Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah and if there's a world where we can pay off Sancho's contract, sign Raheem for free and give him a 2 year deal for £120k a week, that'd be a miracle.

Chelsea would have to pay so much money than us for that to happen. It's so asymmetric because Chelsea owe Sterling £51m and we owe Sancho less than half of that.

United are in the driving seat on this one, given the Boehly regime

I would rather sign Martial or Depay on a free than this past it little journeyman.
Newcastle should go for Sterling, they don’t have much quality on the wings other than Gordon.
You have to factor in that Ashworth, Wilcox and Berrarda all know him too.
Good for them.
Ten Hag knew Antony too.

Yeah and if there's a world where we can pay off Sancho's contract, sign Raheem for free and give him a 2 year deal for £120k a week, that'd be a miracle.

Chelsea would have to pay so much more money than us for that to happen. It's so asymmetric because Chelsea owe Sterling £51m and we owe Sancho less than half of that.
Think you’re underestimating the Chelsea stupidity

I would rather sign Martial or Depay on a free than this past it little journeyman.
Newcastle should go for Sterling, they don’t have much quality on the wings other than Gordon.

Good for them.
Ten Hag knew Antony too.
Ten hag doesn't run football clubs.

IF IF IF this swap to happen then Sterling needs to take a pay cut. The whole point of moving Sancho is to get rid of the £325k+ per week wages he is on. No point getting him out and replacing him with another £300k+ earner.

He might as well sit out and take his pay, he has nothing to prove and he gets paid.
Sterling has got nothing to negotiate, he has had his time in the sunshine, all he needs now is to get paid.

Sure, but we don't know whether he's that kind of person or not. It's not a given he's just happy to stop playing for 3 years. That's basically retirement.

My only guess is that this is the only way we can get Sancho out of the club - with the possible alternative being that we pay him to play for Juventus.

Player who turns 30 in December, had his stats boosted by playing under Pep and in his City system. Think he is on a downward trend and we could potentially be about to sign a player in the ilk of Alexis Sanchez who will offer nothing.

As much as I cannot stand Sancho and want him gone. This isn't the profile of player we should be looking to sign.

I'm open to it as long as he is on relatively low wages (£100-150k a week). Two or three years of Sterling as a backup/rotational option and a truly elite wide player as a starter (Williams, Vini Jnr, Kvaratskhelia etc) isn't a bad situation. Means moving on Antony and Rashford in addition to Sancho obviously.

The most positive comments about Sterling coming in are based around vastly reduced wages. I suspect the club don't really have a huge desire to bring in Sterling and will do just that: offer a much reduced wage for a rotational place in the squad which Sterling and his representatives will decline.

In having these discussions reported by the media it might hasten Juventus' position to be more favourable for the club in signing Sancho.

Either Sancho goes to Juve or he will stay until Jan/Summer. I believe this is just a smokescreen.

Sure, but we don't know whether he's that kind of person or not. It's not a given he's just happy to stop playing for 3 years. That's basically retirement.
Chelsea will come back and negotiate with him in January if he sits tight

If we can get a fee and rid of Sancho I'd take Sterling on a 2+1 kind of deal. Can't be much worse than some of our other wingers

He has versatility and experience. It isn’t the most exciting transfer considering Sterling has dropped off since leaving City.

I think he’ll be better than Sancho and Antony will.

But we truly don’t know until he takes to the pitch. How is he with tracking back and pressing?

This would be a joke of a signing and proof nothing is changing here. It’s bad enough having Rashford but have Sterling too completed our collection of overpaid and past it England wingers.

The most positive comments about Sterling coming in are based around vastly reduced wages. I suspect the club don't really have a huge desire to bring in Sterling and will do just that: offer a much reduced wage for a rotational place in the squad which Sterling and his representatives will decline.

In having these discussions reported by the media it might hasten Juventus' position to be more favourable for the club in signing Sancho.

Either Sancho goes to Juve or he will stay until Jan/Summer. I believe this is just a smokescreen.
Has to be or Ashworth is smoking some cheap shite

We do need a better winger, but what the hell..Getting rid of Sancho is needed, but what sort of deal would Raheem be getting. Exactly the kind of overpaid declining player we should steer clear of. Liverpool and City player on top of that. Awful everything.

Honestly, if the alternative to Sterling is we have to put up with Rashford starting every game and Sancho sulking around the club for the next 12 months, I’ll be all for this move.

He’s not going to be a long term solution, but he’ll certainly be a useful option for the coming season, unlike Sancho and Antony.

Our top scorers last season were Bruno and Hojlund with 10 apiece.

Last season in the league, Sterling scored 8 goals in 22 starts and 9 sub appearances. By contrast Rashford scored 7 in 33 (26 as starter, 7 as sub). Let them share the burden.

He’s a huge United fan, a good ball carrier in congested spaces (a place we find ourselves in a lot due to this 424 obsession) and he will score goals. If he wanted it easy, he could sit back and pocket his £300,000 per week for the next 3 seasons. If he comes here on a reduced salary, and it gets Sancho off the books, we could do a lot worse.

Last edited:
If the only way to get rid of Jadon is this deal then I am all for it. Sterling playing for City/Liverpool doesn't bother me. So had Owen, Denis Law etc have played for other rival clubs.

Jason is a big negative influence at the club and Sterling will push Rashford for the spot so a win win. Only drawback are wages and deal structure.

He'd have been our 3rd top scorer last season.

I have faith in the new setup after the window we have had. If this happens, it will be with money included for Sancho, it won’t be a straight swap.

Chelsea have made it clear Sterling is a problem to them and an outcast. The most we will do is resolve their problem by giving him somewhere to turn up on a percentage of his wage.

Chelsea will pay money for Sancho otherwise we won’t accept it.

Hobsons choice. Keep Sancho who won't play or Sterling who could. Also at least if he won't play, won't be because he's previously fell out with the manager.....

If that was to happen (and under which conditions) it would be a signing out of 6.
There were dreams of rules that we would stick to though. That we could live in peace knowing no more Sanchez/Casemiro situations would befall us. Only one per season, for now at least, wouldn't really be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.