View full 2017-18 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he played really well. He got to use his pace today and scored 2 good goals. Why did Huddersfield choose to play with such a high line when everyone but Mata is really quick?
Will need to improve other aspects for when we have more of the ball but brilliant today.

I thought he played really well. He got to use his pace today and scored 2 good goals. Why did Huddersfield choose to play with such a high line when everyone but Mata is really quick?
Will need to improve other aspects for when we have more of the ball but brilliant today.

It was 2 counter attacking goals. One was from Corner, so can't say that's a high line.

Thing is, we don't have a Beckham to provide as many goals for him.

He is a different animal to RVN, who could only dream about this guy's pace, and depended on the team to play to his strengths. Lukaku brings others into play better but is not as clinical in front of goal yet
The thing is when we talk about service, feeding RVN, people jumped to crossing service too. Yes having Beckham gives more edge, but RVN and Lukaku can utilize through ball, quick link up play too.

Been critical of him in the last few weeks so have to give credit where it’s due, he was very good today. This is more of what you want to see from him.

Hopefully he gets a bit of confidence from this and we see more of the same against Sevilla and hopefully Chelsea.

Was very good today. His best game for us? Possibly. Was very effective with the little amount of ball that he saw today. Good finishes, and it's definitely noticeable over the last few games that his overall play is improving.

And the same amount as Firmino

...moment of silence for the Huddersfield defenders that were bossed around like ragdolls :lol:

I actually thought he was better against Newcastle. 8/10 in that game, 7/10 today. Splitting hairs though. That’s two very good performances in a row. Badly needed with his best buddy below par/AWOL.
This . Thought he was very good v Newcastle . Delighted he got 2 it’s easy to jump on his back and say he can’t score against big clubs, I think he has improved as a player as the season has gone on .

It really isn’t hard to see that he’s a completely different player when the ball is played through to him or to his feet instead of long balls to his chest.

...But can he do it on a lukewarm, starry night in Andalusia?

What really annoys me is how media/commentators/pundits put his goals down his physicality..tonight for the first goal McMenimen said “that’s all about power”.. he hardly touched the defender. He turned him inside out and hit a great finish..hate the stereotyping of the guy...21 goals with the shit services he’s had.

I actually thought he was better against Newcastle. 8/10 in that game, 7/10 today. Splitting hairs though. That’s two very good performances in a row. Badly needed with his best buddy below par/AWOL.

Gave him 8 in both performances. He scored 2 great goals today, but against Newcastle practically didn't put a foot wrong when we talk about his all round play for which he gets so much criticism.

What really annoys me is how media/commentators/pundits put his goals down his physicality..tonight for the first goal McMenimen said “that’s all about power”.. he hardly touched the defender. He turned him inside out and hit a great finish..hate the stereotyping of the guy...21 goals with the shit services he’s had.
Leon Osman on MOTD just went on about a supposed couple of bad touches for his second goal, if that was Kane or Aguero they would be creaming themselves. The nitpicking and reluctance to give him praise for his overall game is downright weird.

Top performance from him today, he took both goals really well. I enjoyed the second one seeing that counter attack. 21 goals now for the season (I think), I don't see why he can't get to 30 goals for the season, which would be a great return.

Superb, couple of absolute bangers. Great service and holdup play and I think he will continue to flourish, being a target man will come - it will take time to develop but in the mean time we need to continue to service him in midfield and in the attacking spaces and allow him free paddock to waltz in and finish.

He was really good against Newcastle and his took his 2 goals really well today but the jury is still out on whether he can do it against the good and top teams.

Only scored 12 in 26 in the league, we will really need him to step up if we are going to make it in the top 4.

I know I've been one of his critics this season but looking at the big picture, having scored or assisted 27 goals in 38 appearances by mid February says a lot. And that is with a very questionable service provided to him in most of those games considering he's is the main striker. Happy that Mourinho keeps showing faith in him.

He was really good against Newcastle and his took his 2 goals really well today but the jury is still out on whether he can do it against the good and top teams.

Only scored 12 in 26 in the league, we will really need him to step up if we are going to make it in the top 4.
He scored against City last season running off on his own at isolated defenders.

The issue really lies with the service. There are other games where he registered a goal, still we can say the whole game he was not given many chances to shoot. Sure he has things he needs to improve individually, but the cliche about him requiring massive improvement to prove his worth is overplayed. Even when not scoring, he has been improving other aspect of his game since the beginning of the season.

I've said this before, but Mourinho demands so much from the striker in his system that almost all of them score less goals when they come to him. They cannot be a poacher; they must push the team forward with their all round play.

Milito:
2008/9 - 0.81 goals per game
2009-10 - 0.57 goals per game

Drogba:
2003/4 - 0.58 goals per game
2004-7 - 0.45 goals per game

Costa:
2013/14 - 0.69 goals per game
2014-16 - 0.47 goals per game

0.5 goals per game is about standard for a Mourinho striker; his teams are known for scoring from multiple sources and a big part of that is the Striker bringing other attackers into play. I think what we are seeing from Lukaku's development is very promising. He is becoming the all round package.

