Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much did Ole spend again? didnt fecking play half of them either

Ralf is a interim

If we compare to Oles interim period its not even a conversation. Who knows what Ralf would do with some transfer windows.

This "But what about all the money he spent" isnt actually helpful, its childish "Get back at you" commentary.

We went into this season thinking that we could challenge for titles. Instead we have had Maguire, Shaw, Rashford, AWB, Martial, and god help me even more players absolutely fall off a cliff on a individual level.

Maguire was good the first two seasons. We bought him after outbidding Manchester Citys £60m offer to meet Leicesters £80m evaluation. The choice was to play Smalling who no one thought was good enough anyway.

AWB had a tremendously good first season at RB on the defensive side. He was bought after we had to suffer the absolute liability that was Ashley Young. AWB was named man of match several times. There is a footballer there. Where that guy is, I have no idea.

Luke Shaw was the best leftback in the world last year.

Marcus Rashford finally broke out, and then decided to break down, continiously.

There are so many players on this team with a performance curve pointing straight downward, and unless the coaching staff are having them cook dumplings instead of playing football, this is on them.

Rangnick isnt doing a lot wrong. I didnt like that he subbed off Bruno today. He was a whiny brat most of the game but he is also one of the few players on the team that can pull something out of a hat. We werent breaking down Atletico in any way shape or form, so we had to rely on moments of brilliance to get anything. I fear taking Bruno off was a detriment to that.

Ideally Rangnick would have figured a way to utilize what the players know today instead of attempting to instill a footballing philosophy that takes a long time to get flowing when he is a appointment for a very limited time. Thats not criticism, that is only a fair discussion to have.

We are scoring a lot less, and really we need to win the rest of the games if we want any hope of seeing CL next year.

Giving leeway gets you nowhere in football I'm afraid. It's time we understand that as fans. If we want to become a powerhouse in football we have to follow the likes of Real's example. Neither the fans nor the board there give players or managers any leeway. If you fail once you're out. And it works for them time after time again. They usually have one poor season and then they complete their entire "transition" and "rebuild" within one summer window. Season after they're winning again. Compare that to us who have been "transitioning" and "rebuilding" for a decade and who have been handing out leeway to every man and his dog. We have to take a leaf out of Real's book.

Ys it's true for them, but not for us. You can see why when we appointed Ole as permanent manager and stuck with him for so long. At Real Madrid, there would have been too many period for Ole to get the sack already, and RM would have their rebuild well underway.

RR would leave head coach post after interim period regardless. It's already different to RM approach from the start.

If we're copying RM, then we need to change from the top. Glazers need to sell. You need the people that hold the club money to be ambitious, and interested in football. F.Perez makes many bad decisions too, but he puts his reputation with the club success and failure, so he actively works to change things. Our club is a Frankenstein at the moment.

He’s utterly failed as an interim. I’d have expected an interim to come in and figure out the best system for the players that are here and get some reasonable results. I’m not as concerned about losing to Atletico as the consistent shite results against league cannon fodder.

We can all say xyz about the future but top 4 was perfectly attainable when he came in and he has flapped it. He’s flapped it because he has tried to imprint a ‘philosophy’ onto the players mid season which also includes playing using fitness levels they dont have. The idea ‘its Oles fault for leaving these players here’ is bizarre because what RR has essentially done is come in and insist he is going to do brain surgery with an ice cream scoop because hes too wrapped up in his own ideas and a tad arrogant imo.

his consultancy role will be a dud too because whats he even consulting? He wont be in woodwards position and we have Murtogh and Fletcher too. Its all going to be on the next manager, i pray they are a good one. i can see a war in the boardroom between him fletcher and murtough being more likely than any sort of huge upturn.

No way we can tell Carrick would have done any better. The way he set us up pissed me off too. The few games he had we just sat deep and didn't even attempt to play football. Results were ok but the way Rangnick at least tries to get this squad to press is what I want to se
He set us up defensively against Chelsea and we nearly came away with 3 points. Arsenal at home was probably the best football and team performance we've seen this season. Its hard to say if Carrick would've been good over a long stretch but for those three games he did an excellent job. I'm certain he has a future in management.

