Rasmus Højlund | Signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
He combines qualities that are rear. To be tall, tenacious, quick and strong with decent techniques is not so common. Any striker with these combination will have an edge or two over most defenders. I think he'll be liked by fans same way Cavani was, he is raw though so he has rough edges. I hope he grows into a prolific striker here. We are due one.

I couldn't agree more. This part right here is so overlooked because people are too obsessed with how his technique isn't flawless or how he doesn't score a lot of goals. All of these traits combined can see him explode into a great striker.

Dodgy is an understatement. Ignoring any bonuses, if we assume that one player is paid 400k and the other 100k, the difference over three years is 45m+, then you have one player that is supposed to cost at least 40m if we assume that both are failures(base fee of 60m for Hojlund and 100 for Kane). Over three years with maybe have 85m between them.
Why do you think we could get Kane on 400k? That is 20 million a year, I think he’ll cost at least 30 million. Mbappé is on 72 million a year for example, Haaland on something like that as well.

With a resale value of Hojlund included, signing Kane might cost us more than five times per year.

Looking nailed on at this point.

I’m not even sure what we need after this signing but I’m sure we will end up bringing one or two more in. At least we are working fast this summer for a change.

Ideally Amrabat and yes I know he isn't the potential option in Lavia which many want. I still think IF we can sell Maguire we could sign Disasi too. Pavard also an option IF Walker stays at City meaning there is no space

This is getting closer. Sign Amrabat after this and that’s a very good window.

He’s getting caught looking at all the stories/posts about him and United on Instagram. This guy has his bags packed and his passport at the ready :lol:

Why do you think we could get Kane on 400k? That is 20 million a year, I think he’ll cost at least 30 million. Mbappé is on 72 million a year for example, Haaland on something like that as well.

With a resale value of Hojlund included, signing Kane might cost us more than five times per year.

I don't think anything it's a conservative guess. And the higher Kane's wage is the more obvious the point I made become, so go ahead and increase his wage.

[
I meant it as a response to the part where you said you'd rather we get a striker that is technically excellent.
Lewandowski isn't a great striker because he's technically excellent. He's great because he has everything you need as a striker to be world class.

There probably are some strikers that are technically excellent that we could get, but that wouldn't necessarily make them good strikers.

Plenty of strikers with less than exceptional technique do just fine in PL, such as Watkins and Toney.

Højlund is a technical player, but not close to Lewandowski, Agüero or Benzema. Of course it can be worked on, but he doesn't need to be exceptional to be a success here.
I disagree, being technically brilliant is what separates the best strikers from the rest, you kind of back that up with the list of players in your last paragraph.

If we aren’t signing a world class striker and instead are spending 70m on a young, raw striker then I’d want them to at least have the potential to be world class. We should be striking to have an exceptional striker as you put it.

Not saying he will, but if he fails at Utd, it will be a very high profile flop.

And this club is probably the worst at selling players in the PL if we’re honest.

I guess by then we may have different owners, but as it stands, if he flops here, I wouldn’t expect anything other than a very similar situation to Maguire / Sancho.

Well depends how much we initially pay and wages. Around 50m and wages based on improvements and bonuses, if he hits the ground running and becomes integral then redo the contract. I think he's shown enough already that has clubs interested and still will be for a few years. If we find he doesn't make the grade clubs will still want to take the chance in the 30-40m range. What we don't want is to hang onto him for too long and make desperate renewal contracts. Martial could've been sold for a decent price multiple times yet in the end we kept him for too long and paid him too much. Lingard could've been sold.

With ETH he wants to raise the squad bar and if a player isn't on the right level he's happy to replace. We've had numerous times with so many players over the years that we should've sold for good money but didn't.

Maguire is 30 and in my opinion with his size and already being slow was just about holding on the two reasonable years here and is just poor value, wrong type and we overpaid. I was incredulous at the wages we offered Sancho if true mind and there is other issues too long to go into.

He’s getting caught looking at all the stories/posts about him and United on Instagram. This guy has his bags packed and his passport at the ready :lol:

Bet you he is reading the Caf by this point. For good or for bad.

Score some facking goals next season, Rasmus!

