Riccardo Calafiori | Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the big issue is the 50% sell-on clause to Basel, which is why Bologna wants at least 50 mil. I am not sure that Juve can/want to pay that much for him. From what I've seen, Arsenal seem to be leading the race.
But that’s € not £. Favourable for English clubs.
Part of me think we should actually look to sign a new LB and start to increasingly view Shaw as a LCB. Might help preserve what's left of his legs.
Agreed. We shouldn’t be pandering to him anymore because even the management expect less than 30 games out of him per season.

can't see him going to arsenal when they have Saliba .....thought he was excellent for Italy in teh Euros and while i do love having Lisandro as our LCB, fitness is a concern and we need a solid LCB who can play 40 matches a season

Agreed - But I'd say without the clause he goes to Juventus for 30-35 mil. With the clause he goes to the PL for 50 mil.

He'll probably go to Juve on loan until that clause expires and then they'll pay Bologna about 20m for him. Same as Chiesa and Locatelli.

can't see him going to arsenal when they have Saliba .....thought he was excellent for Italy in teh Euros and while i do love having Lisandro as our LCB, fitness is a concern and we need a solid LCB who can play 40 matches a season
He plays LB too. They could potentially have 4 CB's starting next season.

Saliba is RCB, Gabriel LCB. Calafiori would be great competition/understudy for the latter.

He'll probably go to Juve on loan until that clause expires and then they'll pay Bologna about 20m for him. Same as Chiesa and Locatelli.
Why would Bologna do that when they are getting offered the clause value from clubs outside of Italy

Why would Bologna do that when they are getting offered the clause value from clubs outside of Italy

Same reasons Forentina and Sassuolo accepted similar deals. The player himself will probably not want to leave Italy, he apparently already agreed to terms on a move to Juve. He more than likely will reject any English clubs to join up with Juve and his old coach in the end.

Same reasons Forentina and Sassuolo accepted similar deals. The player himself will probably not want to leave Italy, he apparently already agreed to terms on a move to Juve. He more than likely will reject any English clubs to join up with Juve and his old coach in the end.
Aren't reports saying he's interested in the Arsenal proposal?

I find strange how people see nothing wrong with having two right footed CBs but if it's two left footed then it's a no go.
If you watched Fulham last season when they played Bassey at RCB you’ll understand. You exclusively want to play your left footed CB on the left side of defence. Right footed players can play both sides with some even preferring to play on the left, like Terry, Van Dijk, Rudiger.

Having two left footed CBs seems like a waste of resources especially if they can’t cover other positions.

Aren't reports saying he's interested in the Arsenal proposal?

Interested... but he already agreed to Juve before Arsenal even came looking and before Juve and Bologna could agree a deal.

Seriously, when has an Italian player ever rejected Juve to move abroad?

At Arsenal he'd slot in at LB, no?

Calafiori Gabril Saliba White back 4?

At Chelsea he would basically render Chilwell surplus to requirements (there's already noises bubbling up about several clubs being interested in signing him), as Cucurella would then slot in as the back up. I don't think either Chelsea or Arsenal have a need for him as a CB option other than being the back up to the starting CBs already at both clubs.

At Arsenal he'd slot in at LB, no?

Calafiori Gabril Saliba White back 4?

At Chelsea he would basically render Chilwell surplus to requirements (there's already noises bubbling up about several clubs being interested in signing him), as Cucurella would then slot in as the back up. I don't think either Chelsea or Arsenal have a need for him as a CB option other than being the back up to the starting CBs already at both clubs.
This is part of the problem with the game right now, isn't it? It obviously works in this new era of inverted fullbacks, but how boring is that as a back four? It's basically just four CBs.

This is part of the problem with the game right now, isn't it? It obviously works in this new era of inverted fullbacks, but how boring is that as a back four? It's basically just four CBs.

Calafiori has played more matches as a LB or LWB than at CB over the course of his career.

Its boring in the sense that you don't get many shifty flair fullbacks like Dani Alves anymore and I do miss those kinds of players. But if you have fullbacks like Calafiori or Gvardiol then its a lot easier to play a three man midfield with two attacking oriented players and to keep your wingers high and threatening. Some people would say that the days of playing double sixes in midfield and preferring one "winger" to be known for his defensive workrate were boring.

In the end, most setups have five players who regularly join the attack and five players who mainly defend, with 1-2 of those only marauding forward selectively, and its mainly just about which players do which things.

Interested... but he already agreed to Juve before Arsenal even came looking and before Juve and Bologna could agree a deal.

Seriously, when has an Italian player ever rejected Juve to move abroad?
Calafiori said to Juventus that their deal still lasting but Juventus replied him that they won't go higher than 40 and that he is free to look for the best offer since juventus won't outbid or bid more than that.
Bologna already gave us the finger after agreeing on a 27m fee the 5th of May and went back on their word. So they can feck over.

And again while he may be worth 30-40m more than that? we'll see the usual british clubs crying cause he isn't the new Beckenbauer they thought.

I can bet my ass that next summer he'll come back to Italy for 20-25m after a not so great season in Premier.

reddit /remindmein 14months

Calafiori said to Juventus that their deal still lasting but Juventus replied him that they won't go higher than 40 and that he is free to look for the best offer since juventus won't outbid or bid more than that.
Bologna already gave us the finger after agreeing on a 27m fee the 5th of May and went back on their word. So they can feck over.

