Raphael Varane | Signed for United!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a major reason I doubted he would want to come to us is because I associate Madrid players to have a big ego. And seeing as we haven't won a cup and the league in years I didn't think he'd be interested. But Varane is actually a humble level headed chilled player

He's great in the air in Spain though. Different beast than the PL. Still though, he should be able to compete,hold his own and not be targeted like Lindelof was.
Have you not seen him head in the Champions League?? Man is dominant in the air. It’s lazy from a lot of fans to point to that one game against City. By that logic Vidic is shite after Torres at OT. Varane is a world class centre back. People who have watched him consistently over 10 years all know this.

As recently as a few months ago, people looked at Maguire as “decent”. Now all of a sudden he’s one of the best. Harry carried the United damned defence on his great big forehead.

The club is in a difficult position. Pay 400k over the length of his new extension, say at a cost of 80 million. If United had to replace a player of similar quality at around say 60 Million and a salary of 200k that would end up costing United 100 million over 4 years.
Its more the knock on effect of what it does for other players negotiating salaries, even new players coming into the club will then ask for a premium wage packet.
The likes of Bruno should be on a lot more than what he is, id say at least 300k a week, I would consider him more valuable than Pogba and should be paid more to reflect that.

Have you not seen him head in the Champions League?? Man is dominant in the air. It’s lazy from a lot of fans to point to that one game against City. By that logic Vidic is shite after Torres at OT. Varane is a world class centre back. People who have watched him consistently over 10 years all know this.

As recently as a few months ago, people looked at Maguire as “decent”. Now all of a sudden he’s one of the best. Harry carried the United damned defence on his great big forehead.
I've not said he's awful in the air have I? I even mentioned that he should still be good enough in the PL.

I like Varane but don’t like the idea of spending close to 60m on a 28 year old. I am sure the wages would not be insignificant. Yes, if he can give us 4-5 years as one of the top 5 CBs in the world, then that money is pittance. However, history has shown that transfers don’t always go to plan and having expensive and hard to get rid players can be catastrophic (Hazard, Coutinho, Griezmann, Pjanic etc). This doesn’t necessarily mean that he won’t be able to adapt but could be unforeseen risk like injury etc.

As an alternative, I have suggested Tapsoba. He is going to cost the same or similar but is 23 years old and will accept lower wages. If he flops, we have a better chance of getting rid because of his wages and age.

When was the last time we signed someone from Real Madrid? I'm really skeptical about all of this. Is he pulling a Ramos on us?

Having said that, hope we throw all the money we can at him. Varane-Maguire instead of Lindelof-Maguire will instantly turn us into a genuine title challengers.

:D

Not for the first time that I'd be horribly wrong. I was super excited about Sanchez for example, thought he'd be a nailed on success.

I love doing these little searches, but if someone ever does one back on me I'll be absolutely screwed!

I thought Anderson was nailed on for the Balon D'Or at one stage.

I've not said he's awful in the air have I? I even mentioned that he should still be good enough in the PL.
What’s funny is that you say “should still be good enough” in the PL. As if that wasn’t overwhelmingly obvious from his body of work over 10 years at a giant club playing elite football. The physical trait of being strong in the air translates across all leagues. Otherwise Ruben Dias should have had no chance. Thiago Silva wouldn’t have standed a chance. I’m saying you’re looking at heading - the concept - completely wrong.

I agree with all of that (I think - there was a lot of it). But I think that shows that it's not a perfect science for someone like Romano and on occasion he's going to be fed some wrong information. Where we differ is that you think he has absolutely zero contact with people inside clubs where I think he obviously does.

It's a different world to the days you spoke of where Fergie or Edwards would let slip a few truths over a beer, and these journalists serve a purpose for the clubs. For every transfer where it is essential to keep things hush, there are a few other more straightforward deals where clubs can throw someone like Romano a bone in order to use them for their own agenda in the future.

There are clearly loads of spoofers, just covering all the angles and looking for clicks, but I don't see that with Romano. I don't think he's hedged his bets on this Varane deal for instance. He has just released what he's heard as he's heard it, firstly that Varane was our first choice, then that Varane was interested in a new challenge and signing for United, and then that Madrid were prepared to negotiate.

