Riccardo Calafiori | Signs for Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazes me people are ok with 50m for him but then the same fee for De Ligt is being questioned...

Amazes me people are ok with 50m for him but then the same fee for De Ligt is being questioned...

Two things
1. Player on the rise vs player stagnated over last two transfers.
2. Also its mainly salary as the salary difference will be 5x.

Who is questioning the De Ligt fee? All i can see if people saying it’s a great deal, which corresponds with Bayern fans fuming at their board.

I’d take Calafiori in a heartbeat.

If De Ligt is on 250k-300k, you think this player will be on 50k-60k per week?

No probably not, i do agree that the salary will be a factor though and likely significantly higher for De Ligt but 5x is definitely too high, 2-3 times i assume.

Who is questioning the De Ligt fee? All i can see if people saying it’s a great deal, which corresponds with Bayern fans fuming at their board.

I’d take Calafiori in a heartbeat.

lots have in the specific thread

Just hoping that after we wrap up de ligt we take punt at this, him being able to play as a left back especially seeing how it's the new norm to have center backs shifted there is a massive bonus.

If it all goes well and with dalot having improved by leaps and bounds us getting to solidify our Backline with just two transfers at the cost of 90mil is a very intriguing proposition.

Careful because Chelsea are literally the other PL club heavily linked with him and the hijack is on until the fat lady sings.
Tbh, unless the player picks a club he prefers, the hunt should really go to the wire.

Outside of settling - which you can never know how it'll pan out - he's a perfect profile of player for any club looking for a player on the left side of defence.

Craziest thing is that wherever he goes he could be utilised so differently by another club: Back 3 LCB; Back 4 LCB; Back 4 LB; Back 5 LWB. That's a lotttt of flexibility! And he's tall, quick, very skillful and only 22.

It's actually insane if Arsenal get a clear run at him as you'd expect a lot of emergency calls going on around clubs that could lead to gazumping.

If this guy can play left back - and, unlike others we seem to collect, doesn't get injured every time the wind blows, sounds good to me. We have let in far too many goals in the past 2-3 seasons (now, can we talk about a real goalkeeper?)

Arteta following his idol Pep in having four central players across the back four. Their signing last season, Timber, is also a more central player than a traditional full back. With Klopp gone, the biggest thing the PL will miss is a different style of football at the very top. Hope, ETH comes through on his promise of last season to make us the best transition team in football.

Arteta did 4 CBs first, not Pep. It's the other way around.

Two things
1. Player on the rise vs player stagnated over last two transfers.
2. Also its mainly salary as the salary difference will be 5x.
1. This lad was at Basel and Bologna vs Juve and Bayern...
2. Not a chance you pay him 50k if you're buying him for £40/50m.

1. This lad was at Basel and Bologna vs Juve and Bayern...
2. Not a chance you pay him 50k if you're buying him for £40/50m.

Reported salary is 60k

by any one in the UK or Italy? If it's Italy it will likely be net.

We also signed Hojlund on 80k whilst paying more than 50m, so the logic that the fee means more than 60k a week does not hold.
Guess we'll find out when the deal is done

We also signed Hojlund on 80k whilst paying more than 50m, so the logic that the fee means more than 60k a week does not hold.
Guess we'll find out when the deal is done
Well it does, unless you think it's directly correlated. Either way it won't be 5x less than De Ligts.

Well it does, unless you think it's directly correlated. Either way it won't be 5x less than De Ligts.

You'll need to explain that one.

Agree its not going to be 5x De Ligt, but it probably will be about 3x or even 4x

You'll need to explain that one.

Agree its not going to be 5x De Ligt, but it probably will be about 3x or even 4x
Well unless you think the wage directly slides down with the fee, you gave an example where it was way more than 50k. Kiwior they paid less than £20m for and he's reportedly on £60kish. Tomiyasu and Timber are on 90k. I'd sack my agent if he only got me 60k.

We're supposedly trying to keep his wage to about 200k, so I doubt it will be 4x either. We will see.

Well unless you think the wage directly slides down with the fee, you gave an example where it was way more than 50k. Kiwior they paid less than £20m for and he's reportedly on £60kish. Tomiyasu and Timber are on 90k. I'd sack my agent if he only got me 60k.

We're supposedly trying to keep his wage to about 200k, so I doubt it will be 4x either. We will see.

You're the one who mentioned fee of 40/50m saying you won't get him for 60k with that fee.
Wages are relative to what a player would accept (also based on what they were previously earning) reports are that 60k is the number

You're the one who mentioned fee of 40/50m saying you won't get him for 60k with that fee.
Wages are relative to what a player would accept (also based on what they were previously earning) reports are that 60k is the number
I did, but you didn't give me an example of someone who's been signed for a big club for £40m that's on 60k. You gave me an example of someone who's on more and extrapolated.
And to what your prospective employer pays their current employees. I had a search and the 60k number comes from Italy (Tutto Bologna Web - 4m euros a year), which they usually report in net.

