Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fortunately, Biden and NATO have front loaded Ukraine with plenty of resources to mitigate Trump inevitably barging in and demanding a ceasefire on Putin's terms. Putting the $300b in frozen assets to work will also be help defray any stupidity from Trump.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms How is the current temperature among the russian population and how strong is the support for the war and/or Putin?
It’s hard to say as there aren’t any reliable (and independent) social analysis on the matter. I live in a bubble where everyone is strongly against it but it’s not a representative group.

Going just by my personal experience I don’t think that many actively support the war, most people try to go by as if it wasn’t happening at all — and it’s a viewpoint that is actively encouraged by the actions of the government. But this apathetic majority allows Putin to do what he wants.

As for the support of Putin, it’s more complicated. The most ludicrous yet popular opinion that I’ve heard a lot during the election was “we have a war and only a strong leader like Putin can end it, so we must vote for him”… completely missing the point that it was Putin who started it.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
It’s hard to say as there aren’t any reliable (and independent) social analysis on the matter. I live in a bubble where everyone is strongly against it but it’s not a representative group.

Going just by my personal experience I don’t think that many actively support the war, most people try to go by as if it wasn’t happening at all — and it’s a viewpoint that is actively encouraged by the actions of the government. But this apathetic majority allows Putin to do what he wants.

As for the support of Putin, it’s more complicated. The most ludicrous yet popular opinion that I’ve heard a lot during the election was “we have a war and only a strong leader like Putin can end it, so we must vote for him”… completely missing the point that it was Putin who started it.
As it always is the case.

It's not ludicrous at all, wars tend to regroup the population around the current leader, especially when he appears to be "strong", no matter how wretched the latter is. Russia isn't the first and certainly not the last country to experience it. It will take a catastrophic defeat on the battlefield to decisively shift the opinion.

Thanks a lot for the swift reply.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Note, it's not that they've established hard evidence for this 120,000 figure but it's estimated through a prediction model with data from Russia's National Probate Registry. As for actual confirmed deaths, that figure currently stands at about 56,600 killed and is derived from open sources like obituaries.

120,000 dead and counting: a new estimate from Meduza and Mediazona shows the rate of Russian military deaths in Ukraine is only growing
According to our latest calculations, as of the end of June, approximately 120,000 Russian servicemen have died in the war since 2022, but the real number could be as high as 140,000.
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2024/0...an-military-deaths-in-ukraine-is-only-growing

Simbo

Large missile attack arrived in Kyiv and other cities in the last hour, on eve of this next 'nato peace summit'.

Looks like multiple have got through. Kyiv children's hospital has been hit.