Ronaldo is the goat

ronaldo_2.jpg

He’s took it in his latter years.

4 CL titles in 5 years plus the Euro with Portugal has edged him ahead of Messi for me.

I never said Napoli are a shit team, but the difference between them and the best club side ever (Milan) was much bigger than between Barca and Real personnel wise. Ronaldo never played in a team which didn't have one of the Top2 squads in the world.
Milan were not the greatest club team at that time though, not in the league anyway. When Maradona was in Napoli 84-91, Milan won the title once in 7 years, getting beaten to the title by Verona, Sampdoria, Roma among others and finishing as low as 5th and 7th in the league. They were a very good CL team and revamped Serie A defending under Sacchi but they have nothing on Pep's Barcelona.

Best in the tournament so far, but Messi has still been the better player for me. Many of the ballon'dors Ronaldo won I would have given to Messi.

Superb and impressive player nonetheless.
Nah, probably Ron didn't deserve it on 2013, but then it should not have gone to Messi too. Instead, unfortunately for Ribery, it was Fifa Ballon D'Or instead of Ballon D'Or, otherwise he would have won it. The same can be said for 2010 which should have gone to Sneijder (in fact, he won the journalism vote which always bar 5 years decided the winner).

The others were quite straightforward.

Do you realize Di Stefano used to be mentioned as GOAT, or at least among top 3 or 4?

Yes he is still rated very highly. He just falls short in comparison to Maradona and Pele because of WCs. His club career is second to none.

Milan were not the greatest club team at that time though, not in the league anyway. When Maradona was in Napoli 84-91, Milan won the title once in 7 years, getting beaten to the title by Verona, Sampdoria, Roma among others and finishing as low as 5th and 7th in the league. They were a very good CL team and revamped Serie A defending under Sacchi but they have nothing on Pep's Barcelona.

Of course they were the greatest club team at that time, no other side won 3 CLs in 5 years at their time. They have nothing on Pep's Barcelona? Really? The best club defense ever, a very good midfield and the freaks van Basten and Gullit up front? Pep's Barca didn't even manage to win the CL for 2 years in a row.

No other side won as much in the CL as they did at their time, no other side was dominant in Serie A because it was a very strong and balanced league with many top players. Real Madrid won 4 CL titles since 2014 and no one is bothering to argue they were not the best side during the last 4 years just because they won just 1 league.

Nah, probably Ron didn't deserve it on 2013, but then it should not have gone to Messi too. Instead, unfortunately for Ribery, it was Fifa Ballon D'Or instead of Ballon D'Or, otherwise he would have won it. The same can be said for 2010 which should have gone to Sneijder (in fact, he won the journalism vote which always bar 5 years decided the winner).

The others were quite straightforward.

It's a very subjective discussion, and I have no problem with people who claim Ronaldo is the GOAT and I love watching him play. For me, Messi has been better because I value his close control and impact other places on the pitch, his vision and passing are sublime as well as his finishing and play inside the box. Not gonna comment on players I haven't seen like Maradonna, Pele, Di Stefano etc.

Anyway, the most important game is the next one, and the tournament is far from over, I'll enjoy Ronaldo and Messi and see what they can do.

Yes he is still rated very highly. He just falls short in comparison to Maradona and Pele because of WCs. His club career is second to none.

Of course they were the greatest club team at that time, no other side won 3 CLs in 5 years at their time. They have nothing on Pep's Barcelona? Really? The best club defense ever, a very good midfield and the freaks van Basten and Gullit up front? Pep's Barca didn't even manage to win the CL for 2 years in a row.