I did, but you didn't give me an example of someone who's been signed for a big club for £40m that's on 60k. You gave me an example of someone who's on more and extrapolated.
And to what your prospective employer pays their current employees. I had a search and the 60k number comes from Italy (Tutto Bologna Web - 4m euros a year), which they usually report in net.

Indeed, because you linked wages to the fee, so obviously, someone who we paid 72m for would get more than 60k, but it's not a lot more as he's on 80k.
Basiclaly the point was you can't always judge wages by fee, there are plenty of players who cost 72m who are on a lot more than 80k

Funny how that works, as Kvaratskhelia looks like the most un-United player ever to me and I've always been pretty sure he will never play for us...but that's fine for me because personally I don't think he's worth anywhere near 100 million and he isn't among the best left wingers on the planet in my book.

In truth, I was guilty here of yapping on the basis of Euro impressions - specifically, it was his magnificent performance against Portugal who made me think this - totally committed on and off the ball, a constant threat, technically brilliant. That just had that sheen you associate with a United great. I realise he might not be all that every game for Napoli, but then I don't watch Serie A so I wouldn't really know.

In truth, I was guilty here of yapping on the basis of Euro impressions - specifically, it was his magnificent performance against Portugal who made me think this - totally committed on and off the ball, a constant threat, technically brilliant. That just had that sheen you associate with a United great. I realise he might not be all that every game for Napoli, but then I don't watch Serie A so I wouldn't really know.

I think whilst his 22/23 was brilliant, it made him a little bit overrated amongst football fans. He not only had good numbers, but was generally a very entertaining player as well, for a team that playing free-flowing football and won the league at a canter. However, as soon as Napoli had a bad season, his performances deteriorated and his numbers decreased. And such a drop off in a weaker league like Serie A is telling IMO. His CL stats aren't great either: 2 goals and 5 assists in 17 games so far in his career. I just don't think he can join a Premier League club that finished 8th last season and do more than Garnacho or even Rashford last season. He needs a good team around him, like 99% of footballers, or he will look worse than he really is in a bad environment. I don't think he solves any problems we have and it would be a big investment, and therefore a pointless one IMO. I don't rate him as highly as football fans generally do.

We signed Viera for 35m who is on 55k/week.
We signed Timber who was higher profile when we signed him and more in demand and signed him from Ajax who themselves pay decent, he is at 90k.
If we get him I expect him to be in the 60k-90k range.

I expect Di Ligt to be on around 250k range if he moves to United. So yes not 5x but still 3x+ range.

Calafiori - 65m (42m transfer + 23m wages at 90k) over 5 year.
Di Ligt - 105m (42m transfer + 63m wages at 250k) over 5 years.

We signed Viera for 35m who is on 55k/week.
We signed Timber who was higher profile when we signed him and more in demand and signed him from Ajax who themselves pay decent, he is at 90k.
If we get him I expect him to be in the 60k-90k range.

I expect Di Ligt to be on around 250k range if he moves to United. So yes not 5x but still 3x+ range.

Calafiori - 65m (42m transfer + 23m wages at 90k) over 5 year.
Di Ligt - 105m (42m transfer + 63m wages at 250k) over 5 years.
I agree with that range, 60k would be very good negotiating on your part.

He won't be on 250k, all the reporting has suggested we want to keep it closer to 200k.

I agree with that range, 60k would be very good negotiating on your part.

He won't be on 250k, all the reporting has suggested we want to keep it closer to 200k.

He's also a better player than Calafiori

I'd much rather have Calafiori over DeLigt.....Italian defenders are just born to do it

that said...adding DeLigt isn't a bad option at all

Much better CB for sure. I guess with Calafiori it's the versatility you're getting.

Yeah not a bad player at all, and Arsenal are already strong at CB so don't need to worry about that so much

Might be wrong but is there sometimes a perception that Italians can struggle a little bit outside of Italy? I might be wrong but i just have always had that perception and the majority of top players invariably end up back at Juve, Milan, Inter quite quickly. England used to have the same issues where a lot of talents would go to another country but never really play to a high standard for whatever reason. This has definitely changed over the last 5-10 years with Bellingham, Kane, Sancho etc.

Anyone signing this guy is getting a decent defender

A top defender, my Italian friend is calling him the new Nesta already. Hope he does not join Arsenal

Status
Not open for further replies.