Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it's 2 years of Sancho doing nothing (he has 2 years left?) or Sterling potentially starting or playing second fiddle to Rashford. Yeah the money sticks in the throat but we losing that with Sancho anyway with no input from him, as in game time.

It's not though. It's probably another season of loaning him out and having as much of his wages covered as the top bidder is willing. Then selling him next summer for above his book value, which wont be much (about £15m without activating his extension)

Sancho isn't better.

You also don't realize that Sterling wouldn't be on huge wages here, most likely. Ronaldo was on 500k per week, Casemiro on 350k on top of the 60m transfer fee. If we basically get Sterling for free plus give him 120k per week wages, it's an incomparable situation to Casemiro or Ronaldo or Varane.
Firstly, why will Sterling take a pay cut of 180k ? and he is not free seeing Sancho is going the other way and Sancho has more value.
We are absolute duds if we take the deal and why will we do Chelsea a favour?
I absolutely will check Ashworth for some MR if he does this deal. This is some next level Mental retardation shit

If the contract was right and that's a big if. I'd take him.

We are lacking depth and options on the wings. He is consistently proven to be capable at this level and to be honest I'm pleasantly surprised he is only 29. I thought he was older as he has been around forever.

Would he be my first choice - not at all. But if it is on a free and the terms of the contract are right, which based on our recent business I have more faith they will be, then its not a bad signing.

If it meant I had to see less of Rashford on the pitch then I'm all for it. But again the contract is key. If its another Alexis Sanchez esque contract then no thank you.

Absolute rubbish, even now Sancho is a better player but I am happy if neither him nor ETH is here anyway. Sterling is just another Casemiro, Ronaldo and any past it player we have ever signed.
Actually believe some money laundering/Accountancy shit is going on here if this happens.

No footballing reason to make this happen
First of all calm down with your words.

Okay then we keep Sancho.....either he doesn't play again for us (under Ten Hag) or he plays terrible.

And i have not said that we should sign Sterling.

But if this deal means that Sancho moves on then i would accept this deal.

Nah not for me. Unless he was a free with pay per play. Old wingers are to slow for the EPL

I don't hate Sterling as a player to be honest and he'd probably provide more than Sancho ever has for Utd, but yeah... Not really keen.

He’s actually quite a Fergie signing for me. I could see him signing him to deepen the quality of the squad as a player with tons of league experience at a good level

Firstly, why will Sterling take a pay cut of 180k ? and he is not free seeing Sancho is going the other way and Sancho has more value.
We are absolute duds if we take the deal and why will we do Chelsea a favour?
I absolutely will check Ashworth for some MR if he does this deal. This is some next level Mental retardation shit

Because if he leaves Chelsea on a permanent deal, he will have to. Only Saudi Arabia will offer him big money. No one in the PL, Italy, or Spain will offer anything close to 325k.

I'd been positive about the change in approach from the club with recent sales but this feels like a return to the bad old days... I'm struggling for a metaphor for the absolute opposite of a cherry on top of a cake that doesn't involve Jordan and a niche Dubai website!

Unless im missing something, this has Sanchez Mikitharian written all over it (If it happens of course)

I mean where would he fit in, another false 9, wide play maker. I just dont see any area of our team he betters or addresses

If we sign Sterling (even on a free) then that will seriously mess up my feel good vibes regarding our summer transfer window.

I never rated Sterling much even when he was supposedly at his peak
Kinda how I feel as well, we've done so good this transfer window. This would feck it up imo.

Also agree with the last part, never rated him that highly.

Sterling only makes sense if Chelsea is paying United extra to take him off them.

Sancho and Sterling bring different qualities. Sancho operates more as a wide playmaker, focusing on creativity and ball retention rather than consistently making runs in behind to stretch defences. This contrasts with the profile of players like Sterling, Rashford, and Garnacho, who thrive on exploiting space behind the backline with their pace and directness—traits that align more closely with what ten Hag seems to prefer. While Sterling's end product may not be as sharp as it once was, his relentless movement and ability to unsettle defences remain valuable assets in any match. He can also operate anywhere in the front line, albeit more of a threat in the wider areas.

