Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

So what you're saying is, Ukraine can't be let determine its own fate.
That is absolutely what I’m saying. There is absolutely no way Russia can allow expansion into Ukraine. It has a strategic significance and and a symbolic as well.

I’m being objective about this. I don’t want any incursions in any countries. I don’t want any collateral damage.

However, I can’t just close my eyes to it.

So what you're saying is, Ukraine can't be let determine its own fate.
Also I’m not supporting Russia’s actions.
I’m just saying that geopolitically it’s the least of what you’d expect.

That is absolutely what I’m saying. There is absolutely no way Russia can allow expansion into Ukraine. It has a strategic significance and and a symbolic as well.

I’m being objective about this. I don’t want any incursions in any countries. I don’t want any collateral damage.

However, I can’t just close my eyes to it.
It's just odd when someone that has served in the UK military holds such opinions..

It's just odd when someone that has served in the UK military holds such opinions..
I don’t think it’s odd at all. I have absolutely nothing to gain from any conflict between Russia and UK. If they did, though, I have sworn to defend The Queen, UK and so on. I fully intend to do that. Something which I told my VDV Russian friends as a joke… I hope you don’t find it odd… a person that’s on the internet…

I don’t think it’s odd at all. I have absolutely nothing to gain from any conflict between Russia and UK. If they did, though, I have sworn to defend The Queen, UK and so on. I fully intend to do that. Something which I told my VDV Russian friends as a joke… I hope you don’t find it odd… a person that’s on the internet…

Maybe we will go to war and you'll end up shooting a Russian who is about to bayonet some poor bloke in the head and that bloke will turn out to be The Firestarter. He'll get up and thank you and then he notices you have "Paxi" on your uniform because you're also an internet weirdo and as he tries to apologize your Russian VDV friend shoots you in the head from 600m away. I've seen a lot of movies and that's how these things tend to go unfortunately.

Maybe we will go to war and you'll end up shooting a Russian who is about to bayonet some poor bloke in the head and that bloke will turn out to be The Firestarter. He'll get up and thank you and then he notices you have "Paxi" on your uniform because you're also an internet weirdo and as he tries to apologize your Russian VDV friend shoots you in the head from 600m away. I've seen a lot of movies and that's how these things tend to go unfortunately.
For queen and country.

For queen and country.

I find this extremely peculiar. I’m 32. Little chance of getting anywhere near of getting near a fecking battlefield. fecking hell — things would have to get bad.

I think there's a very small chance Hectic wasn't being completely serious.
Same as Price being serious about Russia staging a false flag attack then?

I find this extremely peculiar. I’m 32. Little chance of getting anywhere near of getting near a fecking battlefield. fecking hell — things would have to get bad.

That's the sort of thing someone says just before they are called up to serve in a war they definitely die in.

Same as Price being serious about Russia staging a false flag attack then?

You seem convinced it couldn't happen, which means that if it did happen it would definitely serve its purpose. It's not like false flags haven't happened before in situations like this, though Russia would have to be pretty convinced about war being the right move. But you yourself have already stated that western influence over Russia would be unacceptable to Russia and could lead to war, so why would a false flag be so unlikely?

You seem convinced it couldn't happen, which means that if it did happen it would definitely serve its purpose. It's not like false flags haven't happened before in situations like this, though Russia would have to be pretty convinced about war being the right move. But you yourself have already stated that western influence over Russia would be unacceptable to Russia and could lead to war, so why would a false flag be so unlikely?

There is a seed that’s being spread in Russia; — anything the west say; believe the opposite. Not outright but the rhetoric is certainly there imo. There have been discussions on mainstream Russian tv which I have watched myself where there were speculation as to how far the west would go in accusing Russia in its aggression. Mostly it’s incoherent babble but I’ve listened to a commentator, for the love of God I cannot remember his name, but some prominent people can vouch for him to being fairly objective, in which he ruled out WW3 but he didn’t rule out anything else.

Why would it be odd? Do you not think there's equivalent red lines for every power?

There's not many countries in the world of strategic importance that are free to do whatever they want without outside influence.

Even on Nord 2 the US has been threatening Europe with sanctions over it's own energy policy since 2019 to try and meddle.

Why would it be odd? Do you not think there's equivalent red lines for every power?