Don't think he's bad, but as I felt at the time of appointment,
He’s utterly failed as an interim. I’d have expected an interim to come in and figure out the best system for the players that are here and get some reasonable results. I’m not as concerned about losing to Atletico as the consistent shite results against league cannon fodder.

We can all say xyz about the future but top 4 was perfectly attainable when he came in and he has flapped it. He’s flapped it because he has tried to imprint a ‘philosophy’ onto the players mid season which also includes playing using fitness levels they dont have. The idea ‘its Oles fault for leaving these players here’ is bizarre because what RR has essentially done is come in and insist he is going to do brain surgery with an ice cream scoop because hes too wrapped up in his own ideas and a tad arrogant imo.

his consultancy role will be a dud too because whats he even consulting? He wont be in woodwards position and we have Murtogh and Fletcher too. Its all going to be on the next manager, i pray they are a good one. i can see a war in the boardroom between him fletcher and murtough being more likely than any sort of huge upturn.

Well put.

If you're appointing mid-season (especially with a very high profile short-term signing) and the squad doesn't particularly suit the style of the manager whose philosophy you are apparently adopting then why persist with established players who do not suit that style of play.

Everything's a contradiction with this club and that's the only consistency we've got to play with.

Bluffer, talks a good game. Delivered nothing, reputation is great but principal lost. Maguire/Mata sub showed the coward for me. Have the balls to stand by selection. You sub the captain(never was a United captain) for a player that hasn't played this season. These players mentality can't be hid, manager failed though spectacularly.

Such an average manager.

A pure philosophy again and nothing else.

He set us up defensively against Chelsea and we nearly came away with 3 points. Arsenal at home was probably the best football and team performance we've seen this season. Its hard to say if Carrick would've been good over a long stretch but for those three games he did an excellent job. I'm certain he has a future in management.

I agree, but Oleball was awesome at first dozen of matches as well and we all know what happened, this club is desperately in need for a revamp from top to bottom rather then just managerial issues.

RR's performance might have been average or even poor after yesterday's lost, but I will not blame him with all these bang average players and no reinforcement in Jan's transfer window.

There is still a slim chance gunning for a top 4 finish, a must win game against Arsenal away and we will see what happens. If we fail to achieve this only objective available this season; then a massive trim to our squad and a rebuild from scratch is imminent while RR is moved to the advisory role.

We are thousand miles behind our rivals already (City and Pool) and the gap isn't narrowing, if we don't learn from the mistakes we made in the last 10 years, No manager hire will be able to rescure this club, not even Pep and Klopp.

I've said I'll wait for a few of the more difficult games before making an opinion and, safe for a one man show against Spurs we are abysmal.

It's incredible how Rangnick uses pretty much the same formation as Ole after being known for 2 striker formations- and also uses the same players like McFred with almost the same tactics aswell.

I see no pressing ability in this team.

A manager with just words

Still not fit/committed enough to play the way we did in the first half hour for the full 90. Subs were really poor as well, but I do think we look better than the last days under Ole.

This guy wasn't the right choice as an interim for me, he seems to be cut from a similar cloth to LVG who are both very process oriented and with clear ideas which needs some time to implement. The kind of bounce we got from Ole when he replaced Mou or what Chelsea did very often with Hiddink should have been more of what we should have looked for if we didn't want a full time manager yet. Granted there probably weren't many options but still.

Paul Scholes has taken aim at Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick, questioning how the club ever thought hiring the German boss could be a good idea.

Rangnick was appointed as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's temporary successor, with the former RB Leipzig architect handed the reins until the end of the season until he moves into an advisory role.

But, after Tuesday's loss to Atletico Madrid that sealed the club's Champions League elimination, Manchester United legend Scholes didn't hold back in his assessment of the manager.

