Riccardo Calafiori | Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re assuming he’d want to come. Italians often stay in their league.
I just don’t want us to pay a ridiculous fee for Branthwaite IF we end up signing him, when a quality defender like Calafiori going for almost half. I know prices are different in serie A and PL but want to avoid us getting rinsed for an inferior player just because we are manutd.

I see the muppets are out in force. Just to add some context and background to the player:

Calafiori is from Rome and used to play for AS Roma. While playing in the Youth League against Viktoria Plzeň in 2018, he had a horrible knee injury. He ruptured all the cruciate ligaments in his left knee, along with the meniscus and the capsule. The injury was so bad that doctors said it was more typical of motocross than soccer. Despite that, he made it to the senior Roma team (debuted against Juventus). But he didn't find much space under Mourinho and lacked consistency. He was loaned to Genoa and then sold to Basel for a million and a half. In Switzerland, he got more playtime, and then Bologna bought him for 4 million. At Bologna, he found his groove, developed under Thiago Motta, and became a key part of the third-best defense in Serie A. Bologna is known for defending on the front foot.

He's definitely a comeback player with a lot of guts and courage, but I doubt he'll move to the Premier League at this stage, especially with Thiago Motta now in charge at Juventus...

I see the muppets are out in force. Just to add some context and background to the player:

Calafiori is from Rome and used to play for AS Roma. While playing in the Youth League against Viktoria Plzeň in 2018, he had a horrible knee injury. He ruptured all the cruciate ligaments in his left knee, along with the meniscus and the capsule. The injury was so bad that doctors said it was more typical of motocross than soccer. Despite that, he made it to the senior Roma team (debuted against Juventus). But he didn't find much space under Mourinho and lacked consistency. He was loaned to Genoa and then sold to Basel for a million and a half. In Switzerland, he got more playtime, and then Bologna bought him for 4 million. At Bologna, he found his groove, developed under Thiago Motta, and became a key part of the third-best defense in Serie A. Bologna is known for defending on the front foot.

He's definitely a comeback player with a lot of guts and courage, but I doubt he'll move to the Premier League at this stage, especially with Thiago Motta now in charge at Juventus...
Thanks. His stock is on the up, can’t see him leaving Italy, can only see him following Motta

We should have worked hard to get Motta this summer instead of keeping ETH. Maybe then Fiori would have come and the Zirkzee links would be more understandable. Too bad we decided to stick with ETH.

As for the player, I think he is a very good player who is on the cusp of becoming a top player. His versatility in his ability to play both LCB and LB well could be very useful for us.

We should have worked hard to get Motta this summer instead of keeping ETH. Maybe then Fiori would have come and the Zirkzee links would be more understandable. Too bad we decided to stick with ETH.

As for the player, I think he is a very good player who is on the cusp of becoming a top player. His versatility in his ability to play both LCB and LB well could be very useful for us.

Absolutely agreed. He was who I wanted and mentioned him in other threads.

Knowing us, we would quadruple his salary, for no reason whatsoever, overpay by 20mil at least and he would flop in premiership

Can't remember Italian CBs who tore it up in England?

This is all conjecture, but maybe we tried, and Motta said no thanks.

Heard of him butnever seen himuntil this tournament.

He has made a lot of little mistakesandIdont want a lcb this summer and if we do,no m first choice.

I like him though, looks gutsy and doesnt hide away and carries tha ball well.not the finished article by any means by the lookof it, seems Juve bound and anyway,theres lotsoftop young cbtogo for this summer

Apparently they don't want to sell to juve and are waiting for other bids, could potentially be a good investment as he could play both left back and center back.

Apparently they don't want to sell to juve and are waiting for other bids, could potentially be a good investment as he could play both left back and center back.
I wish we were in for him. 35-40m euros for Calafiori would sort us out. Left footed ball playing CB, can play as a lb, technical, tactical, good age. Him and de ligt would complete our defence. Please Ineos get him.

I wish we were in for him. 35-40m euros for Calafiori would sort us out. Left footed ball playing CB, can play as a lb, technical, tactical, good age. Him and de ligt would complete our defence. Please Ineos get him.
Him and De Ligt would be decent business for us.
Yeah potentially getting both for 70 mil does sound like a pretty good piece of business seeing how he could play both lb and on the middle.

According to Fabrizio Bologna don’t want to sell to Italy and especially not juve due to the motta move.

Chelsea are faves. Arsenal interested too.