Which has nothing to do with the point made. FFP or not FFP, few clubs are able to spend 180m let alone more than 180m in a single window. 180m is a lot of money for all clubs and not spending more has nothing to do with past spendings.

Disagree. If we didn’t waste money and overspend on average players such as Maguire, we would have more money in the pot for a world class striker.

[

I disagree, being technically brilliant is what separates the best strikers from the rest, you kind of back that up with the list of players in your last paragraph.

If we aren’t signing a world class striker and instead are spending 70m on a young, raw striker then I’d want them to at least have the potential to be world class.
Is Haaland technically brilliant?

Lewandowski at 20 was actually ridiculously talented. Granted he was playing in Poland but if you watch videos like this one you can see he had everything - fantastic ball striking technique, using the outside or inside of his right foot and ability to bend the ball or hit it flush, ability to use his weak foot when needed, elite heading technique and aerial ability, pace to run behind, composure in one on ones, ability to score both in transition and in crowded boxes.

Hojlund is a good striking prospect and he is facing a higher level of competition but he is not showing anywhere near the level of technique and ability to score different kinds of goals that Lewa showed at a similar age.
ahhh...0:47 and 2:04 are the gems.

Højlund seems more like a power forward. If Martial stays and stays fit (before you say something, I know), I see the two of them being absolutely different headache for defenders.
Now only if the finishing were on point!

Disagree. If we didn’t waste money and overspend on average players such as Maguire, we would have more money in the pot for a world class striker.

Yeah £115m they cost combined,could have slapped that down on table for Kane

So you are assuming that the club wouldn't spend the money on other players between 2019 and 2023? You also think that somehow a club ready to spend around 180m, is a sign of being caught up by past spendings?

I don't follow the rational.

Ive come to the conclusion EtH still heavily relies on his tie to Ajax and time in the Netherlands in general which makes me wonder if some of this interest here has to do because he showed up on Ajax' scouting interests before.

I remember listening to Gary Neville speak to Carragher saying that he thinks if they went elsewhere (Neville) they wouldn't have the same career, because it's them playing for that club and caring about the club that elevated them to the levels they go to.

I think being a fan of the club pushes you a bit harder since you care a lot outside of the money you get paid, its felt in recent times players get the payday and then think of it as "i've made it", the think Rasmus is a fan is a big deal I think.

[

If we aren’t signing a world class striker and instead are spending 70m on a young, raw striker then I’d want them to at least have the potential to be world class. We should be striking to have an exceptional striker as you put it.

That's not what I said. You can still be a great striker without being technically brilliant. If Lewandowski wasn't technically great, would you not consider him a great striker? It is not like he's on the level of Benzema in terms of technique.

Out of curiousity; do you not think Haaland is world class?

Also, Højlund has all the tools to be a world class striker, so £60m really isn't the end of the world. He's not going to be on Benzema's level, but then again, a young Benzema would go for £150m these days.

9 goals in 45 appearances last season doesn't thrill me, we can't be hanging our hat on a 20yr old raw recruit to fire us to the title surely, would have thought there must be another more experienced striker being lined up before the window closes.

I remember listening to Gary Neville speak to Carragher saying that he thinks if they went elsewhere (Neville) they wouldn't have the same career, because it's them playing for that club and caring about the club that elevated them to the levels they go to.

I think being a fan of the club pushes you a bit harder since you care a lot outside of the money you get paid, its felt in recent times players get the payday and then think of it as "i've made it", the think Rasmus is a fan is a big deal I think.

Yeah he will know that there are many elements of his game which need to be improved,however he is a big fan of the club so think that will drive him to improve further and prove doubters wrong

His touch is way better.

Touch is important and a natural ability that rarely improves dramatically.
Is it though there's a reason he doesn't get so involve in general play. It because he can't keep hold of it very well. See FA cup final as good example.
Haaland like Hojlund have very similar strength, Quick, Strong, Tenacious, tall. I'll argue from what I've seen Hojlund is the better build up player especially with his back to goal.

It was actually £64m with add ons that it seems quite likely he might not achieve.

And the poster I was replying to was suggesting that all CFs need to bought at this point, before they’ve had a blow up season.

Darwin being 22 and having just had a blow up season and then being sold for that amount is a very recent example of that being complete nonsense.
But for accounting purposes, it would be appropriate to report Nunez’s actual transfer fee which was €100m (€75 million plus €25 million add-ons).

