RAWK Goes Into Meltdown | 2013/14

That's probably true but it's not how the campaign will be remembered.
And it shouldn't be. The Gerrard slip was the crucial moment. I fail to see how anyone can argue otherwise. Mignolet's error against City? That was in effing December. Even with that mistake Liverpool could have easily won the title. They lost the initiative with Gerrard's slip and his subsequent, hilarious second half performance against Chelsea. If Liverpool lose the title, it's number one among the reasons.

A scouse mate of mine on Facebook just wrote that he hopes someone nails Suarez in the 92nd minute of their last match on Saturday, fecking mental :wenger:

That might be because England have Uruguay in the WC, I know I share the same opinion as him. Hoped for a while one of the England lot at Liverpool injures him in training.

That might be because England have Uruguay in the WC, I know I share the same opinion as him. Hoped for a while one of the England lot at Liverpool injures him in training.

Are you a Liverpool fan though?

It wasn't Gerrard's slip that cost the game, it was his mentality afterwards. Moments like the slip occur, however they needed only to draw and so only one goal.

Steven Gerrard panicked. He is the captain and leader on the pitch, when Liverpool needed calm and patience, he gave them panic and impatience. Instead of willing his team to unlock the Chelsea defence, he demanded they smash through them like a bettering ram. And he took the lead in this, prior to that game he averaged less than 2 shots per game but in the second half alone he took 8.

Liverpool went behind and the pressure got to him hence the inability to execute the required strategy, the inability to do what he has all season and get the ball to the goal scorers. The pressure caused him to revert back to what he knows, his old habits, to try to be the saviour of Liverpool.

No, but the guys probably just being patriotic. Just a handy little injury ruling him until the middle of July.

I dunno I still think hoping for an injury on your best player is mental, patriotic or not. The way he said "nail" Suarez is a bit OTT for a niggly injury.

Someone should make a Liverpool blooper reel if they don't win the title. It should start with happy scousers celebrating Fergie's retirement. Then the Moyes banner and statue. Then comedy defending, Skrtel own goals, Kolo's hilarious assist against WBA, the Gerrard slip, huddle, the tears after the City game, the Suarez tears etc, the crying fans after Chelsea, the fat bloke and the retards then fade out into Sturridge's idiotic dance.

It's karmic justice for his "slippery pass to Chelsea back then"

Oh.. if the scouse fails to win it, it'll make me belief in Karma. That and I can't believe he goes live on the record saying "Don't let this slip", I don't recall anyone of us ever said anything before actually winning the damn thing.

The group huddle was vomit inducing, they haven't won nothing at that time, a rival win is all, but nothing is sewn.

Serve them right

Let's be honest.. He wasn't referring to the title when he said "This doesn't fecking slip".. He was referring to the effort, focus, and intensity they showed vs City. Which is why he said, "We go to Norwich. We go again" or something like that. However, I will agree that a great leader would have taken his team inside and done that in a more emotionally balanced manner. Not sure if you watch basketball, but someone like Kevin Garnett or Lebron James would never ever do that out on court in a 7 game series if they just took a 3-1 lead for example or 3-2. Gerrard should have gone round thanking the fans, patted his teammates on the back then done what he did out there in the dressing room instead. THis is what suggests to me that it was for show

I love the "ghost" SAF laughing over the Liverpool failures GIF doing the rounds. Is there a chance we could do the same but just the Gerrard slip and a DJ laughing?

You are aware I posted in the thread I actually did. but only had 60 quid on it. Seemed a dead cert 60p.

Ah man, you didn't did you? :(

I think im nearly the polar opposite to you betting wise. Id be more likely to back the draw in that scenario!!!

Free money aint always free. Its far more fun chasing a whopper long shot (cheaper too I think!)

It wasn't Gerrard's slip that cost the game, it was his mentality afterwards. Moments like the slip occur, however they needed only to draw and so only one goal.

Steven Gerrard panicked. He is the captain and leader on the pitch, when Liverpool needed calm and patience, he gave them panic and impatience. Instead of willing his team to unlock the Chelsea defence, he demanded they smash through them like a bettering ram. And he took the lead in this, prior to that game he averaged less than 2 shots per game but in the second half alone he took 8.

