Renato Sanches joins Bayern

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Edgar Davids.
Definite similarities but Davids was a monster defensively. This guy looks like he could be but he hasn't actually made a successful tackle all tournament, supposedly. On the other hand he's made the most fouls in the team in just 3 sub appearances. Lots of raw potential but he could conceivably go the same way as Anderson.

Reynoldo

Definite similarities but Davids was a monster defensively. This guy looks like he could be but he hasn't actually made a successful tackle all tournament, supposedly. On the other hand he's made the most fouls in the team in just 3 sub appearances. Lots of raw potential but he could conceivably go the same way as Anderson.
No Greggs in Germany though right?

Spoony

The People's President
His only 18 to be fair. But yeah similarities aside from the locks, it's the way he carries the ball forward...that reminds me of Davids.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Other people have a different opinion and suddenly they are blind.

The cafe sometimes.
Meant in a lighthearted way, obviously. I note you don't object to me calling them idiots though. :lol:

Sylar

Bayern got him when LVG was still in charge of us right? Wonder if Jose being at the helm might have made a difference (you know, portugal connections etc).

I think the definition Raw is perfect for him.Rushes into things at times, but has the energy and youthful exuberance you would expect. Some good passes, mixed with some poor ones. Early anderson comparisons are not far off tbh.

Being 18, hes gonna grow and improve. His build would have been perfect for the Premier League.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
His only 18 to be fair. But yeah similarities aside from the locks, it's the way he carries the ball forward...that reminds me of Davids.
Also the sheer physicality, esp when he's shielding the ball and it's damn near impossible to get it off him. From what little I've seen of him, he looks more like a talented player on the ball (but fairly raw, esp with his passing) with plenty of drive and work rate but not someone with the defensive nous or the tackling ability etc. He could develop these aspects of his game in the future, but as it stands he looks more of an offensive B2B player rather than a defensive one such as Davids.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think he might be an inbetweener of sorts. Lacks the defensive nous to do what Davids did but lacks the top-level technique to be a great attacking midfielder. Physically built to do one thing, mentally built to do another, and lacking the all-round package to do either well enough to justify silly amounts of money.

ReDDHDevilS

Mourinho was keen for United to sign Renato Sanches but it is understood the club dithered over concluding a deal out of the fear it would have confirmed Louis van Gaal's protracted departure.
Woodward sent scouts to extensively monitor Portugal midfielder Sanches before he joined Bayern Munich from Benfica on May 10 and United indicated they decided against signing him because Van Gaal was not interested.
That, however, was a smokescreen, since United refused to publicly undermine Van Gaal and could have clinched a deal for Sanches a week before he agreed to move to Bayern.
Take it with a pinch of salt. But if it's true then....................

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Also the sheer physicality, esp when he's shielding the ball and it's damn near impossible to get it off him. From what little I've seen of him, he looks more like a talented player on the ball (but fairly raw, esp with his passing) with plenty of drive and work rate but not someone with the defensive nous or the tackling ability etc. He could develop these aspects of his game in the future, but as it stands he looks more of an offensive B2B player rather than a defensive one such as Davids.
Nah, he can tackle, too. He's been a constant troublemaker in the CL games against us, and like you've mentioned it's damn hard to pry the ball off him. Best tactic is to wait for him to make stupid pass. But he's also frickin effective in disrupting the ball circulation of the oppositions midfield.
Jury is out on where his ceiling is, but if he improves on the tactical aspects of the game, he could very well end up as a worldclass midfielder.

the hea

Bayern got him when LVG was still in charge of us right? Wonder if Jose being at the helm might have made a difference (you know, portugal connections etc).

I think the definition Raw is perfect for him.Rushes into things at times, but has the energy and youthful exuberance you would expect. Some good passes, mixed with some poor ones. Early anderson comparisons are not far off tbh.

Being 18, hes gonna grow and improve. His build would have been perfect for the Premier League.
It could have made a difference but the truth is we are very far behind a team like Bayern at the moment whoever we have as our manager.

Sylar

It could have made a difference but the truth is we are very far behind a team like Bayern at the moment whoever we have as our manager.
Oh no doubt, I probably would have made the same choice as him given the timing and the difference in the two teams.

ReDDHDevilS

I'm almost certain that Sanches himself has confirmed that he had a choice between us and Bayern and he choose Bayern.
That's what Bayern made him to say I believe. Don't forget players are normally told to say things that help to improve clubs image.
We could've easily signed Snaches long before Bayern got their hands on him.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I'm still angry about the Thiago disaster. :mad:

Even though is injured a lot.
Tbh, the gargantuan caf meltdown is still the greatest aspect of his signing:lol: He really didn't live up to his promise:(
Next season will be his final acid test. If he doesn't step up, I'm sure we'll be looking for someone else in the following market.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I think he might be an inbetweener of sorts. Lacks the defensive nous to do what Davids did but lacks the top-level technique to be a great attacking midfielder. Physically built to do one thing, mentally built to do another, and lacking the all-round package to do either well enough to justify silly amounts of money.
Agreed with that by and large, but he definitely seems to have the tools to become an excellent box to box midfielder (without necessarily being a reliable creative presence or a sturdy defensive wall in midfield) and we don't really know how much he could progress tactically.