I love that Fergie and Edwards story by the way. Sure beats my memories of following United transfer deals on Teletext during rainy summer days. I'll never forget refreshing the page to check had Ronaldinho signed and the shock of seeing the Barca headline pop up!

As said I have mates of mine who are close to Sir Alex. I mean they visit him at his home, they are treated as royalty whenever they visit the club, former players visit them regularly, they were inviting to Gaz and Becks wedding and they were able to get away with one or two things that I can't say on a public forum but would shock you. In the past 20 years or so, they weren't able to get inside information about whom we're signing. The likes of Gaz and Becks wouldn't know whom we're signing and that despite their friendship with Ole.

These leaks are intentional and are perpetrated by the buyer, the seller or the agent to generate interest or/and unsettle the player. 90% of the rest is proper guess work. It ain't that difficult either. I mean you only have to know how much money the club in question usually spend, which positions they need to strengthen, the players they had already bought and the small pool of players with the right talent that can fit in. Take United as an example. We're decent spenders but we don't tend to go silly. We already spent 80m on Sancho which means that we have around 50m-60m for a CB. How many players fits that criteria? Romano had identified 4 ie Varane, Romero, Kounde and Pau Torres. That's probably all the names of top quality CBs that are available at around that fee bracket. Then all they have to do is just wait for the leaks. If there's enough journalists being fed the same information about the same player then he is probably the main target.

I'm mostly sceptical because of the big intangible: motivation. It seems obvious that Madrid and France have reached the end of their cycle, the elite players have lost that edge, and Varane's a very visible part of both. There really isn't any evidence that United has the kind of atmosphere to turn that around, and there is historical evidence that we're quite good at doing the opposite.

If he was able to get that edge back then I'd be delighted. Such a good partner for someone like Maguire on paper. But for Varane, United is a step down from Real, Manchester is a step down from Madrid, Ole is a step down from Zidane. The only thing we have in our favour at the moment is a group of players that are mostly on the up, and Varane could relish the role of leading them from challengers to winners, in a way that Ramos did for him.

The idea that he'll be motivated by a new challenge by default is just not true unfortunately. He could be coming here for a pay day, he could be coming here to have less pressure, he could just be coming here because he's being forced out and no-one else can afford him. We've had all three scenarios before with big names coming from bigger European clubs and ultimately being a disappointment as a result. I think people ignore that because accepting it would mean acknowledging the fact United are not a top-tier club for elite players outside the UK. Sir Alex recognised that and tailored his transfer strategy accordingly, since then people like Woodward have ignored that reality and been stung multiple times.
Wholeheartedly agree. Remember people were getting super excited with Di Maria, Sanchez or Schweinsteiger only to later say it was poor planning by the club, which it was, and that they wouldn't have signed them.

This does feel like that.

No they didn’t. The strongest league in Europe, by some distance, had both final teams again, for the second time in 3 years, which is my point.
Varane wouldn’t be taking a step down, he’d be coming to the strongest league in Europe.
CL semi final sorry. Granted the PL is the number 1 at the moment, there are far more metrics than just the quality of the league you play in.

I think a major reason I doubted he would want to come to us is because I associate Madrid players to have a big ego. And seeing as we haven't won a cup and the league in years I didn't think he'd be interested. But Varane is actually a humble level headed chilled player
United have also been knocking on his door step ever since he was at Lens, so I genuinely think he wanted to come until Zidane and Madrid have him a call he could not refuse. Now he’s still young enough to explore the road not taken.

It basically took Maguire to be out injured for a month for people to see how good he was.

Varane is as good as Smalling when defending and better on the ball.

If Smalling was any good on the ball he'd still be at United.... but he was hot trash.

A back 4 of the current Shaw, Maguire, Varane and AWB would be tough to score against. I want to see this.

Wholeheartedly agree. Remember people were getting super excited with Di Maria, Sanchez or Schweinsteiger only to later say it was poor planning by the club, which it was, and that they wouldn't have signed them.

This does feel like that.
It actually feels like the most shrewd piece of business of the summer. Picking up an elite CB for a good price. Each to their own.

Varane is as good as Smalling when defending and better on the ball.

