Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

That’s what’s being lost here. They are obligated to play the maximum in expenditure while receiving nothing in income. Unless there’s relief somewhere they will run out of cash very quickly.
Yea they literally have x in the bank and nothing else coming in to fund everything including wages.

Points deductions start coming in if wages can't be paid.

Wonder what they have in the bank

So the club gets sanctioned, then further punished because the club couldn't survive the sanctions? Seems fair.
Well, you never complained about fairness when your owner was injecting money in the club.

Still think Chelsea will be OK soon. The Government will be keen to not overly punish Chelsea themselves so will sanction a sale soon, then things will return to normal.

Think the worst we can expect post sale might be a slight tightening of the purse strings, but at the end of the day a new owner will want to come in and likely want to make an initial statement of their own.

Yeah ultimately this won't be that damaging to them. A couple weeks of crap and then be OK

I initially thought it would be an issue as Roman can't get the money from the sale but he will eventually. So I guess he'd sell and the money would be held somewhere till he can get his hands on it. There will 100% be a workaround for him

It's nice to be able to laugh at another clubs misery, gives me a break from our own mess!

wonder what would happen if players decided to unilaterally break their contracts with chelsea on the basis of the owner being sanctioned (the whole handing it over to a trust has paper thin credence). there would be a feeding frenzy, and i dont think the club could do much about it. plus imagine the 100 plus players on loan around the world.

Yeah ultimately this won't be that damaging to them. A couple weeks of crap and then be OK

I initially thought it would be an issue as Roman can't get the money from the sale but he will eventually. So I guess he'd sell and the money would be held somewhere till he can get his hands on it. There will 100% be a workaround for him

He talked about the proceeds of the sale going straight to Ukraine, didn't he?

That was presumably his way of getting out from under the club unscathed (ie he won't benefit directly from the sale).

What if he doesn't play ball though? They can't just sell it from under him without legal ramifications. It could drag on, or he could lie down and let it happen who knows.

We keep hearing how much he loves the club. I'm sure he'll do what's in their best interests. We'll soon see anyway.

One of the sanction conditions...

They can pay "reasonable" costs of travel to and from fixtures but not exceeding £20,000 per game per team.

No private/luxury plane journeys then?

Shame not lower .. be funny to see team travelling north on National Express bus.

It will be interesting to see how they manage to travel away in Europe.

There'd be what - 24/25 players and at least another 15 coaches and staff? Plus all the gear. Flights, transfers, accommodation, food. I don't think that can be done for £20k, unless they take public transport and stay in a Travellodge.

It depends. If the sanctions last until the end of may, that would be incredibly damaging. If the club is sold on the cheap to the Tory insider property developer (which would be a very typical Tory thing to do) before then, then the club could presumably ride the wave and be OK.

That isn't what he said though is it? If we're sanctioning Roman (as we should) we should go after Newcastle too.

Time to get rid of the lot of them and having our morals bought.
That will never happen, they are buying oil from them. They are « friends ». Europe forgot about moral long time ago. I don’t think they will start to think about it now. Now is about sanctioning the ones who threaten Europe.

Would love if this happened but would be livid if I was a Chelsea fan. This is incredibly unfair. Can't see this happening though
Why is it unfair? These were known risks 19 years ago

The idea that Chelsea will get a 9 point deduction :lol:

Makes the idea of clamping down on City look realistic!

We won’t be able to capitalise even if Chelsea’s 9 point deduction becomes a reality. That’s how low we’ve sunk.

Yea they literally have x in the bank and nothing else coming in to fund everything including wages.

Points deductions start coming in if wages can't be paid.

Wonder what they have in the bank
Can’t be that much, they announced a 145m loss 3 months ago. Right after a pandemic as well, it could be rough

This the issue, how he was allowed to buy the club is staggering, same goes for the glazers, abu dhabi, saudis and the list goes on, absolute farcical.
Glazers are not involved in any human rights or financial crimes. In fact they already own franchises in the USA. They would have passed the fit and proper test in about 5 seconds.

Fecked up decision those poor players coaches staff and supporters suffering for nothing.

Poor players who get to keep playing, coaches who get to keep coaching and supporters who get to keep watching (rumoured to be a way they can buy away tickets from the home teams)?

It's a punishment for the owner and there's no other way to do it.

Glazers are not funding murderers.

They are simply murdering Manchester United FC.

They are business people making money for themselves.

Huge difference.
I’d rather be owned by murderers who love us than be murdered. But that’s a topic for the Newcastle thread.

However, in any case the main issue is that the whole argument rests on the completely false assumption that what we are talking about is standards for football clubs. It isn't, any more than it's about new standards for banks, holding companies or property holders. They are affected simply because they are owned by specific individuals who are targeted by specific sanctions in response to a specific situation. Which means there is absolutely no reason why this happening to Chelsea should mean it should also happen to other clubs with other kinds of owners. Completely irrespective of whether those owners are more or less admirable than Chelsea's owner. If you want to make that argument, you'd have to argue the UK government should impose sanctions on Saudi Arabia.

Standards for football clubs clearly is what the person you responded to was talking about though. He pointed out that the uk government allowed ''mass murderers'' to takeover newcastle which implies that he does believe sanctions should be imposed on Saudi Arabia. It's not whataboutism to question why other countries aren't also being sanctioned for gross wrongdoing as they should be. There are clearly some double standards going on here.

One of the sanction conditions...

They can pay "reasonable" costs of travel to and from fixtures but not exceeding £20,000 per game per team.

No private/luxury plane journeys then?

Shame not lower .. be funny to see team travelling north on National Express bus.
Can’t wait to see them trying to squeeze onto the tram down to Old Trafford in May.

I don't know why anyone would feel sorry for them really, we all knew something like this could happen eventually because of who their owner is and they've ignored that fact quite happily for decades, obviously the circumstances are horrific though.

Glazers are not funding murderers.

They are simply murdering Manchester United FC.

They are business people making money for themselves.

Huge difference.

How far removed from the illegal wars are we talking here? Don't they literally give money to the US government via campaign donations etc?