View full 2023-24 profile

5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He seems quite good, much better than Wout. Every #9 seem can't score any goals under ETH, including the top scorer of this sport. All these facts indicate that ETH does not know how to utilize his strikers. Instead of allowing them to be explosive and focus on their natural attacking abilities, Our strikers are putting too much emphasis on pressing and running off the ball, which leads to them becoming fatigued quickly. This is a mistake, top strikers have to be ready for explosive runs until the last minute, managing their stamina, sharpness, power and leg through game after game is how every best strikers able to reach 25+ goals. It's their responsibility, not managers or coaches.

Needs service and the right type of service. More through balls that can allow him to run through on goal and get one on one with the keeper. The only time he’s been given that opportunity he scored but was from an opposition mistake.

How many assists did he get from Son?

Feckin loads!!!

Well someone has to give him the ball mate.

Main point is word class strikers score goals regardless of who’s around them. It’s why they are world class. Otherwise the best strikers would be this who get the most service only.

Ole joined us at 23. He was a natural striker. He just had that natural talent. I have not seen Hojlund show it yet. Hojlund has some traits more like VN.
Ole was also eased into the team and was often on the bench to start with, whereas Hojlund has been thrown straight in

Main point is word class strikers score goals regardless of who’s around them. It’s why they are world class. Otherwise the best strikers would be this who get the most service only.

That might be the issue here then.

Well it's obviously a combination as you couldn't put Weghorst up front for Bayern and have him score as many as Kane, but the best strikers in the world are those who get the most chances/have the most shots. The best strikers over the course of a career perform pretty close to their xG, which means that the best strikers are those who accumulate the most xG. That basically means that it's the strikers who have the best ability to find themselves in scoring positions, but it's not enough if they're not getting the ball from their team-mates in those positions where they can keep taking shots.

Which leads us back to Højlund and the fact that he's not getting the ball in positions where he can take shots and cause problems for the goalkeeper.

Feel like if he played for us last season he'd have scored plenty. Can't remember the last time he even had a shot.

Can imagine how much crap we'd be giving Haaland if he joined us instead, we'd be saying what a flop he was, our #9s get nothing

I like him, looks mobile, physical, up to the challenge of leading the line. It's everything around him in attack apart from Bruno that I despair about.

Well it's obviously a combination as you couldn't put Weghorst up front for Bayern and have him score as many as Kane, but the best strikers in the world are those who get the most chances/have the most shots. The best strikers over the course of a career perform pretty close to their xG, which means that the best strikers are those who accumulate the most xG. That basically means that it's the strikers who have the best ability to find themselves in scoring positions, but it's not enough if they're not getting the ball from their team-mates in those positions where they can keep taking shots.

Which leads us back to Højlund and the fact that he's not getting the ball in positions where he can take shots and cause problems for the goalkeeper.

Well considering on paper we have the best chance creator ever existed in Bruno Fernandes. Maybe Hojlunds runs aren’t good enough and his conversion rate needs to be better.

I’m being abit disingenuous to the guy but overall it’s abit stupid getting a 20 year old to lead our line who’s never got above 15 league goals in his life. I’m sure if we had a Vlahovic or Oshimen upfront. Even with our lack of chances they would have got off the mark in the league for the season.

Well considering on paper we have the best chance creator ever existed in Bruno Fernandes. Maybe Hojlunds runs aren’t good enough and his conversion rate needs to be better.

I’m being abit disingenuous to the guy but overall it’s abit stupid getting a 20 year old to lead our line who’s never got above 15 league goals in his life. I’m sure if we had a Vlahovic or Oshimen upfront. Even with our lack of chances they would have got off the mark in the league for the season.

Only in last game Bruno ignored his runs many times, his runs are fine, players decisions around him, not as much.

Is he making the runs but not being seen?
Yeah he's constantly making runs. Receiving lots of praise from ex strikers that he keeps going at it and has impressed... It's just our wingers are allergic to crossing and our system is horrible for chance creation.

I don't know what people expect from him: he's not a goalscoring machine, that's not his profile. He's a good dribbler, fast, determined and aggressive, he is tactically clever as we can see by his good reading of the match, but he seems to me to be one of those all-round attackers that will make your team play better. Pretty sure his attacking team mates appreciate his invaluable contribution with his offball work.

In the league, United are currently 12th for what is defined as "big chances" by Opta.

With regard to the Ronaldo comparison above, we were 5th at the end of his first and only full season. In his second season (him fecking off halfway through) we were 3rd.

