Round of 16 | England vs Slovakia | Spain vs Georgia

Tripper and Foden on that left is just woeful. Why does he keep persisting with it? It’s just classic case of a manager out of ideas on his way out.

Most of our players are incredibly cowardly in possession. At least Palmer will take the ball and try and make something happen.

Guehi - quick yellow and then a bit lost when conceding.

Mainoo playing like the United player he is.

Foden and Saka, “best wingers in the league”, well…

Didn't he score a million goals last season?

Bundesliga, though.

He finished third with Bayern Munich. Third! :lol: Even funnier when you consider they won the league 11 seasons in a row until he arrived. The guy is jinxed.

It's absolutely everywhere mate. The pub, social media, redcafe. Southgate has feck all vocal defenders relative to the current mood which is overwhelmingly anti him. And with very obviously good reason.

I know mate, but there still are defenders.

I'm perhaps talking more in general, after that final and between then and now it's been "the best manager since 66!" And all that. People have given him far too much backing and protection, turned an eye to this and what he is.

Even that prick Neville who is now ranting has done nothing but defend him of late. People still do.

I'm just glad most have finally seen what has been said for 9 years now. He's a coward, and worse still it really looks like he has finally lost the players.

Southgate might be a problem, but he’s not the only problem. Our players look better for their clubs because of who they play with. It’s a team game.

Mainoo has been our best player anyway.

I really hope people are starting to realise how good Mainoo already is. It was a surprise to me when I said he should starting instead of Trent and while many agreed Trent shouldn’t be starting in cm they were indifferent whether it was Mainoo, Gallagher or another. For me Mainoo is head and shoulders above the others in regards to what he offers

I fear England need a Xhaka more than they do a Mainoo. Rice is useless passing forward and better suited to closing passing lanes and being an extra body in the attacking phase.

A deep passer means they can push up a bit more and not rely so much on Bellingham to connect their midfield to attack. Mainoo for his confidence on the ball hasn't really played through Slovakian defensive lines yet.

I don't understand what Bellingham's position is supposed to be. Is he a second striker? Is he a floating ten? In which case, why does he never collect the ball?

He looks like he is hiding. At least Mainoo is always making himself available.

This has been a fantastic tournament for United. The chances of ever seeing Southgate managing us now is near zero.

Mainoo started well but he’s gone into his shell. Not taking responsibility.
He's got the most touches from the midfield and attack. The attack just doesn't click or suit each other and the fullbacks are poor.

Southgate is just dumb though and doesn't understand his players and what they need. You have to pick players who suit each other. Kane likes dropping deep. That means you want wide players who will run in behind, and why Rashford and Sterling have always played better with Kane than any of Grealish, Foden or Sancho. Yet he left Rashford at home. He didn't bring back a single left back who is fit, and is playing a past it right back at left back to also cut in and congest things further.

When nothing to lose, I'd have Watkins on, with Kane dropping deep replacing Belingham.

You'd be 4-0 down without Rice. He's single-handedly kept you in the game in the first half hour where your defensive transition amounted to "Either Rice saves us or they're 1vs1 with Pickford"
He's been crap, even defensively where he's usually very solid, he's been out of position. We have been run through too easily. On the ball he's been poor.

England need more risk takers on the pitch. Trent for Walker. Palmer on, Gordon on.

Eze and Palmer on please. We need some confidence in the final third.

How in God's name do people still want Kane on the pitch???

Maybe not at half time, but Trent will probably be on for Mainoo I think.

I'll probably cut it off if that happens. If Mainoo gets subbed for anyone it should be Wharton or at worst another attacker in desperation mode

Good point by Neville as well. Trent- Alexander is bad defensively but seemingly so is Walker in this team so feck Walker off too.

What is this Trent glazing? I've never got this Trent hype, bang average defender who can put in good crosses.

You'd be 4-0 down without Rice. He's single-handedly kept you in the game in the first half hour where your defensive transition amounted to "Either Rice saves us or they're 1vs1 with Pickford"
Not necessarily, there would be another body where Declan Rice has been stood, hasn't done anything miraculous

He might be able to pass the football forward to an England shirt as well.

They’ve done nothing and our attack is limp. Genuinely speaking, I welcome your suggestion/criticism to my comment. What would you do?

Attack? String some positive passes together? Kane literally had to drop back and help the midfield out ffs

Yes Southgate is a horrible manager, but these lot play like they don't even want to be there. They should be ashamed of themselves. I hate it for you guys and I want England to go through but I love seeing Stones and Foden put on an absolute disasterclass like today.