Russian invasion of Ukraine | Fewer tweets, more discussion

Wow, that’s quite bullish from GK. I’m not sure I agree on everything though. As harsh as it sounds, Biden’s responsibility is to to Americans. He has a duty to do everything he can to avoid US soldiers dying in Ukraine.

I think they’ll still join but it could easily be in 10 or 20 years in a post-Putin scenario. Hopefully sooner.

No one is asking for US soldiers to die in Ukraine. All Ukraine asks for is to stop the delay and blockade of strong weapons, which would allow Ukraine to end this war sooner. But many western leaders still fear to corner Putin. As long as only one side fears the escalation, Putin will remain confident. Did you ever hear one statement out of Russia fearing a confrontation with NATO? No, they even threaten it on a daily basis. If you fear something and your opponent does not, you have a weaker position to begin with.
Germany for example started their help by sending helmets! Now Ukraine needs to wait for F-16s until 2024. It's the same cycle over and over again. First the rejection, then discussions, then the acceptance, then the training and at last the delivery half a year later than it could have been.
And Ukraine is paying for the delays with thousands of lives.

“No one is asking for US soldiers to die in Ukraine”

But that’s my point re Nato membership. It’s accepting implicit risk that the US might find itself in that situation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for it, but I think it’s naive to suggest that there are no risks and considerations attached.

This says it was posted 2 hours ago so not sure if its been posted here. How does this change the outlook on the current war?

It doesn't change anything. There are still conditions that needs to be met. They've simply been reduced from before. The war ending being one of them, so I wouldn't expect Ukraine to join NATO to some time.

The biggest news from this speech is NATO partnering with the Indo-Pacific, which is suggestive it may one day expand to Japan, S. Korea, Australia and NZ.

Once Russia is taken off the table, the focus will turn to China.

Not everyone agreeing with Kasparov. For what's it worth, I mysel don't agree with Kasparovs style of rhetoric.

Not everyone agreeing with Kasparov. For what's it worth, I mysel don't agree with Kasparovs style of rhetoric.

He's not wrong in that the US is deliberately blocking Ukraine's path because they don't think Ukraine is ready for ascension based on the usual criteria (even if they reduce the criteria to help Ukraine join faster). Fundamentally, NATO ascension shouldn't be used as a way to stop ongoing wars. Rather it should be used during peace time to build a coalition that prevents them

“No one is asking for US soldiers to die in Ukraine”

But that’s my point re Nato membership. It’s accepting implicit risk that the US might find itself in that situation. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for it, but I think it’s naive to suggest that there are no risks and considerations attached.

Russia cannot even cope with Ukraine! Why do you mention Americans fighting in Ukraine? It has nothing to do with anything.

The problem is that US and NATO are too slow in providing Ukraine with the weapons they need to win this war. They asked for F-16s one year and a half ago. Why did NATO need 1.5 years to start doing something about it? Why NATO could not start training Ukranian pilots in March 2022? That's the question.

Ukrainians never asked us to send them soldiers. They asked us to send them weapons. We said yes, but we are too slow to implement it. The slower we are the more Ukrainians will die, so ... we are indirectly responsible for some deaths of our allies.

What would help is that giant aircraft carrier they built for the Russians, then didn't give to them after the 2014 invasion.
It was actually 2 helicopter carriers and they flogged them to Egypt

You must be mistaken. Those 2 helicopter carriers in Egyptian military service are from the French Mistral-class.
Exactly, and they were originally built for Russia. France then sold them to Egypt after Russia started its attacks on Ukraine in 2014.

Russia cannot even cope with Ukraine! Why do you mention Americans fighting in Ukraine? It has nothing to do with anything.

The problem is that US and NATO are too slow in providing Ukraine with the weapons they need to win this war. They asked for F-16s one year and a half ago. Why did NATO need 1.5 years to start doing something about it? Why NATO could not start training Ukranian pilots in March 2022? That's the question.

Ukrainians never asked us to send them soldiers. They asked us to send them weapons. We said yes, but we are too slow to implement it. The slower we are the more Ukrainians will die, so ... we are indirectly responsible for some deaths of our allies.

NATO was never obliged to subsidize weopons to Ukraine. They did so out of self interest to thwart Putin (their number one adversary) without actually fighting on the ground.

Wow, that’s quite bullish from GK. I’m not sure I agree on everything though. As harsh as it sounds, Biden’s responsibility is to to Americans. He has a duty to do everything he can to avoid US soldiers dying in Ukraine.

I think they’ll still join but it could easily be in 10 or 20 years in a post-Putin scenario. Hopefully sooner.

That's how i feel. I don't think Ukraine should be part of Nato during this war or without meeting the requirements, but too many Nato countries have been dragging their heels when it comes to sending Ukraine the weapons they need to win the war in fear of escalation instead its a ww1 meatgrinder

What happened to Prigozhin?

Perhaps Prigozhin managed to go to South America, have plastic surgery, hair transplantation, and now lives as a billionaire somewhere in the Bahamas?

I think if Putin had managed to capture or kill him, we'd already know. Putin would probably put him on a display, to demonstrate what happens when someone crosses him.

Perhaps Prigozhin managed to go to South America, have plastic surgery, hair transplantation, and now lives as a billionaire somewhere in the Bahamas?

I think if Putin had managed to capture or kill him, we'd already know. Putin would probably put him on a display, to demonstrate what happens when someone crosses him.
Prigozhin went back to FSB in St Pete to collect his rifles, so I am pretty certain windowing him is not planned for now.

He doesn't need to display him to the public. He can do it internally to his inner circle, high ranks of intelligence, police and army. That should be enough.

[
It was actually 2 helicopter carriers and they flogged them to Egypt
Acctually they are called amphibious assault ships. They are intended as naval platforms from where to conduct amphibious landings of ground forces using hellicopters and roll-on/roll-off type landind crafts.
They can transport and support a battalion of up to 40 tanks or a combined mechanized force of up to 70 vehicles and 450 soldiers.

But just like you and others have pointed out both ships that where being built for the Russian navy has been sold to Egypt.

Nothing. They’ve even met on the 29th of June apparently.

Never seen such a weapon system in operation before…
First time I have seen one mounted on an IFV, they are normally mounted on trucks like the ZIL-131.

1435169817_umz-1.jpg

Funny how the cluster munition caused a massive debate and was seen as very controversial when weapon sytems like these are far worse for civilians. When mass mining an area with anti-personnel mines like this 100% of the the explosives are left behind and they are all designed to explode when touched. Cluster munitions only leave behind a small percentage of their bomblets and are harder to trigger compared to anti-personnel mines.