Ronaldo | Refused to come on as sub, left OT | Axed from squad for Chelsea & fined 2 weeks wages

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Sporting link is interesting and it would be a way to keep up his Champions League goal scoring ambitions, however there's no guarantee Sporting will even be in the CL in January so next year looks more likely.
Ruben Amorim is a very good new school, modern, progressive manager, I really struggle to see how even he would be able to implement him into his team. In fact, there were reports over the summer that he threatened to resign if they brought Ronaldo in.

Of course Ronaldo is bigger than him and probably the whole club so it would definitely be out of his hands and Sporting fans would ultimately love it but the fact of the matter is he'll go there and they'll quickly realise that they shouldn't have signed him.

Edit:
The reports of Amorim threatening to quit over the Ronaldo transfer is from this times article:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...und-himself-stuck-in-transfer-limbo-phwl7xtzl

Has he properly apologised yet? If not then feck no.

We should keep our standards and back ETH. Bending over will make him look weak and us a joke. You don't apologise you should not even be in the squad. I'd rather give that game time to some youngsters. Probably it'd be much better football wise too. He's been simply shit whenever he plays. Can't be worse.

He definitely apologized to the club/players. Wouldn't be back in training otherwise.

Whatever happened to him saying we would all know the truth by the end of September? That seemed to go quiet.
Cause the ‘truth’ is he thought he’d be able to manufacture a move then tell a story that showed him in a favourable light, unfortunately for him no one bit.

Must be dying a little inside every time Messi scores or assists in the CL.

Back when Klopp joined Liverpool, Sakho was a decent player and if i remember correctly, he was late on tour and his general attitude sucked. He was immediately shipped off, and there was a video on tour as well where Klopp was not amused at his behavior. Even though we cannot compare Sakho and Ronaldo as players, it shows that the manager setting the rules is big and absolutely needed if he wants to survive in a player power world. Klopp was relatively new to the club and set the bar high to adapt to his methods. Ten Hag is doing the same.

I think this is going to be a new trend in football, global superstars being that powerful they end up playing well beyond their sell by date. The evidence of the last few years is there to see, Ronaldo, Ibra and Ribery have all continued playing when I think in previous era's they'd have retired with more grace. I can see the likes of Mbappe and Haaland playing well into their 30's as well as the money and fame with elevate their ego enough to think they deserve to play based on what they've achieved previously in their careers.
I don't know if there's a trend, but either way I don't think it's necessary to judge players by whether they've retired long past their peak, or gracefully if you want to call it that. If anything we're likely seeing players stay at a decent level for longer due to improved sport science. And whether players will try to keep playing as long as possible due to the massive amounts of money in the game, or retire early because financially they can is another question that probably just depends on the individual. Not to mention you could argue that previous generations might have had much more of a reason to prolong their careers as they earned far less, and sooner or later would have to take another job whether in football as a manager, pundit or something else entirely, which isn't always the most graceful of transitions either.

Ronaldo might be causing more trouble now than his level and wages are worth for United, and I agree that's not the most graceful end to such a career but I wouldn't draw general conclusions from that. I doubt anyone would judge him if he played his career out the way Ibra or Ribery have. Apparently Ribery just retired a week ago, having played his last season for newly promoted Salernitana in Italy. That doesn't strike me as a power or ego motivated career trajectory. And Ibrahimovic might be known for his ego, but still playing for Milan winning their first Seria A title in more than decade, even in a reduced or mentor role, at his age is brilliant. Especially considering the last time they won it he was also there, that makes for a pretty decent story and career twilight.

I think some players just want to keep going, because why not. Dani Alves is still playing somewhere in Mexico, Iniesta in Japan, and there have been many examples in Italy for instance of players over the years playing past their peaks, eg Totti, Inzaghi, Toni, Del Piero etc

I hope Martial comes back asap and stays fit and we never have to play this shitheel narcissist again.

I think this is going to be a new trend in football, global superstars being that powerful they end up playing well beyond their sell by date. The evidence of the last few years is there to see, Ronaldo, Ibra and Ribery have all continued playing when I think in previous era's they'd have retired with more grace.
I don't think it's a trend, there is just Ronaldo demanding a spot at a CL team despite being past his best. Ibra still seems to be the best option when he plays, so there is no big discussion about him, and Ribery just doesn't fit in this same category, as he went to a much smaller club to keep on playing.

A lot of players moved to smaller clubs in their late days just because they wanted to keep playing, some just somewhere where it's nice or interesting (Ribery, Iniesta), others at their hometown club (Robben in Groningen, Podolski still playing for Gornik Zabrze)

Cristiano is one of those rare footballers that make the history books. I don't think it would be too hard for ETH not to provoke him by ordering him to warm up for half the game only to ridicule him in the final minute by asking him to come in. Also against City, 4-0 down and not letting him in shows that ETH is not treating him respectfully. That said, Ronaldo is also at fault with his reaction but yes some players are indeed entitled to have demands. 5 Ballon d'or, record top scorer at club and international level, the only Ballon d’or winner from the PL in my lifetime, and countless individual records does create a rightful sense of entitlement. Let alone the fact that it's in this United forward line that he demands some play time and not City.