Nah, he can tackle, too. He's been a constant troublemaker in the CL games against us, and like you've mentioned it's damn hard to pry the ball off him. Best tactic is to wait for him to make stupid pass. But he's also frickin effective in disrupting the ball circulation of the oppositions midfield.
Jury is out on where his ceiling is, but if he improves on the tactical aspects of the game, he could very well end up as a worldclass midfielder.
Interesting, didn't seem like a particularly good tackler to me but I haven't exactly watched much of him so could be in the wrong here. He's definitely got plenty of dynamism and is a willing runner off the ball, and he could thrive in a pressing system under the correct guidance. Or as an AM in a midfield trio who has the freedom to press/roam as he likes, without much positional or tactical constraints. Doesn't quite seem like the sort with the defensive nous or someone who is tactically disciplined and excel in a midfield duo for example - something which Davids did alongside Deschamps. Like you said we don't really know how he will progress tactically and he is just a young 'un after all. For all we know he could come leaps and bounds in the defensive facets of his game, or not. Would be intriguing to see how his playing style pans out over the years though.

NoLogo

Tbh, the gargantuan caf meltdown is still the greatest aspect of his signing:lol: He really didn't live up to his promise:(
Next season will be his final acid test. If he doesn't step up, I'm sure we'll be looking for someone else in the following market.
Strange. Thought he was mostly really good whenever he was fit for an extended period of time, which admittedly wasn't too often the case.

NYC

He's going to learn from the best, Vidal...

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Doesn't quite seem like the sort with the defensive nous or someone who is tactically disciplined and excel in a midfield duo for example - something which Davids did alongside Deschamps. Like you said we don't really know how he will progress tactically and he is just a young 'un after all. For all we know he could come leaps and bounds in the defensive facets of his game, or not. Would be intriguing to see how his playing style pans out over the years though.
What he currently lacks in tactical apitude and spatial awareness he almost makes up for by his enormous energy and physicality. And he's pretty clever in personal duels, too. Our not so shabby midfield had huge problems in controlling the 2 games vs Benfica and that was mostly because of him.
I think he can work very well in a 2 man midfield when paired with an experienced player to guide him, like Alonso, for example. In Vidal we also have a player who could be the perfect mentor to improve on his specific style of play.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Strange. Thought he was mostly really good whenever he was fit for an extended period of time, which admittedly wasn't too often the case.
He was injury-free during the whole last season. Still, mostly a no show when it counted.

kenny19

Meant in a lighthearted way, obviously. I note you don't object to me calling them idiots though. :lol:
Don't mind me. I hate the kid after he supposedly snubbed us even after it was revealed we LVG didn't want him.

shabin_d_great

Saw no grace.. Physically he is a beast.. he will never fit in Barca or a Guardiola side.. But a typical Mou signing..
Was more interested by Jao Mario.. wonder why no clubs are interested in him?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Saw no grace.. Physically he is a beast.. he will never fit in Barca or a Guardiola side.. But a typical Mou signing..
Was more interested by Jao Mario.. wonder why no clubs are interested in him?
Since we rejected a 35 million euros plus addons bid from PSG i guess clubs gave up because of our demands.

Regarding Sanches like i said in the match thread it was a good sub from Santos since we needed his energy. That's precisely what he gave us. Actually looking forward to see him evolve under Bayern's guidance. Will be an important player for the future of our Nt.

Litch

Great talent but we need a 25-27 year old experience midfielders that have to hit the ground running with some experience of the PL

ti vu

Great talent but we need a 25-27 year old experience midfielders that have to hit the ground running with some experience of the PL
If we play the card well with add on, 120 mil euro for Pogba vs potential 80 mil Euro included add on Renato Sanchez, then it made sense we dithered. Pogba arguably is more than 1/3 the difference in price with Renato at the moment in both football influence and marketable value.

Arguably, if our marketing crew does a good job (they evidently did), we can make up that difference in transfer fee with the hype surrounding Mourinho and his signings real quick, while high-potentially improve our football result-wise. Safer than Renato who has a lot to prove.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's a mdifielder who cannot pass very well. Before anything else is considered, that's a real worry, and precisely why I didn't want him here where we need more polished articles to get us back to the top.

At a club where he can develop and be mentored by better midfielders (Bayern, Barca even Madrid) and slowly ushered into a calm and stable environment, he could go on to be a great player, but there's not much to his game right now to justify anything like the hype or price he went for.

For €60m on an 18yr old, I'd expect the second coming of Matthaeus, Keane or whichever legendary b2b midfielder you want to fill the blank with, not a kid who needs as much work as Renato does.

Acole9

Outstanding
Impressed with him when he come on last night. When he was fouled he just got up and didn't make any real issue of it, that was refreshing to see. His shooting clearly needs to be worked on though.

Litch

If we play the card well with add on, 120 mil euro for Pogba vs potential 80 mil Euro included add on Renato Sanchez, then it made sense we dithered. Pogba arguably is more than 1/3 the difference in price with Renato at the moment in both football influence and marketable value.

Arguably, if our marketing crew does a good job (they evidently did), we can make up that difference in transfer fee with the hype surrounding Mourinho no his signings real quick, while high-potentially improve our football result-wise. Safer than Renato who has a lot to prove.
Agree. Signings are often much more than just football. Irrespective of ability or potential, Pogba is a statement of intent and for the first time in a long time, we might sign a player that isn't surplus to Spanish or German requirements, but is coverted by all the top teams.....Also a signing that will appease the marketing people equally