Are there better alternatives to Hojlund for the reported €70 million? I don’t think any. With terms already agreed I reckon the Hojlund deal will be struck with €60 million plus €5 million add-ons. Risky but the right move getting a young striker in. ETH is gathering ingredients, ready to cook.

9 goals in 45 appearances last season doesn't thrill me, we can't be hanging our hat on a 20yr old raw recruit to fire us to the title surely, would have thought there must be another more experienced striker being lined up before the window closes.

Where did you get 9 goals in 45 appearances? At club level, he had 16 goals in 42 games(or 2551 minutes).

Well there isn't

Martial:wenger:

Haaland is a freak of nature and somewhat of an anomally. Majority of the best strikers over the past 20 years have been technically brilliant.

We don't need Højlund to be the best though, do we?

The alternatives that are being discussed are Toney, Watkins and Osimhen. Are they some of the best strikers ever?

[/QUOTE]

It was 15 goals in 38 appearances if we include internationals.

The 9 goals he scored were in 1800 minutes so he's averaging a goal every other game in his breakout season.

Makes me chuckle at all the negative people on here, as I recall around January when the caf was discussing strikers, loads were raving about him. This could have been because they’d watched him, or because they wanted to sound cool (I know what my opinion is). Now that it’s likely coming to fruition some of these very people are moaning.

Talks of Højlund to us for £60m. Kane will be more than £100m, closer to £110m in the unlikely event he sells to a PL club.

Not only that, but with Kane we don't get the option to sell him on, whereas we do with Højlund.
Let’s assume the following just so you see the analysis of how they price an asset like Harry Kane vs. Hojlund.

Revenue pre CL = 500m
Harry Kane £80m fee + 350k/wk, 4yr contract.
- 20m amortized transfer fee +18m/ yr wages = 38m
Assume CL all 4 years, with semifinals, quarters, rd of 16 and semifinals for CL revenue at 90m -80m - 70m - 90m
- 590m - 580m -570m -590m

Hojlund 60m fee + 150k/wk, 5 year contract
- 12m amortized fee + 7.8m wages = 20m
Assume CL 2 out of 4 years, rd of 16, no CL, group stage, no CL for CL revenue at 70m - 0m -60m-0m

Difference
Kane revenue +330m - costs 160m = 170m gain
Hojlund revenue +130m - costs 80m = 50m “gain”

Obviously, you’d choose Kane. Throw in other trophies and it’s even more compelling.

Exposing yourself as someone who has absolutely no idea

That's not what I said. You can still be a great striker without being technically brilliant. If Lewandowski wasn't technically great, would you not consider him a great striker? It is not like he's on the level of Benzema in terms of technique.

Out of curiousity; do you not think Haaland is world class?

Also, Højlund has all the tools to be a world class striker, so £60m really isn't the end of the world. He's not going to be on Benzema's level, but then again, a young Benzema would go for £150m these days.
You’ve highlighted one striker who isn’t technically outstanding and used that to justify your position. I’d still argue he’s technically better than Hojlund and also better at every other aspect of his game.

Henry, RVN, R9, Lewa, Benzema, Aguero, Suarez, RVP, Rooney, Zlatan, Kane..

All technically brilliant. Anyway, will leave it at that.

[

And what do you think ETH thinks about Hojlund? Is he buying him to become a mediocre player?

No, he thinks he has great potential. He would not buy a 20 year old he thinks has average potential or is only going to ever be serviceable. It's to become a top PL striker. Or even better a world class one.

And if they're raw as you put it, then obviously they're going to look raw on occasion. That's kind of the nature of the beast. If everything looked world class they'd be world class already. The recruitment team have to see past that and extrapolate and that's what they've done. He's exactly what you're asking for. A raw bundle of talent that needs moulding but has extreme potential.

Makes me chuckle at all the negative people on here, as I recall around January when the caf was discussing strikers, loads were raving about him. This could have been because they’d watched him, or because they wanted to sound cool (I know what my opinion is). Now that it’s likely coming to fruition some of these very people are moaning.

Many of them are just sore because we can't get Kane this summer due to a rivalry that Levy believes exists between the two clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.