Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if Sterling is the answer, but I do know we will regret only having Rashford and Antony as the backups to Amad and Garnacho.

There's a reason why all the big teams have invested out wide. You could make a case for our set not even being top 10 in the league.
Exactly this. Chances are only Garnacho has an outside chance of being in the top 10. We cannot go in to the season with these four only because there is zero consistency there. You never know what you are going to get from any of them!

I don't know if Sterling is the answer, but I do know we will regret only having Rashford and Antony as the backups to Amad and Garnacho.

There's a reason why all the big teams have invested out wide. You could make a case for our set not even being top 10 in the league.
This is where I'm at. I don't think some appreciate how weak our forward line is.

I’m probably in the minority here but I’d take Sterling in a heartbeat. He may not be the player he once was, but would still be an upgrade on RW, since Rashford seems to have carried his form from last year into this. Plus, 5 years under Pep mean he is comfortable playing the ‘false 9’ position, which ETH seems to want to play in the big games, and would allow us to drop Bruno back to where he’s most effective in these games instead of wasting him up top. Plus, would allow us to dump Sancho and all his baggage onto Chelsea, how long before he’s crying on social media and undermining the manager when he doesn’t get played? From what I’ve heard, Utd have told RS’s reps that his salary would not match what he’s on at Chelsea, and would be capped at 200k/wk and apparently he’s ok with that. Get it done!!

Think Sterling will be a decent player for United. Don't know about you guys but your attacking options, bar Bruno, looks pretty average for a team looking to make top 4.

Deadline day in recent years has mostly just been tying up transfers everyone knew was happening.

Barring a huge development this evening, I can't recall deals of this magnitude (Sancho and Sterling) going into deadline day with question marks still all over it in recent times.

He's a better option than Rashford. Bring him in
Yes, we need to revolutionise our wings. Garnacho can make it but I think it’s over for Rashford and Antony. Amad it’s still too early but if he doesn’t break through this year with little competition it’s not looking good.
I still think we bring him in on loan.
me too. I’d welcome it

Ah yes, a perfectly balanced argument against this potential signing by using Reddit posts....never change Caf.

Sorry if Chelsea fan's opinions mean less to you than most of redcafe who have never watched him for chelsea.

I mean what do you want? If your counter argument is "no one who posts online's opinion is valid" then i hate to break to you where you're currently arguing.

This isn't a small subset of fans - this is 90% of posts about him saying he's useless. I mean just how much proof do you want? Watch him play - he's done, his fans say he's done, his international manager thinks he's done, his club manager thinks he's done - so much so he's been removed from the first team. The club will pay him to leave. Yet you know better? Based on...?

No one has a good word to say about him on the chelsea sub - he's boo'd off by his own fans at the ground, his stats are awful and he's reliant on pace on huge wages at 29 where he's about to decline in speed. Sounds like the ideal winger for the Woodward era. Not now, not ever.

Damn. Had a quick look down the table, and if Rashford continues last season's form, this is probably true. You have to get to West Ham & Palace before there's really a debate to be had, and at least those teams have a few hard workers where they lack talent.

Sorry if Chelsea fan's opinions mean less to you than most of redcafe who have never watched him for chelsea.

I mean what do you want? If your counter argument is "no one who posts online's opinion is valid" then i hate to break to you where you're currently arguing.

This isn't a small subset of fans - this is 90% of posts about him saying he's useless. I mean just how much proof do you want? Watch him play - he's done, his fans say he's done, his manager thinks he's done. The club will pay him to leave. Yet you know better? Based on...?

None one has a good word to say about him on the chelsea sub - he's boo'd off by his own fans at the ground, his stats are awful and he's reliant on pace on huge wages at 29 where he's about to decline in speed. Sounds like the ideal winger for the Woodward era. Not now, not ever.
His awful stats are still better than any of our current wingers though?

Not good enough for city, or Chelsea.

Great sign him up. Has any player missed more opportunities for city?

If he hampers Gernacho’s development it’s a crime.

Leave Chelsea to look after their own mess.

His awful stats are still better than any of our current wingers though?

I'm sorry but that's a really really poor metric for buying a guy on his wages, his age, who's we have to sell in a season or two's time.

And it's also not true. Garnacho had 7 goals and 4 assists last year and his best position is the left wing. He's got a super high ceiling and we should be playing him - if you want to block his development because of signing sterling then that's a sorry sight.

I'd be happy to see him here on loan provided we're not paying his whole salary. $100-150K week max. As 60 minute subs, Zirkzee, Rashford, Mount and Sterling. What a weapon that could be. Legit game changers off the bench. Running the socks off of ANY TEAM. Ok, Rashy will jog their socks off.

That's the main thing that might sell me on this after the initial repulsion to the idea :lol:

Everything that I've read about him recently highlights how probably his main goal professionally right now is to force his way back into the England team since he's not even 30 yet. With a new manager in charge, I feel like he'll back his chances to earn his place back if he plays well this season.

Also given the ugly and very public way that his Chelsea spell is ending, I think he'll have a fire in his belly this season wherever he is to go out and prove people wrong and get back to the standing that he wants to be at.

Slowly coming around to it, a motivated Sterling on discounted wages (for him) would be much much better than having to watch the likes of Antony or Sancho at any point this season. Even a down season from him last year still had him putting up better numbers than all of our wingers.