There's not many countries in the world of strategic importance that are free to do whatever they want without outside influence.

Even on Nord 2 the US has been threatening Europe with sanctions over it's own energy policy since 2019 to try and meddle.
He literally said Ukraine can't be let to the decide its own fate.

I used to think that too. I used to be pro western as I grown up in the west. I wouldn’t say I grew disillusioned with the west… I would say that some things just didn’t align. There were certainly some things in which I was sold in regards to Putin. He was named as international Pearce prize whatever the feck times person of the year. I was young… ethnically Russian but British and here was this Russian guy being everting I wanted to be… of course I was impressed.

As I got older I got the feeling of what my grandfather and my dad felt and they didn’t particularly like Putin but he still had my support. I just thought what do they know.. just that they live in Russia, serve Russia but I’ll just do what I want.

It has been about 4 years since I’ve been Putin out, probably more but I can guarantee you that we’ve been absolutely harassed into voting one way.

This is going to happen then?

Whether or not it happens seems to be informed by people thinking it will happen. For instance, the US spilling the beans on Putin's plans would obviously ruin the element of surprise and cause it (at least momentarily) to not happen. Likewise, those insisting it won't happen only incentivizes it to happen unexpetedly.

What element of surprise? How does it even work when the whole world talks about a potential conflict non-stop, tracking army movements near the border for the last 5 months.

What element of surprise? How does it even work when the whole world talks about a potential conflict non-stop, tracking army movements near the border for the last 5 months.

The spotlight was also on Russia and Crimea in 2014 and they still managed to manufacture an inciting incident in Crimea as a justification to invade. That's how hybrid ops work - you don't just invade without first manufacturing a provocation to justify it. In the case of 2014, he fomented a series of protests against "Euro Maidan" movements in places like Sevastopol to create a fake public perception that there was trouble in Crimea, which then allowed his little green men to parachute in, shut off local TV/Radio, emplace a local Russian stooge as leader, and create a sham referendum. The real reason of course was he was enraged that his pro-Russian puppet in Kiev got run out of town, which would lessen his control over Ukraine and thwart his long term ambition of retaking all of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Ukraine crisis: Macron says a deal to avoid war is within reach

French President Emmanuel Macron has said he thinks a deal to avoid war in Ukraine is possible and that it is legitimate for Russia to raise its own security concerns.

Before talks in Moscow with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday, he called for a "new balance" to protect European states and appease Russia.
He restated that the sovereignty of Ukraine was not up for discussion.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60281863

I'll believe it when I see it.

Brexit was so fecking stupid.

After the fall of the iron curtain, the world had basically two major blocs: the US and the EU - with the US mostly calling the shots. Now we've got four, with China and Russia joining the party.

The UK was actually leading member of one of those blocs. But voluntarily chose to leave. So whilst a united Europe might have had a chance to stand up to the others (militarily or economically), they've now been left deferring to the US on every single matter and getting ignored by the rest. Russia won't fecking listen to anything anybody else has to say. Putin knows that the US are the ones wearing the pants in the relationship after Europe got neutured in the 2016 referendum.

Which leaves Macron as supposedly the most powerful man in Europe playing at being a little emporer is Merkel's absence. He's out there speaking on behalf of an entire continent, while Russia carrying on with limiting supplies through the Ukrainian gas pipeline. That's causing the cost of living to skyrocket for everybody in Europe - including Britain.

Once upon a time, we might have actually had a say in this crisis. Instead, Boris is left on the sidelines with his thumb up his arse hoping that either the French can bail us out or that a newly isolationist US can change its foreign policy.

I think this will all come down to the Brussels approving the new Baltic pipeline. Putin annexing Eastern Ukraine is also a possibility, but a lot will depend on whether he can find a puppet leader to step in in the short term. Neither the EU nor the US will have the stomach to stand up to Russia in their current states.

After the fall of the iron curtain, the world had basically two major blocs: the US and the EU - with the US mostly calling the shots. Now we've got four, with China and Russia joining the party.

The UK was actually leading member of one of those blocs. But voluntarily chose to leave. So whilst a united Europe might have had a chance to stand up to the others (militarily or economically), they've now been left deferring to the US on every single matter and getting ignored by the rest. Russia won't fecking listen to anything anybody else has to say. Putin knows that the US are the ones wearing the pants in the relationship after Europe got neutured in the 2016 referendum.