Cristiano is a big part of our history and as a Utd fan I adore the man. The thing that baffles me about this whole saga is why didn’t they just let Ronaldo leave in the summer when he wanted??

I still think Cristiano can score goals for this team, especially given the current forward line which is struggling bigtime to make an impact. Defenders are snuffing them out too easily. Rashford and Sancho are still far from the mark of what they should be. Martial is always injured. I think the best utilisation for Cristiano would be to say to him we are going to play pressing football by default and you don't have the legs to do that anymore but we need you for a very dangerous plan B where when we are struggling to break a team down we completely switch to a long ball counter attack style of play with you getting on the end of balls against tired defenders. Cristiano would have scored the chances Rashford squandered against Newcastle and Chelsea.
You ain't a United fan.

I don't know if there's a trend, but either way I don't think it's necessary to judge players by whether they've retired long past their peak, or gracefully if you want to call it that. If anything we're likely seeing players stay at a decent level for longer due to improved sport science.
Yeah I think that might be true. Real Madrid haven't been in any hurry to replace Modric because he's still so good. Benezema and Lewandowski are 34 and are still banging in a lot of goals. Perhaps modern players are simply lasting longer due to the science and also being managed well.

I've never been concerned with the idea that we might sign Harry Kane at 30 either. I think he'll be another that will score bags of goals into his mid-thirties.

So allow Ronaldo to bully EtH into starting him then?

I'm not trying to say that or justify Ronaldo. The solution shouldn't be to pander to him and actually the issue has been dealt accordingly by the manager and United as an institution but someone does need to have a word with him.

I still think Cristiano can score goals for this team, especially given the current forward line which is struggling bigtime to make an impact. Defenders are snuffing them out too easily. Rashford and Sancho are still far from the mark of what they should be. Martial is always injured. I think the best utilisation for Cristiano would be to say to him we are going to play pressing football by default and you don't have the legs to do that anymore but we need you for a very dangerous plan B where when we are struggling to break a team down we completely switch to a long ball counter attack style of play with you getting on the end of balls against tired defenders. Cristiano would have scored the chances Rashford squandered against Newcastle and Chelsea.

Why hasn't he then? He's had plenty of opportunities

Let's take a step back for a moment. What Ronaldo did at the end of the Spurs match was completely out of order and he earned the sanction that was imposed on him. And it was out of order for him to completely skip out of summer training, although a bit of slack cut for him was understandable given that he did ask to leave the club. We should have let him go, although it may well have been the case that he was unwilling to take a pay cut and thus there literally was no club willing to take him on at his current wages and if that's all true the club did nothing wrong.

It's also true that Ronaldo has been given plenty of minutes so far this season, and it's also true that his goal production has fallen dramatically. However, it's also true that most of his chances were half-chances due a combination of poor final balls as well as a dip in self-creation with the scraps that he's had. He's tested the keeper on more than a few occasions, and one occasion produced a brilliant header that was disallowed for offside. Given Martial's absence, we need to play Ronaldo until Martial is able to walk onto the pitch.

However, it's also true that most of his chances were half-chances due a combination of poor final balls as well as a dip in self-creation with the scraps that he's had.
The scraps thing is totally self inflicted. Against Newcastle Rashford replaced him and quality opportunities resumed. Our chance creation falls because we bypass build up play to go direct to CR. He also demands it and can be seen signalling to players as far as the center circle to make low percentage lobs behind the last defender. Of course they always oblige him. He also rarely makes himself available as an outlet for combination plays in the final third. If the ball is in an advanced area he's running to the near or far post regardless what is happening or who is already there. He doesn't play ten hag's system and his stats therefore cannot benefit from it like others have. This is probably the bigger reason he doesn't seem fond of playing Ronaldo.
He's tested the keeper on more than a few occasions, and one occasion produced a brilliant header that was disallowed for offside. Given Martial's absence, we need to play Ronaldo until Martial is able to walk onto the pitch.
Yes that was against sociedad and it was because he was taking his sweet time strolling back from an offside position. When the initial cross came seven men were in the box, when the second cross came Ronaldo was the only one still there. It was another of his offsides brought about by strolling.

Last edited:
The scraps thing is totally self inflicted. Against Newcastle Rashford replaced him and quality opportunities resumed. Our chance creation falls because we bypass build up play to go direct to CR. He also demands it and can be seen signalling to players as far as the center circle to make low percentage lobs behind the last defender. Of course they always oblige him. He also rarely makes himself available as an outlet for combination plays in the final third. If the ball is in an advanced area he's running to the near or far post regardless what is happening or who is already there. He doesn't play ten hag's system and his stats therefore cannot benefit from it like others have. This is probably the bigger reason he doesn't seem fond of playing Ronaldo.

