Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
What have I missed? Sterling is far better than anything we got on the wing. Winning experience and proven. Less of Rashford too. Genuinely don't see the negative points beyond his age. Wages is not my concern, I trust Ashworth to do beneficial deals.

So, we're thinking of getting rid of a young ish player who costs a lot but isn't doing much, just to bring in an older guy who's also on high wages and on the decline?

Bizarre that United even want him. His finishing is incredibly frustrating and when the going gets tough, Sterling hides.

I'd take him to get Antony off the books. I think that's the only player a poor form sterling is better than.

Surely it’s better to cash in on Sancho and buy an exciting talent like Williams?

Would be a strange deal. A 24 year old with sell on value against a 29 year old who will be worth alot less and has most likely passed his peak.

Surely it’s better to cash in on Sancho and buy an exciting talent like Williams?

Of course it is, but nobody wants to buy him… Chelsea can’t because of FFP and Juve clearly don’t want to stump up the cash.

It’s why this Sterling deal is even being considered… because the other option is having Sancho rot in the reserves on astronomical wages whilst his sale value plummets even more.

A really bad idea and reminds me of the Casemiro signing. Was he even first choice at Chelsea last season?

Would be a strange deal. A 24 year old with sell on value against a 29 year old who will be worth alot less and has most likely passed his peak.
Yeah I can’t help but feel this way. There’s a few positives to Sterling, but overall I just don’t have much interest in seeing him here.

Sterling would instantly be our second best winger (which is embarassing because he's not great).

I think reality has set in that could be subsidising Sancho out on loan for the next two seasons whilst taking a big PSR hit.

This might not be ideal but it may be as good a deal as they can get, I’m not eager for Sterling to join but he is better than Antony and he would play a lot of games for us.

If we got cash as well as Sterling, Chelsea subsidise his wages to an extent and it’s a 2 year deal maybe it isn’t worst idea. But if we end up paying Sterling 300k a week for few years it would raise a lot of questions.

BBC saying "it underlines United sporting director Dan Ashworth’s desire to see if he can use the situation at Stamford Bridge to his club’s advantage" just blow next Summer's transfer budget on Palmer

BBC saying "it underlines United sporting director Dan Ashworth’s desire to see if he can use the situation at Stamford Bridge to his club’s advantage" just blow next Summer's transfer budget on Palmer
Of all the players Chelsea have, surely we could take someone better :lol: :(

If he is willing to half his wages, or Chelsea subsidise half of it, and he's given a relatively short contract, then it could be a decent piece of business.

Getting rid of Sancho is obviously a massive positive, and bringing in a winger at the same time to lessen Rashfords game time is also a positive, due to him being utterly shit.

Sterling's rubbish at finishing but has been fine at Chelsea honestly. He'd have way more assists if they had a better finisher.

Sterling in 2022/23 season: 3 assists from 4.86 xA
Sterling in 2023/24 season: 4 assists from 4.97 xA

Purely on chances created he should have a couple more assists for sure, but "way more" is probably stretching it a bit.

Depending on the salary I would take him. Sancho is offering nothing and will likely stink the place out with his attitude if he stays. It’s becoming more and more concerning that Rashford is a busted flush. Amad is not there yet, Antony is crap and Garnacho was probably already overused last year and now we are pinning lots of hope on him again.

As it stands it would be Sterling on the left and Garnacho on right.

The one player, on earth, who seems to be scientifically incapable of scoring in any game involving Man Utd. So of course we would try to sign him.

Don't get the outrage. He's a good player, but for Chelsea he's on extremely high wages with 3 years left. If we get him on loan or a short contract on decent wages, then great, he'd offer much needed depth.

Again extremely baffling that there are people actually in favour of this.

And, Again, just because we have a new sporting director who everyone has decided is great based on zero evidence, doesn't mean we have to pretend any insanely sh*t idea that might be attributed to him, is somehow not a sh*t idea, just because it MIGHT be his idea.

I would rather hope it isn't his idea, because if it is probably we need to find someone better than him at his job to stop him coming up with any more ideas.

There’s so much negativity in this thread. Many have been bashing their keyboards about their willingness to swap Sancho for a packet of peanuts just to get rid. The fact that this is happening is good, United will have an additional attacking option in the squad in which ETH is more likely to use and the bonus is having Sancho out of the squad on a permanent basis.

I think it’s a win-win.

Cut the wages in half and I'm okay with the move. He can play LW and RW.

If his wages are matched or close to their current levels, we'll be complaining how we're stuck with him relatively soon.

Not a huge fan but as far as squad options go, he probably fits the bill better than Sancho, given his mentality and previous issues with ETH. That said, if our thinking is "he'll be less of a problem than Sancho" that's a very defeatist and worrying mindset to have.

Personally I wouldn't bother with this transfer but if a low fee and relatively low wages, it does make some sense.

Not saying hes the answer but not sure why people are so critical of him. He's a good player and that's why his last 3 club's are Chelsea, Liverpool and City. Also he brings a lot of experience to the club and it's strange cause that's exactly what Chelsea need right about now. If keeping Sancho is the only other option, it's a no brainer

Juve's spidey senses will start tingling as soon as they hear there's a questionable PSR dodging swap deal of some kind going on and might get involved as well.

Yeah I can’t help but feel this way. There’s a few positives to Sterling, but overall I just don’t have much interest in seeing him here.

Honestly get what some of you folk are saying.

But this is such a messed up situation.

We payed our player to help a team in the champions league. Let that sink in

One of our most expensive signings has cost us in more ways than one.

We could potentially loan him and be paying upwards of £100k a week

Or we could get rid. Potentially have an aging, and much more useful player, playing for us week in week out.

Yeah I get the sweinsteiger and Casemeiro et al phase. But this is way different in my opinion.

Heck I'd sign up Giggsy till the end of the season if getting rid of Sancho didn't cost us in wages for him.

Maybe this is all a show to get Juve to agree to an obligation to buy?

Anything to believe we're not contemplating signing Raheem Sterling on a 4 year contract.

Sterling in 2022/23 season: 3 assists from 4.86 xA
Sterling in 2023/24 season: 4 assists from 4.97 xA

Purely on chances created he should have a couple more assists for sure, but "way more" is probably stretching it a bit.
Yeah probably stretched it a bit. I'm also taking into account poor positioning from the CF and also a generally poor Chelsea team till the end of the season. That doesn't translate well into xA I believe, especially with the dangerous positions he gets himself into. Also keep in mind I'm using United's wingers as a reference.

I thought we were already well stocked in the unlikeable twat department?

Again extremely baffling that there are people actually in favour of this.

And, Again, just because we have a new sporting director who everyone has decided is great based on zero evidence, doesn't mean we have to pretend any insanely sh*t idea that might be attributed to him, is somehow not a sh*t idea, just because it MIGHT be his idea.

I would rather hope it isn't his idea, because if it is probably we need to find someone better than him at his job to stop him coming up with any more ideas.
Ashworth during his time with the English set-up wanted to groom Gary Neville to be the England manager, so don't be surprised if it turns out that this batshit idea is his.

Status
Not open for further replies.