Religion, what's the point?

I am not supporting White Supremacy in anyway, but they are doing what they do because they are racist, not Christian. It is true that they have burned crosses and so on and some may consider themselves Christian, but it’s as far from Christian as it can be. As far as I’m aware they don’t do it in the name of God as Calado is trying to suggest.

Well to an extent I do believe that and it seems the American government also believes that, if the threat of terror is considered to be more realistic than you can see why they would be more wary.

Yeah, but they are doing it because they are primarily racist aren’t they and have no objection to be called it, so I don’t think you can say it’s Christian motivated because someone used a few bible passages.

The master and slave agenda was pushed in the church by preachers using biblical verses. It was used as motivation. These verses were misinterpreted but they were certainly used.

That's not saying Christianity itself is racist or pushes this narrative. It doesn't. My age of earth example was given to show that it's not the religion itself rather those who create a narrative using the religion as it appeals to people/their congregation.

I am not supporting White Supremacy in anyway, but they are doing what they do because they are racist, not Christian. It is true that they have burned crosses and so on and some may consider themselves Christian, but it’s as far from Christian as it can be. As far as I’m aware they don’t do it in the name of God as Calado is trying to suggest.
You don’t see the total irony in this post? You must have some self awareness.

The master and slave agenda was pushed in the church by preachers using biblical verses. It was used as motivation. These verses were misinterpreted but they were certainly used.

That's not saying Christianity itself is racist or pushes this narrative. It doesn't. My age of earth example was given to show that it's not the religion itself rather those who create a narrative using the religion as it appeals to people/their congregation.
I can agree with that evildoers will use anything to manipulate people even the bible, it’s been happening for centuries.

You don’t see the total irony in this post? You must have some self awareness.
America is deep seeded in racism and I’m sure there are racists who consider themselves Christian but the White Supremacy threat is a racist movement not Christian.

I can agree with that evildoers will use anything to manipulate people even the bible, it’s been happening for centuries.

Think we agree.

As I've mentioned before I'm religious myself. What I maybe haven't mentioned is that I'm almost anti mosque/church/synagogue. I think generally they have become places of division rather than unity and what their real purpose is.

I like religious history and one of the main points that I find striking is that over the years these places have become the purveyors of religion. I believe in the past it was the individual. Which lead to more questioning of the institutions.

Think we agree.

As I've mentioned before I'm religious myself. What I maybe haven't mentioned is that I'm almost anti mosque/church/synagogue. I think generally they have become places of division rather than unity and what their real purpose is.

I like religious history and one of the main points that I find striking is that over the years these places have become the purveyors of religion. I believe in the past it was the individual. Which lead to more questioning of the institutions.
Yep. The Church’s and so on haven’t exactly covered themselves in glory the past few years, I understand where you are coming from.

Anyway have to cut grass now so can’t continue to reply. Good interaction guys.

America is deep seeded in racism and I’m sure there are racists who consider themselves Christian but the White Supremacy threat is a racist movement not Christian.

Not so sure I totally agree with this. After the conversation above I think we agree that evildoers will use anything to do evil.

Historically the church has been at least heavily involved in colonisation and slavery etc with the notion that it was ok to do certain things as christians to people who were not.

Certainly for America anyway. Historically speaking the pilgrim father's weren't about escaping oppression but about going to a place where they could oppress.

Some of the racist principles were enshrined in the constitution and declaration of independence, as in savage native Americans or black people being a fraction of white people.

Note: my focus on Christianity, specifically in America, here is simply due to discussion we are having.

It’s not I looked at the figures there now and they are very close between WS and IT, it’s definitely not 4-1.

Well to an extent I do believe that and it seems the American government also believes that, if the threat of terror is considered to be more realistic than you can see why they would be more wary.

