Raheem Sterling to...? | joins Arsenal on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but then I witnessed our wide players taking it in turns to cock up attack after attack over the weekend.

Like Sterling is going to fix that. He is marginally better than Rashford/Amad but at his wages and with a new 4 yr contract with us, I'd rather waste money for 2 yrs on Sancho than 4 yrs on Sterling (or whatever number of years he gets)

Would he be the first Premier league player to play for these 4 clubs?

I think there’s a WPL lass who’s played for all 4

I'd rather take Chilwell instead of Sterling. I know Chilwell is a crock but we could add him to our list of crocked left backs.

Law of averages dictates that if you stockpile enough of them then one of them should be injury free at any given time

As Michael Scott would say "NOOOO! GOD! No, God, please no! No! No! NOOOOOO!"

And yet he wasn't deemed good enough for Liverpool, City or Chelsea and THAT was during his peak years. He's nearly 30 now
What is this? :lol: It's not often I come across posts with so little sense.

He was a starter for Liverpool for 3 years starting from when he was 17 and was bought by City because he was so good and was a starter there for 7 years, winning PL 4 times in the process and scoring 91 goals in the league alone, but somehow he was deemed not good enough for City? So please do explain how he was a starter for City for 7 years if that is the case.

Hopefully we are entertaining this to force Juves hand in negotiations

Not a huge lot, other than United's potential willingness to actually have Sterling at their club.

We'd be better off just settling Sterling's contract issue with him and then releasing him instead of somehow being roped into paying a substantial fee for Sancho and then pay half of Sterling's wages on top of that, whilst presumably also giving Sancho a decent contract.

If we can get 1:1 swap deal going, then it's OK by me. Anything more than that, it's pointless for us.

That sucks for the both of us. They both will get new 4/5 yr contracts which we are stuck paying....don't see the point

And yet he wasn't deemed good enough for Liverpool, City or Chelsea and THAT was during his peak years. He's nearly 30 now
He was excellent at Liverpool & City. He played well last season and he does cause defenders problems because of his pace. What he lacks is composure, but if we’re shifting Sancho I’d take him as a replacement and he would also help out Garnacho & Amad with his experience.

To be fair, you are the ones who have given him absolutely zero value with the very public demotion and exclusion from the squad.

He isn’t worth any transfer fee now on the contract he is on and knowing that he is worthless to Chelsea.

That’s part and parcel of the game Chelsea are playing.

Not necessarily true. Lukaku was of no use to Chelsea, other clubs still saw a lot of value in him. Sterling is in that boat now.

We'd honestly be better off just paying his contract off and letting him join United for free than get used by United to get out of Sancho's contract with an incoming transfer fee whilst somehow also getting finessed into paying half of Sterling's wages at United, which was the suggestion I was replying to.

Unlike others I'd gladly him over Sancho with gis current arttiude and the continual fraud that is Rashford
Well yes if the choice was between Sancho and Sterling. But you would hope it wouldn’t be and our scouts actually did work this summer on a winger since we already knew we wanted Sancho and Antony out and also have reservations on Rashford, whom we were open to selling

Surprised that Barca aren’t pulling a few more willies to get in on the act. They must have loads of dross they can swap

I don't see where Stirling fits into this team because I can't see him on the right or middle and he's not getting in on the left. Rather him than Sancho though.

Would he be the first Premier league player to play for these 4 clubs?

I think there’s a WPL lass who’s played for all 4
Peter Beardsley is the closest I can think of. Played one game for us before Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton, and Man City had him.

A bit surprised to see his low amount of minutes in premier league. Rarely has he played many games. Fantastic seasons from 2017-2020 though. I wonder if he just lost his motivation.

Even if I dislike him, he still got 8 goals and 8 assists last year, which was a better output than any United player - in way less minutes. A bit mindboggling, and when you put it like that, it sort of makes sense to sign him.

SeasonMinutes PlayedGSAxGI
2023/241,9728810.72
2022/231,886649.43
2021/222,1211370.00
2020/212,5341090.00
2019/202,6512060.00
2018/192,77017150.00
2017/182,58418170.00
2016/172,5097140.00
2015/161,920630.00
2014/153,0477100.00
2013/142,219970.00
2012/131,748260.00

I’ve seen him enough over the years to know he’d be a better option than, Antony, Rashford, Sancho and Amad (right now). I’ve no issues swapping him with a player who has no interest in playing for us.