Ye I wish we’d take gambles on these sort of signings. Spurs have taken gambles with Van der Ven and Udogie. This guy like you said would sort us out.

Seems like it's not a done deal to Juve like I thought it was. We should be all over him as our 2nd CB signing if we sign de Ligt IMO.

Calafiori told Vocegiallorossa that joining either West Ham or Chelsea in the Premier League would be a dream move for him:
I have two images: going back to Italy, perhaps in Rome, or my dream would be to play in the Premier League. I really like West Ham or Chelsea.

From when he was at Basel. He watched Greenstreet and Football Factory I'm guessing

Yeah very true but looks closer to Chelsea/Arsenal

Its amazing we're looking for CBs but there are no rumors linking us to him. He looks class, phyisicallity and technique. He's tall and has decent pace, just 22 and according to rumors would cost 35-40M. He's a way better option than Braithwaite.

Its amazing we're looking for CBs but there are no rumors linking us to him. He looks class, phyisicallity and technique. He's tall and has decent pace, just 22 and according to rumors would cost 35-40M. He's a way better option than Braithwaite.
I imagine its because he is a left footer and not like Branthwaite who is equally as good with both feet.

I imagine its because he is a left footer and not like Branthwaite who is equally as good with both feet.
I find strange how people see nothing wrong with having two right footed CBs but if it's two left footed then it's a no go.

He would be a great signing. One of the two players from these Euros I really wish we'd get (Kvaratshkelia the other, he just oozes Unitedness).

Why would we not be in for this guy? Covers multiple needs. Fits the age profile and he’s an eclectic player. Apart from settling/potential homesickness, what’s the downside or deterrent?

I find strange how people see nothing wrong with having two right footed CBs but if it's two left footed then it's a no go.
The majority of right footed centre backs have played on the left side at some point of their career, the majority of lefties have not. It’s just because there’s so many more right footed players.

Regardless, in this case Calafiori is not just a LCB, but a player who has also played games at LB. So I can’t see him being comfortable on the right. Whilst Branthwaite has played a full season on the right (at PSV).

Why would we not be in for this guy? Covers multiple needs. Fits the age profile and he’s an eclectic player. Apart from settling/potential homesickness, what’s the downside or deterrent?
Yeah, him and de ligt I'd successful would shore up our defence for years to come.

I find the prospect of a

Dalot De ligt martinez calafiori​

Backline to be quite tantalising as it has a good mix of defensive solidity and creativity.

I like to think we're just waiting to see how much arsenal and Chelsea are willing to fork out for him and we then jump in but perhaps our recruitment doesn't rate him as highly.

Yeah, him and de ligt I'd successful would shore up our defence for years to come.

I find the prospect of a

Dalot De ligt martinez calafiori​

Backline to be quite tantalising as it has a good mix of defensive solidity and creativity.

I like to think we're just waiting to see how much arsenal and Chelsea are willing to fork out for him and we then jump in but perhaps our recruitment doesn't rate him as highly.
They can also cross-cover positions as Martinez is a LB as well CB, just like Calafiori, and Shaw! In rotation, that’s 2 positions sorted, properly.

Our cover then looks appropriate too.

Might be a case of we have enquired and been told he's agreed to go elsewhere whether that's Juve or a league rival like Arsenal or Chelsea.

Seems like it's not a done deal to Juve like I thought it was. We should be all over him as our 2nd CB signing if we sign de Ligt IMO.

I think the big issue is the 50% sell-on clause to Basel, which is why Bologna wants at least 50 mil. I am not sure that Juve can/want to pay that much for him. From what I've seen, Arsenal seem to be leading the race.

Calafiori around £35m and we’ll pay for Branthwaite around £60m :lol:
We are still the same as we were under Glazers i’m afraid.

It seems that Basel (previous club) holds a 50% clause on any next sale. This deal won't go cheap

I think the big issue is the 50% sell-on clause to Basel, which is why Bologna wants at least 50 mil. I am not sure that Juve can/want to pay that much for him. From what I've seen, Arsenal seem to be leading the race.

50 million is still a good price for him

They can also cross-cover positions as Martinez is a LB as well CB, just like Calafiori, and Shaw! In rotation, that’s 2 positions sorted, properly.

Our cover then looks appropriate too.

Part of me think we should actually look to sign a new LB and start to increasingly view Shaw as a LCB. Might help preserve what's left of his legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.