Liverpool went behind and the pressure got to him hence the inability to execute the required strategy, the inability to do what he has all season and get the ball to the goal scorers. The pressure caused him to revert back to what he knows, his old habits, to try to be the saviour of Liverpool.

Spot on, good post!

Him an Brendan cost Pool the league title I feel!!

They're the reasons we even challenged.

they we're until the Chelsea game! :)

I know I didn't really go into detail as to why I believe they "ultimately" cost you your title....

Stevie G: He cost you the title not because he slipped...can happen to any player, anywhere... So be it! His second half display was ridiculous!! He was a 12 year old in a local park attempting the crossbar challenge!! He didn't once look for a through pass to the S&S, it was him trying to atone for his slip... He was trying to make himself the star of the game and basically take the headlines all about himself... All this, from your Capt??????? The man couldn't lace Keanes boots on his best day and Keanes worst!!

Brendan: Why is he at fault? Well the silly bugger went and attacked Chelsea at break neck speeds sort of speak... he went all out at them and there really was no need... a draw would of done, they could of sat back, been patient, ran down the clock and made chelsea come out at them in the 2nd half and then they would of caught them on the counter attack... how he didn't see it I don't know? I have to assume he knew this, but stuck to his guns and decided I'll do what I've done all season come hell or high water....Also when Stevie G was looking for Roy of the Rovers moment, why the £uck didn't Rodgers pull him aside and tell him to cop himself on, its about the club..its about the other players...its about history, not about Stevie Fn G!!!

Now whats left?

Reality is when you compare IF Liverpool had won the league how much of a "Club legend" he would be and would have been in their history for winning them their first title in 20 years!! He might do it still in the years to come, who knows... personally I don't see it tbh!! I can see Real snapping Suarez up now in the summer after he has a good world cup and they will not cease til he is their player...as they always do!!

Now...its just a case of what might of been!!

Last edited:
If City win today, it is over. There is no way City would "slip" on Sunday. West Ham won't even give a shite about the game.
Kevin Nolan is a huge Liverpool fan plus Carroll and Downing are former Liverpool players.

There's enough potential narrative there to worry me.

Last edited:
Wayne Bridge has retired from football after a troublesome knee injury. He ends his career with more league titles than Steven Gerrard, Robbie Fowler and Jaime Carragher combined.

Bm9-CoRCIAASqFX.jpg:small

Last edited:

He has the same problem as Terry - he wants to be in the spotlight, wants to be in the headlines way more than a captain ever should.

Ultimately this was what cost Chelsea the European Cup - Terry wanting to take the last penalty so he could steal the headlines. It didn't turn out the way he wanted.

Bit harsh on Gerrard this. Rodgers got his tactics wrong, played into the classic Mourinho sucker-punch (if you disregard the first goal, this match could be in a 'Jose Mourinho Defensive Game Plans' textbook), and Liverpool never actually looked that much of a threat despite all that advanced possession. Ok, so Gerrard's shooting was impatient and a bit wasteful, but it's not as if Liverpool were doing anything useful with the possession anyway. I don't think they would have been any more likely to get anything out of the game if Gerrard hadn't taken all those shots. In a way, at least he was recognising the need for some sort of more direct plan B approach. He just didn't have one.

A scouse mate of mine on Facebook just wrote that he hopes someone nails Suarez in the 92nd minute of their last match on Saturday, fecking mental :wenger:

Wait... why? For some moral high-ground consolation or something? Or to stop Madrid trying to nick him?

Liverpools best looking season in 24 years is going to end up being less profitable than King Kennys one where he finished 7th but won a trophy!

Liverpools best looking season in 24 years is going to end up being less profitable than King Kennys one where he finished 7th but won a trophy!

hardly! they've CL football!! Bring in at least 50m in revenue or more from TV rights..add in gate receipts and the rest that goes with Match day revenues...

hardly! they've CL football!! Bring in at least 50m in revenue or more from TV rights..add in gate receipts and the rest that goes with Match day revenues...

