Round of 16 | England vs Slovakia | Spain vs Georgia

There’s literally no English player on the pitch that I like. And while I have never been a fan of England, I liked some of their players, like Beckham, Scholes, the Neville’s, Ferdinand, Brown, etc.
Mainoo is on the pitch.

Who else is going to collect the ball? He needs to drop deep.
Anybody else but definitely not Mainoo. Player playing so deep also needs to be aware of threats and react sharply. Mainoo is not that man. Other team can get past him easily.

Why is Kane so deep there? Did they not learn from when Rooney was doing it for England? Yes he’s good at it but there’s nothing up top to capitalise on it, when he wins it back.

Ref is a right bellend

There’s literally no English player on the pitch that I like. And while I have never been a fan of England, I liked some of their players, like Beckham, Scholes, the Neville’s, Ferdinand, Brown, etc.

Errr….

Goos news for England is Jude looks much better today

I'd keep this shape but get Foden out for Palmer and TAA in for Saka. The latter stops the ball too much and you need a right footed player there given you already have the problem of Trippier on the other side

Might actually be a good idea to take off Trippier for Gordon actually

Mainoo started well but he’s gone into his shell. Not taking responsibility.
Not sure I’d want to take responsibility for this tbf, it’s like taking responsibility for setting fire to your pet dog

I used to be big England fan as a child, now much less so, but still love Mainoo and quite like guys like Trippier or Bellingham

Absolutely it should. He's made them this way.

He raised them up at the first tournament, then blew the final (which was 100% him and I won't have it otherwise) and since then he's held them back and droned this into them.

It's the English mentality through and through to pass the buck, but it stops at him surely.
I don't think have ever been this bad under Southgate, they've certainly regressed, even at an individual level. These 11 players should be playing better than this regardless of who the manager is.

Kobbie has been playing with such a low intensity so far, is it nerves? Very poor look imo, at least Rice and Jude are getting on the ball and making runs.

Very bad from Guehi during those two corner kicks for England.. Why the hell do you block the opponent GK like that? It's clear foul

Kane and Bellingham does not work in 4-2-3-1. Bellingham is a central midfielder who just had a freak goalscoring season and not a creative attacking midfielder. England can do one of 2 things:

1. Drop Bellingham deeper, switch to 4-3-3 and bench Foden for Palmer/Gordon.

2. Stick with 4-2-3-1 but play Foden central, move Bellingham to play alongside Rice and play Palmer/Gordon wide left.

There's no energy about England, far too pedestrian in the midfield. Far too conservative. You need to up the tempo and take some risks. Get some movement.

Yeah that'll solve the problem of us spending most of the half passing it around our backline and back to Pickford. Strange post.

We need movement. Kane is too static and is even coming short for the ball whereas we need somebody to run behind, like Slovakia are doing and like how they scored their goal. We're playing in front of Slovakia and it's too easy for them to contain us. We're too narrow.

The instruction also needs to be to move the ball quicker, and that goes for the centre backs, too. Everybody is being too slow and there's very little movement all round.

Front three dreadful again

Very true and it's amplified by the bad system. Two left footed players either wing, none run off the ball and then you have Kane who understandably has no mobility.

Southgate took the wrong players for the system he's playing