Yeah, but they are doing it because they are primarily racist aren’t they and have no objection to be called it, so I don’t think you can say it’s Christian motivated because someone used a few bible passages.
They most certainly use their religion, in this case christianity, as a motivation, a causation, or an excuse for their actions. Their literature, iconography, & manner is steeped in Christianity, often times dominionism. This just isn’t debatable.

Then we could look at the rabid pro-lifers out there that bomb & attack. Religion could not be more intrinsic.

I stand corrected on the 4 to 1, it’s closer to a little less than 3 to 1 far right (which is significantly white supremacist along with anti-government making up the vast majority) terrorism v islamic terrorism since 9/11.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/08/post-911-domestic-terror

Religion is embedded into far right wing terrorism. There simply isn’t an argument here.

e - here’s a good article from a very reputable source…

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-.../holy-hate-far-right’s-radicalization-religion

Last edited:
Posted this in the TV show thread, but I highly recommend ‘Under the Banner of Heaven,’ a miniseries based on a Jon Krakauer book on a brutal murder in uber-LDS Utah area in the mid 80s. The whole show is spooky as hell & the acting is superlative.

This was a preacher using religion to further political gains. It could very well have been put in the WS thread, but it’s actually more germane to this thread. It shows the fallacy of religion on multiple levels.
And a very strong reminder as to why it should be kept very far out of politics.

It's much more than that. This is an interesting article from the southern poverty law center about the KKK and how their racism is intertwined with their Christian identity.
https://www.splcenter.org/20170925/hate-god’s-name

I also don't find the "they are already racist and are cherry picking the bible" argument very comforting. They are cherry picking because there is enough horrific crap in the bible to cherry pick from. If it wasn't for millions of moderates making Christianity seem normal and or good, there wouldn't be the extreme version of them.

It's much more than that. This is an interesting article from the southern poverty law center about the KKK and how their racism is intertwined with their Christian identity.
https://www.splcenter.org/20170925/hate-god’s-name

I also don't find the "they are already racist and are cherry picking the bible" argument very comforting. They are cherry picking because there is enough horrific crap in the bible to cherry pick from. If it wasn't for millions of moderates making Christianity seem normal and or good, there wouldn't be the extreme version of them.

I think cherry picking is the wrong terminology. For me it's outright fabrication.

Sure the fabrication may have happened so long ago that people no longer see it as fabrication. But my own journey into religion/s shows when you look into it properly it's a case of what is wasn't.

I see it in "sects" of Islam all the time. They'll even provide references. But if like me you look into it then the references origin may have been a book 400 years ago which was false in the first place. Yet the "schools" that have developed show the adherents a reference and it's accepted.

There is one popular group amongst Muslims, that I have personally witnessed have their book basically shown to have false "evidence". They unanimously accept it's false. Yet still teach it.

I think cherry picking is the wrong terminology. For me it's outright fabrication.

Sure the fabrication may have happened so long ago that people no longer see it as fabrication. But my own journey into religion/s shows when you look into it properly it's a case of what is wasn't.

I see it in "sects" of Islam all the time. They'll even provide references. But if like me you look into it then the references origin may have been a book 400 years ago which was false in the first place. Yet the "schools" that have developed show the adherents a reference and it's accepted.

There is one popular group amongst Muslims, that I have personally witnessed have their book basically shown to have false "evidence". They unanimously accept it's false. Yet still teach it.

Which is the problem with Religion. You don't see that with engineering or chemistry. Without religion, we don't have massive groups of people twisting old made up books into giant quests to dominate and control others. That doesn't mean they won't do it but I would imagine there would be less of it without religion.

Which is the problem with Religion. You don't see that with engineering or chemistry. Without religion, we don't have massive groups of people twisting old made up books into giant quests to dominate and control others. That doesn't mean they won't do it but I would imagine there would be less of it without religion.

Not sure if the problem is with religion as such. I'm no expert but I think some aspects of science do what religion did/does. As in of something doesn't fit you come up with something else that makes it fit.