And again while he may be worth 30-40m more than that? we'll see the usual british clubs crying cause he isn't the new Beckenbauer they thought.

I can bet my ass that next summer he'll come back to Italy for 20-25m after a not so great season in Premier.

Italian defenders don't usually do well in the premier league so you may be right.

Physically, that’s what City have. Two big FBs.

Has advantages on set pieces (both ends) and maybe inverted wingers but true tricky/pacy wingers who can go both ways could be a problem

I would not be surprised if he still ends up at Juve and it comes out eventually that Arsenal were never seriously in for him.

None of the serious noise about Calafiori and Arsenal is coming from journalists known to have sources at the club. Its almost all coming from Italy.

Bologna has every incentive to sew stories in the media about PL interest if they are trying to pressure Juve to raise their offer.

We have been long rumored to be in for a LB or LB/LCB this summer so it wouldn't be shocking if the transfer to Arsenal does happen. But I wouldn't assume anything at this point.

I would not be surprised if he still ends up at Juve and it comes out eventually that Arsenal were never seriously in for him.

None of the serious noise about Calafiori and Arsenal is coming from journalists known to have sources at the club. Its almost all coming from Italy.

Bologna has every incentive to sew stories in the media about PL interest if they are trying to pressure Juve to raise their offer.

We have been long rumored to be in for a LB or LB/LCB this summer so it wouldn't be shocking if the transfer to Arsenal does happen. But I wouldn't assume anything at this point.
Honestly I don't understand Bologna way of dealing with Calafiori.
They have to give 40% of any monetary fee to Basil FC if they sell Calafiori.
If it were me I'd make a mixed trade of players and money or maybe sell for a lower fee and get another player or two for a low fee.

But I don't think there is only Arsenal rumors of Chelsea as well.

One way or another he's going to spend his best years at Juve. May as well just cut to the chase and get him this summer.

Honestly I don't understand Bologna way of dealing with Calafiori.
They have to give 40% of any monetary fee to Basil FC if they sell Calafiori.
If it were me I'd make a mixed trade of players and money or maybe sell for a lower fee and get another player or two for a low fee.

But I don't think there is only Arsenal rumors of Chelsea as well.

Throw in a few years on loan and that's a standard Juve deal.

Maybe Italian defenders never do well in prem because mostly they never leave?

Things could possibly change, the idea that say Nesta wouldn't have been the best cb in prem is ridiculous for example.

Calafiori is more of a hybrid player though, who can play both positions. A bit like Ivanovic who was equally formidable at CB and RB. Calafiori at LB is different from say, Akanji or Disasi at RB.

Why the feck we didn’t prefer him over Branthwaite I’ll never know. He would have suited us to a tee. Covers both positions for us for a reasonable price.

Likely because we think Branthwaite is better, has a higher ceiling, is two-footed, English and Premier League proven. I get it too. But then we'd need to sign him and not just watch Calafiori go to our rivals without a fight. What I like most about him as a potential signing is what you mentioned, he can cover both injury plagued starters (Shaw and Martinez) though I'm hopeful Martinez will manage to stay more or less fit throughout the season (knock on wood!).

At the danger of sounding arrogant we surely must have more pulling power than arsenal for him?

At the danger of sounding arrogant we surely must have more pulling power than arsenal for him?
Historically perhaps, but now? He gets champions league football next season and a likely title charge with Arsenal, not to mention living in London. Don't think he'd have his head turned by us trying to sell him a project or showing him our new all star org structure.

if the kid is starting for Italy, imo, he shouldn't be an understudy then to anyone

He's different to both of them and Arsenal don't really have a strongest XI, but think more in terms of the whole squad. However, Saliba is a higher-value profile and the straight-up better defender. Has a case for being the best CB in the world. If Calafiori goes there, expect him to play both LCB with Saliba as his partner, or the LB spot that Kiwior has been taking up lately.

He would be a great signing. One of the two players from these Euros I really wish we'd get (Kvaratshkelia the other, he just oozes Unitedness).

Funny how that works, as Kvaratskhelia looks like the most un-United player ever to me and I've always been pretty sure he will never play for us...but that's fine for me because personally I don't think he's worth anywhere near 100 million and he isn't among the best left wingers on the planet in my book.

Last edited:
Hope we can gazump them for him at the last minute. He is an excellent player and his ability to play both a LB and LCB will help us a lot as our current players for both those positions are injury worries.

Why the feck we didn’t prefer him over Branthwaite I’ll never know. He would have suited us to a tee. Covers both positions for us for a reasonable price.

Your claim of Calafiori being "twice the player" that you posted in the Branthwaite thread is inaccurate, despite me personally also preferring the Italian player if I had to choose between the two.

We shouldn't be paying 65-70m or more for Branthwaite, but he's still an incredible option for that LCB/LB role, despite Calafiori being better. Value wise, Calafiori would clearly be better, but Everton and Bologna are sadly in significantly different financial situations, despite the Serie A side making the Champions League last season, whilst the de facto Super League side was in a relegation fight throughout their league campaign.

My point is that Branthwaite is undoubtedly an elite option for the defense and not someone we shouldn't be very optimistic about, if we do manage to end up signing him for around 50-55m maximum.

Arteta following his idol Pep in having four central players across the back four. Their signing last season, Timber, is also a more central player than a traditional full back. With Klopp gone, the biggest thing the PL will miss is a different style of football at the very top. Hope, ETH comes through on his promise of last season to make us the best transition team in football.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.