Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread would be a goldmine for someone who wants to make a psychological study about delusional people...

Why?? Because I defended Cristiano. I will always be behind United legends. He didn't launch a grenade into the crowd, just walked off the pitch a few mins early. I am confident he'll get some game time and score a few important goals and leave in the summer on good grounds being able to say goodbye to the fans and the club so he can have the right ending to a very special career, he still has something to offer. Ronaldo hattrick is coming tonight :)

I don’t mean to upset anyone but the thing most painful to watch or hear was the exact horrible words people used to describe him. Man does not deserve that and never will he did enough for the game & made many fall in love with this sport. And for that, I'm forever thankful to him. Ronaldo is the Jordan of football an extremely motivated, driven and at times selfish and egotistical superstar who has done a lot of winning, but stepped on a lot of toes.

The thing is, and hear me out here, Ronaldo hasn't yet disappointed a manager that consistently bet in him and kept him on the pitch, it eventually always payed off. Now what Ten Hag did, although he surely had his reasons given how the season started, is to bench him before giving him the chance of the day. And yes he starts him now and then in shitty matches most players are switched of at. Against Omonia for example half the players were digesting their redbull rather than trying and Ronaldo was frustrated by minute 15. Ronaldo hasn't gotten the chance to actually prove himself and the playtime he gets is rather for pity than for trust, and this shows, this doesn't give him the confidence to play on and honestly to do this rather sell him before season starts and therefore Ten Hag is basically ending his career for him. I'm not discrediting anything anyone said here, most of it is true, but from the opposite side of the spectrum there's also a point to be made that Man Utd/Ten Hag are distrusting a player before he fails the club just assuming he will. And again we're back to a what came first, Ronaldo's behaviour at preseason or Ten Hag letting him know he would play the cup matches mostly regardless of what he did to change that.

Cristiano has the highest number of assists compared with the players that I have mentioned (Iniesta, Xavi, Modric). 1. Messi 377 assists, 2. Thomas Muller 292, 3. Luis Suarez 283, 4. di Maria 272, 5. Ronaldo 265

1 goal every 6 games. But you have to count the minutes he's played also. If he would play 70+ min a game he would score more often. Ronaldo scored 18 goals in the worse utd side in history. Talking about his goal record this season compare the amount of clear chances he's had and how many chance he's had in total compared to Rashford, Sancho and Anthony. Yes Ronaldo should not have walked off and Ten Hag is right to punish him and you have to back the manager but against a low block he is the only striker utd have that is capable of playing against a low block with a good service. Rashford is not able to do this only Martial is close and he is permanently injured at the moment.

Yes, a respected legend. He contributed a lot to the success of the team while he was here and won multiple trophies. He is a Manchester United legend without any shred of doubt.

Nope in the post I quoted you said he had the 2nd highest numbers of assists in history only after Messi. Then you also have to factor in the assist numbers of players like Pelé, puskas and players from the premodern era in general.

Last edited:
I think an exception can be made for one of the greatest to ever do it, that's how the game goes. Do you think there weren't exceptions with Best, Cantona, Messi, Maradona, Pelé..etc? The GOATs always get a preferential treatment, because they've already proven they are the best. Even Sir Alex was more lenient with Cantona or Cristiano than with others. He saw the desire, he saw the talent, so he knew he's going to cry and throw a tantrum every once in a while. It's the result of wanting to always play and wanting to always be the best. But that's the attitude you want. We need to recognize this selfish behaviour and attitude is a large component of what made him the GOAT. Scholes literally refused to play a game for us because he was in a mood, i dont remember anyone saying sod all to him about it.....just putting this out there...

I don't know what you're annoyed about. His punishment fit the crime. Time to move on. Scholes was dropped for the same thing when he did it.

I don't know what you're annoyed about. His punishment fit the crime. Time to move on. Scholes was dropped for the same thing when he did it.
To see Ronaldo getting so much criticism and ridicule lately really annoys me. People forget he lost a child this year. Give him a break, playing football may be the only thing keeping him going. The punishment already handed out by Ten Hag is fair and as you said its time to move on.