Yes that was against sociedad and it was because he was taking his sweet time strolling back from an offside position. When the initial cross came seven men were in the box, when the second cross came Ronaldo was the only one still there. It was another of his offsides brought about by strolling.

Ronaldo was at fault for being offside, but so have been many other strikers in the past. The header was still a thing of beauty that in a million years is beyond the capability of Elanga, Rashford and Martial.

If the insinuation is that we’ve resorted to route one football to feed the selfish Ronaldo, I’m not having that. We do feed him the ball, but after the culmination of buildup play and not at the sacrifice of it. We are poor at good chance creation. I’m sure someone will bring up our xG and while I don’t dismiss xG it really is a misleading stat that doesn’t sufficiently account for real world factors in play.

Where I am in total agreement with criticism of Ronaldo, though I haven’t seen anyone here dive into this point, is that his positioning prior to the shot isn’t as sharp as it was even last season. He’s frustrated and isn’t positioning his body properly before he receives the ball, making it harder on himself when he takes the shot. Once he’s freed from his frustration he’ll be able to think 2-3 steps ahead and covert on chances he’s missing now. Easier said than done to overcome frustration, but we’ve seen top players overcome frustration before and score in buckets. Wayne Rooney comes to mind, but he’s not alone.

Whatever happened to him saying we would all know the truth by the end of September? That seemed to go quiet.
Simple answer, he never got the move, so has had to hold his tongue, which no doubt when it's gone it be claiming all sorts of shit was done to him like when he claimed we were treating him like a slave.

Let's take a step back for a moment. What Ronaldo did at the end of the Spurs match was completely out of order and he earned the sanction that was imposed on him. And it was out of order for him to completely skip out of summer training, although a bit of slack cut for him was understandable given that he did ask to leave the club. We should have let him go, although it may well have been the case that he was unwilling to take a pay cut and thus there literally was no club willing to take him on at his current wages and if that's all true the club did nothing wrong.

It's also true that Ronaldo has been given plenty of minutes so far this season, and it's also true that his goal production has fallen dramatically. However, it's also true that most of his chances were half-chances due a combination of poor final balls as well as a dip in self-creation with the scraps that he's had. He's tested the keeper on more than a few occasions, and one occasion produced a brilliant header that was disallowed for offside. Given Martial's absence, we need to play Ronaldo until Martial is able to walk onto the pitch.
This nonsence has to stop. Rashford has been a lot better up top, he puts in double shift defensively compared to Ronaldo and he does pretty much everything better except movement in the box than Ronaldo these days.
Ronaldo's decisionmaking this season has been shocking.

He's taken 16 shots in the PL this season:
Only one of them has been a +0,10 xG shot and 10 of them has been 0,05xG or lower. He's hit the target with 4 shots total in the PL this season. Meaning he should be looking for a pass in stead of a shot and lost possession more often.

He's taken 22 shots in the EL this season:
3 on target....1 penalty goal.

1 goal in 37 shots this season total from open play......and he doesn't work for the team.

Shots on target this season:
Ronaldo: 18,9%
Rashford: 43,6%
Toney: 57,4%
Kane 41,1%
Jesus: 50%
Nunez: 37,2%
Haaland: 59,2

Shots/90
Ronaldo: 4,79
Rashford: 3,54
Toney: 2,19
Kane 3,33
Jesus: 3,53
Nunez: 6,41
Haaland: 3,73

Goals per shot and per shot on target:
Ronaldo: 0,03 and 0,14
Rashford: 0,13 and 0,29
Toney: 0,21 and 0,35
Kane 0,14 and 0,35
Jesus: 0,12 and 0,24
Nunez: 0,12 and 0,31
Haaland: 0,35 and 0,60

Non penalty goals/90:
Ronaldo: 0,13
Rashford: 0,45
Toney: 0,43
Kane: 0,48
Jesus: 0,42
Nunez: 0,75
Haaland: 1,31

Why on earth would we want Ronaldo on the pitch for us?

Is it an overstatement to say that Ronaldo has been the worst thing to happen to United over the last two years?

It is.

The downfall of another, younger and English forward whose name rhymes with "Jason Breenhood" was worse for the club in the long term.
Absolutely Jason was very promising and could have been a huge player for the club.
Ronaldo is right up there for me, a absolute shit transfer for the club. I feel a bit sorry for Maguire.

