Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the excuses for Ralf that are based on him not being a permanent appointment, do remember we've had a caretaker manager before, quite recently actually. He took over a side that was awful and achieved the "new manager bounce", then turned that bounce into a run of good form.

The evidence is that Ralf is out of his depth. No surprise given his achievements in the game are average and limited.

Not that I’m defending Rangnick, but the caretaker manager was a welcome relief in the players’ eyes from the experienced manager who was sacked and the players responded in kind. This time, they don’t give a shit.

Rangnick has been fine but been a let down in terms of style of play. Seems the player couldn't be bothered buying into his ideas when they knew he was leaving anyway. Don't see a clear style of play.

In training Rangnick will have been distilling a better pressing mentality into the squad, which takes time to implement. This should put the team in good stead for when Ten Haag comes in. Better to have a temporary manager trying to install tactics similar to the next permanent manager and have average results than someone like Carrick having the team tread water with a few better results but leaving more work to be done long term for the next manager.

The players aren't very good in general and the manager isn't a top manager

It's a recipe for boring average cake and that's exactly what we get

Team needs 80% new players and a new manager as a catalyst for change

I'm not. But if you're playing 442 when you only have 2 semi-strikers (Elanga and Rashford), why the feck are neither of them up front?
Guess you can see why he was on the bench now?

Yep, from odds on for top 4 when he took over to next to no chance with 8 games left.

Too many players fell apart when they were asked to run more. Rashford, Pogba, Martial all pathetic. Ronaldo in his worst run since he was young. We were also majorly dependant on Greenwoods creativity since last season. He is a big miss. AWB was also a naughty boy. The club is just a disaster behind the scenes because we have given so much power to players who really aren’t fit for purpose and they don’t look like they enjoy playing with each other at all. I don’t think any manager gets us top 4 while trying to change the style and not sucking up to the players. Fred Bruno and Sancho look like the only ones who will be able to keep it going in a pressing team. At least we all know now. We are miles behind the best teams. The players need hanging out to dry

I just wonder how many of these players will start (or show) for the new guy next season?

The guy just isn't a very good coach and the leaks from the changing room are probably true.

Hopefully he's better in his consultancy role.

Can see why he functioned well as a DOF as he seems to have a clear idea of how things should function on a big picture level.

As a manager though? Well there's a reason he's only here in an interim capacity. The trick is to not put yourself in a position where you have to pick an interim manager from a host of average options.

He's not wrong is he?

Too many players fell apart when they were asked to run more. Rashford, Pogba, Martial all pathetic. Ronaldo in his worst run since he was young. We were also majorly dependant on Greenwoods creativity since last season. He is a big miss. AWB was also a naughty boy. The club is just a disaster behind the scenes because we have given so much power to players who really aren’t fit for purpose and they don’t look like they enjoy playing with each other at all. I don’t think any manager gets us top 4 while trying to change the style and not sucking up to the players. Fred Bruno and Sancho look like the only ones who will be able to keep it going in a pressing team. At least we all know now. We are miles behind the best teams. The players need hanging out to dry
Next season will be more of the same whoever we bring in without 4/5 new starters.

Ralf has met a lot of resistance it seems since joining, and we're just set up like before hoping to scramble a goal whilst crapping ourselves at the back. Even Carrick when leaving was saying he doesn't believe in the pressing style, the players don't want it either.

Resetting the attitudes and playing staff will take a long time. I hope the next manager can be supported well and is not just out there on his own expecting to pull magic tricks. It takes a year or two of dedication and even careful planning and recruitment like Pool and City have shown.

Ten Hag could be the right man at the wrong club if we keep rewarding absolutely dire performances for a year through marketing and lost family notions.

Not that I’m defending Rangnick, but the caretaker manager was a welcome relief in the players’ eyes from the experienced manager who was sacked and the players responded in kind. This time, they don’t give a shit.

That bounce lasted for a while, but in the end that season we had one of the worst runs in our final games. People tend to forget this because we humiliated Cardiff and Huddersfield.

Yep, from odds on for top 4 when he took over to next to no chance with 8 games left.