So their accountants will be pleased. But the CL football is only a bigger achievement if they actually do something with it next season. If they go out in the group stages or the last 16, or if they don't manage to stay in the top four, then I reckon the fans would've taken another FA Cup instead. Top four isn't an achievement in itself, it's just the opportunity to achieve.

So their accountants will be pleased. But the CL football is only a bigger achievement if they actually do something with it next season. If they go out in the group stages or the last 16, or if they don't manage to stay in the top four, then I reckon the fans would've taken another FA Cup instead. Top four isn't an achievement in itself, it's just the opportunity to achieve.

Disagree, what do you expect them to bloody do? win the CL soon as they enter it? Seems to be your mentality! Its the hardest tournament in world football! If they make it past the group stages it'd be a monumental success for them!! City with all their spending couldn't do that on their first try!! If Liverpool qualified it'd be incredible for them to do so next season!!

FA Cup is mickey mouse these days for bigger clubs what with the revenue CL brings...besides revenue it also brings better players to the club as well if you can gaurantee CL football on a regular basis!!

We talk about the slip a lot, and should do, cos it's funny and memorable. But it's not actually the slip that was problematic in that instance. The slip is what guaranteed that Gerrard wouldn't catch up with Ba and couldn't 'hack him down' or anything, but the real problem was a tiny brainfart at that moment that meant Gerrard didn't control Sakho's pass and let it slip under his boot. The slip is going to be iconic of course, but the reason why he lost the ball at that moment is that he lost his concentration for a fraction of a second in a critical area of the pitch.

Get ready; Neither Lucas nor Coutinho have been called up to the Brazil squad for the World Cup.

Disagree, what do you expect them to bloody do? win the CL soon as they enter it? Seems to be your mentality! Its the hardest tournament in world football! If they make it past the group stages it'd be a monumental success for them!! City with all their spending couldn't do that on their first try!! If Liverpool qualified it'd be incredible for them to do so next season!!

FA Cup is mickey mouse these days for bigger clubs what with the revenue CL brings...besides revenue it also brings better players to the club as well if you can gaurantee CL football on a regular basis!!

Careful, you're going to run out of exclamation marks. ;)

Obviously I'm not saying that I expect Liverpool to immediately succeed in the CL. I'm saying that you can't consider top four an achievement on par with winning the FA Cup, because if they go out in the group stages and can't stay in the top four next season (both entirely plausible outcomes), then it'll have counted for almost nothing. A couple of games against Basel and a boost to the coffers won't be worth much to the fans.

Despite what you say, most fans haven't bought so fully into the modern attitude that financial gains and CL qualification are worth more than silverware. Most fans still like to see their teams win trophies, thank god.

Careful, you're going to run out of exclamation marks. ;)

Obviously I'm not saying that I expect Liverpool to immediately succeed in the CL. I'm saying that you can't consider top four an achievement on par with winning the FA Cup, because if they go out in the group stages and can't stay in the top four next season (both entirely plausible outcomes), then it'll have counted for almost nothing. A couple of games against Basel and a boost to the coffers won't be worth much to the fans.

Despite what you say, most fans haven't bought so fully into the modern attitude that financial gains and CL qualification are worth more than trophies. Most fans still like to see their teams win trophies, thank god.

well sadly thats how football has gone weather me, you or any other fan likes it really!

Champions league qualification is essentially a trophy these days... Come on, are you really telling me you'd be happy sat in 7th (As Man Utd are currently) with an fa cup win (hypothetically speaking) over a 4th place finish and CL qualification a certainty? I'd find that hard to believe :lol:

Your missing the point, CL football brings prestige, glamour (even if it is crap matches again lesser known teams from smaller nations), it brings excitment and with it possibilities of signing better players from around the world...

Also: if CL Qualification wasn't such a big deal care to explain why it cost Moyes his job? lol for any club that deems itself a big successful club, CL football is deemed NECESSARY! Not a FA Cup win.

Kevin Nolan is a huge Liverpool fan plus Carroll and Downing are former Liverpool players.

There's enough potential narrative there to worry me.

Carroll and Downing probably hate Liverpool for how they were treated there.