The problem as I see it is that when we speak of religion people take what's at the forefront. So me as a Muslim get the whole "earth is 6k years old lol" kind of comments. This isn't in Islam or Christianity really. Yet say something about an aspect of science or evolution and people will Google etc to go into the micro levels of explanation.

Of course there are those who shout science but quote Gervais and Fry too. Unfortunately with religion it's all Gervais and Fry types

Not sure if the problem is with religion as such. I'm no expert but I think some aspects of science do what religion did/does. As in of something doesn't fit you come up with something else that makes it fit.

The problem as I see it is that when we speak of religion people take what's at the forefront. So me as a Muslim get the whole "earth is 6k years old lol" kind of comments. This isn't in Islam or Christianity really. Yet say something about an aspect of science or evolution and people will Google etc to go into the micro levels of explanation.

Of course there are those who shout science but quote Gervais and Fry too. Unfortunately with religion it's all Gervais and Fry types
Science is a process. We have learned a lot about how the world works due to scientific processes. Religion claims to know things by just making stuff up. How is a claim about an Ark and a great flood not part of religion? Hell, I am watching a NASCAR race right now and they just aired a commercial for the stupid Ark Encounter.

Science is a process. We have learned a lot about how the world works due to scientific processes. Religion claims to know things by just making stuff up. How is a claim about an Ark and a great flood not part of religion? Hell, I am watching a NASCAR race right now and they just aired a commercial for the stupid Ark Encounter.
The feck is that?

e - never mind, it’s that place in Kentucky that teaches dinosaurs & man lived together a few thousand years ago. That Aussie wacko thumper built it.

The feck is that?

e - never mind, it’s that place in Kentucky that teaches dinosaurs & man lived together a few thousand years ago. That Aussie wacko thumper built it.

Exactly. They even try and take public school kids to it on field trips as a science trip. One of the reasons I have little/no tolerance for religion in America.

They most certainly use their religion, in this case christianity, as a motivation, a causation, or an excuse for their actions. Their literature, iconography, & manner is steeped in Christianity, often times dominionism. This just isn’t debatable.

Then we could look at the rabid pro-lifers out there that bomb & attack. Religion could not be more intrinsic.

I stand corrected on the 4 to 1, it’s closer to a little less than 3 to 1 far right (which is significantly white supremacist along with anti-government making up the vast majority) terrorism v islamic terrorism since 9/11.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/sep/08/post-911-domestic-terror

Religion is embedded into far right wing terrorism. There simply isn’t an argument here.

e - here’s a good article from a very reputable source…

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-.../holy-hate-far-right’s-radicalization-religion
It’s not really Calodo these are the figures from a recent survey 2021.

Its report concluded that far-right extremists killed 114 people spanning more than three dozen violent attacks, while US-based individuals it terms “jihadists” killed 107 people across 14 attacks.

It’s not really Calodo these are the figures from a recent survey 2021.
Terrorism isn’t about killing the highest number of people. It’s about striking fear in the most amount of people. That’s where the number of attacks comes into play.

Terrorism isn’t about killing the highest number of people. It’s about striking fear in the most amount of people. That’s where the number of attacks comes into play.

Well I am certainly more afraid of far right Christian extremist in American than I am of all the other groups combined. It's not even a close call on that.

Well I am certainly more afraid of far right Christian extremist in American than I am of all the other groups combined. It's not even a close call on that.
The stochastic terror element makes them far more worrisome than the traditional, top down hierarchy.

What is this Far right Christian extremist’s, never heard them described as this before, far right extremists, yes. Not Christian.

Maybe that’s something to do with home based and Foreign terror threats why it’s easier to carry out more attacks.

Maybe that’s something to do with home based and Foreign terror threats why it’s easier to carry out more attacks.
Logistics definitely plays a part in it, but we suffer from domestic terror over here far more than we suffer islamic terror. The number of instances proves that.