Last edited:
Sancho is on £13m/year. It's not that much difference. Ashworth can pull it off.

No, no and no.

25% reduction. It's an enormous difference whether it's £10m or £13m. No one could pull off a deal where we come out in credit.

Chelsea are up shit creak and desperate. We are not in a desperate situation with Sancho at all, we can clear majority of his wages off accepting Juve's offer. Why are there United fans so desperate to rationalise being dragged down and bailing Chelsea out to our own detrement. Again.

It's not though. It's probably another season of loaning him out and having as much of his wages covered as the top bidder is willing. Then selling him next summer for above his book value, which wont be much (about £15m without activating his extension)

Yeah I get that but for me it's about making the best out of the situation. And I'm not sure us paying him a large sum (assuming we cover a large part of his wages) for 2 years, selling him cheap and not having a player is best.

Not ideal I agree. I just think Sterling has more to offer, is prem ready and even as cover we get more out of him than Sancho.

It's a lose lose situation in reality. Just a case of grasping for something positive

I'd take him (and I don't want to) IF.
  1. He signs on wages around 1/4 of what Sancho is on, meaning he's below the top earners, and a huge part is performance based.
  2. The deal is only 2 years with a 1 year add on (club side)
  3. Sancho gones on a PERMANENT deal.
  4. Chelsea give 30-40 million on top of Sterling coming the other way, given Sancho is 5 years younger.
That's the only way it works for me.

Yeah I get that but for me it's about making the best out of the situation. And I'm not sure us paying him a large sum (assuming we cover a large part of his wages) for 2 years, selling him cheap and not having a player is best.

Not ideal I agree. I just think Sterling has more to offer, is prem ready and even as cover we get more out of him than Sancho.

It's a lose lose situation in reality. Just a case of grasping for something positive
Yes

He’s actually quite a Fergie signing for me. I could see him signing him to deepen the quality of the squad as a player with tons of league experience at a good level
More Michael Owen type Fergie signing than Eric Cantona though.

No, no and no.

25% reduction. It's an enormous difference whether it's £10m or £13m. No one could pull off a deal where we come out in credit.

Chelsea are up shit creak and desperate. We are not in a desperate situation with Sancho at all, we can clear majority of his wages off accepting Juve's offer. Why are there United fans so desperate to rationalise being dragged down and bailing Chelsea out to our own detrement. Again.

Think this is the crux.

Depends which side of the discussion you fall on. Who is bailing out who.

In my mind Raheem Sterling has never scored a goal from further out then about then 6 yards.

Last edited:
I’d have Sterling over Sancho even at their ages, Sterling has his faults but he always causes the opposition problems.

If he does end up at United he has really taken the Owen route of not being liked by any sets of supporters he has played for

For what it is worth, I think there is still a player in there somewhere that might well be very good for you, it is just hard to vision him actually performing at that level again after so many seasons way off it. And he really can be the most frustrating footballer ever when he is out of form. I rate his performances for us between 17-20 as borderline world-class, and I think a lot of the criticism his career has got has been unfair considering too many people have way too easily written of three season with consistent high level performances way too easily.

But the player he was in the last 2 years here, and at Chelsea is unrecognisable from that level. Extremely poor decision making, inconsistent technique, terrible striker of a football and worst of all he has lost all will to run at opponents and utilise his great burst of pace which weirdly he by all accounts still has.

Some of his flaws has always been there, but the fact that he has stopped doing basically everything he was good at for so long makes me think it must be something mental rather that physical. So he is well worth a punt for any manager that think they can give him the environment he needs. I have always had a soft spot for him, all though I was glad when we let him go. I hope he can find some of his form back but obviously I would prefer it if weren't at United

Sterling is a better footballer than Sancho and Rashford. The rest is a matter of calculating the financials. Is there a way the club pays less to Sterling in 3 years, than Sancho in two? But he'd have to take a significant wage reduction. I imagine the same is true for Sancho.

