Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a huge lot, other than United's potential willingness to actually have Sterling at their club.

We'd be better off just settling Sterling's contract issue with him and then releasing him instead of somehow being roped into paying a substantial fee for Sancho and then pay half of Sterling's wages on top of that, whilst presumably also giving Sancho a decent contract.

If we can get 1:1 swap deal going, then it's OK by me. Anything more than that, it's pointless for us.
It won’t be a 1:1 swap (if it is to happen).

United won’t mind keeping Sancho, who is much younger and has value. Hes also been reintegrated to the squad. Sterling on the other hand has no squad number, is on much more money and is far older.

All goals last season. Look at the positions he takes up and how he drives in to the box. Like I have said a lot today already, he’d be our best wide attacker and is a consistently dangerous player who’s won more than most of our team. Yes he’s played for our rivals and yes he’s on big wages but if he were to take a cut and come to what I understand is his boyhood club, then those things will be looked over when he shows his undoubted quality. This is very much a fergie signing, in the same vein as Owen and Sheringham, only the added bonus of him not even being 30 yet.

I’m all for it.

Why do you think he would do well? What does he do well as a footballer? He's totally useless.
The state of this post. If he’s totally useless what are our wingers then? Rashford, Antony are pointless. It’s Amad’s first season here basically. That leaves us with only Garnacho for the whole season. Not a fan of Sterling but i’d argue that he’s better than all our wingers.

I mean, no, rubbish idea, but has there ever been a player who’s played for United, Liverpool, City and Chelsea? would be some real Seria A shit.

I’m not totally against this thing, but if it’s going to happen the terms of the deal and Sterling’s contract have to be spot on. No huge contracts for waning stars. Otherwise I fear it’d be 1 step forwards 2 steps back this summer.

I’ve seen him enough over the years to know he’d be a better option than, Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Amad (right now). I’ve no issues swapping him with a player who has no interest in playing for us.
FFP aside I agree with this.

Sounds like this might be on. If Ashworh is feeling enthusiastic about it I imagine we've received positive news on the terms for Sterling.

what a damning indictment of rashford this is. We have diallo, garnacho, and yes antony who would be more than enough if the player who seems guaranteed to play every week was remotely competent. So strange to be looking at this position.

for balance, what works in sterlings favour is that hes a natural right sided wide player. Im a little tired of inverted wingers that arent particularly good at it. My guess would be that if we did get him it means no striker, and rashford/hojlund would be considered the 2 for that position.

Who tweeted about a surprise signing the other day? They weren't wrong, were they?!

Sancho needs to leave and if the only realistic way to do it is to (kinda) swap him with Sterling, I'd take that. It's not like there are cash buyers waiting - just the likes of Juve begging for subsidised loans by the looks of it.

what a damning indictment of rashford this is. We have diallo, garnacho, and yes antony who would be more than enough if the player who seems guaranteed to play every week was remotely competent. So strange to be looking at this position.
That's a midtable finish without rashy heroics

United won’t mind keeping Sancho, who is much younger and has value. Hes also been reintegrated to the squad. Sterling on the other hand has no squad number, is on much more money and is far older.

"Reintegrated to the squad" :lol:

Not even been on the bench for either of your first two league matches and that is despite Höjlund, Shaw, Lindelöf and Yoro being out with injuries. So at best Sancho is a player you bring in to warm the bench when you have even more injuries than you do now, otherwise he'll be eating the prawn sandwiches in the stands or playing Call of Duty at home while the games are on. United have zero intention of continuing to pay £1M a month for a player with that kind of role.

Huge mistake!! How many times have we been here before with a player who best years are behind him.

He's a good player, I just don't see where he fits unless Rashford is going to spend more time in the middle
He was a monster for Liverpool, very good for City
He could play lw, rw and 10 if I remember correctly..
He is definitely better than Antony, Sancho and maybe Rashford

This is a myth, there is a reason he was at City for so long under one of the best managers ever.

He was coached at City to be in the right places at the right time. He didn't have that privilege with us as our players are nowhere near as good at creating chances as City's players, nor will he have that privilege for you. When the onus is on him to do it himself, he is wasteful and makes bad decisions as @The holy trinity 68 said.

And we're just supposed to ignore the fact Sancho is just as much a reject at United as Sterling is at Chelsea?