Tactically we’re pretty rubbish. As open at the back as we’ve always been and completely impotent in attack. We can’t even manage “individual brilliance” now, probably because his man management of the squad has been poor since his arrival. The squad look like they don’t give a shit yea, but a part of that is on him.

Its a tough ask to be an interim manager. Not sure what you can take from his half season here. There were some good signs, some bad luck at points but ultimately it was tough to salvage the season from how we were and the shit that happened over the year.

He's not wrong is he?

Nope, he's completely right and I hope the club listen to him.

Having that idea of how things should be run is what he's good at though, which is why his rep is as a DOF. Not so much actually being a manager at our level.

Nope, he's completely right and I hope the club listen to him.

Having that idea of how things should be run is what he's good at though, which is why his rep is as a DOF. Not so much actually being a manager at our level.

Too many players who can't be arsed. Looks like Ralf's given up on them and all.

I don't think you can make a case for him being a success here as a coach, in fact he has been a disappointment. Hopefully he will have an impact in his new role next year.

Also don't understand why he doesn't include more youth players in the squad, nothing to lose here. We have nothing to play for and those players have been a disgrace, yet play every game.

Players have given up since we got knocked out of the CL. The rest of the games will follow a similar pattern as today. I am not trying to back Rangnick, but the season is over. The players know it and the fans know it.

I think most of us are just happy that he is a 'footballing guy' and to have him in the backroom. Other than that, he's several levels below

Said this a few weeks ago. He does not know what he’s doing. Completely out of his depth. Ralph is definitely NOT the answer. Manchester United playing like that? Feck me. Disgraceful. So depressing now we are unlikely to catch Arsenal now.

It's an impossible task. He could play on the counter but that's not what we want to do going forward. He's trying to instill a new way of playing, and he has to work with what he has.

I think he would say he's disappointed in private, players of this profile should be able to do more in this system. That being said, he's given up on pressing all game, we used to press for 30 minutes then give up, but we're not doing that anymore.

Is gonna be a massive clear out.

Give me individual brilliance over this every time.

We're heading for 7th and Europa Conference League.

There's a serious lack of quality in the squad.

Dalot, Elanga, Rashford, McTominay, and Telles wouldn't start in most PL teams this season and that's just from today's game.

I for one am shocked that Rangnick's United ended up with a 1-1 from a game they could definitely have won.

Was on a hiding to nothing from the start with the interim role, taking over a disheveled and underperforming squad. His tenure has undoubtably been a failure now that fourth is gone, but it wouldn't have been any better under Solskjaer or Carrick or whoever else. I also think that his inability to impose any sort of style or discipline on this squad has at least done a good job of highlighting that the main problem is the players.

Our passing was decent I thought.

But what's up with this guy and his 4 - 2 - 2 - 2 formation really?! He and the team had no clue how to play it regardless of having strikers or not.

Nobody bought into this clearly stated “interim” right from the start and he is not the sort of manager you bring in to sort a broken team.

Ten Hag (please) has got a massive job ahead and I hope he throws whoever will not buy into him under a bus before this bunch do the same to him.

Has a caretaker manager ever made less impact on a team?
I'm genuinely wondering if leaving Ole in situ until the summer would have been any worse?

At least we can't possibly make the mistake of employing a caretaker off an initial strong run though!

Shocking formation today. The point of false 9 is to get the best out of your midfield and wingers to have space to run into and score goals. But none of our wingers and midfield were proper goalscorer.

To be fair to him he has no forward line. How can you spend £400m and not have any functioning forward line and forced to start with Bruno up front? Just how is it possible.

Rangnick has been fine but been a let down in terms of style of play. Seems the player couldn't be bothered buying into his ideas when they knew he was leaving anyway. Don't see a clear style of play.

How has he been "Fine" ? I mean what did he do exactly ? Both results and football are as bad as we used to be.

He has been a complete failure from every single perspective.

And contrary to what others seem to convince themselves, the season was still very much salvageable when he got the job. We still had Fa Cup and CL to look forward to and we had only played 14 matches out of possible 38 in the league.

He fecked up completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.