Which leaves Macron as supposedly the most powerful man in Europe playing at being a little emporer is Merkel's absence. He's out there speaking on behalf of an entire continent, while Russia carrying on with limiting supplies through the Ukrainian gas pipeline. That's causing the cost of living to skyrocket for everybody in Europe - including Britain.

Once upon a time, we might have actually had a say in this crisis. Instead, Boris is left on the sidelines with his thumb up his arse hoping that either the French can bail us out or that a newly isolationist US can change its foreign policy.

I think this will all come down to the Brussels approving the new Baltic pipeline. Putin annexing Eastern Ukraine is also a possibility, but a lot will depend on whether he can find a puppet leader to step in in the short term. Neither the EU nor the US will have the stomach to stand up to Russia in their current states.

If the US was truly isolationist at this moment, things would be far worse for Europe at this moment. Part of me thinks Putin should have initiated all of this a year or two back, would have easily gotten the deal he wants now and the EU and UK would have been left out to dry.

If the US was truly isolationist at this moment, things would be far worse for Europe at this moment. Part of me thinks Putin should have initiated all of this a year or two back, would have easily gotten the deal he wants now and the EU and UK would have been left out to dry.

Nah Putin is rational. He knew the US president was an unpredictable maniac and responses could have ranged from shrugging his shoulders to lobbing nukes. All Putin had to do was wait for him to be gone. He knows that he'll sustain minimal troop loss and EU/US won't bat for Ukraine.

For what its worth, my personal belief is that full annexation of Crimea is inevitable, invasion of Donbas possible, Cutting off Ukrainian sea access navally to be a pain in the ass probable, and anything more ranges from extremely unlikely to impossible.

That's what the revisionists say but in reality the French would have none of it, and when push came to shove the Germans always deferred to the French.

The remoaners try to invent the UK's importance in the EU, other than paying more in than anyone other than Germany in order to run the worst trade deficit in the EU, the UK was mostly ignored and or despised for its views. We see that even more clearly since we left.

The EU doesn't know what to do about Russia and in the EU Britain's stance would carry little weight and be criticized and opposed by Franco/German self interest.

When will we reach the point where people drop the delusion and accept that the EU can not be a united states of Europe? Almost no one in the EU wants it to be and it never has had a single world view or aligned foreign policy interests. As a result its a meek semblance of a "major block" for the small minded generally anti US protectionists.

That's what the revisionists say but in reality the French would have none of it, and when push came to shove the Germans always deferred to the French.

The remoaners try to invent the UK's importance in the EU, other than paying more in than anyone other than Germany in order to run the worst trade deficit in the EU, the UK was mostly ignored and or despised for its views. We see that even more clearly since we left.

The EU doesn't know what to do about Russia and in the EU Britain's stance would carry little weight and be criticized and opposed by Franco/German self interest.

When will we reach the point where people drop the delusion and accept that the EU can not be a united states of Europe? Almost no one in the EU wants it to be and it never has had a single world view or aligned foreign policy interests. As a result its a meek semblance of a "major block" for the small minded generally anti US protectionists.
When Murdoch learns some more languages, buys more newspapers/TV Channels across Europe, and goes back in time a couple of decades. The EU will never be what brexiteers painted it would become, because no one ever wanted it. France is still France, Italy still Italy, Spain still Spain. The only ones who thought they need to shoot themeselves to stay themeselves have already done so.

Nah Putin is rational. He knew the US president was an unpredictable maniac and responses could have ranged from shrugging his shoulders to lobbing nukes. All Putin had to do was wait for him to be gone. He knows that he'll sustain minimal troop loss and EU/US won't bat for Ukraine.

For what its worth, my personal belief is that full annexation of Crimea is inevitable, invasion of Donbas possible, Cutting off Ukrainian sea access navally to be a pain in the ass probable, and anything more ranges from extremely unlikely to impossible.

I doubt this after watching Trump's press conference with Putin in Helsinki. When it came to Putin, Trump was remarkably consistent, arguably the only thing he was consistent on apart from "building the wall".

I doubt this after watching Trump's press conference with Putin in Helsinki. When it came to Putin, Trump was remarkably consistent, arguably the only thing he was consistent on apart from "building the wall".