I also don't see how Sterling's value is all of a sudden zero because of everything that's happened. Just now Chelsea are finishing up a Lukaku sale for 30M€ and he's been on the sidelines since 2022 with zero chance of ever returning. Worst case scenario with Sterling he gets shipped out on loan similar to Lukaku in the last 2 seasons where we get at least some of his costs off the books without being forced to take on Sancho in the process.

The only way that Sterling/Sancho swap works is if both clubs agree to meet halfway because otherwise what's the point? Both clubs are desperate to get rid of the outcasts so it's either going to be an "I scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of deal or it just doesn't happen.
You'se are trying to flog a player who is 30 in December with his best years, obviously behind him. Who released a statement two weeks ago and is completely frozen out of the squad, with no squad number. We are trying to get rid of a 24 year with obviously his best years ahead, that fell out with the club a year ago.

"I scratch your back, if you scratch mine". After what you sold Mount to us last year, nah. Hope it doesn't happen him and Chelsea are left with 500 players, horrible club. Just have to look who the captain is, sums up their fans.

Sancho must be alot more trouble than we realise for someone in his position to think that's a good deal.

Maybe he sees it as 2-3 seasons of good quality football from Sterling. Taking pressure off Garnacho and Amad for that period of time.

Sterling can do things that Antony can't, he can go inside and outside and beat a man. Antony can go inside and that's about it.

If only the swap deal was for Antony. Think the entire forum would be in unanimous agreement

I've seen too many gifs, memes (sp?), YouTubes jokes about Sterling to approve of this move. :lol:

In all seriousness, I'll rely on our new team to do what they think is best here.

I hear your points. My view is unless it's 1:1 swap, it makes zero sense for Chelsea.

"Reintegrated to the squad" :lol:

Not even been on the bench for either of your first two league matches and that is despite Höjlund, Shaw, Lindelöf and Yoro being out with injuries. So at best Sancho is a player you bring in to warm the bench when you have even more injuries than you do now, otherwise he'll be eating the prawn sandwiches in the stands or playing Call of Duty at home while the games are on. United have zero intention of continuing to pay £1M a month for a player with that kind of role.
Given he was in exile last season he’s obviously been brought back in to the fold. If he stays there’s no issue.

You need rid of Sterling, who has far less value, than we do of Sancho.

Any deal will be on United’s terms.

In the words of Monica from Friends when Rachel was about to make a fool of herself "I kinda wanna see what happens." Against my better judgement, but feck it. Bring him in.

Why do you think he would do well? What does he do well as a footballer? He's totally useless.
He's so useless that he's done something that no United forward has done since SAF's days, he's scored 20 PL goals in a season

He was coached at City to be in the right places at the right time. He didn't have that privilege with us as our players are nowhere near as good at creating chances as City's players, nor will he have that privilege for you. When the onus is on him to do it himself, he is wasteful and makes bad decisions as @The holy trinity 68 said.
He can be wasteful but I think it's overexaggerated by viral moments on social media, when it goes bad for him in front of goal, it goes very bad. But it's not as frequents as people think. But I agree he's going to have to be more clinical if he comes here as we don't create as much.

The story has picked up steam the last few days. Firstly, I think he would be better for us than Sancho. Sancho just isn't going to work out. I guess it depends how much in wages we are willing to pay as United are trying to get away from really high wages. I don't think we should sign him if he's going to be on higher wages than the likes of De Ligt and Zirkzee.

On the other hand - he is definitely an upgrade on Sancho and Antony. I was just watching UnitedPeoplesTV and he mentioned it might be United playing the game. For instance - knowing PSG are watching etc... to show they aren't going to go in desperate for a player they are chasing.

Sterling is a good player and he has a few seasons left him, we just aren't going to get a sell on value from him IMO. I'd rather have him there for 2 seasons than Sancho who is just never going to show up.

Brexit Dan
The exact opposite of a Brexit signing. Sterling is a rich black person who is hated by the Daily Mail and doesnt do interviews sucking up to the red tops scum journos. He is not an example of "Good old English"

I'm warming up to this. If they get the money side right it could work out very well for us.
How? Sterling is arguably worse than both Rashford and Sterling. Surely it makes sense if we get a better player who comes into the 11

Status
Not open for further replies.