. This move scores them points in boardrooms throughout Europe.

Claims of Russia using cluster bombs containing forbidden Petal mines in Kharkiv :

But this is exactly the kind of stuff Russia is liable to do under Putler. The guys is itching for a fight like a cornered rat.

Desperate bluster. Putin is already using another country to kill Ukrainians, so he himself has already set the precedent of third party nations getting involved.

Desperate bluster. Putin is already using another country to kill Ukrainians, so he himself has already set the precedent of third party nations getting involved.
And the Ukraine is a country defending itself. Denying them arms sales at this point would effectively mean denying them their right to self defense.

There's a whole European continent out there, we are not part of the EU. Hence brexit. We've been taken for absolute mugs for too long in the past.

Although I would take in refugees in warfare until they could return to wherever they feel safe.

It was posted many pages ago. Just a bluff most likely by Putin.

There's a whole European continent out there, we are not part of the EU. Hence brexit. We've been taken for absolute mugs for too long in the past.

Although I would take in refugees in warfare until they could return to wherever they feel safe.
Read the room, man

Yes. My wife and son are Ukrainian. We can not bring anyone over. Usually we could at least apply for a tourist visa for family or friends. They have closed that route off now too. I cannot emphasise at how performative our Government is being at making grand gestures and then not following it up on a humanitarian front. But these are the people responsible for Windrush, so nobody can be surprised.

It hardly seems fair that we get to take the credit when the Ukrainians are the ones risking their lives :D

It's a bit fecking late for that, isn't it.

I believe this is your very first post outside the football forums, and certainly in this thread? That says a lot.

We don't have a happy record of helping those in need. We tightened visa and asylum rules during the Yugoslav Wars making it harder for fleeing refugees to come here.

Out of interest, why are they banned?

Cluster munitions are prohibited for two main reasons. First, they spread multiple bomblets or submunitions indiscriminately over a wide area, which can be devastating for civilians caught in a strike. Second, many submunitions fail to explode on initial impact, leaving dangerous duds that, like landmines, can kill and maim for years to come unless cleared and destroyed.

Yes. My wife and son are Ukrainian. We can not bring anyone over. Usually we could at least apply for a tourist visa. They have closed that route off now too. I cannot emphasise at how performative our Government is being at making grand gestures and then not following it up on a humanitarian front. But these are the people responsible for Windrush, so nobody can be surprised.

I am so sorry. It really isn't a lot to open our doors to those fleeing for their lives. Even if we were cynical we could justify it on the grounds that we have 1m vacancies in our economy which need filling.

You definitely have been taken for a mug by Tories if you believe this nonsense

This could be a whopper of a derailer.

Read the room, man
We've had some absolutely insane suggestions from staff on here, who obviously have absolutely no fecking idea what they are saying. I was watching last night. And it's just as toxic of a place as the match day threads. Only worse. In this scenario.

It's a bit fecking late for that, isn't it.
Bit desperate, isn't it? That and killing civilians and besieging cities like in the dark ages.

Seems like the strong man (although he looks a bit like the Michelin mascot nowadays) is not feeling that secure.