Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sterling at Chelsea has arguably outperformed our wingers, though the bar hasn’t been particularly high. From Dan Ashworth's perspective, if he can bring in a winger who can deliver better performances than what we currently have, it’s an obvious move.

Regarding the scouting team, it’s likely different since INEOS came in this season, but that doesn’t mean they won’t make mistakes. No club gets every signing right.
Slightly better, only very slightly, who will cost money to buy and pay wages to. No financially literate person buys him.

This is poor from Chelsea's manager

The problem is alienating Sterling like this.
With 3yrs on his contract at 325k, it works out somewhere around 50m.

Even if they are willing to give him away for free, unless Sterling is willing to take a massive pay cut, which would be less than half he is on now, he's got no incentive to leave, unless he is that desperate to play football.

The only plausible deal here would be to actually pay him to leave the club.

I doubt he gets anything above 150k from any non Saudi side

Give it the big one after managing Leicester and Parma

Won’t be long until the entire squad is done with him

Absolute nobody who will be managing RB Salzburg in 18 months.

Chelsea requires a strong personality. Better than someone like Potter who’s like your mates dad and all the players can walk all over him. Chelsea need their manager to be a bigger dickhead than all their players, so it might just work.

Not a fan of his but I’d rather him on 2+1 contract than Sancho right now.

He’s a United fan and being left out of the Euros squad might light a fire up his arse with the World Cup 2 years away.

Don’t see this happening now… thankfully.

Sterling at Chelsea has arguably outperformed our wingers, though the bar hasn’t been particularly high. From Dan Ashworth's perspective, if he can bring in a winger who can deliver better performances than what we currently have, it’s an obvious move.

Regarding the scouting team, it’s likely different since INEOS came in this season, but that doesn’t mean they won’t make mistakes. No club gets every signing right.
Agree with both of your points. But you understand that a lot of our fans are going to be concerned about signing someone that’s turning 30 and will probably want massive wages.

We have the Sancho case at United, since the public boiling over happened over an EtH statement about Sancho levels in training.

Don't think the reaction was overwhelmingly negative to the manager but there was certainly controversy.

I'll be happy enough if Sterling doesn't happen. But we still do need another winger, I don't think we have enough quality in wide areas with only Garnacho, Rashford and Diallo.

Agree with both of your points. But you understand that a lot of our fans are going to be concerned about signing someone that’s turning 30 and will probably want massive wages.

Absolutely. A loan would be ideal, but it’s unlikely that Chelsea or Sterling’s representatives would be open to that arrangement.

I think Chelsea have badly overplayed their hand here in assuming that Sterling is desperate enough to play football that he's going to throw away 10's of millions of pounds. The prudent play is to sit it out and wait for Maresca to get sacked.

I think Chelsea have badly overplayed their hand here in assuming that Sterling is desperate enough to play football that he's going to throw away 10's of millions of pounds. The prudent play is to sit it out and wait for Maresca to get sacked.
You're crazy if you think that this isn't coming from the hierarchy. Maresca being at Chelsea or not has zero impact on Sterling at this point.

Hear me out, Sancho to Juventus loan with an obligation to buy. Sterling to United loan with option to buy and subsidised wages.
I would be for this, if we can't get long term wing option in.
Kingsley coman is another option but Sterling knows the league and is more versatile.

You're crazy if you think that this isn't coming from the hierarchy. Maresca being at Chelsea or not has zero impact on Sterling at this point.
I doubt Maresca is the one pushing Sterling out. Seen as he has no influence on signings.

Loan on deadline day (with option to buy) with us paying 50% wages.

That would be grand. I’d even take Chilwell on a similar deal. They are both decent experienced England internationals as stopgaps. I don’t think there’s much of a downside apart from the negative perception of taking Chelsea’s cast offs yet again. As squad players you could do much worse and I think they raise the floor rather than the ceiling. Chillwels injuries are a massive concern too also but it seems to have gone totally quiet about him anyway. Sterling playing for Utd City Chelsea and Liverpool would be the most Seria A thing the premiership has ever seen.

That's probably fair, and if another manager isn't going to play him then it comes down to a simple money conversation. It's still a big gamble to assume a player approaching the end of his career is going to give up 10's of millions of pounds to play football.

Realistically, he's already achieved everything he is going to in the game. It's not like he's going to go anywhere and get that champions league medal he's missing. They owe him 50m over the next 3 years. Threatening to come in every morning and jog around the field by himself puts the player in a very strong position.

Yes, getting rid of him to someone else would be better, no disagreement there. But given that clubs aren't exactly queuing up to take him off our hands, that may not be an option.
I don't believe for one second we couldn't at least get rid of him on loan, which is far better than committing to pay a 29 year old winger on the decline for the next 3 years.

There is just no way of painting this in a positive light. Its just plain dumb.

I don’t mind if it’s a loan move with option to buy (not obligation). While they pay Sancho for £45m plus adds on or something.

That actually seems reasonable all things considered, as long as he's for the RW and garnacho goes LW.

There’s no chance he’s getting £200k a week off of us.

Chelsea have shot themselves in the foot by refusing to play him and the rest of the reserves. They’ve got absolutely no negotiating power.

Theyll be paying majority of his wages wherever he goes.

If Sterling was the only player being pushed out of the Chelsea squad, then it’s not something new or unheard of in world football.

The issue I have is…Chelsea have a bunch of players training by themselves, all because Boehly wanted to play real life FM for the last 2 years.

It’s Chelsea and Boehly that have created this mess not the players.

Everyone that comes is a squad player. Nobody should be guaranteed starts. He IS good enough to start for us though, despite what some on here say

Starting to warm to this on the right terms.Might give Rashford a kick up the backside as well.

Starting to warm to this on the right terms.Might give Rashford a kick up the backside as well.
His backside is kick proof now, Garnacho’s one didn’t work either so I think Sterling’s one would be light work.

There’s no chance he’s getting £200k a week off of us.

Chelsea have shot themselves in the foot by refusing to play him and the rest of the reserves. They’ve got absolutely no negotiating power.

Theyll be paying majority of his wages wherever he goes.
Seem's we're willing to offer £150k per which would be in line with what we pay Shaw and Eriksen presently

Terrible source and who pays a squad player that much? Just doesn't sound realistic.
There's squad player and squad player.
If Sterling is the Rashford backup he'll probably pick a fair share of minutes just by virtue of United being engaged in EL, cups, League. Possibly could take starter spot on merit depending on performances, who knows ?

What I mean is that expectations for him are probably higher than for Amass or Evans even though they're all squad players.

Last edited:
I'll be happy enough if Sterling doesn't happen. But we still do need another winger, I don't think we have enough quality in wide areas with only Garnacho, Rashford and Diallo.

Don't worry, we have Antony too

I mean there's squad player and squad player.
If Sterling is the Rashford backup he'll probably pick a fair share of minutes just by virtue of United being engaged in EL, cups, League. Possibly could take starter spot on merit depending on performances, who knows ?

What I mean is that expectations for him are probably higher than for Amass or Evans even though they're all squad players.
That's true, but still a lot. Good chance we get stuck with him on pretty high wages.

He can play effectively across three forward positions. So his versatility would undoubtedly come in handy.
If he accepts being a squad player, and his wages aren't obscene, fair enough, you can't really go wrong with that.

We desperately need more goals and attacking thrust, especially if we're going to get this Rashford.

I think he'd be our best winger right now if he comes with a point to prove. Watched the West Ham away game last year in the stadium and Sterling tore them apart, with pace and power and great dribbling.

Video of just last season, think he still has something in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.