Dec 5Sanctions – In response to $100 million bank hacking scheme
A Russian-based cybercriminal organization called “Evil Corp” was sanctioned for using malware to steal more than $100 million from banks and financial institutions.

Sep 30Sanctions – In response to 2018 election interference attempt
Four entities and seven individuals, including Russian financier Yevgeniy Prigozhin, were sanctioned over attempted interference in the 2018 U.S. midterm elections.

Sep 26Sanctions – In response to sanctions-evading scheme for Syria
The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control identified Moscow-based Maritime Assistance LLC as the head of a “sanctions evasion scheme” to deliver jet fuel to Syria.

Aug 2Sanctions – In response to Salisbury attack
The U.S. Department of State announced more sanctions against Russia over its use of a nerve agent in Salisbury in 2018. The sanctions fall under the Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act and mean the U.S. will oppose loans and assistance by international financial institutions, and restrictions on the export on Department of Commerce-controlled goods and technology.

May 16Sanctions – In response to human rights abuses
A Chechen group and 5 Russian individuals were sanctioned under the Magnitsky Act over allegations of human rights abuses, including extrajudicial killings and the torture of LGBT people.

Mar 15Sanctions – In response to Russia’s continued aggression in Ukraine
6 Russian individuals and 8 entities were sanctioned for their involvement in attacks on Ukrainian naval vessels in the Kerch Strait, the annexation of Crimea, and backing of separatist government elections in eastern Ukraine. These actions complement sanctions also taken by the European Union and Canada on the same day.

Mar 11Sanctions – In response to dealings with Venezuela
The United States sanctioned Evrofinance Mosnarbank, a Moscow-based bank jointly owned by Russian and Venezuelan state-owned companies, for attempting to circumvent U.S. sanctions on Venezuela.

Dec 19Sanctions – In response to Russia’s continued disregard for international norms
18 Russian individuals were sanctioned for their involvement in a wide range of malign activities, including attempting to interfere in the 2016 U.S. election, efforts to undermine international organizations through cyber-enabled means, and the Skripal attack in the United Kingdom.

Oct 4Indictments – In response to malicious cyber-related activities
7 officers of the Russian military intelligence service (GRU) were charged for their involvement in hacking Olympic athletes, anti-doping organizations, and chemical weapons monitors.

Sep 20Sanctions – In response to malicious activities
33 Russian individuals and entities were sanctioned for their role in U.S. election interference and their involvement in supporting military operations in Syria and Ukraine. A Chinese entity and its director were also sanctioned for purchasing jet fighters and missiles from Russia.

Sep 12Executive Order – Imposing sanctions for election interference
President Trump signed an executive order imposing sanctions on any nation or individual who authorizes, directs, or sponsors meddling operations in U.S. elections. The order would allow for the freezing of assets and the limiting of foreign access to U.S. financial institutions, as well as a cutoff of U.S. investment in sanctioned companies.

Aug 21Sanctions – In response to malicious cyber-related activities
2 Russian individuals, a Russian company, and a Slovakian company were sanctioned for helping another Russian company avoid sanctions over the country’s malicious cyber-related activities.

Jul 25Declaration – Secretary of State Mike Pompeo issues Crimea Declaration
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced a formal policy reaffirming the U.S. rejection of Russia’s annexation of Crimea. The announcement was released an hour before his scheduled testimony to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Jun 11Sanctions – In response to malicious cyber-related activities
5 Russian entities and 3 individuals – all closely linked to Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) – were sanctioned.

Apr 6Sanctions – In response to worldwide malign activity
7 Russian oligarchs and the companies they own or control, 17 senior Russian government officials, and a state-owned Russian weapons trading company (and a bank it owns) were sanctioned for their roles in advancing Russia’s malign activities – including the continued occupation of Crimea, engaging in cyberattacks, and supporting Assad’s regime.

Mar 26Expulsions – Russian intelligence officers in Washington and Seattle
48 Russian intelligence officers from the Russian embassy in Washington were expelled, and the Russian consulate in Seattle was ordered to close, in response to the Skripal poisoning in the United Kingdom.

Mar 25Expulsions – Russian intelligence officers in New York
12 Russian intelligence officers from the Russian Mission to the United Nations in New York were expelled for actions deemed to be abuses of their privilege of residence.

