Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone that comes is a squad player. Nobody should be guaranteed starts. He IS good enough to start for us though, despite what some on here say
Preferable to get cash for Sancho but Juve won't play ball.

If we do get Sterling then I guess at the very least we will hopefully getting a player with a major point to prove with no problem with effort.

Terrible source and who pays a squad player that much? Just doesn't sound realistic.
Glad to hear it's a terrible source. For a squad player who has been on the decline for years, we shouldn't be offering him anywhere near those wages.

Theoretically - as a permanent transfer, we should only be offering him below 100k. No chance he would accept that as he can earn more elsewhere and also be a guaranteed starter somewhere else.

I'm still convinced that Sterling won't end up at United by the end of this window. If Woodward was in charge then I could see it happening, but I can't see Ineos sanctioning this.

That's probably fair, and if another manager isn't going to play him then it comes down to a simple money conversation. It's still a big gamble to assume a player approaching the end of his career is going to give up 10's of millions of pounds to play football.

Realistically, he's already achieved everything he is going to in the game. It's not like he's going to go anywhere and get that champions league medal he's missing. They owe him 50m over the next 3 years. Threatening to come in every morning and jog around the field by himself puts the player in a very strong position.
I think what you're overlooking is the potential for another contract when he's 32. Would he get a lucrative MLS contract 3 years from now if he's sat in the reserves until then? Could be a case where giving up £15-20m in the short term is worth it in terms of the exposure to secure one more significant payday - though of course that comes with a great deal of uncertainty. At the same time, a cursory Google search suggests he's made about £115m in his career to date - so presumably he's financially secure enough to take a bigger picture view.

Plus on top of that if playing for England remains a priority for him (which by all accounts it does) then he'd be giving that up too realistically if he doesn't opt for a move.

It's entirely possible that I've huffed far too much copium (especially as an avowed Sterling hater who would love nothing more than to see the back of him) but despite that I just don't think this situation is as one-sided as many in here have portrayed.

Preferable to get cash for Sancho but Juve won't play ball.

If we do get Sterling then I guess at the very least we will hopefully getting a player with a major point to prove with no problem with effort.
That's the main thing that might sell me on this after the initial repulsion to the idea :lol:

Everything that I've read about him recently highlights how probably his main goal professionally right now is to force his way back into the England team since he's not even 30 yet. With a new manager in charge, I feel like he'll back his chances to earn his place back if he plays well this season.

Also given the ugly and very public way that his Chelsea spell is ending, I think he'll have a fire in his belly this season wherever he is to go out and prove people wrong and get back to the standing that he wants to be at.

Slowly coming around to it, a motivated Sterling on discounted wages (for him) would be much much better than having to watch the likes of Antony or Sancho at any point this season. Even a down season from him last year still had him putting up better numbers than all of our wingers.

Could also help us get a different tune out of Rashford is he actually feels like his place in the XI is in jeopardy for a change.

I genuinely think Rashford is done.
A bunch of my mates including myself have said this for a while. I do sympathise with how he had to play through his back issue but he just looks a shell now.

I hope he recovers he seems a very decent bloke.

Agreed. I think his back injuries have taken their toll. He’s lost a step and he was too reliant on pace before his injury, now it’s clear he doesn’t trust himself to beat a defender so he just recycles possession and plays safe. And unfortunately his football IQ has always been low.

He is. You can see a lot of his pace is gone now, why would it come back? And 95% of his game was based around facing up a full back and being able to blitz them. If he can't do that, what does he offer? He still has enough pace to play through the middle and hang on the shoulders of defenders and make short darting runs but he can't stay onside and he doesn't seem interested in playing that position, according to his interview with Neville a year or so ago.

He definitely has to reinvent himself but given the amount of time he spends on good pr and responding to tweets suggesting he is disrespected, i doubt he would do it.

That actually seems reasonable all things considered, as long as he's for the RW and Garnacho goes LW.
You see, I'm torn on this, I feel Garnacho becomes somewhat one dimensional on the left, always wanting to cut inside. If nothing else, it'll be good to have the versatility. Nacho and Sterling can play both wings, Rashford can play left sideand up top and Amad can play Right side or centarlly. Ideally I'd want Sterling on loan. This way, we can go for true starter next summer.

Anelka played for Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

Yossi Benayoun played for Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. (plus West Ham)

Sterling for Liverpool, City, Chelsea and now possibly United. Sterling's career in this regard would be most interesting given how big rivalries are between Liverpool, City and United.

Are there other players that played for all these teams?

Anelka played for Arsenal, Liverpool, City and Chelsea.

Yossi Benayoun played for Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. (plus West Ham)

Sterling for Liverpool, City, Chelsea and now possibly United. Sterling's career in this regard would be most interesting given how big rivalries are between Liverpool, City and United.

Are there other players that played for all these teams?
Nobody has played for the 4 I don't think. A few have done 3.