Could also help us get a different tune out of Rashford is he actually feels like his place in the XI is in jeopardy for a change.

Was he a teenager when he broke into the liverpool team? Feels like he's been around forever

Not my first choice but a loan wouldn't be a terrible idea especially if Chelsea pay most of his wages

This isn't a small subset of fans - this is 90% of posts about him saying he's useless. I mean just how much proof do you want? Watch him play - he's done, his fans say he's done, his international manager thinks he's done, his club manager thinks he's done - so much so he's been removed from the first team. The club will pay him to leave. Yet you know better? Based on...?

No one has a good word to say about him on the chelsea sub - he's boo'd off by his own fans at the ground, his stats are awful and he's reliant on pace on huge wages at 29 where he's about to decline in speed. Sounds like the ideal winger for the Woodward era. Not now, not ever.
It's just a little goofy to open with appealing to the strongest form of first hand evaluation then roll out a bunch of weak second hand evidence, literal quotes from random people on the internet.

You (presumably) have seen him play last season and think he is self evidently in decline. If so you don't really have to supplement with "Reddit agrees !"

Last edited:
Not good enough for city, or Chelsea.

Great sign him up. Has any player missed more opportunities for city?

If he hampers Gernacho’s development it’s a crime.

Leave Chelsea to look after their own mess.

How would he hamper Garnacho's development?
Garnacho can't play every game we would run him into the ground!

If the choice is between no one else, and Sterling on 100k a week loan, why not?

At the moment we have an awful Rashford and two youngsters. Why not bring in a bit of experience for the year and for all the games we will hopefully have?

A loan on a fraction of his wage is a yes from me. The deeper the squad, the better we can challenge on all fronts.

There are a ton of United fans who despise Bruno Fernandes and want him out. Maybe we should listen to them and feck Bruno off out of the club?! Brilliant logic! Let's listen to a bunch of bedwetters' immediate post-match reactions after a disappointing result. :lol:

And yes, Sterling got better output than any of our wingers. 8 goals and 4 assists in 2000 minutes meanwhile Garnacho got 7 goals and 4 assists in 2500 minutes.

It is not a transfer we spend money on, by the way. Sancho going the other way, as you may have noticed, there are no other club in the world interested in him with his current wages so the alternative is to sell him for pennies, which would be ridiculous given our attacking options.

How would he hamper Garnacho's development?
Garnacho can't play every game we would run him into the ground!

Ten Hag was well on his way to doing just that at the end of the season. We need to be wary and this helps out.

If we sign him does that mean Amad is going out on loan again?
Why would that be the case? There's enough games for everyone to play their fair share. If anything the gametime of Garnacho and Amad should be managed carefully so they don't get burnt out.

I'm sorry but that's a really really poor metric for buying a guy on his wages, his age, who's we have to sell in a season or two's time.

And it's also not true. Garnacho had 7 goals and 4 assists last year and his best position is the left wing. He's got a super high ceiling and we should be playing him - if you want to block his development because of signing sterling then that's a sorry sight.
Garnacho had better numbers on the right actually.

Crikey, there's enough games in the season to rotate between Sterling, Amad, Rashford and Garnacho.
Heck, Sterling may even rotate with Bruno at some points.

We desperately need more experience and variety in attack.

Why would that be the case? There's enough games for everyone to play their fair share. If anything the gametime of Garnacho and Amad should be managed carefully so they don't get burnt out.
Amad’s 22 now, he should be very able to last a full season.

Crikey, there's enough games in the season to rotate between Sterling, Amad, Rashford and Garnacho.
Heck, Sterling may even rotate with Bruno at some points.

We desperately need more experience and variety in attack.

Antony going out on loan then? :)

Mount?

I think he's a great player to be honest. Really underrated IMO.

Still only 29. Easily a top player for another 3 seasons. He's start on the left over Rashford any day of the week.

-----------------------------------------Hojlund---------------------------------
Sterling------------------------------Bruno----------------------------------Garnacho
---------------------------------Ugarte--------Mainoo----------------------------------
Shaw-----------------Martinez---------------De Ligt----------------------Dalot
-----------------------------------------Onana-------------------------------------------

Mazraoui
Maguire
Yoro
Mount
Casemiro
Collyer
Rashford
Zirkzee
Amad
Sancho
Anthony

(Also Evans, Eriksen, Lindelof and Malacia).

For the first time in years I look at that and think it's a genuinely strong team with a squad / options to change the game off the bench.

No excuses this time around for ETH, specially if we get Sterling.

Would be interesting. If it shifts Sancho, then I don’t see what we have to lose.

He’d have gone Liverpool, City, Chelsea, United.

Quite a tour of some of the biggest clubs in England.

Garnacho had better numbers on the right actually.

That;s really incidental since you have to have context - he has to play on the right because for some reason Rashford is undroppable. His best position is left wing. What you could say is even though he was playing on the right he still put up great numbers.

Would be interesting. If it shifts Sancho, then I don’t see what we have to lose.

He’d have gone Liverpool, City, Chelsea, United.

Quite a tour of some of the biggest clubs in England.

Yeah future quiz question material

Status
Not open for further replies.