The Time to Believe thread is open again so here's few gems:
I'm at an induction for transcendental meditation this evening while the game is on...they'll think I'm beyond help if I leave the building, check my phone, see villa won and start screaming me lungs out

Been thinking of Citys remaining games since I got back from Palace yesterday, and whether we can still do it. Anyway, driving into Liverpool City Centre this afternoon, puts the radio on in the car to hear Chris Rea singing, "Fool If You Think Its Over", its a sign I tell you, a sign!!!!!

My plan for this evening is to simply go into my son's bedroom, touch our 'This is Anfield' poster (same as I always do before our games), say a little prayer and then find something (anything) to do the next couple of hours as I sure as hell won't be watching. Will check the result at 10pm.

Did the same for their game vs Sunderland recently but made the mistake of checking the score and getting all excited that Sunderland were 2-1 up with mins to go only for them to go and equalise.

They're weird.

well sadly thats how football has gone weather me, you or any other fan likes it really!

Champions league qualification is essentially a trophy these days... Come on, are you really telling me you'd be happy sat in 7th (As Man Utd are currently) with an fa cup win (hypothetically speaking) over a 4th place finish and CL qualification a certainty? I'd find that hard to believe :lol:

No, of course not, but I wouldn't consider the fourth place finish an achievement. I certainly don't consider it 'essentially a trophy'. I'd be happy with it because I have faith that our team might be able to take the opportunities it presented, but it's valueless in and of itself. It's a means to an end. I could never take Wenger's view, that staying in the CL each season but winning nothing somehow constitutes a successful club. Silverware is success.

Try this one - if you offered Hull the choice between beating Arsenal in the FA Cup final or swapping the opportunity for a fourth place finish, what do you think they'd do? The CL spot doesn't mean much to them - they'll never get out of the group stages, and they're not going to maintain that top four place next season. They won't attract players just by merit of begin in the CL - players are attracted to quality teams - CL football is an indicator of that, but only when the team obviously has the quality to match it. Any sensible Hull fan will take the chance to go and watch their team win the FA Cup, and those who didn't would certainly do it in hindsight after seeing their team get battered by some CL minnows and then slip right back to where they were before.

As for 'glamour' and 'prestige'... I don't give two tosses about them. Prestige is just what other people think about your club. I'm proud to be a United fan, and what other people think of the club has little impact on that.

Bit harsh on Gerrard this. Rodgers got his tactics wrong, played into the classic Mourinho sucker-punch (if you disregard the first goal, this match could be in a 'Jose Mourinho Defensive Game Plans' textbook), and Liverpool never actually looked that much of a threat despite all that advanced possession. Ok, so Gerrard's shooting was impatient and a bit wasteful, but it's not as if Liverpool were doing anything useful with the possession anyway. I don't think they would have been any more likely to get anything out of the game if Gerrard hadn't taken all those shots. In a way, at least he was recognising the need for some sort of more direct plan B approach. He just didn't have one.

Possibly.

I felt however as the playmaker for Liverpool, Gerrard could have looked to find Suarez more often in that crowded penalty area rather than shooting. Jamie and Gary pointed out instances where Liverpool's attackers were in enough space to receive the ball into their feet and I think those passes combined with a good first touch by somebody like Suarez could have been more threatening than shots, and very well led to a goal.

Rodgers did get his preparation wrong however his tactics don't rely on Gerrard taking shots, that was down to him. His tactics tend to result in Gerrard getting the ball to the danger men in front of him and I do think he could have done that at the edge of the penalty area.

I might be over-rating Suarez a little but I just feel more passes into his feet would have led to something, and when at the edge of the area, that patience was important. Gerrard wasn't just the captain but playmaker also therefore his decision to take 8 shots in the second half as opposed to passing it around the penalty area patiently probing, looking for one of his attackers to find a little bit of space before the pass into their feet was costly.

Rodgers should have prepared them better so they were drilled for this however the captain and playmaker still needs to be adaptable and find ways to create chances. I suppose what I'm saying is that if that were Pirlo, Xavi or Xabi Alonso, they would be less likely to shoot and more likely to get the ball into the feet of one of their attackers, for this reason Gerrard's decisions decreased their chances to get that goal. To me, it seemed apparent he tried to force the goal however with the function he serves in the team, he should not have tried to force anything.