Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont be weird. United do not have unlimited finances! 50 million on a defender with one year on his contract is a lot. Still Im sure not that many people are complaining. Its a good deal if it guarantees not having to see Lindelof get bullied every year by Burnley in the air.

If he had 3 years on his contract he'd be worth signficantly more than 50 million euros. He's one of the best and most experienced CB's in World football. Of course he's not going to be cheap. But we'd still be paying less than Arsenal are paying for Ben White and I know who I'd rather have!

I'm not sure what people are after in a transfer guru?

We don't like it when they make shit up, but we also don't like it when they wait for concrete information to tell us stuff either. Basically, if you're not able to guess stuff correctly 100% of the time, we don't want you.

OK here is my take. United are interested in Messi. Salary is not a problem. Player is considering the offer but he's still in contact with Barcelona. PSG, Juventus and City are interested as well and unless United move quickly on him then other big clubs might join the race as well. Messi is also considering retiring in America either the MLS or Argentina.

Can you see what I am doing here? It basically covers every possibility. He can join United, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus and since this won't be sorted in matter of hours then there is a leeway for other clubs to pop in and sign the player

OK here is my take. United are interested in Messi. Salary is not a problem. Player is considering the offer but he's still in contact with Barcelona. PSG, Juventus and City are interested as well and unless United move quickly on him then other big clubs might join the race as well. Messi is also considering retiring in America either the MLS or Argentina.

Can you see what I am doing here? It basically covers every possibility. He can join United, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus and since this won't be sorted in matter of hours then there is a leeway for other clubs to pop in and sign the player

Has Romano done that in this Varane situation? Maybe I'm wrong and there are a load of tweets where he's hedged his bets, but from the ones I've seen he's been pretty consistent.

He was saying Varane was our first choice for CB back in May.

I suppose it's a game of opinions. From where I'm sitting it looks like the team's practically done, barring a midfielder.
Yes, we should be challenging really, in theory. I'm just saying football often doesn't work like that and the way we play doesn't suggest a complete team.

Seems a lot of money for somebody we could make an agreement with over a free transfer in 6 months. I would wait.
And go through another season of same defense? And if we don't get CL, he might easily chose some other club.

Seems a lot of money for somebody we could make an agreement with over a free transfer in 6 months. I would wait.
Not much point missing out on him for the sake of saving money for next season, a year as captain of Madrid might be enough to change his mind about leaving. Our rivals won't be standing still so we shouldn't either.

I'm not convinced he's as good as some seem to think. He had a lot of early promise but I've seen him look a bit shaky like you don't normally see from top defenders. I think those that call him elite still remember the early hype plus the fact he's been at Real. His performance vs City was a shocker, which sticks in my mind. The money being discussed isn't a lot and the other options seem to be going elsewhere (Inc Real to replace Varane).

Not to mention I'm always sceptical when a top club wants to sell a player. Only really Robben did great after leaving them.

Not to mention I'm always sceptical when a top club wants to sell a player. Only really Robben did great after leaving them.
Real don't want to sell him. They've been offering him new contracts for two years and from all reports he's literally just ignored them as he's wanted to move elsewhere. Rumours were they even offered him the captaincy if he stayed.

They only 'want to sell him' if it's a straight choice between getting decent money for him now or losing him on a free in 12 months.

I'm not convinced he's as good as some seem to think. He had a lot of early promise but I've seen him look a bit shaky like you don't normally see from top defenders. I think those that call him elite still remember the early hype plus the fact he's been at Real. His performance vs City was a shocker, which sticks in my mind. The money being discussed isn't a lot and the other options seem to be going elsewhere (Inc Real to replace Varane).

Real don't want to sell him and you're picking one game from hundreds he's played for Madrid? That's like me saying VVD is shit because of the 7-2 Villa game

Whoever Real do replace him with won't be as good as him I can guarantee that

Hmm not sure that's true. Didn't Sneijder play for them?

And sneijder and ozil and khadeira and Ronaldo

Forget how good or bad Varane is. Give me a better option than Varane for the reported money. We need someone experienced to come and partner Harry. So what would be your options ?

58m for a player with 1 year left on his contract at a broke club :lol:

I really struggle to believe this.
58 Million is a guessing game just as the Sancho fee rumours.

If Varane had not run down the contract I highly doubt Madrid would have considered selling him. If Varane was on a longer contract United would not have been able to give Varane the sweet deal and the high transfer fee Madrid would have wanted. There are also no assurances Varane would have chosen United had we waited. Anyway, there's no such thing as a free transfer.

58 Million is a guessing game just as the Sancho fee rumours.

If Varane had not run down the contract I highly doubt Madrid would have considered selling him. If Varane was on a longer contract United would not have been able to give Varane the sweet deal and the high transfer fee Madrid would have wanted. There are also no assurances Varane would have chosen United had we waited. Anyway, there's no such thing as a free transfer.

Are free transfers a myth now :p

Every defender has shaky games.

Raphie,

We know you have been reading this and you can clearly see some Man Utd fans are doubting your abilities. You will be appreciated at Chelsea. All the fans love you, sorry about Puli clanking in that goal off your shoulder in the CL. You can have number 4!!!

seriously, the dude is class and no sign of decline. I bet he has another 4-6 year left in the tank.

Raphie,

We know you have been reading this and you can clearly see some Man Utd fans are doubting your abilities. You will be appreciated at Chelsea. All the fans love you, sorry about Puli clanking in that goal off your shoulder in the CL. You can have number 4!!!

seriously, the dude is class and no sign of decline. I bet he has another 4-6 year left in the tank.

Sadly the Redcafe experts don't approve of him and think he's not much of an upgrade on Lindelof.

The same experts made some incredible posts on Cavani (see first few pages)

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/edinson-cavani-signed-for-united.457783/page-2

58m for a player with 1 year left on his contract at a broke club :lol:

I really struggle to believe this.
Think they made a (small) profit for the 20/21 financial year? Which had huge Covid impact.

Got a lot of debt but don't think lots of short term debt and doing ok with salary cap by La Liga (Ramos leaving helped).

Snijder won the treble with Inter and reached WC final after leaving them.
Walter Samuel & Esteban Cambiasso had a successful careers after leaving RM

even CR7 won few trophies after leaving them.

not all players who Madrid are willing to sell are shite, they sold Makalele who was the best DM back then.

Have we unveiled Sancho yet? If not imagine a double unveiling of these two. Dare I dream?
The unveiling will be Sancho signing his contract and afterwards he passes the pen to someone off screen to sign theirs….
Its only bloody Varane!

People mentioning the price is too much - please do tell who would you rather have ? Or you would rather sign no one ?

Fyi - Arsenal is paying 50 for White. Liverpool paid 35m for a sick note. City paid 65m for Dias.

Status
Not open for further replies.