Riccardo Calafiori | Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calafiori is a nice player. But the hype around him has become crazy.

I've watched him play games for Bologna, he is very good in a progressive team as he does a lot of his work when his team has the ball. And he does have good defensive traits, but he still needs to get better at covering space and reading the game when he is defending.

Play style he is less Nesta and more Ramos. But I doubt he ever reaches those heights.

Will be a good signing for Arsenal, but its just the hype has become too much.

This guy should be a good fit. To have another guy that can comfortably move up the ball is a huge bonus for us. Hope it happens. One little fear I have is that ACL injury. He has a bit of an injury record in general although he seems to have had little issues the last couple of seasons. Definitely looks quality.

Just checked his injury record, it's not good at all. For a young player, he has too many injuries.

Isn't he Arsenal bound anyway? As much as I'd like to have him here, I don't think we are interested in him or have a chance.

Just checked his injury record, it's not good at all. For a young player, he has too many injuries.
It is significant for sure...may be the reason for me that his transfer fee seems a little lowish.

Good signing for Arsenal.

I'm guessing Zinchenko will be surplus to requirements now. Tomiyasu is a bit injury prone, and Timber just missed an entire season with a serious injury.

Would the starting line up be;

Calafiori Gabriel Saliba White

And then slot Timber and Tomiyasu in when needed and rotate around based on fitness and form?

This feels like a nice surgical signing. Impressed.

Good signing for Arsenal.

I'm guessing Zinchenko will be surplus to requirements now. Tomiyasu is a bit injury prone, and Timber just missed an entire season with a serious injury.

Would the starting line up be;

Calafiori Gabriel Saliba White

And then slot Timber and Tomiyasu in when needed and rotate around based on fitness and form?

This feels like a nice surgical signing. Impressed.
Can see Zinny leaving this transfer window for sure. Tomi is just not reliable. Could also see Kiwior leaving, there are already some rumours there. Think that gives us an even backline. That left back spot was the moat troublesome by far. Timber and Tomi will give us great cover as well. This and maybe a Nico Williams signing would be a pretty good window.

We are placing a fair bit of hope on Kai though. He needs to keep that late season form going.

Think we aren't interested as haven't given up on Branthwaite yet who has ability to play LCB/RCB. My gut feeling if we can't get him but manage to sell Lindelof is go for a cheap LCB option later in window.

I figure Arteta wants a player comfortable in the double pivot across the back line. Probably will be something like Calafiori-Timber and White-Zinchenko as pairs

I figure Arteta wants a player comfortable in the double pivot across the back line. Probably will be something like Calafiori-Timber and White-Zinchenko as pairs

Zinchenko days are numbered. He has 2 yrs on his current deal and no indication that an extension will be offered. We would be very open to sell him.

Zinchenko days are numbered. He has 2 yrs on his current deal and no indication that an extension will be offered. We would be very open to sell him.

The difference 6 months makes. At the beginning of last season everyone was talking about how good inverted Fullbacks are and Zinchenko being the poster boy as Arsenal were doing well with him on the left

The difference 6 months makes. At the beginning of last season everyone was talking about how good inverted Fullbacks are and Zinchenko being the poster boy as Arsenal were doing well with him on the left
Fullback Scholes

Wasnt he supposed to go to Juventus?
More money for him and his club surely changed his mind. I'm still not really sold and 40m is a nice chunk of money when we still need a starting midfielder and cover for Saka. With Timber back and Kiwior/Tomiyasu/Zinchenko as cover this should not be a priority spot to work on. We're either going to spend a lot again or act surprised when Saka is gassed in November.

Seems a very good signing to me - an actual left back who can both defend and attack, and young too.

We signed Viera for 35m who is on 55k/week.
We signed Timber who was higher profile when we signed him and more in demand and signed him from Ajax who themselves pay decent, he is at 90k.
If we get him I expect him to be in the 60k-90k range.

I expect Di Ligt to be on around 250k range if he moves to United. So yes not 5x but still 3x+ range.

Calafiori - 65m (42m transfer + 23m wages at 90k) over 5 year.
Di Ligt - 105m (42m transfer + 63m wages at 250k) over 5 years.

Romano reporting €4m net for Calafiori, so it's gonna be around £120k/week gross, whilst de Ligt will likely be around £200k/week gross.

Both are good deals IMO, but no, de Ligt won't be on 3 or 5 times the Italian's wages. Your guess was way off.

Arsenal about to sign a decent CB. They was already solid at the back last season. They need a proper number 9

Arsenal about to sign a decent CB. They was already solid at the back last season. They need a proper number 9

That is some understatement. They have the best defense in the world.

Romano reporting €4m net for Calafiori, so it's gonna be around £120k/week gross, whilst de Ligt will likely be around £200k/week gross.

Both are good deals IMO, but no, de Ligt won't be on 3 or 5 times the Italian's wages. Your guess was way off.

Seems that way...
This is not absurd money yet but considering his injury record this is significant.
We have gone through all the trouble in the world to fix our wage bill. Seems like all that discipline has gone out of the window once we agreed to pay Havertz all that money.

Seems that way...
This is not absurd money yet but considering his injury record this is significant.
We have gone through all the trouble in the world to fix our wage bill. Seems like all that discipline has gone out of the window once we agreed to pay Havertz all that money.

Your wage bill is fine for now IMO. A team that's a serious contender for the PL and CL every year cannot have their players earning low wages. This upcoming season will be the third where Arsenal are a top 4 team in the world. Also, if their long-term future lies at Arsenal, then all of Rice, Odegaard, Saka and Saliba should eventually be on over 300k in a few years' time, providing you win one of those 2 big major trophies.

Seems a very good signing to me - an actual left back who can both defend and attack, and young too.
I remember that being said about Darmian when we signed him a few years ago (RB of course)

I’d say Juve are gutted he played so well at this tournament.

No signing is cast iron and sure as hell. The same things said about Calafiori has been said about many of our signings pre signing. Baily, Lindelof, Darmian have all got huge raving reviews but we know what happened. Seems our fans just like to overrate what ever our rivals do for some reason and underrate anything we do. Ugarte is seen as just an ok signing by many but trust me let Chelsea bid for him and all of a sudden they'll all want him.

No signing is cast iron and sure as hell. The same things said about Calafiori has been said about many of our signings pre signing. Baily, Lindelof, Darmian have all got huge raving reviews but we know what happened. Seems our fans just like to overrate what ever our rivals do for some reason and underrate anything we do. Ugarte is seen as just an ok signing by many but trust me let Chelsea bid for him and all of a sudden they'll all want him.

Chelsea did try to sign Ugarte last summer, but we were outbid by PSG. At the time Chelsea fans acted like we lost out on some kind of transformational player, but quickly realised he was a good but never a ‘cannot miss’ player and everyone forgot about him. I think there would be more hype for Ugarte to United if you had signed him from Sporting last season. He was coming off a brilliant season then and his reputation was sky high.

Status
Not open for further replies.