Gaming Red Dead Redemption 2 (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Stadia)

The problem won't be the length but that Rockstar think storytelling is all about stealing referencing scenes from hollywood movies.

Their parodies are great and always have been. Strange you see it as a negative.

Their parodies are great and always have been. Strange you see it as a negative.
It's not the parodies I have a problem with it's the actual storylines in their game. GTA 5 for example is just surface level rip off of Michael Mann films, rather than looking at a film like Heat and seeing it as a film about(And this is just one of many interpretation) 2 men who live by a dedication to certain rules and job titles, Rockstar thought - bank heist wow cool lets have that in our game, De Niro looks cool that have our character wear the same clothes etc.

It feels like someone showing you their favourite movie clips rather than actually saying anything of substance.

The problem won't be the length but that Rockstar think storytelling is all about stealing referencing scenes from hollywood movies.
So you think they should make a Western-themed game without referencing or borrowing from ‘Hollywood’ movies?

And am sure they are looking beyond ‘Hollywood’ movies too.

It's not the parodies I have a problem with it's the actual storylines in their game. GTA 5 for example is just surface level rip off of Michael Mann films, rather than looking at a film like Heat and seeing it as a film about(And this is just one of many interpretation) 2 men who live by a dedication to certain rules and job titles, Rockstar thought - bank heist wow cool lets have that in our game, De Niro looks cool that have our character wear the same clothes etc.

It feels like someone showing you their favourite movie clips rather than actually saying anything of substance.

Fair. I've always liked that aspect to be honest.

For me the story has always been an excuse to do cool/outrageous/funny stuff anyway. With GTA more than Red Dead, which needs a stronger story imo.

This game apparently strives to immerse you in the culture of your group - even to having camps and spending time with your guts aside from missions.

Every preview I have read said that this game is all about substance and depth.

Yeah why not. Come up with something new.
Think you need to find a new game developer.

In my opinion, R* try to put you into worlds that you know but then put a satirical slant on that world.

Is it the most original? Probably not...

...but it does enable you to ‘live’ in Scarface, Boyz N Hood!!

Think you need to find a new game developer.

In my opinion, R* try to put you into worlds that you know but then put a satirical slant on that world.

Is it the most original? Probably not...

...but it does enable you to ‘live’ in Scarface, Boyz N Hood!!
Which is fine but it's also just lazy.

The wait is killing me. Also having morbid thoughts about dying before I get to play this :nervous:

People complaining about length can do one. This is going to be absolutely sick.

The wait is killing me. Also having morbid thoughts about dying before I get to play this :nervous:

People complaining about length can do one. This is going to be absolutely sick.
Ah, what I would give to be 12 again. A game ruling my universe.

Ah, what I would give to be 12 again. A game ruling my universe.

This is probably the closest I've felt to being 14 and buzzing my tits off about Vice City coming out. Never talk about games with mates but we've all been talking about this.

GTA V's main story was fairly crap and underdeveloped though - they've done much better in the past with GTA IV and the original RDR.

GTA V's main story was fairly crap and underdeveloped though - they've done much better in the past with GTA IV and the original RDR.

The characters were all fun though, maybe Michael was a bit bland but I suppose he was meant to be the “grown up” of the group and they had a good dynamic between the three of them. Trevor is an instant classic :drool:

I want this guy in it again. Loved his scenes...

Just looking at that first scene, I bet you do that mission and he is standing in the background somewhere!

The characters were all fun though, maybe Michael was a bit bland but I suppose he was meant to be the “grown up” of the group and they had a good dynamic between the three of them. Trevor is an instant classic :drool:

Yeah, if you play like you'd expect the characters to act they're fun. I actually think Franklin was the worst, because he was made out to be a gangster at the start but they didn't give you much of it. But him as a sick driver, Michael getting the business done, and going mental with Trevor was good. Hope they give us something really juicy on the next one - full blown mafia mob guy, MS13 gangster, and a bent cop please Rockstar!

Yeah, if you play like you'd expect the characters to act they're fun. I actually think Franklin was the worst, because he was made out to be a gangster at the start but they didn't give you much of it. But him as a sick driver, Michael getting the business done, and going mental with Trevor was good. Hope they give us something really juicy on the next one - full blown mafia mob guy, MS13 gangster, and a bent cop please Rockstar!

I played with Franklin as more of a traditional gangster type hitman. Always had him wearing suits, killing people with silencer type weapons etc. probably not what they had in mind for him but I enjoyed it

I really didn’t like the Trevor segments at first, as he was such a psycho and it forced my hand a bit. Then, as the game went on, I started relishing the freedom of being Trevor :lol:

Anyway, to anybody that’s interested, there’s 20 secs of gameplay leaked :)

I really didn’t like the Trevor segments at first, as he was such a psycho and it forced my hand a bit. Then, as the game went on, I started relishing the freedom of being Trevor :lol:

Anyway, to anybody that’s interested, there’s 20 secs of gameplay leaked :)

20 secs :lol:

I don't have any time to play video games anymore... maybe like an hour or so every few days.

So this will probably take me about a year to finish (whenever I get round to buying it)... which I'm totally fine with.

I still have feckin' Assassins Creed Origins and Far Cry 5 to get through too.

Gonna absolutely no life this game for a bit, I have bundles of spare time so the wait til Friday already feels unbearable.

So much arguing about a game which isn't out.

Simple solution.

If it's too long for you, buy almost any other game. You'd be unlucky to have to suffer a campaign over 10 hours.

My pleasure.

Anyway, has anyone spotted any good (UK) deals for this?

Really unsure if to get the ultimate edition or not. I don’t play GTA online so the gta cash won’t be of any use to me, but it seems like you get some extra missions with the ultimate edition.

Shoots like Max Payne 3, which is a damn good thing, ya’ll

If they have that slow down Max Payne bullet time pick your target, I’m probably going to spend most of my time just shooting peoples knee caps out first then their hat 3rd as they drop to their knees. Because I’m evil that way. Then back to hunting bears naked with a knife.

@Cloud7 I got the middle version due to that extra mission thing as well even tho it’s not really clear about what that is. Screw the deluxe version.

So if I was generally meh about GTA 5 and RDR1, I will probably be generally meh about this one too I take it? Rockstar open world's just never really grab me.

What's the policy on spoilers for games? I can only find rules about series/TV/books.

I have the entirety of next week off work,not for this, it was just a massive coincidence but not complaining.

What's the policy on spoilers for games? I can only find rules about series/TV/books.
It should just be common courtesy really, we used them in the MHW thread for a good few months. So I would say use them.

Speaking of I just went on my Xbox and it must have downloaded RDR2 as I am now at 90% capacity of storage and only have 33gb of space left.

It should just be common courtesy really, we used them in the MHW thread for a good few months. So I would say use them.

Speaking of I just went on my Xbox and it must have downloaded RDR2 as I am now at 90% capacity of storage and only have 33gb of space left.

Yeah I agree. I asked because of the leak a few posts above me and because of the comments on that leak. Can you guys please use the spoiler tags? Thank you :)

Yeah I think the standard is to use a spoiler tag for the first couple of months. Maybe say whether it's story related or just a random encounter.