If I knew that we were going to sell Rashford and sign someone who we consider close to being the best left sided forward in the world, then I wouldn't be against signing Sterling as a backup/rotational option. He would need to be on a 2/3 year deal of course and take a massive pay cut.

However, I assume in reality what would actually happen is that we won't move Rashford on and we'll be stuck with a couple of fairly uninspiring options in Rashford and Sterling. For this reason, it is unpalatable to me.

Just to add, the only other option is if we deem Garnacho to be the potential World Class left sided forward that I referred to in my first paragraph. We would then have to sign a quality wide player for the right to compete with Amad.

I can't see Sterling ending up at United. However, I don't really care what clubs a player previously played for, my only consideration is if the player would improve the team/ squad, or if he's better than the players currently at the club.

At the moment we have 3 wide players who are either woefully out of form, not good enough, on a terminal decline, or out the door (Antony, Rashford, Sancho). Sterling would be better than those 3 straight away.

And his experience probably gives him an edge on Amad and Garnacho too, who for all their raw talent and potential, are still learning the game and are not the finished article.

So from a purely footballing point of view, I'd have no problem taking Sterling. However I know there are other considerations like his age, wages etc that may not make it feasible.

Reported that the “Chelsea exiles” not training with the first team squad include

Kela; Chalobah, Chilwell, Angelo; Sterling, Anjorin, Vale, Fofana; Broja, Lukaku, Washington

Some are in talks to move like Lukaku and Kepa - not sure there are any particularly exciting options to operate as a make weight in a Sancho sale to Chelsea - just shows how much of a scattergun transfer policy Chelsea have had recently with so many youngsters arriving - the mirror lists the fees paid

I think Broja is a decent player, someone will benefit from him breakout like Solanke one day.

£150k-£200k a week for someone to be a rotation/squad player sounds ridiculous doesnt it.

Take the money saved on Sancho and take a £10m gamble on someone with potential who you can pay £50k a week.

I think Broja is a decent player, someone will benefit from him breakout like Solanke one day.
I agree. The few times I've seen him I've been very impressed and don't know why he doesn't get more chances.
If we were still looking at a deal with Chelsea (for Sancho) I'd be looking at him and Chukwuemeka

Nothing against Sterling if it's a one-year loan. Actually think he's better than any of our wingers atm (except, maybe, Garnacho). However, if it's permanent transfer then think we should avoid it.

Rumours says he has been offered 150k a week. If I were him, I'll firmly root myself in Chelsea and keep earning 300k a week. Yah. It's painful not to play, but for 150k a week......I wouldn't need a sec to consider.

Rumours says he has been offered 150k a week. If I were him, I'll firmly root myself in Chelsea and keep earning 300k a week. Yah. It's painful not to play, but for 150k a week......I wouldn't need a sec to consider.
Push for a loan, best of both worlds then.

£150k-£200k a week for someone to be a rotation/squad player sounds ridiculous doesnt it.

Take the money saved on Sancho and take a £10m gamble on someone with potential who you can pay £50k a week.

We already have two of those.

Chelsea needs to pay him off or he stays and keeps collecting his contract. Said before I don't see us offering more than around half his wage. No-one out there is paying him 300-400k even as first choice, here he's a squad player hoping to stake a claim ahead of Rashford mainly.

Chelsea will have to honour it someway, can't just say you won't be playing much so move and accept half or a third of what he's getting.

Michael Owen, Paul Ince, Peter Beardsley (barely)... Raheem Sterling?

It's a small group in the modern era to join.

We already have two of those.

So? Still a far better use of the clubs money to get another one.

Paying Sterling £10m a season is a greater cost-per-season than spending £25m on a young talent and paying them £50k a week.

To the people who want him here, have you actually honestly watched him play for Chelsea?

He is exactly the type of profile of player we should be avoiding and it's a signing i'd expect us to make under Woodward - the guy is massively overpaid at the tale end of his career, he's 29 and relies on pace - something which will soon desert him at that age and has been stinking up the place for Chelsea, he's fallen off a cliff. Kicked out of the england team for poor perfromance despite being one of Gareth's favs.

if you need proof some extracts of his time at chelsea since joining - i'll try to put it in time line order

Some extracts from the chelsea subreddit 1 year back:

User1
"He’s trash. He doesn’t offer anything Werner couldn’t and is even worse because he lacks creativity. I didn’t like the signing but looked ok for Tuchel. He’s not making it past this season with Potter."