It's blatantly obvious that Rasmus actually is "feeding on scraps" compared to what Ronaldo did.

Can imagine how much crap we'd be giving Haaland if he joined us instead, we'd be saying what a flop he was, our #9s get nothing
Literally this. You can see Haaland's limitations even at City when they play stronger teams and there's always a stat about how he has only had like 3 touches or something. I reckon we could play him and he wouldn't touch the ball for a whole game.

I don't know what people expect from him: he's not a goalscoring machine, that's not his profile.

That's right.

His overall game is his selling point at this stage, not his output.

He's 20 years old.

If he can keep developing that overall game (which is already impressive in several respects) AND increase the output, he'll be a monster of a player soon enough.

Doesn’t suit the system right now. We need a forward who’s quick on the counter and creates their own goals.
So you're basically saying we need 1996' Ronaldo.
Who were you thinking of?

Can't see any players in world football who fits that description right now unfortunately.

' In 10 league games, Rashford has created just four big chances and delivered 13 crosses -- hardly the kind of service required for a centre-forward. And Antony has fared even worse with no assists, two big chances created and just nine crosses in eight games.'

' Central midfielder Bruno Fernandes could be Ten Hag's best hope of unlocking Højlund's goal-scoring potential, however. Already this season, the United captain has delivered 74 crosses and created six big chances '

'He has missed six big chances, according to Premier League data, despite only having 11 shots all season. Only four of those 11 ended up hitting the target.'

It’s difficult to draw inferences either way. You normally hear managers say (about non-scoring forwards) ‘I’d bemore worried if he wasn’t getting the opportunities. If he keeps doing what he’s doing the goals will come’, or words to that effect. But this board has gone for the opposite view, that the fact that he’s not getting chances proves it’s not his fault he isn’t scoring. I think that’s a bit of a one-sided take. It’s not entirely his fault, but I don’t think he’s blameless either.

It’s difficult to draw inferences either way. You normally hear managers say (about non-scoring forwards) ‘I’d bemore worried if he wasn’t getting the opportunities. If he keeps doing what he’s doing the goals will come’, or words to that effect. But this board has gone for the opposite view, that the fact that he’s not getting chances proves it’s not his fault he isn’t scoring. I think that’s a bit of a one-sided take. It’s not entirely his fault, but I don’t think he’s blameless either.

This is basically all I’m trying to say. I wish when I use to play football… along time ago. I could turn round to my teammates, manager and blame their lack of creation to the reason why I have zero goals in 3 months.

Sometimes you find it’s always an issue until someone else turns up and shows you how it’s done.

This is basically all I’m trying to say. I wish when I use to play football… along time ago. I could turn round to my teammates, manager and blame their lack of creation to the reason why I have zero goals in 3 months.

Sometimes you find it’s always an issue until someone else turns up and shows you how it’s done.

The reason people are talking about the lack of chances is because of the claim that he is simply not good enough and if we had Haaland or Kane they would have scored banger after banger, basically completely ignoring the fact that our wingers and 10 dont really create anything for our strikers at the moment.

The reason people are talking about the lack of chances is because of the claim that he is simply not good enough and if we had Haaland or Kane they would have scored banger after banger, basically completely ignoring the fact that our wingers and 10 dont really create anything for our strikers at the moment.
Wonder where was this reasoning when Ronaldo was here and feeding off scraps.

Chance creation is directly correlated to the tactics. If we play slow build-up by having our wingers hold onto the ball, it gives time for the opposition to set up the low block and cut off passing lanes. Not to mention our players don't really do runs anymore.

Not sure which source they are using but by going simply by eye test, this doesn’t look that surprising

This is a horrid stat. This is the type of statistical conditions you'd expect Solanke at Bournemouth or Archer at Sheffield United to have to play under, not the starting no.9 for Manchester United! Really shows how helpless our play has been recently.

Like most caftards I’ve been watching football for decades and one inescapable fact of top strikers is that they don’t need perfect service to score goals. Forget the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and let’s just take two top strikers we all watched closely — Ruud and Rooney. They were not spoonfed perfect balls (not what you’re thinking!) but instead they scapped off a half chances and chances that they themselves created. We’ll see about Hojlund and I am huge admirer of him, but if he’s going to become another Ruud he cannot rely on perfect service.