If Smalling was any good on the ball he'd still be at United.... but he was hot trash.

A back 4 of the current Shaw, Maguire, Varane and AWB would be tough to score against. I want to see this.
Smalling and Varane are barely even comparable. Smalling was one of the worst technical players ever to play for the club. He was a good athlete, but had a lot of weaknesses in his game. Varane is elite. Strong, fast, intelligent, brave and great on the ball. Maguire and Varane is legit potentially one of the best CD partnerships in europe.

Never mind comparing Varane to Lindelof.

We were fortunate Maguire was injury-free nearly all season. Just imagine a longer-term injury for Maguire? There is no way we would have managed second place. Varane would command and replace Maguire if injured and is an upgrade on Lindelof and Bailly in the first eleven.
Hes an upgrade on all our CBs

I like Varane but don’t like the idea of spending close to 60m on a 28 year old. I am sure the wages would not be insignificant. Yes, if he can give us 4-5 years as one of the top 5 CBs in the world, then that money is pittance. However, history has shown that transfers don’t always go to plan and having expensive and hard to get rid players can be catastrophic (Hazard, Coutinho, Griezmann, Pjanic etc). This doesn’t necessarily mean that he won’t be able to adapt but could be unforeseen risk like injury etc.

As an alternative, I have suggested Tapsoba. He is going to cost the same or similar but is 23 years old and will accept lower wages. If he flops, we have a better chance of getting rid because of his wages and age.

Most reports are suggesting it will be around 45-50 million €, not more.
To put things into perspective looking at our potential backline Shaw - Maguire - Varane - AWB that would mean only Shaw cost us less money in transfer fee and that was 7 years ago when Luke was 18 year old kid. Going further through our team all of Fred, Bruno, Pogba, Sancho, Martial cost us more... In this context you can't even put him in that group of big money transfers or look at it as such.

50 million€ is more then reasonable price for a player of Varane quality with a year left on his contract as just 2 years ago we could have only dream of such a deal. Now, every transfer can go south and Varane isn't immune to occasional brainfart moment, but objectively looking this is a potentially great deal for us in a position we really needed to improve.

"If he flops, he flops" - as great Ivan Drago would say*

*meaning tough luck on our side and shit happens.
Something like Thiago to Liverpool as very few people saw that coming. A transfer which is far more comparable to this one in terms of money (fee + wages) then Hazard, Coutinho, Griezmann etc

Have you not seen him head in the Champions League?? Man is dominant in the air. Varane is a world class centre back. People who have watched him consistently over 10 years all know this.

@giorno you may have posted and I've missed it, but as a long-term RM fan, can you summarise Varanes pros and cons, and how you think he'll fair if he came to United/the PL.

Random graphics (from various points over the last couple of years) to back up the point that Varane is good in the air:

EWI_fcKUwAAh0kW

Eu2Xn9HVcAAHuab

E3pIkehVcAIW10F

If I'm curious about anything it's exactly how excellent he is on the ball:

EVgo4Z0U0AACogs

Eu2ZmrPVoAAYU2H

E3pIE1_VIAAHBdK

He isn't great on the ball though, Torres is miles better in that regard and the stats show that. However he is a beast in the air and a strong, fast defender.

i think Varane is going to sign with United which is going to be fcking brilliant for the club. He's a CB reachign the prime years of his career. 5 yr deal will put him at 33 when his contract expires which i'd say is right at ideal.

i do think as well this may have a knock on effect with the Pogba contract and whether or not they decide to move him on instead of paying him big wages OR they move DeGea on because he's on high wages.

He isn't great on the ball though, Torres is miles better in that regard and the stats show that. However he is a beast in the air and a strong, fast defender.
We seen in the Euros that Torres is very shaky. We need defenders who are good at defending imo.

Massive improvement to our squad if we get him. His strength and speed will fit so well in the PL.

He's gonna sign a new contract, isnt he?
This is Ramos saga all over again
Seems like Real are calling his bluff - they've clearly learned from the Ronaldo/Ramos contract sagas themselves and seem to be refusing to increase their renewal offer to him; maybe even going as far to meet with us depending on who you believe - Varane will look very silly when he renews with them on the same terms they offered him weeks ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.