You ain't a United fan.
Why?? Because I defended Cristiano. I will always be behind United legends. He didn't launch a grenade into the crowd, just walked off the pitch a few mins early. I am confident he'll get some game time and score a few important goals and leave in the summer on good grounds being able to say goodbye to the fans and the club so he can have the right ending to a very special career, he still has something to offer. Ronaldo hattrick is coming tonight :)
I’m reading your posts with an open mind but…some of the things you write are just irritating.
I don’t mean to upset anyone but the thing most painful to watch or hear was the exact horrible words people used to describe him. Man does not deserve that and never will he did enough for the game & made many fall in love with this sport. And for that, I'm forever thankful to him. Ronaldo is the Jordan of football an extremely motivated, driven and at times selfish and egotistical superstar who has done a lot of winning, but stepped on a lot of toes.
Why hasn't he then? He's had plenty of opportunities
The thing is, and hear me out here, Ronaldo hasn't yet disappointed a manager that consistently bet in him and kept him on the pitch, it eventually always payed off. Now what Ten Hag did, although he surely had his reasons given how the season started, is to bench him before giving him the chance of the day. And yes he starts him now and then in shitty matches most players are switched of at. Against Omonia for example half the players were digesting their redbull rather than trying and Ronaldo was frustrated by minute 15. Ronaldo hasn't gotten the chance to actually prove himself and the playtime he gets is rather for pity than for trust, and this shows, this doesn't give him the confidence to play on and honestly to do this rather sell him before season starts and therefore Ten Hag is basically ending his career for him. I'm not discrediting anything anyone said here, most of it is true, but from the opposite side of the spectrum there's also a point to be made that Man Utd/Ten Hag are distrusting a player before he fails the club just assuming he will. And again we're back to a what came first, Ronaldo's behaviour at preseason or Ten Hag letting him know he would play the cup matches mostly regardless of what he did to change that.
Nope, not even close if we are talking all time.
Cristiano has the highest number of assists compared with the players that I have mentioned (Iniesta, Xavi, Modric). 1. Messi 377 assists, 2. Thomas Muller 292, 3. Luis Suarez 283, 4. di Maria 272, 5. Ronaldo 265
Reports said that no CL team wanted him and he don't want to move to other non CL team, also at his age, I don't think other one will pay his high salary except us. So the club (SAF?)was given everything to him because he was our history before. But, he didn't respected the club, his teammate, manager and the fans when he leave during the match
Also, I don't think he will accept any tactics who is not suit him. He is crying to ask a tactic suiting him to let Ronaldo himself be a starter every matches, no matter what result and performance of the team.
Then, he may score Rashford chances if he had that chance, but I doubt him t hat can he catches any Rashford chance to shoot the ball?His speed and ability is dropped significantly this season
1 goal every 6 games. But you have to count the minutes he's played also. If he would play 70+ min a game he would score more often. Ronaldo scored 18 goals in the worse utd side in history. Talking about his goal record this season compare the amount of clear chances he's had and how many chance he's had in total compared to Rashford, Sancho and Anthony. Yes Ronaldo should not have walked off and Ten Hag is right to punish him and you have to back the manager but against a low block he is the only striker utd have that is capable of playing against a low block with a good service. Rashford is not able to do this only Martial is close and he is permanently injured at the moment.
You wash your mouth out with that kind of language. They guy isn’t even considered a legend of the club by a healthy portion of fans let alone the greatest player! His development culminating in that amazing season was great to watch…but you don’t gain respect and legendary status within a club for being the best player in the world/history at another club!
He was never here because he loved the club and I would argue that his bond with Ferguson is stronger than any attachment to the club or it’s fans. By your logic Ronaldinho is in conversation for the greatest player to ever play for AC Milan.
I don’t even rate him as a legend. A legend gives everything for the badge, the fans and must embody the passion of the fans in some way on the pitch. Ronny is a legend of the game…that doesn’t automatically guarantee him respect at any club…you still have to earn and keep that. He hasn’t done anything in particular that would give him a pass on this or on his general poor performances since his return.
Yes, a respected legend. He contributed a lot to the success of the team while he was here and won multiple trophies. He is a Manchester United legend without any shred of doubt.

Last edited:
The most annoying thing about this ten Hag-Ronaldo thing is the way people keep saying Ronaldo has been 'disrespected' by ten Hag, like this is some sort of mob drama. Very odd.
I think an exception can be made for one of the greatest to ever do it, that's how the game goes. Do you think there weren't exceptions with Best, Cantona, Messi, Maradona, Pelé..etc? The GOATs always get a preferential treatment, because they've already proven they are the best. Even Sir Alex was more lenient with Cantona or Cristiano than with others. He saw the desire, he saw the talent, so he knew he's going to cry and throw a tantrum every once in a while. It's the result of wanting to always play and wanting to always be the best. But that's the attitude you want. We need to recognize this selfish behaviour and attitude is a large component of what made him the GOAT. Scholes literally refused to play a game for us because he was in a mood, i dont remember anyone saying sod all to him about it.....just putting this out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.