Religion, what's the point?

That's absolute nonsense. His actions were very specifically targeted.
How’s it absolute nonsense, the guy obviously was hardwired for evil to do what he did if it wasn’t that attack he’d have done something else.

How’s it absolute nonsense, the guy obviously was hardwired for evil to do what he did if it wasn’t that attack he’d have done something else.

Then maybe he would have beaten his wife, or jumped off a building, or joined the army to kill people. But because of his beliefs in white supremacy, Christian heritage and fascism, he chose terrorism.

So, would you agree that religion is the grease on the rails or religion had no impact in the Brevik instance?

And talking about "hardwired for evil" is a very problematic approach, because it implies there's nothing we could have done, and nothing we should do. This is particularly dangerous today, when far-right radicalization is happening at an incredible rate online.

Then maybe he would have beaten his wife, or jumped off a building, or joined the army to kill people. But because of his beliefs in white supremacy, Christian heritage and fascism, he chose terrorism.
So you think a guy capable of killing 76 people wouldn’t do any other heinous crime given the chance.

So you think a guy capable of killing 76 people wouldn’t do any other heinous crime given the chance.

so by this theory there is no such thing as religious motivated terrorism, right?

or nationalist terrorism.

or any terrorism.

So, would you agree that religion is the grease on the rails or religion had no impact in the Brevik instance?
I believe he was an evildoer that didn’t live his life right and committed a terrible crime.

I believe he was an evildoer that didn’t live his life right and committed a terrible crime.
He lived his life through his core beliefs, christianity being one of them. Sure, it’s a perverted, flawed version of the religion, but it is religion nonetheless.

I get that you don’t want to bad mouth your religion, but your contortions must be hell on your back.

Why do you say he didn't live his life right? Was it maybe, just maybe, he was too deep into Christian extremism? I don't get how you are just brushing that aside as a major contributing factor and without it, the hate may not have been there.

He lived his life through his core beliefs, christianity being one of them. Sure, it’s a perverted, flawed version of the religion, but it is religion nonetheless.

I get that you don’t want to bad mouth your religion, but your contortions must be hell on your back.
Better than hot coals on my head.

It's been clearly stated in this thread multiple times.
No it hasn’t.
Why do you say he didn't live his life right? Was it maybe, just maybe, he was too deep into Christian extremism? I don't get how you are just brushing that aside as a major contributing factor and without it, the hate may not have been there.
If he was living his life like a good living Christian he wouldn’t go out and murder 76 people. Do we not at least agree on that?

No it hasn’t.

If he was living his life like a good living Christian he wouldn’t go out and murder 76 people. Do we not at least agree on that?
No we can't. There is no definition of good Christian and the fact that you can't see that there are Christian organizations that center around hate and bigotry is a major problem. You are a walking example of the No True Scotsman fallacy in this thread right now.

No we can't. There is no definition of good Christian and the fact that you can't see that there are Christian organizations that center around hate and bigotry is a major problem. You are a walking example of the No True Scotsman fallacy in this thread right now.
Well if that’s what you believe then I am sorry you feel that way and any conversation will lead down a very different path than what I believe.

So, nothing bad can be done in the name of religion?
If he has no response for this then I don't think we were in a sincere discussion.

No-True-Scotsman-Jesus-Defined.jpg

What is evil? Not abiding by the 10 commandments, working on a Sunday, wearing clothes that have mixed fabrics? I prefer a logical, secular approach to morality, not the bible.
If you don’t know the difference between right and wrong at your age I cannot help you now.