Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Varane I'd argue we're a stronger side than Madrid. Probably even Barca too with the way they've been run. We've put together a very, very good team.
Yeah... let's wait and see. When we signed Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan in the summer of 2016, we all thought we had a very good team on our hands. Then we finished 6th.

With Varane I'd argue we're a stronger side than Madrid. Probably even Barca too with the way they've been run. We've put together a very, very good team.

Aye, to call it a “step down” doesn’t even begin to tell the full story, in fact, I’d imagine a team with Varane and Sancho would be favourites against the current Real Madrid squad.

Why do you people talk as if it’s your money? You moan about the glazers for being stingy, then when they drop £50m on a defender it’s all “oh that’s a bit much” sounds like you’re just looking to moan regardless.

Just need to keep boosting the midfield options and find that long term focal point up front and we are looking as good as anybody else out there

Finally! :drool:

The recruitment since Ole came in has been superb

Hang on it's originally coming from RaiSport.

Why would Italian press get the scoop on this?

According to the Spaniards of ABC , the two companies have reached an agreement for the transfer of the 28-year-old French defender and are preparing to close an operation that will bring 58 million euros into the coffers of the blancos . For the player, a salary of 12 million euros per season, 5 more than those offered by Real in the renewal proposal. In 10 years and 360 games, 18 titles won by Varane with the Madrid shirt.

Seems to be a shit source any way. Tier 4 on https://rm-reddit.github.io/

Once again, in a much poorer league. A very important fact you keep missing.
For me and you it’s a much inferior league, but I’m not sure all players see it that way, Spanish league has a lot of prestige and recent huge history. I still stand that from a sporting point of view to constantly challenge for La Liga and occasionally win it is better than top4, never a chance to win Premier League finishes. Talking about the last few years here - not the future.

I’m not sure we are stronger but it is indeed a very very strong side we’ve put together.

I hope Ole gets the credit he deserves for this rebuild and for making us competitive again, it’s been a major reason why I’ve backed him throughout. I appreciate its not entirely his doing but he’s overseen it and has been the mainstay from the start.

For me and you it’s a much inferior league, but I’m not sure all players see it that way,

They can see it how they like, but right now, it’s clearly the inferior league. This isn’t about a perception, it’s about the fact that the PL right now is the strongest league in Europe by a fair distance.
It’d be as silly as arguing the opposite around 2016.

Seems to be a shit source any way. Tier 4 on https://rm-reddit.github.io/

And they're not the actual source. That Madrid fan twitter account saying ABC have said it is the source. I can put [BBC] on this fecking post. It doesn't mean Phil McNulty is responsible for the contents. Why is this so hard for people? :lol:

Is he essentially what bailly would be if he was fit, which actually means he isn’t Bailly at all but you can see what I’m getting at?
I'm not as sold an Varane as others but when will this myth that Bailly is brilliant 'when fit' ever end?

He’s plenty faster than Lindelöf who himself rarely has to cover for Maguire, the myth that Maguire needs some speed demon next to him needs to die.
Oh for sure. Maguire is almost never beaten at pace beacue he's a damn good defender, not because he's fast. But this would also allow us to play higher line like we did with Bailly a few times, so it does change a lot.

He is touted as one of the best, almost 10 years ago we paid £30m for van Persie who had only ever really had one injury free season and eventually and really played one season for us at a top level. £50 million for Varane at 28 is a good deal regardless how you look at it. If you’re looking at this financially, then we could offer him a 5 years contract and potentially sell him for a similar fee in 2 years.

Varane would be worth circa 70-80 million if he had a 5 year contract which is exactly his worth when he signs a 5 year contract for us.

AWB, Maguire, Bruno.

James, VDB not so good yet but the money reflects the risk.

Sancho at £73 million though is an absolute steel, when the market recovers he’ll be worth easily £120 million maybe more with premier league experience, with his ability he shouldn’t have a problem. We’ve been brilliant in the transfer market since Ole arrived, buying players who want to play for us and have the appetite to play for us.

Sorry who's paying £80m for a 30 year old CB on massive wages who's not even top 10 in the world? Well, I suppose it's possible he will be in 2 years if all the actual world class CBs like Chiellini, Godin, Ramos and Thiago Silva retire perhaps, but even still. We paid that money for a 25 year old who's a better player and came with English tax and everyone said we overpaid.

Worse still, it turns out they didn't even report it in the first place

I never believe those tier 4 or below. Tier 4 normally just allow themselves to be quoted to attract attention/views. Tier 3 is the best possible I can have faith in and even those Tier 3 I only going for the selective ones that have been reliable lately.

Why do you people talk as if it’s your money? You moan about the glazers for being stingy, then when they drop £50m on a defender it’s all “oh that’s a bit much” sounds like you’re just looking to moan regardless.
That's a weird argument unless your club has unlimited funds — as every transfer fee influences
1. the amount that the club can spend on other transfers
2. the inflation or deflation of the future transfer fees — for example, we've overpaid for years after paying over the top for Fellaini/Mata/AWB/Maguire (on a separate note, paying over the top doesn't equal a bad transfer if anyone's going to be triggered at Maguire)

Yeah... let's wait and see. When we signed Pogba, Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan in the summer of 2016, we all thought we had a very good team on our hands. Then we finished 6th.
I mean, even you have to know the situations aren't even remotely comparable. Varane and Sancho are coming into a nearly completed squad who've had a clear and obvious progression every season for the last few years.

He’s plenty faster than Lindelöf who himself rarely has to cover for Maguire, the myth that Maguire needs some speed demon next to him needs to die.
Maguire doesn't get beaten by pace because our overly negative system with 2 holding midfielders and a deep-ish defensive line (not quite coincidently, England played the same way) protects him from that most of the time. He is a good defender, but him struggling against pace is not a myth and we've seen that multiple times when Ole tried to experiment. Signing Varane (and, ideally, a great defensive midfielder) should massively help us with that.

Well that was due to team morale more than anything. This is a very different side in terms of spirit, not having a civil war.

Status
Not open for further replies.