Mar 15Sanctions – In response to election meddling and cyberattacks
5 Russian entities and 19 individuals were sanctioned for conducting a series of cyberattacks and interfering in the 2016 U.S. elections.

Feb 16Indictments – In response to election meddling and cyberattacks
3 Russian entities and 13 individuals were indicted for conducting information operations to influence the 2016 U.S. elections.

Feb 7Military Action – In response to attack on U.S.-held base in Deir Ezzor, Syria
U.S. troops killed hundreds of Syrian forces backed by Russian mercenaries (as well as Russian private military contractors). The American bombing was launched in response to a surprise attack on a U.S.-held base in the oil-rich Deir Ezzor region in Syria.

Jan 26Sanctions – In response to Ukraine conflict
21 individuals and 9 entities were sanctioned in connection with the conflict in Ukraine and Russia’s occupation of Crimea.

Dec 22Announcement – Provision of lethal weapons to Ukraine
The U.S. administration approved a plan to provide Ukraine with enhanced defensive capabilities to help it fight off Russia-backed separatists.

Dec 20Sanctions – Global Magnitsky Act
52 people and entities from Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and elsewhere were sanctioned for alleged human rights violations and corruption.

Dec 19Export restrictions – In response to INF Treaty violation
The Department of Commerce announced new licensing and export restrictions on Russian companies Novator and Titan-Barrikady over production of a cruise missile prohibited by the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).

Aug 2Legislation – President Trump signs Russia sanctions bill into law (CAATSA)
President Trump signed into law the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions act (CAATSA), enacting new sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea.

And this data is from Brookings, the best thinktank for all the young Kissingers and LeMays incubating in this thread :)

A Russian-based cybercriminal organization called “Evil Corp” was sanctioned for using malware to steal more than $100 million from banks and financial institutions.

Four entities and seven individuals, including Russian financier Yevgeniy Prigozhin, were sanctioned over attempted interference in the 2018 U.S. midterm elections.

The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control identified Moscow-based Maritime Assistance LLC as the head of a “sanctions evasion scheme” to deliver jet fuel to Syria.

The U.S. Department of State announced more sanctions against Russia over its use of a nerve agent in Salisbury in 2018. The sanctions fall under the Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act and mean the U.S. will oppose loans and assistance by international financial institutions, and restrictions on the export on Department of Commerce-controlled goods and technology.

A Chechen group and 5 Russian individuals were sanctioned under the Magnitsky Act over allegations of human rights abuses, including extrajudicial killings and the torture of LGBT people.

6 Russian individuals and 8 entities were sanctioned for their involvement in attacks on Ukrainian naval vessels in the Kerch Strait, the annexation of Crimea, and backing of separatist government elections in eastern Ukraine. These actions complement sanctions also taken by the European Union and Canada on the same day.

The United States sanctioned Evrofinance Mosnarbank, a Moscow-based bank jointly owned by Russian and Venezuelan state-owned companies, for attempting to circumvent U.S. sanctions on Venezuela.

Dec 19Sanctions – In response to Russia’s continued disregard for international norms
18 Russian individuals were sanctioned for their involvement in a wide range of malign activities, including attempting to interfere in the 2016 U.S. election, efforts to undermine international organizations through cyber-enabled means, and the Skripal attack in the United Kingdom.

7 officers of the Russian military intelligence service (GRU) were charged for their involvement in hacking Olympic athletes, anti-doping organizations, and chemical weapons monitors.

33 Russian individuals and entities were sanctioned for their role in U.S. election interference and their involvement in supporting military operations in Syria and Ukraine. A Chinese entity and its director were also sanctioned for purchasing jet fighters and missiles from Russia.

President Trump signed an executive order imposing sanctions on any nation or individual who authorizes, directs, or sponsors meddling operations in U.S. elections. The order would allow for the freezing of assets and the limiting of foreign access to U.S. financial institutions, as well as a cutoff of U.S. investment in sanctioned companies.

2 Russian individuals, a Russian company, and a Slovakian company were sanctioned for helping another Russian company avoid sanctions over the country’s malicious cyber-related activities.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced a formal policy reaffirming the U.S. rejection of Russia’s annexation of Crimea. The announcement was released an hour before his scheduled testimony to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

5 Russian entities and 3 individuals – all closely linked to Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) – were sanctioned.

