Round of 16 | France vs Belgium | Portugal vs Slovenia

Amazing that in 19 career knock out games at the euros and World Cup, Ronaldo has 3 goals and no assists.

He’s scored so many goals for Portugal, but only two that actually really mattered in big games. 2004 vs Netherlands Euro semi in a 2-1 win, and 2012 vs Czech Rep. Euro QF in a 1-0 win. Even in 2016 when Portugal won the tournament he only scored 3 times. Twice against Hungary in the group phase, then nothing against Croatia (1-0 win), or Poland (win on pens), one of the two against Wales in the semi (2-0), and then only played 25 mins of the final.

I mention it because on US television there’s been this endless narrative about Ronaldo and what a big game player he is and that he’s the key man for Portugal, but it ignores that his big tournament record in knockout games is pretty abysmal. They back it up with the “he led them to victory in 2016”, when he really didn’t. It was a great team effort, and certainly wasn’t achieved by the brilliance of his individual performances.

It’s funny how fame and its adulation can rewrite history.

How about giving someone a go who actually has a chance of hitting the target?

france's record is extraordinary. But for pens they would have another two WC's since '06. Also got to the final of euro '16. For a country who's national sport might not even be football? They sure figured out how to have a production line of great players. Their record embarrasses england that is for sure.

They have a very very old tradition in the game, and some extraiordinary players since day one, from Fontaine, Kopa, to Platini and cia...the thing is that even if Rugby might have a couple of fans more, they still have been more "successful" in WCs in football...being silly and joking of course, the French are just French, they like to play the unattached even if they care a lot more than they show :).

For instance Zizou after 98 became for many the best French ever, while I still would see Platini above him, yet this last one didn't brought the WC. In any case any country must aspire to play finals and actually those speak volume of how countries keep themselves relevant producing players.

Slightly hot take incoming, but I do wish martinez was still everton coach. Him over the current manager all day long.

And Slovenia breathe a sigh of relief as Ronaldo steps up.

When was the last time he scored a free kick, gotta be going on 5 years now

"The goalkeeper got nowhere near to it".

Am I watching a different game?

Why is our first touch so crap

Šeško playing like crap again.

Chelsea dodged a bullet here.

Cron is becoming more and more of a liability as the tournament goes on. Desperately needs to get his goal so he can chill out a bit.

Never seen a player so frustrated :lol: How’s he missing then headers

Nah this is pure entertainment :lol:

Ronaldo raging. Going to shit himself by accident if he's not careful.

I hope Ronaldo just scores so he finally has his fecking goal and they can start playing football.

Ronaldo going Homelander after missing that header