Failed in all competitions. We have been unlucky with refs, but it is no excuse. Overall not good enough.
The Middlesbrough game was a joke and we should of easily been 4/5 goals up if we finished of the chances we had. We missed open nets in that game. Can’t put that down to rangnick. Last nights game, the ref was a joke and cost us the game by letting them score when we should of had a free kick. I know it was poor defending but it shouldn’t of got that close to the net when it should of been our ball.

Paul Scholes has taken aim at Manchester United boss Ralf Rangnick, questioning how the club ever thought hiring the German boss could be a good idea.

Rangnick was appointed as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's temporary successor, with the former RB Leipzig architect handed the reins until the end of the season until he moves into an advisory role.

But, after Tuesday's loss to Atletico Madrid that sealed the club's Champions League elimination, Manchester United legend Scholes didn't hold back in his assessment of the manager.
Wondered if he questioned the same when Ole was appointed as the interim.

I find them unsufferable. When Ole was here it was all about giving him time and invest on the players he wanted else we are setting him to fail. Then Ole failed after building a pile of hot garbage on the tune of a whooping 420m, Rangnick comes and all those talks had gone out of the window. Rangnick is working with a squad assembled by an amateur who failed spectacularly even at Cardiff. He had signed nobody, he was only able to bring in 2 coaching staff and he wasn't given a pre season. Yet somehow its his fault. Then people are shocked why I don't want these frauds anywhere near to the club I love.

It's incredible how Rangnick uses pretty much the same formation as Ole after being known for 2 striker formations- and also uses the same players like McFred with almost the same tactics aswell.

I see no pressing ability in this team.

A manager with just words

Which is still an upgrade on previous one, what a shit tier of managers they are.

Seems some have really short memory but regardless, dont see whats the issue, few more games and he is gone, he didnt spend a penny, he didnt waste our years, dont think he did any harm so far, regarding players he was more or less honest, so they couldnt hide, hell they even went full PR mode.

We will probably appoint a wrong person as a manager again, then instead of purging this squad, we will try to extend some of those contracts and keep most of them because thats how we roll.

Giving leeway gets you nowhere in football I'm afraid. It's time we understand that as fans. If we want to become a powerhouse in football we have to follow the likes of Real's example. Neither the fans nor the board there give players or managers any leeway. If you fail once you're out. And it works for them time after time again. They usually have one poor season and then they complete their entire "transition" and "rebuild" within one summer window. Season after they're winning again. Compare that to us who have been "transitioning" and "rebuilding" for a decade and who have been handing out leeway to every man and his dog. We have to take a leaf out of Real's book.

Yeah but he'll be out end of the season anyway so I'm not sure where you are going here. After we missed out on Conte we didn't have many other options. Left it way too late with the Ole sacking.

I don't think it was that good. We played alright against Arse and fair fecks to him for coming in and doing a job. But to claim he'd have been the answer is pure hindsight. I really doubt it too as he's been part of of what 3 of our last failing managers?

Was very happy with his appointment because he is considered a progressive coach, but his inflexibility and reading of things that aren't going his way are damning.

Sure, these are not his players, by a long way, but a good/great coach forces some kind of tune out of them before binning them when he has the opportunity, and in that regard, Rangnick has done nothing of note.

There isn't a single player who has had a noticeable upswing since his arrival and we're no better in any particular system than we were, and the aforementioned inflexibility means he isn't even picking the optimal pieces for the way he wants to play. It's very underwhelming and disappointing as I had much higher expectations of him than this.

We're a shambles as a dressing room and there's all sorts of non-football related shite he's had to deal with, but he could and should have been bolder to save our season. What any individual player thinks or thought was absolutely irrelevant and he should have stamped his authority down and did what he wanted from the outset and not pander to anyone who didn't match his vision.

He is poor with subs and tactical changes, and this, - more than the rest, which you can add 'buts' to - convinces me he's not an elite level coach, even with his own pieces on the board.

I hope he's better at his actual job than he is as a coach; whatever happens, he should not be the man in the hot seat next season.