7 Russian oligarchs and the companies they own or control, 17 senior Russian government officials, and a state-owned Russian weapons trading company (and a bank it owns) were sanctioned for their roles in advancing Russia’s malign activities – including the continued occupation of Crimea, engaging in cyberattacks, and supporting Assad’s regime.

48 Russian intelligence officers from the Russian embassy in Washington were expelled, and the Russian consulate in Seattle was ordered to close, in response to the Skripal poisoning in the United Kingdom.

12 Russian intelligence officers from the Russian Mission to the United Nations in New York were expelled for actions deemed to be abuses of their privilege of residence.

5 Russian entities and 19 individuals were sanctioned for conducting a series of cyberattacks and interfering in the 2016 U.S. elections.

3 Russian entities and 13 individuals were indicted for conducting information operations to influence the 2016 U.S. elections.

Feb 7Military Action – In response to attack on U.S.-held base in Deir Ezzor, Syria
U.S. troops killed hundreds of Syrian forces backed by Russian mercenaries (as well as Russian private military contractors). The American bombing was launched in response to a surprise attack on a U.S.-held base in the oil-rich Deir Ezzor region in Syria.

21 individuals and 9 entities were sanctioned in connection with the conflict in Ukraine and Russia’s occupation of Crimea.

The U.S. administration approved a plan to provide Ukraine with enhanced defensive capabilities to help it fight off Russia-backed separatists.

52 people and entities from Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, and elsewhere were sanctioned for alleged human rights violations and corruption.

The Department of Commerce announced new licensing and export restrictions on Russian companies Novator and Titan-Barrikady over production of a cruise missile prohibited by the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF).

Aug 2Legislation – President Trump signs Russia sanctions bill into law (CAATSA)
President Trump signed into law the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions act (CAATSA), enacting new sanctions on Russia, Iran, and North Korea.

And this data is from Brookings, the best thinktank for all the young Kissingers and LeMays incubating in this thread :)

All of this of course glosses over the fact that sanctions during Trump's tenure happened in spite of his constant delays and deflections of doing something, until Congress and many Republicans pressured him into capitulating. If left to his own devices, no action would've been taken.

Washington – Today, the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) took action against Russian actors that attempted to influence the 2018 U.S. midterm elections, though there was no indication that foreign actors were able to compromise election infrastructure that would have prevented voting, changed vote counts, or disrupted the tallying of votes. Today’s action also increases pressure on previously designated person Yevgeniy Prigozhin by targeting his physical assets, including three aircraft and a yacht, as well as employees of the Internet Research Agency, which Yevgeniy Prigozhin finances. While today’s action only targets Russian actors, the U.S. Government is safeguarding our democratic processes from adversaries — primarily Russia, Iran, and China — that may be seeking to influence the upcoming 2020 elections.

^weird opening statement

If you have a clear proof that Foreign Nation is actively trying to meddle with your election, then you should go all out, even if it means war. Not by targetting his Yatch, and aircraft. And you need to either proof that such tampering exist and not just brandishing your stick and just claiming that "Russia, Iran, and China" Might tamper the election. Tampering with election (if said accusations are real) is a serious act of war, the fact that there's no real fire out of this probably means that it's just fabricated rubbish as usual

All of this of course glosses over the fact that sanctions during Trump's tenure happened in spite of his constant delays and deflections of doing something, until Congress and many Republicans pressured him into capitulating. If left to his own devices, no action would've been taken.

There are literally multiple executive actions on that list. He's the executive, not Congress, and not other Republicans.
For the others, the laws, he also had a veto - which he used when he wanted to, for example to facilitate the mass slaughter in Yemen. He didn't feel it necessary to use it to defend Russia.

Here's a writeup from his domestic foes (liberals and their neocon allies) praising his hawkish policy: https://www.npr.org/2018/07/20/630659379/is-trump-the-toughest-ever-on-russia

Take military spending: Trump sought to add $1.4 billion for fiscal year 2018 to the European Deterrence Initiative — a military effort to deter Russian aggression that was initially known as the European Reassurance Initiative. That's a 41 percent increase from the last year of the Obama administration. The president also agreed to send lethal weapons to Ukraine — a step that Obama resisted. And Trump gave U.S. forces in Syria more leeway to engage with Russian troops.

