Richard Ríos

Utd aren’t in a position to gamble, mainly due to financial constraints. They aren’t willing to pay €20m for Amrabat, a known quantity but they should pay £17m for an unknown near 25 year old? Years ago Utd could gamble on a Poborsky, or a Kleberson. Those days are gone.
Amrabat is a known quantity in that we know he's not good enough.
it's not a gamble to pay 17m for him....he stood up quite well against the top SA teams in Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil. Amrabat couldn't have.
INEOS won't let it happen that's for sure
i hope with new guys like Ashworth and Berrada that they see a quality young player at 24 who has a ton of potential and make the move on him. Guarantee he will be playing in europe come next month.

Based on highlight reels. The Caf has gotten so desperate in recent years, it’s embarrassing. I remember the days of laughing at this sort of nonsense on RAWK.
Nonsense? Surely not. For 17m he’s a punt worth taking. Obviously highlight reels don’t show it all but he’s definitely got a huge engine on him and skilled sufficiently. Rest can be improved if needed.

I actually prefer lowkey signings like these because it’s not always important to spend big bucks on every single player you sign.

Specially considering our financial constraints and knowing there’s lots of squad changes needed, it’s imperative we put our vast scouting network to good use and find cheap punts like this player.

I’m actually hoping reports on this player are true and gather momentum. Keeping players like Erikson & McT is what I find ‘nonsense’.
I’d happily keep a player like Rios over these 2.

I would be surprised if there is any substance to this rumour. He’s a late developer, and has really only come to prominence in Brazil in the last year or two. He’s only been in the Colombia squad for 12 months or so. And is 24 already.

His dribbling and work rate were standout features in Colombia’s Copa campaign. He covered well for James on the right hand side. At 17m maybe he is a previously uncovered gem, but this doesn’t have the feel of a well scouted, planned signing. Unless, Ashworth or Wilcox brought the idea in with them.

I’ll watched with interest, as I love an unexpected left field signing; but I doubt anyone other than avid watchers of Brazilian domestic football will know enough about him to say whether he’d be a potentially good signing or not. The rest of us are judging off Copa, which is a ridiculously small sample size.

I would be surprised if there is any substance to this rumour. He’s a late developer, and has really only come to prominence in Brazil in the last year or two. He’s only been in the Colombia squad for 12 months or so. And is 24 already.

His dribbling and work rate were standout features in Colombia’s Copa campaign. He covered well for James on the right hand side. At 17m maybe he is a previously uncovered gem, but this doesn’t have the feel of a well scouted, planned signing. Unless, Ashworth or Wilcox brought the idea in with them.

I’ll watched with interest, as I love an unexpected left field signing; but I doubt anyone other than avid watchers of Brazilian domestic football will know enough about him to say whether he’d be a potentially good signing or not. The rest of us are judging off Copa, which is a ridiculously small sample size.
he played against the best South America had to offer in Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil and more than held his own to the point of standing out agaisnt them. Small sample size or not, he's got the quality

I don't know anything about Rios and I can't remember seeing him play. What I find encouraging is that, for the first time in a while, it feels like we have identified a profile of player we are after. Namely, a defensive midfielder, and are looking at options to fill that gap. I still have not quite got over the story of how we went from Rice to Mount. Two players with f-k all in common.

he played against the best South America had to offer in Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil and more than held his own to the point of standing out agaisnt them. Small sample size or not, he's got the quality
The sample size is so small as to be irrelevant. You simply cannot recommend or sign a player based off 5-6 games in a tournament environment. There is no argument that can be made to suggest that is even a remotely conclusive or good idea.

The sample size is so small as to be irrelevant. You simply cannot recommend or sign a player based off 5-6 games in a tournament environment. There is no argument that can be made to suggest that is even a remotely conclusive or good idea.
how many games do you need to see someone play against high level competition to determine if the lad can play?

how many games do you need to see someone play against high level competition to determine if the lad can play?
"Being able to play" isn't a binary on/off thing though. Every player has a range at which they play in for the absolute majority of their time and extreme highs and low which happen very infrequently. You need to watch someone for months to understand what their actual range of sustained performance is, players do perform at completely unsustainable levels for multiple games.

it's not a gamble to pay 17m for him....he stood up quite well against the top SA teams in Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil. Amrabat couldn't have.

i hope with new guys like Ashworth and Berrada that they see a quality young player at 24 who has a ton of potential and make the move on him. Guarantee he will be playing in europe come next month.
I’m not sure what sample size means, but if we can get Amrabat for something like that … the size of his samples against Croatia, Belgium, Spain, Portugal and France - Rios just couldn’t have done that.

At least a few months, but in most cases a season or two, except if it is an exceptional young talent breaking through; which Rios isn’t. It’s certainly not 5-6 games of an international tournament.

Can't take him seriously. Richard Rios? Not Ricardo? Weird parents.
What's surprising about that?

Colombia sport the likes of JAMES Rodríguez, JOHAN Mojica, JEFFERSON Lerma, JOHN Lucumí and KEVIN Castaño.

