Rosenborg vs Manchester United (Mon 15th July, 17:00 UK time)

He's the least exciting of our midfielders in that selection, the most bare bones technique, sideways passing and running midfielder. He's the most defensive of the youngsters there but isnt that good at it.

Scanlon has some good final balls especially his crossing, Jack Fletcher has much better passing range and more technical skill and Mather has the technical skills to go past players and bend the ball in the top corner or play a teammate in. Collyer looks worse than midfielders who have left us to play in League 1 like Joe Rothwell. Devaney, Curley and McAllister all look better in those deeper midfield roles than him. So yeah... He was rated when we signed him but doesnt look like he's improved from when he left their under 18s. Not convincing at under 21 level.
That’s also been my impression of him but ETH’s post match exchange with him after the FA cup final was very much what he did with Kobbie the year before, makes me think that he’s the dark horse for this year. He seems to be highly rated by coaches ever since his Brighton days, so maybe we’re missing something that they can see?

Will Fish did nothing at Hibs to suggest he was a Manchester United player. In fact, he struggled at times to suggest he was a Hibs player.

Excited for this preseason. I think that having the Community Shield against City this season will hopefully focus minds a bit earlier and we won’t see the sluggish start to the PL campaign that we have for the last two years

You'll all be knackered by the time the season begins!
It's our M.O. Tough pre-season then looking tired in August but then looking tired in December and looking extremely tired in May. Works like a charm.

CONFIRMED TRAVELLING SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS

Elyh Harrison
Dermot Mee
Radek Vitek

DEFENDERS
Harry Amass
Sonny Aljofree
Rhys Bennett
Jonny Evans
Will Fish
Louis Jackson
Sam Murray
Habeeb Ogunneye
Maximillian Oyedele
Aaron Wan-Bissaka

MIDFIELDERS
Casemiro
Toby Collyer
Jack Fletcher
Hannibal
Samuel Mather
Mason Mount
James Scanlon
Ethan Williams

FORWARDS
Ethan Ennis
Joe Hugill
Marcus Rashford
Ethan Wheatley

Interesting that Onana, Amad, Hojlund, Lindelof, Antony, Gore, and from youngsters McAllister, Lacey are not in the squad. I guess injuries for some of them are reason, not sure for all.
Wow. That’s a very youthful squad.

Would be expecting to see a few more first teams players at those prices!

It's no surprise United keep coming back here every year. Short travel and 20k+ nutcases willing to pay on average £150 to watch a squad full of no names. The ultimate cash cow, especially when you also factor in PL subscription costing almost £100 when rest of Europe pay a fraction of that.

Excited for this preseason. I think that having the Community Shield against City this season will hopefully focus minds a bit earlier and we won’t see the sluggish start to the PL campaign that we have for the last two years
Good point that. Didn’t even think of that.

We can’t start as badly as last season. It was laughable how far off it we looked

Sensible squad selection, that. Evans to babysit the kids and we can show Casemiro what life in an oil state might be like.

Our pre-season schedules never make sense to me. Just an excuse for the club to make money while our players have to endure poor preparation for the season ahead. We always start slowly for a reason.

Our pre-season schedules never make sense to me. Just an excuse for the club to make money while our players have to endure poor preparation for the season ahead. We always start slowly for a reason.
Don't all the big clubs have similar pre-seasons to us nowadays? They all seem to travel to foreign countries for most of their games - usually ones with a big market like the US.

Just checked City and Liverpool and they've got 4 and 3 games in the US respectively, similar to us. Liverpool then come back for a home friendly v Sevilla, similar to us last season v Lens (we'll presumably see the Community Shield match as this seasons equivalent).

The difference seems to be the more high profile friendlies for our youth / squad players - such as the trips to Norway and the Wrexham friendly in the US. But I doubt they effect our start to the season.

Team news confirmed: Rosenborg v United
Vitek
Wan-Bissaka
Evans
Fish
Murray
Casemiro (c)
Hannibal
Rashford
Mount
Williams
Wheatley

Substitutes: Harrison, Mee, Aljofree, Amass, Bennett, Jackson, Ogunneye, Collyer, J. Fletcher, Mather, Oyedele, Scanlon, Ennis, Hugill.

Was hoping that Amass would start considering our issues at LB, don't know much about Murray - Does anybody else?

Still debating with myself on whether to get MUTV for a month to try and follow preseason. The US kick off times are horrible though.