See that is your issue, you are looking at the Sterling of the past that looked good in a Pep system, like most of his players. This version is not the same.

It does, but presumably on lower wages.
Who says new 5 year deals? Just mirror the existing terms and durations of their existing contracts.

No way any of the new Utd hierarchy sanctions a fresh long term commitment - but if I had to over pay a player for the next two years on roughly the same amount... well I know we definately cannot get a tune out of sancho. roll the dice on Sterling

To be fair, you are the ones who have given him absolutely zero value with the very public demotion and exclusion from the squad.

He isn’t worth any transfer fee now on the contract he is on and knowing that he is worthless to Chelsea.

That’s part and parcel of the game Chelsea are playing.

And we're just supposed to ignore the fact Sancho is just as much a reject at United as Sterling is at Chelsea?

I also don't see how Sterling's value is all of a sudden zero because of everything that's happened. Just now Chelsea are finishing up a Lukaku sale for 30M€ and he's been on the sidelines since 2022 with zero chance of ever returning. Worst case scenario with Sterling he gets shipped out on loan similar to Lukaku in the last 2 seasons where we get at least some of his costs off the books without being forced to take on Sancho in the process.

The only way that Sterling/Sancho swap works is if both clubs agree to meet halfway because otherwise what's the point? Both clubs are desperate to get rid of the outcasts so it's either going to be an "I scratch your back if you scratch mine" type of deal or it just doesn't happen.

That’s unfair. Sterling left Liverpool at 21, and it was clear the club wanted to keep him. His decision to move was driven by a desire to develop further as a player, and in hindsight, that choice was fully justified.

At Manchester City, he had seven strong seasons, contributing 131 goals and 73 assists in 339 games, not to mention the numerous trophies he helped secure.

While things haven't gone as planned at Chelsea, to say he wasn’t deemed good enough is simply nonsense.

He was excellent at Liverpool & City. He played well last season and he does cause defenders problems because of his pace. What he lacks is composure, but if we’re shifting Sancho I’d take him as a replacement and he would also help out Garnacho & Amad with his experience.

Yeah not sure what that guy is talking about, Sterling was excellent as a youngster for Liverpool and great for City for a long time :lol:

Swapping Sterling for Sancho and getting him on an acceptable salary is a good bit of business. Sancho contributes nothing to the team, Sterling will, even if he's wasteful. We need experience in the forward line, we've a load of kids that will not produce a steady stream of goals across the season.

Well yes if the choice was between Sancho and Sterling. But you would hope it wouldn’t be and our scouts actually did work this summer on a winger since we already knew we wanted Sancho and Antony out and also have reservations on Rashford, whom we were open to selling
No one will buy Rashford currently. We can just hope he revives some what this season and we bin him next. That is why we can't look to our scouting for wing replacements. We are literally stuck with Rashford and a none committed Sancho. Unless we can sneak a deal for a guy like Sterling. Who isnt long term but can benefit us till we bin Rashford and possibly Antony to recruit upgrade/s next summer

As far as swapping him and Sancho, the only thing that gives me pause is how the wages will be taken care of. There's 0 chance INEOS want to foot that bill for 3 more years, so you assume Chelsea would have to eat a good chunk of it if this deal were to happen.

Player wise, he's a clear upgrade on Sancho and probably an upgrade on Rashford as well. Will still be frustrating, but at least he adds something whereas Sancho is basically a 0 especially on that LW>

A bit surprised to see his low amount of minutes in premier league. Rarely has he played many games. Fantastic seasons from 2017-2020 though. I wonder if he just lost his motivation.

Even if I dislike him, he still got 8 goals and 8 assists last year, which was a better output than any United player - in way less minutes. A bit mindboggling, and when you put it like that, it sort of makes sense to sign him.

SeasonMinutes PlayedGSAxGI
2023/241,9728810.72
2022/231,886649.43
2021/222,1211370.00
2020/212,5341090.00
2019/202,6512060.00
2018/192,77017150.00
2017/182,58418170.00
2016/172,5097140.00
2015/161,920630.00
2014/153,0477100.00
2013/142,219970.00
2012/131,748260.00
He's a good player, I just don't see where he fits unless Rashford is going to spend more time in the middle

This is the lowest we will get, signing an ex Liverpool, a city and Chelsea reject.

Status
Not open for further replies.