No not at all, I think you two are implementing the Christian narrative a little too much in far right extremism.
I get that you are talking as a christian & don’t like to have your religion besmirched, but you are as incorrect here as a flat earther.

Let’s look at it this way - under what religion do many think this country was founded?

If you need a hint, glance at the splc link I sent you.

I can not read that for some reason but didn’t it come out Timothy McVeigh was an extremely mixed up guy?
It's about much more than just McVeigh.

The city of God lay deep in the Ozark hills of northeastern Oklahoma, at the end of six miles of dirt road. Young men in thrown-together fatigues guarded the gates to the domed church of Elohim City. The church was the center of community life for the isolated settlement, host to charismatic morning prayers and evening assemblies. It flew Christian banners and Confederate flags. Many of Elohim City’s roughly one hundred residents were transients, who drove their mobile homes onto its four hundred acres for as long as they needed refuge from an iniquitous world. Polygamy was encouraged and patriarchy enforced. Non-domestic work for women was forbidden.

“Elohim” is a Hebrew word for God, but those who lived in Elohim City preferred to call God “Yahuah,” owing to something a resident once uttered while speaking in tongues. They considered themselves the real Israelites, not those descendants of the devil who called themselves Jews. That was what Christian Identity, the religion practiced at Elohim City, instructed.

No one at the compound ate pork, and children at its school learned Hebrew. Knowledge of Hebrew was valuable for demonstrating that the different words for “man” in the Bible proved that Yahuah created races of people, some superior, others inferior. Their faith ordained that the chosen people—descended from the northern European countries that these true Israelites settled—separate themselves in preparation for the reckoning to come. A monstrosity called the Zionist Occupational Government (ZOG), a cabal of Jews, had subverted America, the intended home of the chosen, and empowered their subhuman puppets. A local boy sang visitors a song about murdering Barney the dinosaur. Underneath his costume, the boy explained, Barney was a “ni**er.”

The patriarch of Elohim City was an elderly Canadian named Robert G. Millar. Millar said that a vision from Yahuah had led him on the path to both America and Christian Identity. A polygamist known to his followers as Grandpa, Millar had founded Elohim City in 1973, and about half its populace at any given time were members of his extended family. “Any equality at all” among races was “against the Bible,” Millar explained to a Dateline NBC reporter. Yet he refused to label himself a white supremacist: “Let’s put, ‘We’re separatists.’” Asked to account for his racism, Millar replied, “The truth is often offensive.” When he died in 2001, the Southern Poverty Law Center ranked Millar among a generation of men “who have led the American radical right for some 30 years.”

Christian Identity did not accept the Rapture foretold in Revelation. The Second Coming would instead result from struggle—an armed struggle to racially cleanse the world, probably after an economic collapse that would bring down this mongrel civilization. The heavily armed residents of Elohim City meant to triumph in the rough life to come. Under the tutelage of a German Army veteran named Andreas Strassmeir, they drilled in marksmanship and repurposed old ammunition crates into building materials. That established the community as a safe haven not only for Christian Identity believers but for fellow-traveling neo-Nazis, as well as violent criminals. These included members of a gang called the Aryan Republican Army, which aimed to finance the white revolution by robbing banks across the Midwest while wearing Point Break-inspired masks of ex-presidents. Another was the leader of a white supremacist militia, the Covenant, Sword and Arm of the Lord (CSA), which had forced law enforcement into a three-day standoff in Arkansas in 1985. Two years earlier a CSA member had plotted an attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.

It's about much more than just McVeigh.

The city of God lay deep in the Ozark hills of northeastern Oklahoma, at the end of six miles of dirt road. Young men in thrown-together fatigues guarded the gates to the domed church of Elohim City. The church was the center of community life for the isolated settlement, host to charismatic morning prayers and evening assemblies. It flew Christian banners and Confederate flags. Many of Elohim City’s roughly one hundred residents were transients, who drove their mobile homes onto its four hundred acres for as long as they needed refuge from an iniquitous world. Polygamy was encouraged and patriarchy enforced. Non-domestic work for women was forbidden.