Like most caftards I’ve been watching football for decades and one inescapable fact of top strikers is that they don’t need perfect service to score goals. Forget the likes of Messi and Ronaldo and let’s just take two top strikers we all watched closely — Ruud and Rooney. They were not spoonfed perfect balls (not what you’re thinking!) but instead they scapped off a half chances and chances that they themselves created. We’ll see about Hojlund and I am huge admirer of him, but if he’s going to become another Ruud he cannot rely on perfect service.
They do need some service though, otherwise you're just asking a guy to score overhead kicks from the halfway line every game.

Imagine coming from Gasperini's high-pressure pass and move tactics, which rely on attacking rotations, final third overloads, and third-man runs, to this mess of crap where your best chance of getting a sight of goal is the playmaking maestro and ever altruistic Marcus Rashford. But, didn't you know, RvN was able to make a chance out of poor service. Well, he was, and that's why he's one of the greats. But let's not forget that the guy who was brought in to (often) partner him up front had to wait 23 league games to get his first goal. That's not to show that it was one's fault or the other's, but an indication of how difficult it is to form a partnership when one partner involved wants most of the pie for himself. And back then we were actually good enough to create numerous chances and score bucket loads. It's a strange thing with some... They want the "modern stuff" that will take us closer to City and the rest, but they dislike and/or get easily frustrated with players who can support this type of football. What's your use if you can't fend for yourself, am i right?

I'm getting Baby Weghorse vibes

You can't have multiple one dimensional players in the front 3 and expect intuitive partnership, with Rashford, Antony and current Hojlund Utd have 3.. If we are committed to Rashford long term then the striker has to be someone who brings some of the creativity and selflessness that he lacks. Gabriel Jesus in an alternative universe were he stays fit would have been an excellent signing for Utd.

That is not a criticism of Hojlund, the composition of the team, in so many areas, was ill thought out.

Perfect? He is getting zero service.

I don't know what people expect from him: he's not a goalscoring machine, that's not his profile. He's a good dribbler, fast, determined and aggressive, he is tactically clever as we can see by his good reading of the match, but he seems to me to be one of those all-round attackers that will make your team play better. Pretty sure his attacking team mates appreciate his invaluable contribution with his offball work.

Yeah he seems to be a good mix of someone like Ruud who you have to play through and someone who can play in a fluid front 3. The problem is our front 3 is anything but fluid. Rashford and Antony are both heavily reliant on the same trick and overlapping fullbacks. Neither of which are working for us right now. Rasmus is a good buy for his physicality and pace alone. If we can get at least one player back in creative form he should hit a decent amount of goals. I think it’s unfair to blame Mount and Rasmus as they are just in the door and have shown flashes of what they can offer, even in a dysfunctional team. It’s the players who’ve been here for years who are really letting the manager down

Yeah he seems to be a good mix of someone like Ruud who you have to play through and someone who can play in a fluid front 3. The problem is our front 3 is anything but fluid. Rashford and Antony are both heavily reliant on the same trick and overlapping fullbacks. Neither of which are working for us right now. Rasmus is a good buy for his physicality and pace alone. If we can get at least one player back in creative form he should hit a decent amount of goals. I think it’s unfair to blame Mount and Rasmus as they are just in the door and have shown flashes of what they can offer, even in a dysfunctional team. It’s the players who’ve been here for years who are really letting the manager down
Rashford, Martial, and a certain someone used to play fluidly just a few years ago.

It's the tactics.

Think Højlund needs to come out of the side for a little bit. I’d like to see him get a run of sub appearances, when he can come on and have a very focussed 25-30 minutes. It feels as if we are running him into the ground for no upside, as he is barely getting a shot off as things stand. Let Martial due some of the graft and then inject a fresh Højlund on later on to change things.

Take advantage of Martial being fit, because we will sure as hell need Højlund when Martial is inevitably injured again.
Sounds about correct at this stage.

Rashford, Martial, and a certain someone used to play fluidly just a few years ago.

It's the tactics.

I think you have a point but that all went out the window with ronaldo so I also think personnel actually has very big bearing on it all. Before Ron Bruno was laying balls to run onto all over the shop for the three and shooting a lot himself. He turned into a serial crosser with Ronaldo. If ole had been able to get 2 aggressive box to box players who could ball (Bellingham and Caciedo?) and a playmaker instead of Ronaldo (and Martial wasn’t made of glass and MG wasn’t a terrible human… and so on) I think his team would have peaked harder and for longer than it ultimately did.

mVTrBNX.jpg

100th. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.