In that context the weird parents are those of Jhon Córdoba, Jhon Arias, Yerry Mina, Mateus (Matthäus) Uribe and Davinson (???) Sánchez.

I’m not sure what sample size means, but if we can get Amrabat for something like that … the size of his samples against Croatia, Belgium, Spain, Portugal and France - Rios just couldn’t have done that.
we saw last season Amrabat doesn't have the quickness, legs or mobility to cut in the premier league hence why they said they won't pay that option to buy at 17m

At least a few months, but in most cases a season or two, except if it is an exceptional young talent breaking through; which Rios isn’t. It’s certainly not 5-6 games of an international tournament.

see this is where i fundamentally don't agree....for a couple of reasons. Rios is technically a young talent just breaking thru b/c of where he came from. Also, i don't think you need to watch a guy for months or an entire season to recognize talent. If you know what you are looking for in a player, you'll either see or you don't. It doesn't take that much time and effort to know if the kid is good enough or not.

Again just my opinion.

we saw last season Amrabat doesn't have the quickness, legs or mobility to cut in the premier league hence why they said they won't pay that option to buy at 17m

see this is where i fundamentally don't agree....for a couple of reasons. Rios is technically a young talent just breaking thru b/c of where he came from. Also, i don't think you need to watch a guy for months or an entire season to recognize talent. If you know what you are looking for in a player, you'll either see or you don't. It doesn't take that much time and effort to know if the kid is good enough or not.

Again just my opinion.
Players can be talented, but not be good enough for a certain level. Remember Ravel Morisson? Do we doubt his talent? No. Remember Arthur? He's seen as talented and he's had good stretches of great play. It's not enough to just have talent. It's not enough to have a good tournament. We've seen players have great 5-6 match stretches, and then come back to earth.

Not saying this is the case, but this is why you need a larger sample size. If we do try to sign this guy, I'm all for it. I'm just hoping this decision would be based on more than just a tournament and his talent.

I think he has some eye-catching attributes from his futsal background which translate well to professional football.

What I picked up from my small sample size (2 games against Uruguay, one with Brazil and another with Argentina) is he gets knackered by the second half and needs subbing. That is also consistent with futsal (intense but brief games).

I think at 17M he is a good option who would get minutes to rest Mainoo or as a midfield backup/rotation player but I wouldn't have any expectation of starting him regularly.

I'm not an expert in high performance fitness/physical conditioning, but wouldn't be surprised if a guy his size that trained up to age 20 for smaller pitches and shorter timeframes has a mountain to climb in that regard.

Again just my opinion.
But Amrabat’s talent was plain to see for six games in the WC - he had lot’s of mobility, ran up top players, distributed the ball quickly and crisply - how can he not cut it in the PL then?

But Amrabat’s talent was plain to see for six games in the WC - he had lot’s of mobility, ran up top players, distributed the ball quickly and crisply - how can he not cut it in the PL then?

International football is a woeful measurement of talent more often than not.

Rios is a beast in the middle. He reminds me of another Colombian from the past, Freddy Guarin who was a machine at his peak( short one). He is more box to box than holding but defend extremely well and uses his long legs very well. He's a great dribbler and can beat the press with his skill and ability to drive forward with the ball, those long strides help him a lot. Onana type of player but better offensively. Would be a very good signing especially if we lose McTominay too, he has a knack for scoring important goals with late runs like Scott. He and Ugarte would be solid solid business.

FM legend 05-08.. had long shots switched to often, once had him as 1,2 and 3 for goal of the month and goal of the season.

He was never like that in Italy though. He was decent in possession and kept things ticking over. How he played for Morocco was not his usual level

International football is a woeful measurement of talent more often than not.
I may have lost the train of who was saying what, but I believe that's exactly his point.

Aye I think it is and I've only gathered that now, smart man :smirk:

Tell that to Karel Poborsky. ;)

He was never like that in Italy though. He was decent in possession and kept things ticking over. How he played for Morocco was not his usual level

So … does anybody have a clue as to what Roberto Rios’ usual level is? (Probably not)

Amrabat is a known quantity in that we know he's not good enough.
Agreed. They took him on a loan to make sure they didn’t misspend more money. They aren’t going to throw £17m on an unknown quantity with a few decent Copa America games under his belt.

The same Amrabat that stood up against the best teams at the World Cup, love these opinions that have no basis in fact. I agree Amrabat isn’t good enough for Utd, this guy definitely isn’t.

The same was said about the Moroccan players at the World Cup, look how that went.

What's surprising about that?

Colombia sport the likes of JAMES Rodríguez, JOHAN Mojica, JEFFERSON Lerma, JOHN Lucumí and KEVIN Castaño.

In that context the weird parents are those of Jhon Córdoba, Jhon Arias, Yerry Mina, Mateus (Matthäus) Uribe and Davinson (???) Sánchez.

Kevin is ok.

But yeah, those south americans who use names such as James, Johan, Darwin , Washington, Ronald, Edinson...come on man