“Elohim” is a Hebrew word for God, but those who lived in Elohim City preferred to call God “Yahuah,” owing to something a resident once uttered while speaking in tongues. They considered themselves the real Israelites, not those descendants of the devil who called themselves Jews. That was what Christian Identity, the religion practiced at Elohim City, instructed.

No one at the compound ate pork, and children at its school learned Hebrew. Knowledge of Hebrew was valuable for demonstrating that the different words for “man” in the Bible proved that Yahuah created races of people, some superior, others inferior. Their faith ordained that the chosen people—descended from the northern European countries that these true Israelites settled—separate themselves in preparation for the reckoning to come. A monstrosity called the Zionist Occupational Government (ZOG), a cabal of Jews, had subverted America, the intended home of the chosen, and empowered their subhuman puppets. A local boy sang visitors a song about murdering Barney the dinosaur. Underneath his costume, the boy explained, Barney was a “ni**er.”

The patriarch of Elohim City was an elderly Canadian named Robert G. Millar. Millar said that a vision from Yahuah had led him on the path to both America and Christian Identity. A polygamist known to his followers as Grandpa, Millar had founded Elohim City in 1973, and about half its populace at any given time were members of his extended family. “Any equality at all” among races was “against the Bible,” Millar explained to a Dateline NBC reporter. Yet he refused to label himself a white supremacist: “Let’s put, ‘We’re separatists.’” Asked to account for his racism, Millar replied, “The truth is often offensive.” When he died in 2001, the Southern Poverty Law Center ranked Millar among a generation of men “who have led the American radical right for some 30 years.”

Christian Identity did not accept the Rapture foretold in Revelation. The Second Coming would instead result from struggle—an armed struggle to racially cleanse the world, probably after an economic collapse that would bring down this mongrel civilization. The heavily armed residents of Elohim City meant to triumph in the rough life to come. Under the tutelage of a German Army veteran named Andreas Strassmeir, they drilled in marksmanship and repurposed old ammunition crates into building materials. That established the community as a safe haven not only for Christian Identity believers but for fellow-traveling neo-Nazis, as well as violent criminals. These included members of a gang called the Aryan Republican Army, which aimed to finance the white revolution by robbing banks across the Midwest while wearing Point Break-inspired masks of ex-presidents. Another was the leader of a white supremacist militia, the Covenant, Sword and Arm of the Lord (CSA), which had forced law enforcement into a three-day standoff in Arkansas in 1985. Two years earlier a CSA member had plotted an attack on the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
Well as I was discussing with Roane, evildoers will use any means necessary to commit their evil deeds even the bible.

I can give you a personal example of terrorism committed by a Christian in the name of Christianity. My lab mate and friend was about a minute away from being caught in the Birmingham Abortion clinic bombing. A security guard was killed and a nurse maimed by that bomb.

Rudolph may have had a twisted view of Christianity, but make no mistake, it was this radical view of Christianity that led to his multiple acts of terror.

Well as I was discussing with Roane, evildoers will use any means necessary to commit their evil deeds even the bible.
No doubt, but one cannot divorce religion from the far right terror movement in this country. It’s impossible. It’s a tattoo on the movement, be it a certain flavor of christianity or Nordic mysticism. It’s literally in the DNA of the movement.

That's a very simplistic and honestly naive view. Anders Behring Breivik wouldn't have committed terrorism if he wasn't heavily radicalized into his white supremacy, Christian heritage, fascist views.

That's a very simplistic and honestly naive view. Anders Behring Breivik wouldn't have committed terrorism if he wasn't heavily radicalized into his white supremacy, Christian heritage, fascist views.
Anders Breivik is asking for parole, there is obviously something seriously missing in the guy. If it wasn’t white supremacy it would have been something else.