So, let's go back to that early season debate again: Lukaku vs Morata vs Lacazette./

Who made the smartest buy on the basis of what we have seen so far?

I guess few people will have any doubts

People will complain about us sitting deeper and not applying a full out press but when we have someone like Lukaku who is quick, powerful and has good link up play, our counter attacks should become a level where we destroy teams. Alongside him you add Pogba on the left with Sanchez and another pacey player like Lingard/Martial/Rashford and we will look devastating.

He will be even better next year.

It really isn’t hard to see that he’s a completely different player when the ball is played through to him or to his feet instead of long balls to his chest.
Those opportunities, the ones where the ball is played for him to run on to are naturally limited when teams park the bus or defend deep like they do against us in PL games. He benefitted at the start of the season from teams pushing up. After a few 4 goal thrashing they went back to sitting in their own half and his goal rate dropped.

Huddersfield played brave and paid the price but if he's to also excel in packed boxes/against deep lines he still needs to improve his general touch and close control. You can't only be a world beater when afforded space

That's an amazing stat, but yeah he's the worst of the 3 like some idiots said :lol:
This is the second post i've seen today, albeit from a different member, that calls people with different opinion idiots. Very disappointing not because of the word but because it dismisses anyone else's opinion. :nono:

As for Lukaku, he was really clinical today and hope to see more of this.
EDIT: yesterday

Is it not worrying that the only time he gets praise on here is when he's playing shite teams? He's a flat track bully.

Coming to form nicely, and often scores in runs, so hopefully he’s on one now.

His league record is not good enough, and I think he’d expect to have around 18 by now. As it stands, more likely 18 by end of the season, which isn’t terrible, but not the target in reality.

His game is getting better and better though, and if all our league opponents stopped playing better against us than they do against everyone else, he’d have more goals!

He’s been brilliant in 2018.

The fact is he won’t get the recognition he deserves from pundits, the media, fans, until he starts scoring in the big games.

Different circumstances but was the same with Ronaldo when he was here. Only really started to get recognition and praise when he started banging them in in big games.

The flat track bully tag is such an easy and lazy one to apply. It’s got so extreme with Lukaku that he actually gets criticised for scoring against weaker teams. Criticised for scoring! Like every goal he scores that isn’t vs the top 6 works against him.

Here’s hoping for a monster CL knockout stage campaign for him.

Is it not worrying that the only time he gets praise on here is when he's playing shite teams? He's a flat track bully.
Until the rest of our team start performing well in the big games, it's silly to target individuals. We've been awful in the big games more often than not.

We need to counter better against the top sides so we can create the chances for him to score.

The two goals were good, but he showed more than that. He called on other players to do their part in the press several times. He kept floating into passing channels when they didn't have the ball. He ran into space well.

Showed good attitude in how he celebrated Mata's "goal". He's not despondent like so many thought.

The two goals were good, but he showed more than that. He called on other players to do their part in the press several times. He kept floating into passing channels when they didn't have the ball. He ran into space well.

Showed good attitude in how he celebrated Mata's "goal". He's not despondent like so many thought.

The idea that he is “lazy” is horseshit. Works hard for the team and is improving on his game all the time. I enjoy watching him play, he wants to succeed so bad.

Thought he was excellent today, started off the moves and finished both very well. His movement was amazing for both the goals. After thinking about it, it’s clear that he is not the target man type of striker, who will win the long balls. So I hope Jose stops playing him that way. Might as well put Fellaini on top if you want to play that way.

Hopefully he goes on another goal scoring run, like he did at the very start of the season.
This pretty much applies to the whole team rather than just him. It’s down to the managers tactics in the big games. You can’t expect any striker in the world to score from 1/2 chances or half chances in the whole game. If we start playing with a more attacking mindset, he will get more chances and he will score them.

Like I said above, Fellaini is more effective than him if we just want to play long balls throughout the game.

He played amazing against Arsenal, coincidentally the only time our team turned up in a match against a big team.

He's a forward that relies on his team playing well, same with Kane.

He played amazing against Arsenal, coincidentally the only time our team turned up in a match against a big team.

He's a forward that relies on his team playing well, same with Kane.

Unlike the other big games, we played into his feet with a lot of pace. Hitting long balls into him is a waste of his talent and it doesn't work.

We need to play to his strengths more often, with Sanchez in the team now it should help.

Two very good goals yesterday. Glad the penny is finally dropping with supporters he's far from the top problem in the side.

You could easily win titles with a striker like Lukaku.

Good thing we bought Alexis because Rom's supposed telepathic connection to Pogba, which was so hyped up during Pogba's injury lay off, seems to be experiencing technical difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.