He’s back to training with the first team and I really hope he starts the game against Sheriff. I know what Rashford can do, I have seen him do it for 7 years. Rashford will only get chances against teams that play a high pressing game thereby leaving lots of space behind them. However where the opposition adopt a similar counter attacking game plan, Rashford has nowhere to go and gets lost amongst the defenders. He has the footballing brain of a Walcott and that is his undoing. Rashford on the left, Ronaldo upfront and Sancho on the bench. United 3 - 0 Sheriff. Ronaldo hattrick :)

I think an exception can be made for one of the greatest to ever do it, that's how the game goes. Do you think there weren't exceptions with Best, Cantona, Messi, Maradona, Pelé..etc? The GOATs always get a preferential treatment, because they've already proven they are the best. Even Sir Alex was more lenient with Cantona or Cristiano than with others. He saw the desire, he saw the talent, so he knew he's going to cry and throw a tantrum every once in a while. It's the result of wanting to always play and wanting to always be the best. But that's the attitude you want. We need to recognize this selfish behaviour and attitude is a large component of what made him the GOAT. Scholes literally refused to play a game for us because he was in a mood, i dont remember anyone saying sod all to him about it.....just putting this out there...
I think you mix up the words are and were here, buddy. Ronaldo has proven quite thouroughly that he isn't the best for United now. Both on and off the pitch. Which ones of Best, Cantona, Messi, Maradona, Pelè etc. insisted on getting preferential treatment after turning 37 and suffering a heavy decline?

This thread would be a goldmine for someone who wants to make a psychological study about delusional people...
It's the (modern?) cult of celebrity. Turns people into illogical and irrational dumbasses. I've never understood why people have such strong personal attachments to famous people tbh. They aren't our friends or family, we don't know them in any deep and meaningful way, yet some people defend them as if it were their own mother being insulted. It's very odd behaviour

Sheesh, Ronaldo fans take delusion to another level. I hope Ten Hag puts a strong team out tonight to hopefully get the job done early but if the game is in the balance there is no way Ronaldo should come off the bench as we need a win here, this match is about United and not Ronaldo.

I can't wait to see the end of the Ronaldo saga and I think you're right, it's time to move on. However, I do think the Scholes comparison is a weak one. Scholes was 10 years younger than Ronaldo is now, still very much a senior player, but nowhere near as experienced as Ronaldo is now. Also, he didn't do it in front of an entire stadium in the full glare of the media. It's different. Scholes was also a far, far better player then than Ronaldo is now, it's night and day. Burying the hatchet with Scholes was well worth the next decade+ of service he gave us, with Ronaldo it's probably worth cooling it down in the hope he leaves at the first opportunity. There's also the matter of wages, that's Ronaldo's fault, that's ours for losing our heads and signing him in the first place, but, when you're on half a million a week you have to be setting an example.

It's the (modern?) cult of celebrity. Turns people into illogical and irrational dumbasses. I've never understood why people have such strong personal attachments to famous people tbh. They aren't our friends or family, we don't know them in any deep and meaningful way, yet some people defend them as if it were their own mother being insulted. It's very odd behaviour
It’s just your typical cult of personality in a different era, definitely a very old thing that’s no different from a king being able to do no wrong etc…

To see Ronaldo getting so much criticism and ridicule lately really annoys me. People forget he lost a child this year. Give him a break, playing football may be the only thing keeping him going. The punishment already handed out by Ten Hag is fair and as you said its time to move on.

He’s back to training with the first team and I really hope he starts the game against Sheriff. I know what Rashford can do, I have seen him do it for 7 years. Rashford will only get chances against teams that play a high pressing game thereby leaving lots of space behind them. However where the opposition adopt a similar counter attacking game plan, Rashford has nowhere to go and gets lost amongst the defenders. He has the footballing brain of a Walcott and that is his undoing. Rashford on the left, Ronaldo upfront and Sancho on the bench. United 3 - 0 Sheriff. Ronaldo hattrick :)
If he doesn't score against the mighty Sherriff, then what?

Why should an exception be made, just because Cristiano used to be one of the best? I agree with you that managers manage certain players differently. But what you seem to be ignoring, despite multiple posters pointing it out, is that, Cristiano simply isn't one of the best anymore. We're both statistically and observably, a worse team with him playing. We score fewer goals, we win fewer points, we run less and turn the ball over less with him in the team. We also (and this is just an opinion but I'm not the only one who thinks so), play much more attractive football when he's not on the field.

Yes, the great players or even just the complex characters often get managed differently. You mention Cantona. Cantona was managed differently when he was in his prime. Cantona wasn't 37 and failing to do the business on the field. Cristiano is. It's hard for him and his fans to accept because he was one of the greatest to ever lace a pair of boots. But the fact is, he isn't that player any more.

And you're right in your previous post. He was top scorer last year and he likely would have a couple more goals if he was playing 70+ minutes every week. But him scoring a couple more goals doesn't make United a better team if United aren't winning those games. Ten Hag has come into United under immense pressure to improve us. He got off to the worst possible start. He's watching Ronaldo every day in training. If he thought Ronaldo would give us a better chance of winning games, he'd be starting. But he's simply, and sadly, not up to it anymore.