"Those loosened rules of engagement have resulted in direct military clashes with Russian militants and mercenaries on the ground, actually resulting in one incident in hundreds of casualties on the Russian side," Vajdich said.

The administration has also imposed sanctions on dozens of Russian oligarchs and government officials. And Trump has aggressively promoted U.S. energy exports, although so far that hasn't created much competition for Russia's oil and gas.

"There's a real disconnect between the president's words and the underlying policy," said Richard Fontaine, president of the Center for a New American Security.

Here's a writeup from his domestic friends also praising his hawkish policy: https://thehill.com/opinion/white-h...er-on-russia-in-18-months-than-obama-in-eight

Even though the left-wing media will never give him credit, President Trump has been far tougher on Russia than his predecessor, Barack Obama.

So much so, the sanctions resemble a Russian nesting doll: one sanction of top of another, on top of another.

Just last April, the Trump administration imposed new sanctions on Russia — including strict sanctions on seven of Russia’s richest individuals and 17 top government officials for their interference in our elections.

The sanctions were significant — among the toughest sanctions ever placed on individuals in a foreign country, with the exception of perhaps Iran and North Korea. Yet like many of Trump’s successes, it received minimal mainstream media coverage.

He was, especially on a personal level, but I feel it was due to the fact he’s a narcissistic megalomaniac who geniunely thought Putin was his friend and liked strongmen, rather than being in bed with him. Remember the relationship with Macron? He has history of falling out with “friends” and then unleashing random vengeance. For Putin, why stir the hornets neet?

He was, especially on a personal level, but I feel it was due to the fact he’s a narcissistic megalomaniac who geniunely thought Putin was his friend and liked strongmen, rather than being in bed with him. Remember the relationship with Macron? He has history of falling out with “friends” and then unleashing random vengeance. For Putin, why stir the hornets neet?

I think he simply wants a permit for his Trump Tower Moscow. He's not that smart for anything more than chump change. His method of embezzlement is often crude (overcharging expense at Mar'lago, over charging donations, selling tickets for rally, etc)

I think he simply wants a permit for his Trump Tower Moscow. He's not that smart for anything more than chump change. His method of embezzlement is often crude (overcharging expense at Mar'lago, over charging donations, selling tickets for rally, etc)

This is probably the first and only time I'll ever agree with you, I never thought they had serious kompromat on Trump, Trump just wanted the money he could get by doing business in Russia. Similar game played with the Saudis and MBS.

There are literally multiple executive actions on that list. He's the executive, not Congress, and not other Republicans.
For the others, the laws, he also had a veto - which he used when he wanted to, for example to facilitate the mass slaughter in Yemen. He didn't feel it necessary to use it to defend Russia.

Here's a writeup from his domestic foes (liberals and their neocon allies) praising his hawkish policy: https://www.npr.org/2018/07/20/630659379/is-trump-the-toughest-ever-on-russia

Here's a writeup from his domestic friends also praising his hawkish policy: https://thehill.com/opinion/white-h...er-on-russia-in-18-months-than-obama-in-eight

Do you seriously think Putin cared about any of these "actions"? It's all stuff that nibbles at the edges but doesn't really hurt Putin himself. Here's what an actual neo-con thought, a member of the administration who knew the inner workings around the actions you cite:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...cQFnoECAMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1I_4k7RPabRXRYTcZDdgO_

Last edited:
Do you seriously think Putin cared about any of these "actions"? It's all stuff that nibbles at the edges but doesn't really hurt Putin himself. Here's what an actual neo-con thought, a member of the administration who knew the inner workings around the actions you cite: https://www.businessinsider.com/bob-woodward-book-dan-coats-putin-trump-blackmail-2020-9?amp&ved=2ahUKEwjHlej3ku31AhU-FTQIHZpdAYUQFnoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1I_4k7RPabRXRYTcZDdgO_
Link doesn't work.

Again, all of these happened after he was pressured by others to take action, not because he himself wanted to. His primary policy on Putin was to build better relations with him by not pushing back against Russian election interference narratives and by extension, also pushing back against the need to sanction Putin for anything because it would infer a tacit admission that Trump’s own election was illegitimate.

This idea that he was tough on Russia was, and continued to be, a Maga and RNC talking point to dilute widely accepted criticisms that Trump was in Putin’s back pocket.

Last edited: