Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol:

One won 54 % of his games and was judged not good enough (rightly so). The other wins 45 % and if you even try to criticise him you're labelled an apologist of the former. Pot, kettle, black.

A Manchester United manager who only wins 4.5 out of 10 games is a complete and utter embarrassment. Anyone making any sort of excuses for him deserves every bit of the rotten state the club is in.

He came in as an interim though in the middle of the biggest fecking crisis this club has seen since Fergie left. I'd say context matters no? Plus had to deal with our biggest talent ruining the life of his gf, her and his family's life as well as his own career.
Yeah I also hoped we would do better under him but I think it's just fair to give him more leeway than a guy that spent fecking fortunes just to ruin the squad and the team for years and years to come whilst not a single pundit out there dared to say a bad word about him as he was their mate.

Any manager who plays Maguire ahead of Lindelof really only has himself to blame for bad results.

It's not been very good has it.

I know in terms of the people to blame for where we are as a club he'd be very low down the list but he's been nowhere near as good as I was led to believe he'd be.

We still look dodgy as feck defensively and our goalscoring under him is dreadful.

I can't put too much blame on him for the shit show second half of the season. But one look at his record gives you an idea he's never been a top manager. He's been a decent manager and nothing more and at 63 he's most likely past even that.

Well? Can we sack this guy yet?

What's the point, really? You want to hire another interim manager for the last 3 months of the season?

We've hired him more for his work after this managerial role - at least, I hope that's the case. He's done alright considering the state of the team and the squad. Losing in the CL hurts, but with a bit of perspective losing 2-1 on aggregate to Atletico isn't really sackable, they're a nasty team that knows exactly how to play these games. I really think he's the least of our problems right now

Also what style of play has he even implemented? We might look slightly better defensively but we still look absolutely clueless going forward, if not worse than under Ole. And he's failed miserably at his main objective of stabilising the ship and getting top 4.

Seems like he planned on bringing in the 4-2-2-2 and making us a Red Bull/Southampton (and now Leeds under Marsch) type team but decided it wouldn't work with our players, at least mid-season, so scrapped it to get top 4 and hopefully progress in the CL, and now it's basically just the same as under Ole but a bit sounder defensively except for when Maguire does a Titus Bramble.

Doesn't matter. He is correct. Just because he didn't say about Ole doesn't mean he can't comment on another manager who is also not good.

And who else would have come in middle of the season? We did nothing when Conte was available for some reason and after that we didn't have many other options. He was the right call for an interim job.

Ralf will hopefully be integral upstairs this summer. That’s where we ultimately want him to be based on the deal which involved a six month stint as manager and then two years as a consultant.

Hopefully he’s seen quite a bit about this squad to relay to the new guy.

He fecked it up tonight, but he's basically been thrown into a forest fire and been given half a bottle of stale piss to put it out.

Doesn't matter. He is correct. Just because he didn't say about Ole doesn't mean he can't comment on another manager who is also not good.
It shows he has a clear bias when evaluating managers which puts his credibility into doubt.

And who else would have come in middle of the season? We did nothing when Conte was available for some reason and after that we didn't have many other options. He was the right call for an interim job.
Well if anything it is proving that he wasn't a right choice for the manager. He has done a poor job and no amount of his good press conferences can cover that.

He wasn't good enough.

Ralf isn't good enough.

Whatever Ole did or didn't do doesn't excuse what Ralf is doing currently.

Atleast we know this one is stepping down in a few months. That Ole stayed so long hurt us more than Ragnick could ever do. This season was a lost cause anyways after Ole put us in free fall.

Well if anything it is proving that he wasn't a right choice for the manager. He has done a poor job and no amount of his good press conferences can cover that.

I think he's done some good things. Not enough but I can see what he is trying to do with the team. Plus there really weren't many other options after we let Conte slip.

Feel like he did give Ole stick to be fair, definitely called out the perfomances as well.

At the very end yeah he did. Took him way too long though and certainly longer than it took him to turn on an interim manager of ours that inherited a crap squad

I think he's done some good things. Not enough but I can see what he is trying to do with the team.
He was appointed as an interim to get results and I am judging based on that. Look he may very well take out the weed and in 2 years time he could be the best thing that happened to this club but as a manager I don't think he was a smart choice. I know hindsight is funny but I would rather had Carrick as an interim with Rangnick starting his consultancy role right away.

He was appointed as an interim to get results and I am judging based on that. Look he may very well take out the weed and in 2 years time he could be the best thing that happened to this club but as a manager I don't think he was a smart choice. I know hindsight is funny but I would rather had Carrick as an interim with Rangnick starting his consultancy role right away.

No way we can tell Carrick would have done any better. The way he set us up pissed me off too. The few games he had we just sat deep and didn't even attempt to play football. Results were ok but the way Rangnick at least tries to get this squad to press is what I want to se

No way we can tell Carrick would have done any better. The way he set us up pissed me off too. The few games he had we just sat deep and didn't even attempt to play football. Results were ok but the way Rangnick at least tries to get this squad to press is what I want to se
What press? The only time we have pressed as a team was for the 30 minutes against Palace. Are we seriously going to tell we press, heck Athletico in the first leg pressed better than us. Sorry but I don't see any style under him, maybe he doesn't have the right players but even then I expected more. I am happy to take losses or draws if that means I see a style, unfortunately I don't. The last 20 mins or even the whole second half was just bad and I mean real bad.

Regarding the pressing, bar the first half against Palace, our most cohesive press was in Carrick's last game in charge against Arsenal.

agreed

hes been an absolute disaster at every conceivable level

We were getting battered by the likes of Watford and Leicester. He's settled things down and seems to have the measure of things/players now, but the damage was done already. In making us a bit more solid in defence we've not been great in attack. But under Ole we were mostly bailed out by moments of magic anyway. At least he's got Sancho playing too.

He came in as an interim though in the middle of the biggest fecking crisis this club has seen since Fergie left. I'd say context matters no? Plus had to deal with our biggest talent ruining the life of his gf, her and his family's life as well as his own career.
Yeah I also hoped we would do better under him but I think it's just fair to give him more leeway than a guy that spent fecking fortunes just to ruin the squad and the team for years and years to come whilst not a single pundit out there dared to say a bad word about him as he was their mate.

Giving leeway gets you nowhere in football I'm afraid. It's time we understand that as fans. If we want to become a powerhouse in football we have to follow the likes of Real's example. Neither the fans nor the board there give players or managers any leeway. If you fail once you're out. And it works for them time after time again. They usually have one poor season and then they complete their entire "transition" and "rebuild" within one summer window. Season after they're winning again. Compare that to us who have been "transitioning" and "rebuilding" for a decade and who have been handing out leeway to every man and his dog. We have to take a leaf out of Real's book.

I’m starting to think, does his underwhelming stint as manager already undermine his future consultancy role. It’s pretty hard to tell those that don’t know what they’re doing what to do when i’m your current role you’ve not really known what you were doing.

I like his pressers & I hope his time with the squad has given him greater perspective on things but everything we do just feels so convoluted. With hindsight, why is a club our size not hiring RR as the consultant & getting a manager in instead of throwing away seasons.

Giving leeway gets you nowhere in football I'm afraid. It's time we understand that as fans. If we want to become a powerhouse in football we have to follow the likes of Real's example. Neither the fans nor the board there give players or managers any leeway. If you fail once you're out. And it works for them time after time again. They usually have one poor season and then they complete their entire "transition" and "rebuild" within one summer window. Season after they're winning again. Compare that to us who have been "transitioning" and "rebuilding" for a decade and who have been handing out leeway to every man and his dog. We have to take a leaf out of Real's book.
This point can’t be pressed enough. Watch us dither away another Summer & rush a few transfers in though.

A rebuild doesn’t need to take forever.

I generally agree about the pressing under RR, but we pressed very effectively tonight in the first half. Won the ball high up so many times.

I think the problem is starting to become that we have one of these idealist managers. Everything he has ever said about football suggests he has a set of ideas. If you have those defined ideas, you at least want a preseason as a bare minimum and then probably also suitable players. It's hard to do that midseason with a juggernaut that's off the rails.

I do think we've looked slightly better but it hasn't been enough, so far. Does he have the acumen at this stature of club to simply find a way of getting things done, no matter how pragmatic? That's a real question. It may even be too late now. I never really bought into the "process" because how can a process exist for an interim manager that is gone in the summer and who's credibility relies on short term results? So if he did approach it in the way he managed previous clubs that was possibly a mistake in hindsight.

You have to say if it fritters out and we finish 5th or 6th then he hasn't reached what I'd call an acceptable level. It does no doubt hurt his position at the club, I think.

Very well put. We as a fan have a weird affection to our managers be it Ole or RR and even players. Athletico were there for the taking today and all we did today was play into their hands. How can a manager be excused is beyond me. Rr as a manager has been a disappointment.

I can’t work out if it’s the manager or the players. I know he’s only interim but are we any better off than with Ole?

I’m starting to think, does his underwhelming stint as manager already undermine his future consultancy role. It’s pretty hard to tell those that don’t know what they’re doing what to do when i’m your current role you’ve not really known what you were doing.

I like his pressers & I hope his time with the squad has given him greater perspective on things but everything we do just feels so convoluted. With hindsight, why is a club our size not hiring RR as the consultant & getting a manager in instead of throwing away seasons.

Two completely different roles. Just because he sucks as a manager doesn’t mean he will suck as a ‘consultant’ (whatever that means). But the problem is credibility. Media and opposition fans will have a field day when he moves upstairs after a failed managerial stint. Fanbase will be divided on the issue too which will cause more unrest. Think it will be best for everyone if we get rid completely in the summer.

If they wanted him as ‘consultant’ they should’ve given him that role in December. Then he wouldn’t be having this crap stint hanging over him.

The expectation of Ragnick being a good manager has no legs because there's no credible example of him succeeding at the level of a club like United.

I think he will be a good success in the hierarchical structure. He's spoken of players needing to leave if they are not committed. A new approach to the sentimentality of the Glazers is needed and Ragnick offers a difference of opinion to the usual noises the club likes to make when faced with pivotal decisions.

Considering that much of the club's structure is run by inexperienced individuals in footballing terms, I'd go as far to offer Ragnick the DOF role over a 5 year term with John Murtough a close second to be a type of prodigy in context to taking over.

Cant say he is better than ole at the
moment. Doesnt seem to have the charisma to be a head coach of a top european team

If he continues to give any minutes to Lingard or Mata then I will have serious doubts about him as the consultant as well. Play some kids and look towards the next season

:lol:

One won 54 % of his games and was judged not good enough (rightly so). The other wins 45 % and if you even try to criticise him you're labelled an apologist of the former. Pot, kettle, black.

A Manchester United manager who only wins 4.5 out of 10 games is a complete and utter embarrassment. Anyone making any sort of excuses for him deserves every bit of the rotten state the club is in.
Which is a crap comparison when you join a badly run club with an unbalanced squad in December - on the back of a 4-1 defeat to the mighty Watford - and draw a conclusion after 4 months with no transfers or pre season.

Ole had several seasons and money to burn to get his players in, train his ‚patterns‘ of play and overall hasn’t improved us from a footballing perspective. He lightened the mood after Mourinho and bought Bruno, Sancho and Varane (hardly hidden gems).

Anyone who can’t see progress in (sadly) small patches from the way we approach games and at least try to play now, shouldn’t write anything about who we should appoint next. Nobody is saying that Ralf is doing fantastically well, of course not. But in a lot of the games we weren’t clinical enough (not on the manager) or couldn’t keep the intensity up for a whole Game due to the lack of fitness and squad depth in certain areas (also not on the manager). Circumstances do matter and the approach also. Except for the odd sub here and there, still trusting captain Maguire and the game against Villa, I can’t think of a real mistakes he made.

As much as I loved Ole as a player and person, as much as I respected LvG and Mourinho as great coaches in the past, no one guided us into the right direction for the future. Rangnick does, even when a lot of players aren’t capable of implementing it. At least not over 90 minutes or as a whole team. Trying to walk this path in the middle of the season can and most of the time will be painful, but it’s necessary and has been for a long time.

Two completely different roles. Just because he sucks as a manager doesn’t mean he will suck as a ‘consultant’ (whatever that means). But the problem is credibility. Media and opposition fans will have a field day when he moves upstairs after a failed managerial stint. Fanbase will be divided on the issue too which will cause more unrest. Think it will be best for everyone if we get rid completely in the summer.

If they wanted him as ‘consultant’ they should’ve given him that role in December. Then he wouldn’t be having this crap stint hanging over him.
Tbf, people are having too much expectation with that consultant role just like they did with his stink as an interim. I am not saying that he is totally shit.

But I really doubt that role will have much of an effect at all in the bigger picture.

Unless you appoint a new permanent managerthen , and start the rebuild with January window; interim manager more often than not is a mean to damage control, and make space to distance a the failing regime from the next permanent appointment. Turning down Conte, there was no really a permanent option for us to go at the time.

Carrick is way too closely tied with Ole regime, to take interim and really be truly professional about interim job as his own boss. Put it this way: If thing turns out exactly like under RR for Carrick, Carrick would be in awkward position where he can't speak out about how thing done wrong under Ole. It can be seen as back stabbing, yet truth need to be told.

He had some positive result, but the football is not exactly positive. There was a lot of changes between and during in those games Carrick managed. It seems like even him staying with the team for all this time, he himself has no solution for this mess. We never know if he would do better in a longer run. However we know Carrick only option would be doing better and seriously get result, or it would damage his own future coaching career. IMO, Carrick is smart enough to quit from this political mess.

If we look at the bigger picture, then we still see weird stuff like Mike Phelan still staying around, and our supposed technical director in Darren Fletcher now being a part of the coaching staff.

RR interim may be deemed as underwhelming, yet it gets the damage control part right, and this helps making clear that the issue is huge, and no overnight easy fix. The fan and next manager should be prepared. RR enterprise as club building consultant would mean the assessment of the squad and the club would help giving the next manager a head start. This is something you can't expect and get from Carrick as interim manager, who even if he does okay, would likely leave before passing on any insight to the new manager.

If RR had started his consultant role right away, it would be pointless IMO. He would still need time to oberave, get to know people, and assess the inside affair of the club. And without a permanent manager, there wouldn't be much change on our hesitance to buy players during January, and the search for the new manager for next season. Basically RR as a consultant right now would be taking his time watching, and doing talking with the bosses. It would not be much different than from what he's doing right now.

Last edited:
Obviously, overreacting is on another level tonight. It is evident what he is trying to do but this lot simply can't execute it.
Ole destroyed this football club and it will take years to recover from his reign.
If we can't get ETH/Tuchel this summer, I would trust him next season to clear the dross and lead us forward.

Credibility was the argument, I didn’t mean he’d be bad at one as he was at the other. I think failing as a manager undermines his role as consultant which is why as you agree, we should have just made him consultant immediately.

Why we dally so much I’ll never know.

Maybe we should have let Carrick took over instead. Can’t see there will be any difference or worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.