I really don't understand anyone defending him. He's done nothing but disrespect the club since the beginning of the summer. He got punished and is back in training now. Who cares. ETH is the coach, he can play him when and how he wants.

It is.

The downfall of another, younger and English forward whose name rhymes with "Jason Breenhood" was worse for the club in the long term.
Tbf one of those was completely out of the club's control, while we actively chose to sign Ronaldo.

Is it an overstatement to say that Ronaldo has been the worst thing to happen to United over the last two years?
I think so. This whole 'but we finished second the year before" excuse and the idea that Ronaldo single-handedly caused our downfall is something I just don't buy. Quite a few of these players have been at the club for more than 5 years and have had previous catastrophic collapses under their belt under different managers and a very dodgy club structure and I'd hate for yet another shift of responsibility when Ronaldo leaves. I'm not saying he didn't play a part but it's too simple to put everything on him.

I'm feeling really positive about EtH as a boss and he seems a solid person in the way he conducts himself but I still have one or two doubts about the mentality of some of these older players. We shall see I guess.

If he doesn't score against the mighty Sherriff, then what?
Then it's the other 10 players who aren't motivated and not trying against a small side like he said in his above post. Shocking really, because it looks like the team is trying everything to give Ronaldo a goal every time he plays and he is scuffing them left right and center.

Then it's the other 10 players who aren't motivated and not trying against a small side like he said in his above post. Shocking really, because it looks like the team is trying everything to give Ronaldo a goal every time he plays and he is scuffing them left right and center.
Indeed. Can't wait to see the Ronaldo show again tonight.

He'd have got a longer rope if he was still a top player. He isn't so doesn't. See Keano and how he got fecked off and when

Another nothing half from him with the team punting long balls into the box most of the first half. Hate the way we play when he’s on the pitch.

It's quite remarkable how he's plummeted since last season. He barely looks good enough for this level anymore. Last season he was a shadow of the player he was but still useful and a good goalscorer. He looks like he's won a competition every time he plays now.

It will be February, and he will still be here with the class of 92 whining about him not starting games.

He’s doing himself no favours at all with that sort of first half performance.

He’s probably got the poorest first touch in the team.

That bit where Garnacho and him were 2 on 1 and he took the pass and just stumbled over the ball :lol:

Unless he’s adding the finishing touch to a move he is dire at the moment.

Botox man is struggling as usual. It's bugging how much crosses we waste trying to play him in.

That bit where Garnacho and him were 2 on 1 and he took the pass and just stumbled over the ball :lol:

Unless he’s adding the finishing touch to a move he is dire at the moment.
He just looks… old. Everything he does looks laboured. The first touch isn’t sharp, then the second is worse. Third he gets it under control, and then… tackled.

Botox man is struggling as usual. It's bugging how much crosses we waste trying to play him in.

We're seeing his decline happen rapidly in front of our eyes but come on the guy was amazing for us first time round.

He's weird but show him more respect, honestly I don't like this witch hunt. It will be over in January.

He’s doing himself no favours at all with that sort of first half performance.

He’s probably got the poorest first touch in the team.

He's had a poor first touch since we signed him. I commented on it even when he was banging the goals in early last season.

We're seeing his decline happen rapidly in front of our eyes but come on the guy was amazing for us first time round.

He's weird but show him more respect, honestly I don't like this witch hunt. It will be over in January.
Agreed, he was good before he missed pre season, walked out on the team early.

On second thought Botox man is not the right way as it's targeting his appearance. Apologies to anyone who would have found it offensive.

Surprised people seem to think there's a massive difference to last year.

You have to create him chances. That was the same last year, and the same this. Without that, he's not going to pick it up 30 yards out and beat players,.

He wasn't much better than this during much of the first half of last season. It is not inconceivable he could find some sharpness and rhythm if he started every game, but what would be the point of allowing him to, would much rather spend those mins on developing the future.

Comfortably the worst player on the pitch.

And that's including Sheriff players.

He wasn't much better than this during much of the first half of last season. It is not inconceivable he could find some sharpness and rhythm if he started every game, but what would be the point of allowing him to, would much rather spend those mins on developing the future.
Except the future isn't here because we have no young strikers. Just an injured Martial who hasn't shown he can do it for longer than a 2 month stretch and an out of position Rashford. I still can't get over how we have such little depth on a team this rich

Last edited:
Except the future isn't here because we have no young strikers. Just an injured Martial who hasn't shown he can do it for longer than a 2 month stretch and an out of position Ronaldo. I still can't get over how we have such little depth on a team this rich

The future is not just about who is playing as striker. It is about building a style of play and a fluency in attack that accommodating Ronaldo does not allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.