No other side won as much in the CL as they did at their time, no other side was dominant in Serie A because it was a very strong and balanced league with many top players. Real Madrid won 4 CL titles since 2014 and no one is bothering to argue they were not the best side during the last 4 years just because they won just 1 league.
As I mentioned they were not in the league and thats where you are comparing with Maradona's Napoli right ? You can point to their great players as much as you want, they flattered to deceive in league. Its pretty much impossible to claim a team to be the greatest when its finishing in 5th & 7th places in their own league. And what do you mean by no other side had win 3 CLs, Real had done it hadn't they ? Or do you mean when they were winning nobody else was winning at the same time, which makes no sense.

As I mentioned they were not in the league and thats where you are comparing with Maradona's Napoli right ? You can point to their great players as much as you want, they flattered to deceive in league. Its pretty much impossible to claim a team to be the greatest when its finishing in 5th & 7th places in their own league. And what do you mean by no other side had win 3 CLs, Real had done it hadn't they ? Or do you mean when they were winning nobody else was winning at the same time, which makes no sense.

Yes if Milan wasn't the best team in the world in the late 80s, I am curious to know who is?

This time last World Cup, Messi was scoring game winning goals in the group stages, whereas Cristiano failed to get out of his group, losing out to the USA (scoring only 1 goal in the meaningless final game). He's played a hell of a tournament thus far, but if he fails to win the WC, it'll be all for naught (as the hype will normalize, and these matches will be seen as good performances in a tournament where he ultimately failed to get the job done and bring home the prize) just like it was for Messi in 2014.

It seems that the fascination with GOATs in sport (which is ultimately a pointless and futile debate, and strictly for fans and pundits with nothing better to do or talk about since there will never be unanimous agreement) has taken on a life of its own in this current social media age (especially amongst the younger generation). The landscape in sports shifts quickly nowadays, so I'd say it's premature to call either the GOAT when their careers aren't even finished.

GOATS have very little fat. Cristiano Ronaldo is unconventional among his species in that he favours low fat meat over the usual fatty food his species mostly feeds on

No, he is not. But he is a great shout for the greatest goalscorer of all times. The guy just knows how to score no matter how mediocre his team is.

I remember people mocking Messi in 2014 for scoring his game winners against Bosnia or Iran.

Yes if Milan wasn't the best team in the world in the late 80s, I am curious to know who is?
There was not a single best side in the world in all the years, they were different best sides in different years. You are taking it from CLs perspective only. Do you think Chelsea 2011 or Liverpool 2004 were the best sides in the world.

Anyway thats not even the point, you are claiming them as the greatest club sides of all time and Maradona's big accomplishment is beating them to Serie A title. Which is just not right, Milan only won once in Maradona's time, you would think Verona & Sampdoria's accomplishments are even bigger then to beat the greatest club side ever for the title. Truth is that league was very competitive back then and Napoli had as good a chance to win the title as any other top 7-8 teams.

As for Milan being the greatest club side ever, I just can't agree with it for a team that won their own league once in those 7 years and finishing below top 4 multiple times. But thats a very subjective point and its fine if you believe that.

I think the fact he's reinvented himself should be a positive, but lots of people see it as a negative. He's gone from a flying tricky winger to an unreal goalscoring winger and now is the greatest striker in the world.

Verona didn't beat Milan to the title. Neither did Napoli the first time around. It was Platini's juventus they beat. Berlusconi bought Milan in '86 and before him the club was on the verge of bankruptcy

Ronaldo is the second greatest of all time. That season he spent at Barca in the 90's was amazing.. At the top of the tree there is only room for one star. Arise Sir Lionel Messi

I remember people mocking Messi in 2014 for scoring his game winners against Bosnia or Iran.
He won World Cup's golden ball for scoring against Iran and Bosnia. Because in the 4 KO matches, he scored 0 goals and made 1 assist. In fact, Argentina reached the finals because of their defence. Their attack was far from great, scoring a grand total of 2 goals in 4 matches outside of the group stages.

And Messi might be the GOAT, but a defender, he is not.

As always on this topic my answer is
1) nope. Messi is better
2) he is not even best ronaldo
3) ok, he is best ronaldo but is such a big twat

Agreed, Cristiano and Messi are 1 and 2 respectively in terms of greatest of all time.