What I hope doesn't happen is Chelsea get Sancho, then scam some Saudi team out of €30 million in two years, while United are stuck with an unsaleable Sterling.

Sterling's rubbish at finishing but has been fine at Chelsea honestly. He'd have way more assists if they had a better finisher. I don't get the hate and wouldn't mind having him for 1 - 2 years on half his wages, and if it means we can get Sancho out for a decent fee.

Like others have said he's a short-term fix while we work on a long-term solution.
You don't become the second (third?) highest goal scoring winger in PL history if your finishing is rubbish. He has missed some absolute sitters over the years, but so has Haaland, Salah, Kane and every other player. It doesn't mean their finishing is rubbish.

Sterling is a better footballer than Sancho and Rashford. The rest is a matter of calculating the financials. Is there a way the club pays less to Sterling in 3 years, than Sancho in two? But he'd have to take a significant wage reduction. I imagine the same is true for Sancho.

What I hope doesn't happen is Chelsea get Sancho, then scam some Saudi team out of €30 million in two years, while United are stuck with an unsaleable Sterling.
We could literally give him away though as presumably we wouldn’t have a book value to recoup.

I don’t think Sterling is any worse than Rashford or Antony, so quality wise I’m not as bothered by this as I am by the thought of helping Chelsea out of a hole again. His wages are an absolute millstone on Chelsea and I would rather us let them suffer that than take the marginal improvement on Sancho that he might offer us

No, no and no.

This part is admittedly true. If we do a deal for Sterling, it will have to be on our own terms. Us keeping Sancho seems more plausible than Chelsea keeping Sterling. And then there's also interest in Sancho from Juventus.

I don’t think Sterling is any worse than Rashford or Antony, so quality wise I’m not as bothered by this as I am by the thought of helping Chelsea out of a hole again. His wages are an absolute millstone on Chelsea and I would rather us let them suffer that than take the marginal improvement on Sancho that he might offer us
Let’s be real here Antony is nothing compared to Sterling

An experienced winger is something we could do with so I wouldn't be completely against this depending on the finances of it. There's no harm in exploring a possible deal, to start with he's obviously going to need to take a sizeable cut in wages and if not then I'm sure we'll move on.

Last season in the league he contributed to more goals and assists combined than Rashford and Garnacho, equal with Hojlund despite playing less minutes than all three so he's clearly still a decent option. If he replaces Sancho and Antony's minutes then we'll be better off for it.

Hard working winger with a great injury record and bags of ability. I’d take him in a heartbeat.

We can’t rely on young Garnacho, mentally shot Rashford, Antony, and Amad.

No brainer of a singing, for the right fee and wages of course.

Think this is the crux.

Depends which side of the discussion you fall on. Who is bailing out who.

Yeah and if there's a world where we can pay off Sancho's contract, sign Raheem for free and give him a 2 year deal for £120k a week, that'd be a miracle.

Chelsea would have to pay so much more money than us for that to happen. It's so asymmetric because Chelsea owe Sterling £51m and we owe Sancho less than half of that.

The only way I see it happening is a loan swap where Chelsea are paying a little of Sterling's wage and all of Sancho's.

Because if he leaves Chelsea on a permanent deal, he will have to. Only Saudi Arabia will offer him big money. No one in the PL, Italy, or Spain will offer anything close to 325k.
He might as well sit out and take his pay, he has nothing to prove and he gets paid.
Sterling has got nothing to negotiate, he has had his time in the sunshine, all he needs now is to get paid.

Unless im missing something, this has Sanchez Mikitharian written all over it (If it happens of course)

I mean where would he fit in, another false 9, wide play maker. I just dont see any area of our team he betters or addresses
On the left wing because he's better than what we have currently, it's actually really easy to see where he fits in.

Status
Not open for further replies.