He got outdone by a better manager. Not sure what our tactics were in the second half. People like to give him a free pass but he has to take some accountability. Like Scholes said he shouldn't be managing us even for a game but hey here we are as the club.
The dame Scholes that found it very difficult to blame the last manager? I can't take him seriously

Scholes is a pleb on punditry, that was a well established fact before Rangnick came in.

Love how Scholes went all in on Ralf yet barely said a bad word under 3 years of shite with Ole

Ralf will hopefully be integral upstairs this summer. That’s where we ultimately want him to be based on the deal which involved a six month stint as manager and then two years as a consultant.

Hopefully he’s seen quite a bit about this squad to relay to the new guy.

Nobody even knows what his role upstairs is supposed to be...

What's the point, really? You want to hire another interim manager for the last 3 months of the season?

We've hired him more for his work after this managerial role - at least, I hope that's the case. He's done alright considering the state of the team and the squad. Losing in the CL hurts, but with a bit of perspective losing 2-1 on aggregate to Atletico isn't really sackable, they're a nasty team that knows exactly how to play these games. I really think he's the least of our problems right now

Crazy idea, what if we hired a permanent manager? Give him time to learn about the squad and give the ok to the summer transfers before the last minute...

Considering how this season is going/has gone -

I do wonder if going for Van Gaal as an interim to Ten Hag would have been a decent decision.

Most fans would probably not be able to handle that though.
I believe him and woody don’t speak
I’m not sure VGs ego would allow him to do an interim job

We were clearly waiting as the coaches we are interested in are already employed and not prepared to move in the midst of a season. So from that point of view the interim was needed

Considering how this season is going/has gone -

I do wonder if going for Van Gaal as an interim to Ten Hag would have been a decent decision.

Most fans would probably not be able to handle that though.

Giving up the Holland job for a six month stint at a club that sacked him just after winning a trophy. A club he has been openly negative about since leaving. Don’t think that’s going to be happen.

How many of our squad had to Google who he was when his name first hit the papers and rumour mill? I'm betting at least 7/8 of them.

Lots of fans were even pretending they knew everything about him. I was at the Utd Schalke semi final all those years ago and I didn't remember him at all I will be honest. He wasn't a household name in the country or even on the forum before the rumours started.

We appointed a nobody basically. Hopefully it's just because we couldn't get who we wanted.

Crazy idea, what if we hired a permanent manager? Give him time to learn about the squad and give the ok to the summer transfers before the last minute...
The permanent managers you want weren't available midseason and still aren't available midseason. They will be after the season. So you had to hire an interim manager to finish the season. Makes no sense to moan about that.

The permanent managers you want weren't available midseason and still aren't available midseason. They will be after the season. So you had to hire an interim manager to finish the season. Makes no sense to moan about that.

Yep. It's not a hard concept to work out yet some really have struggled with it. Would people rather we'd gone for someone like big bad Brendan who we may have been able to get out of Leicester instead?

How many of our squad had to Google who he was when his name first hit the papers and rumour mill? I'm betting at least 7/8 of them.

Lots of fans were even pretending they knew everything about him. I was at the Utd Schalke semi final all those years ago and I didn't remember him at all I will be honest. He wasn't a household name in the country or even on the forum before the rumours started.

We appointed a nobody basically. Hopefully it's just because we couldn't get who we wanted.

If you're a professional footballer at the top level and you have to Google the man who many say is the godfather and innovator of the gegenpress, that is pathetic. You should have knowledge of the game, that's on the players if they have that little interest in world football.

Rangnick I think is doing a decent job. He just isn't a permanent manager, and was never meant to be. None of us know what happens behind the scenes, but he doesn't seem like the kind of character to be a great man manager.

His tactics have improved us though. The first half last night was good football, and enjoyable to watch for the most part. We look like we have a plan. What we don't have is a full squad of players disciplined enough to stick to the plan. We also need to be more ruthless in the final third, and obviously some of the attitudes on display are stinking.

It's just as well we went out because let's be honest, there are enough brainless United fans and pundits, who don't learn the lessons, that would have been calling to give Rangnick the job permanently if we got through.

Status
Not open for further replies.