Nah, ridiculous recency bias.

Ronaldo's a great goalscorer, but he's nowhere a good passer, creator or dribbler than Maradona was.

I think the fact he's reinvented himself should be a positive, but lots of people see it as a negative. He's gone from a flying tricky winger to an unreal goalscoring winger and now is the greatest striker in the world.
I couldn’t agree more. The fact that he’s done the reinvention without the team being built around him (Zidane has used him sparingly away this season) people should give him more credit. Him and Messi are both still so far above everyone else and they’re both declining..

If we're talking about career only then Ronaldo is the real GOAT. His career is far better than anyone in football history.

But in terms of footballing abilities wise, there were other players that were all around better and more fun to watch.

It depends on each one perspective.

Agreed. It’s like fancying a woman. Some love boobs, some love arses. Depends on what you fancy.

My Dad said Ronaldo is so good that he remodelled himself into Gerd Muller because he lost a bit of pace.

He's been watching football since the 60s and thinks that Ronaldo (and Messi) are the first in decades to challenge Maradona and Pele. He never saw Di Stefano so he never commented on him.

But Maradona was nowhere as great a goalscorer as C.Ronaldo. It’s all relative as Maradona and Him are totally different players in the same way Messi and Maradona are different

Ok then going by that Gerd Muller was a better player than Maradona since he scored 653 goals in 707 games (0.92 goals per game).

68 goals in 62 goals for Germany (1.10 goals per game). Scored in the winning goal in a WC final, Euro final, and European Cup/CL final.

Why's he not GOAT? Nobody puts Gerd Muller in the 10, probably not in the top 20. Ronaldo's a more limited footballer after his goals.

Ronaldo's top 10, maybe top 5, but the 3 greatest players ever are Pele, Maradona, Messi (in any order). Most historians would back me up that.

You know who the GOAT is!

It's not the cokehead or the guy who scored a bunch of goals in a mediocre league, it's not the midget who folds under pressure...

it's cristiano!

I'm not sure that's true at all, Real Madrid won 5 La Liga in a row followed by Barca 4 in a row in the late 80s/early 90s.
In Serie A, Milan won 4 out of 5 with Juve winning 3 out of 4 and no one else won it from 91-99
As for the Premier League, United fans should remember how dominant we were...
Look at the average points and goal difference totals of today's superclubs versus teams from just about any era - it's night and day. You could win La Liga and Serie A in the late 1990s with 65-80 points, which would barely give you a CL spot today. Concentration of wealth in a handful of clubs has decreased that competitiveness across the league. And it's not just Messi and Ronaldo profiting from that environment, it's other strikers like Lewandowski, Cavani, Higuain, etc who are also putting up serious numbers well ahead of what your top striker in the late 80s, 90s or early 00s could muster.

Look at the average points and goal difference totals of today's superclubs versus teams from just about any era - it's night and day. You could win La Liga and Serie A in the late 1990s with 65-80 points, which would barely give you a CL spot today. Concentration of wealth in a handful of clubs has decreased that competitiveness across the league. And it's not just Messi and Ronaldo profiting from that environment, it's other strikers like Lewandowski, Cavani, Higuain, etc who are also putting up serious numbers well ahead of what your top striker in the late 80s, 90s or early 00s could muster.

That concentration of wealth doesn't happen at international level and they still manage to score a lot more for their countries though

Everyone arguing Milan/Barca as greatest club team... what about Cruyff's early 70s Ajax sides? Beckenbauer's mid 70s Bayern sides?
The Ajax team is usually in the conversation as well and rightfully so. Personally I have it on top but well..
That Bayern team was too weak domistically to be in the conversation. During their period of european dominance the finished 1st, 10th and 3rd in the Bundesliga and didn't win a single domestic cup. That's not good enough despite the 3 european cups in a row.