User 2
"It’s his total lack of commitment and fight….I feel like some days, he really doesn’t give a flying shit about Chelsea. I would rather have an average player who wears his heart on his sleeve, week in, week out. Was the same with Lukaku…walked round the pitch sulking most games, thank god he’s fooked off…"

User 3:
"i personally think he’s a waste of a player. he’s selfish doesn’t put up his head when he’s dribbling. let’s not even talk about how terrible his finishing from close range is most times. but for 40m he’s not a bad buy. + he’s better than some of the attackers we have so"

6 months ago :

User 4
"Finished player, few here are coping but reality is he's simply not a top player anymore
Was suppose be our Marquee signing"
User 5
"He's embarrassing. He only tries hard when he gets to shine, but when he's a part of the build up you see him doing it like he don't mean it. Yesterday game he killed off a lot of attack in the build up just by whiffing his pass. Then when he get into space where he can get an assist you see him hauling ass as if there's a bear behind him. Infuriating to watch."

There are literally hundreds of comments that read like the above...i just picked the first few on the sterling performance page(s)

Then a quick google for sports news sites:

" Raheem Sterling had a game to forget as he was booed by Chelsea fans in their clash with Leicester.
The 29-year-old missed a penalty, squandered several chances, and took one of the worst free-kicks ever. Blues fans lost patience with Sterling and chanted 'get him off' at manager Mauricio Pochettino."

First season 28 apps 6 goals, second season 31 apps 8 goals...3rd season kicked out the team and made surplus to requirements.

And people here want to sign him? Insane.

To the people who want him here, have you actually honestly watched him play for Chelsea?

He is exactly the type of profile of player we should be avoiding and it's a signing i'd expect us to make under Woodward - the guy is massively overpaid at the tale end of his career, he's 29 and relies on pace - something which will soon desert him at that age and has been stinking up the place for Chelsea, he's fallen off a cliff. Kicked out of the england team for poor perfromance despite being one of Gareth's favs.

if you need proof some extracts of his time at chelsea since joining - i'll try to put it in time line order

Some extracts from the chelsea subreddit 1 year back:

User1
"He’s trash. He doesn’t offer anything Werner couldn’t and is even worse because he lacks creativity. I didn’t like the signing but looked ok for Tuchel. He’s not making it past this season with Potter."

User 2
"It’s his total lack of commitment and fight….I feel like some days, he really doesn’t give a flying shit about Chelsea. I would rather have an average player who wears his heart on his sleeve, week in, week out. Was the same with Lukaku…walked round the pitch sulking most games, thank god he’s fooked off…"

User 3:
"i personally think he’s a waste of a player. he’s selfish doesn’t put up his head when he’s dribbling. let’s not even talk about how terrible his finishing from close range is most times. but for 40m he’s not a bad buy. + he’s better than some of the attackers we have so"

6 months ago :

User 4
"Finished player, few here are coping but reality is he's simply not a top player anymore
Was suppose be our Marquee signing"
User 5
"He's embarrassing. He only tries hard when he gets to shine, but when he's a part of the build up you see him doing it like he don't mean it. Yesterday game he killed off a lot of attack in the build up just by whiffing his pass. Then when he get into space where he can get an assist you see him hauling ass as if there's a bear behind him. Infuriating to watch."

There are literally hundreds of comments that read like the above...i just picked the first few on the sterling performance page(s)

Then a quick google for sports news sites:

" Raheem Sterling had a game to forget as he was booed by Chelsea fans in their clash with Leicester.
The 29-year-old missed a penalty, squandered several chances, and took one of the worst free-kicks ever. Blues fans lost patience with Sterling and chanted 'get him off' at manager Mauricio Pochettino."

First season 28 apps 6 goals, second season 31 apps 8 goals...3rd season kicked out the team and made surplus to requirements.

And people here want to sign him? Insane.
Ah yes, a perfectly balanced argument against this potential signing by using Reddit posts....never change Caf.

We desperately need more goals and attacking thrust, especially if we're going to get this Rashford.

I think he'd be our best winger right now if he comes with a point to prove. Watched the West Ham away game last year in the stadium and Sterling tore them apart, with pace and power and great dribbling.

Video of just last season, think he still has something in the tank.

Sterling video last season showing he has done much more in one season than Sancho in 3 years here.

Having said that, option 1 is still sell Sancho to Juventus. Failure so, swap with Sterling is not really a bad deal.

All has gone quiet on this one. I suspect chelsea settling sterling’s wages will be a huge stumbling block and will be far too complicated to complete before the deadline.

I don't know if Sterling is the answer, but I do know we will regret only having Rashford and Antony as the backups to Amad and Garnacho.

There's a reason why all the big teams have invested out wide. You could make a case for our set not even being top 10 in the league.

All has gone quiet on this one. I suspect chelsea settling sterling’s wages will be a huge stumbling block and will be far too complicated to complete before the deadline.

Yeah far too late in window to sort something so complicated, guess he will remain in limbo then

Getting him on loan and paying him half of his wages (which is still half of what we would have been paying Sancho) wouldnt be the worst option in the world and is somewhat feasible.

Chelsea save some money and more importantly we arent commiting to a really bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.